Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I find it charming to write in the dialect of a character, spelling things as they’re said, if they have a German accent for example. I might be biased from binging Pratchett though.
It can work if you do it well, but this was just painful. I suppose it's worse if you know how it's meant to sound irl and then they butcher it.

Depending on the circumstances, if I have to phonetically write an accent I will do it as terrible as I possibly can. You know, for comedy.

Honestly, I don't think anything written could possibly be worse than my verbal fake accents. Especially my "german" one. Ouch.

Honestly either or... If you don't know how to make them speak it because you don't personally know the language it's not dumb to have their words be in English with an indicator that they're speaking in another language. (Like in actual books)
One player in an Exalted game I am in uses different colors to indicate what language their character is speaking. Brown for Low Realm, golden yellow for Old Realm, and red for Flametongue.

One player in an Exalted game I am in uses different colors to indicate what language their character is speaking. Brown for Low Realm, golden yellow for Old Realm, and red for Flametongue.
I tried to use italics but it seemed to confuse people so I gave up

This is kind of a venting thread. I know, we have a few but I just thought of this one. What are some things you've felt like saying in the past or even recently, but you never said it because you didn't want to feel like you were being a jerk?

Personally, it was a while back I was in a descriptive RP group and the rule was at least 5 lines. Most of us did more than that but the rule was 5 lines. So we had one member who constantly wrote about 1 to 1 1/2 lines. We politely asked him to extend the number of lines he was writing because the minimum was 5. They said they weren't very descriptive and couldn't write that much because they were very busy with work and all.

We understood IRL came first but this was a descriptive RP group so you had to be at the minimum amount of descriptive, there was no point in joining a descriptive RP group if you weren't going to be descriptive. He claimed he joined because he wanted to try. We understood that so we made it clear to him, he didn't have to rush his responses, to take as much time as he needed to write at least 5 lines. He agreed and yet we were still getting 1 to 1 1/2 lines, lucky if we could get exactly 3.

So we talk to him about this again and he tells us he doesn't know how to be descriptive and extend his lines. So we give him tips on easy ways to extend his lines, even some illusionary tactics to give the appearance of more lines than he actually had.

• Repeat the events from the post you're responding to from your character's perspective and then add your response.
  • Thoughts and emotions, what is your character feeling, what are they thinking about?
  • Actions, describe what they are doing.
  • Use the 5 senses, What do they feel? What do they see? What do they hear? What do they smell? What are they tasting?
  • Pick a bigger font and make the text bigger
  • Add an image and float it to the left or the right. Add multiple if possible.
  • Add locations, time of day or weather.
We gave him all of this and a month later he's still giving us the same amount of lines, less actually, it dropped to about half a line and we were lucky to get a line and half from him anymore. Again he was spoken to, not by me because at this point I'd given up on him actually doing the 5 lines, what was so irritating at that point is the GM actually lowered his quota to 3 lines, something we know he was capable of every now and again and suddenly he couldn't even do that.

He gave us the same excuse he wasn't descriptive, he was busy but here was the thing, we all had lives, some of us had jobs, some of us were in college, one of us was in the military and another guy had a job and kids. We weren't rushing him to give responses, we weren't moving super-fast pace so there was no reason for him to feel the need to rush and strangely he was on more than any of us were. At this point I wanted to say he was lying, I wanted to say he just didn't want to be descriptive and had no intention of trying and was just hoping we'd all give on him meeting any sort of quota that he knew about before he signed up, but I didn't want to assume his situation and say so, because I felt like that would be an elitist thing to do and I'd be a jerk if I did because I know not everyone is on the same level, not everyone can pump out the same amount of lines and even 1-line roleplayers aren't inherently bad or lazy and maybe I wasn't being understanding enough, but I felt like there were so many red flags with him.
This happens alot with new writers

Also don't use google translate to name your characters or their weapons, powers, etc.
Potentially put a plot of something through multiple languages on Google Translate and try to make a story from that. Eventually it becomes unrecognizable. I used to do that when I was bored as a kid.

Also don't use google translate to name your characters or their weapons, powers, etc.
Aye. A few months ago Id have argued with that but,

Im in a R20 campaign where the gm names everything by translating words to hindi. Which is fine. But, but its kinda funny cause even he himself sometimes forgets and mispronounces some of them.

Zida of the Mida'asaind company, Nay'ka Oony, Dikha Anivala, Aka'Shalts church, Naz'et etc. etc.

There are at least three ways in which we tend to refer to one of the PCs. Smearen, Smiren or Smirman? As for his pet it's Shirk, Shurk and Shulk. Idk anymore, I wrote down all six in my notes.

(edit) Its a fun campaign tho.

Last edited:
When their character sheet doesn't include important information, like age

(They wanted a student/teacher romance, so their characters age was more important than it would perhaps usually be)

When their character sheet doesn't include important information, like age

(They wanted a student/teacher romance, so their characters age was more important than it would perhaps usually be)
I've had people do that. I don't do romance but I tell people clearly I don't do child heavy RPs. To many people tend to OD the child. I am serious. I do not enjoy playing someone who takes a 10 year old into danger. Or having someone trying to get me to take care of their character. Or the child that someone keeps tossing in to be cute but actually just breaks up the plot. Or, in one RP, the person would literally stop replying to my character to have their character fawn over their baby. And don't get me started don't get me started on those disturbing children that act way too adult.

Too many peoble to list running around DA are bad about people trying to omit things that are listed in the "NO" section of someones rules when they approach for an RP. Basically waiting until right before the RP starts or you're a few posts in before tossing in the info. Like after a several back and forth about rules and plot for a occult plot suddenly the persons character has a huge breakdown "Why is this happening! I'm only 12 years old!"

(Um, we talked about no kids and you told me she was in college)
(Um . . . yeah, well I usually play her 12 but you didn't want a kid. But I can't get into it if she's an adult)

GHOSTBLOCK

I've had people do that. I don't do romance but I tell people clearly I don't do child heavy RPs. To many people tend to OD the child. I am serious. I do not enjoy playing someone who takes a 10 year old into danger. Or having someone trying to get me to take care of their character. Or the child that someone keeps tossing in to be cute but actually just breaks up the plot. Or, in one RP, the person would literally stop replying to my character to have their character fawn over their baby. And don't get me started don't get me started on those disturbing children that act way too adult.

Too many peoble to list running around DA are bad about people trying to omit things that are listed in the "NO" section of someones rules when they approach for an RP. Basically waiting until right before the RP starts or you're a few posts in before tossing in the info. Like after a several back and forth about rules and plot for a occult plot suddenly the persons character has a huge breakdown "Why is this happening! I'm only 12 years old!"

(Um, we talked about no kids and you told me she was in colledge)
(Um . . . yeah, well I usually play her 12 but you didn't want a kid. But I can't get into it if she's an adult)

GHOSTBLOCK
I very rarely do kid based role plays for that exact reason, especially in a fantasy setting (at one point their character kidnapped mine without asking and then locked her in his house) but I do get a craving for a wholesome adventure of just "ooh look, a flower" and not death, torture and PAIN every now and again.

Last edited:
I'd never roleplayed as a kid before I did so here on this site. I found it surprisingly fun. It was a nice break from the cynical serious and edgy characters i usually played. Having my kid character navigate the perils of a cursed world broke my heart a little. :(

This doesn't really make me angry, but it does annoy me a bit:

As an aspiring writer, I like to get feedback so I know how to improve. I sometimