Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly it is literally a made up concept that can be made to fit whatever you want. To that end I did read a book series once where the central theme was that all mythological beings are actually aliens that are vacationing on Earth. So in that case a kitsune WOULD be an alien and they could have whatever the fuck powers you wanted to give them. As the idea is that all the human myths are basically cobbled together accounts of some alien on vacation wilding out.
This only proves my point. There's a consistent origin for all existing myths in the setting. If, however, someone were to include that, say, demons are legitimate demons that come from hell and not another planet, that would be weird as shit.

No, I said that you have to be consistent. If you're reinterpreting a mythical creature in a way that aligns with all of the other mythical creatures that already in the setting, that's fine and dandy. But if the rest of them are being portrayed as their most common (or second most common) versions, then you don't fucking do that.

But you aren't actually. I think that is the argument you had in your head but it isn't the one that you wrote out which is why your getting so much pushback. You didn't say that for example ( I am making a roleplay where all the mythological beings are aliens and this person tried to join with a religious figure and was kicked out.)

What you actually did was go on this long tangent saying essentially I think demons are only religious figures and thus can't be made into an alien race for my roleplay. Which is where everyone is like, dude that's stupid. Demons aren't real so they can be aliens every bit as easily as they can be religious figures.

But you aren't actually. I think that is the argument you had in your head but it isn't the one that you wrote out which is why your getting so much pushback. You didn't say that for example ( I am making a roleplay where all the mythological beings are aliens and this person tried to join with a religious figure and was kicked out.)

What you actually did was go on this long tangent saying essentially I think demons are only religious figures and thus can't be made into an alien race for my roleplay. Which is where everyone is like, dude that's stupid. Demons aren't real so they can be aliens every bit as easily as they can be religious figures.
That is 100% what I said.
But that requires loose, reachy interpretations, which would still stick out against the traditional or media-popular depictions of the other monsters. Brute force can't make anything fit a particular setting, and sometimes, you have to meet everything else halfway.
As you can see above, I wrote that changing the lore behind kitsune to fit the themes of the other characters in the roleplay wouldn't work because the other characters are accurate to their most common depictions, (or second most for the fae character) so one character diverging from that pattern would still be noticeable. Nowhere did I say that reinterpreting kitsune should incur fines.

A cursory google search of kitsunes reveals: "Kitsunes are often presented as tricksters, with motives that vary from mischief to malevolence. Stories tell of kitsunes playing tricks on overly proud samurai, greedy merchants, and boastful commoners, while the crueler ones abuse poor tradesmen and farmers or devout Buddhist monks."

If you're going to accept the darker version of the Fae for your story, it's really not that that difficult to make a more malevolent kitsune. They can, in fact, be extremely malevolent creatures and that is a common adaptation of them

I wrote that changing the lore behind kitsune to fit the themes of the other characters in the roleplay wouldn't work because the other characters are accurate to their most common depictions, (or second most for the fae character) so one character diverging from that pattern would still be noticeable.
But it's not like it'd be the only character diverging from a pattern. The fae character seems to be the only who didn't choose to base their character on the most common depiction of a monster and one guy played Frankenstein's Monster (Which, in a roleplay where everyone else plays characters based on folklore, diverges from the pattern quite a bit more than someone using a less popular version of the kitsune).

A cursory google search of kitsunes reveals: "Kitsunes are often presented as tricksters, with motives that vary from mischief to malevolence. Stories tell of kitsunes playing tricks on overly proud samurai, greedy merchants, and boastful commoners, while the crueler ones abuse poor tradesmen and farmers or devout Buddhist monks."

If you're going to accept the darker version of the Fae for your story, it's really not that that difficult to make a more malevolent kitsune. They can, in fact, be extremely malevolent creatures and that is a common adaptation of them
I have no idea where you found that but honestly I'm willing to take the L and deal with the accompanying anime nonsense than let people jump down my throat about about the non-importance of worldbuilding.

I have no idea where you found that but honestly I'm willing to take the L and deal with the accompanying anime nonsense than let people jump down my throat about about the non-importance of worldbuilding.
Honestly dude, it's up to you. I'd be annoyed about it too, but it seems may people disagree. It's not their role play though, so at the end of the day, do whatever works for you.

Literally just...google kitsunes? I found three websites within the first like five results on google that indicated that kitsunes can be creatures that vary from playing harmless pranks on humans for their own amusement to literally sucking away a human's life force, feasting on their flesh, and taking over their human body

Nobody is saying that worldbuilding isn't important. Just that in this case, it was mostly arbitrary and made little to no sense.

The worldbuilding of the RPs you are talking about don't suck because it's anime. The worldbuilding sucks because it's the same generic homogenized crap that's been on the site for years.

Heeeey guys, we should probably not derail the topic.

Let SP3CT3R SP3CT3R have their pet peeve. This is where we express ourselves and what we don't like, not a place where we are supposed to attack someone just because we disagree with how they view an RP or what is supposed to go into it.

So... getting back on topic.

I tend to just grit my teeth and nod quietly whenever someone brings up a very quick and very specific romance. It is something I can take but not something I enjoy.

"No I don't want to play our your fantasy, Karen, and no you choosing what you want to play for me doesn't make it even, that isn't even my crush, Karen, that is just some dude you wanted to play."

(This is from previous sites I used to roleplay on, I thankfully haven't had this happen on this site yet)

When you create a roleplay, you play by your rules and your rules only! If someone wants to add their own rules but you don't like them, then don't add them! If someone (even you) is breaking the rules, then tell them to stop! I cannot stand people breaking my roleplay's rules 50.000.000.000.000.000 times within one single post and then telling me that I'm "overreacting". If I want to play by the rules in my own roleplay then I should be able to play by the rules dammit! (Edit: Sorry for saying dammit)
Also, it's not like I have a million trillion quantrillion rules or something like that, it's usually something like "just keep it semi-realistic and don't use superpowers" and some people can't even do that?!?!?! Then I'm the bad person for kindly and gently reminding them of my 1-2 rules that they said they have already read?!?!?!?

Heeeey guys, we should probably not derail the topic.

Let SP3CT3R SP3CT3R have their pet peeve. This is where we express ourselves and what we don't like, not a place where we are supposed to attack someone just because we disagree with how they view an RP or what is supposed to go into it.

So... getting back on topic.

I tend to just grit my teeth and nod quietly whenever someone brings up a very quick and very specific romance. It is something I can take but not something I enjoy.

"No I don't want to play our your fantasy, Karen, and no you choosing what you want to play for me doesn't make it even, that isn't even my crush, Karen, that is just some dude you wanted to play."
I like you for using Karen as an example

On my side of things:

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO NOT DO SOMETHING IC JUST BECAUSE YOU (OOC) KNOW SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN DAMMIT

This:

"My character is depressed, suicidal, and hates and snarks at all of humanity."

Not to be outdone the next person makes a character who's exactly the same.

And then not to be outdone, anothr tragic backstory sad character crawls put of the woodwork.

And so on and so forth.

Please, guys, could we have just one character who's emotionally stable. Preferably more than one. I'm cool woth maybe one or two of these types but eight? Like, dude.

Oh, and almost all of these characters are the romanticised versions of those traits so they don't have an effect on the character aside from twenty four seven angsting.

This:

And then not to be outdone, anothr tragic backstory sad character crawls put of the woodwork.

And so on and so forth.

Please, guys, could we have just one character who's emotionally stable. Preferably more than one. I'm cool woth maybe one or two of these types but eight? Like, dude.

Oh, and almost all of these characters are the romanticised versions of those traits so they don't have an effect on the character aside from twenty four seven angsting.
Consider: the character acts depressed, suicidal, and misanthropic, but actually has a nice life and is just doing it for attention.

This:

And so on and so forth.

I would be half tempted to instigate group therapy sessions in that case. It would be a dumpster fire of trauma olympics but I would at least get a kick out of it. Maybe put in a straight man therapist NPC who visibly rolls their eyes at all these teenagers who think their depressed and instead are just trying to get attention from idk absentee parents or something.

Last edited:
I would half tempted to instigate group therapy sessions in that case. It would be a dumpster fire of trauma olympics but I would at least get a kick out of it. Maybe put in a straight man therapist NPC who visibly roles their eyes at all these teenagers who think their depressed and instead are just trying to get attention from idk absentee parents or something.
Why have the therapist be an npc. If I saw a bunch of characters like that before I posted my CS, I would immediately drop my original character concept in favor of a therapist.

Why have the therapist be an npc. If I saw a bunch of characters like that before I posted my CS, I would immediately drop my original character concept in favor of a therapist.

True I was just assuming the problem popped up after everyone already had their characters. But certainly if it was still open for character applications I would definitely play a therapist OR an actually depressed person who hated the trauma lamas with the fire of a thousand suns.

True I was just assuming the problem popped up after everyone already had their characters. But certainly if it was still open for character applications I would definitely play a therapist OR an actually depressed person who hated the trauma lamas with the fire of a thousand suns.
Usually any rps I'm in are run by me. I'll break my own rules just that once to make a therapist.

Honestly either or... If you don't know how to make them speak it because you don't personally know the language it's not dumb to have their words be in English with an indicator that they're speaking in another language. (Like in actual books)
Yeah, some of my characters speak made up languages so that's what I usually do. I was just kidding because I've had that same argument with someone trying to impersonate a cockney dialect. It was painful.

Yeah, some of my characters speak made up languages so that's what I usually do. I was just kidding because I've had that same argument with someone trying to impersonate a cockney dialect. It was painful.
Really? I find it charming to write in the dialect of a character, spelling things as they’re said, if they have a German accent for example. I might be biased from binging Pratchett though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back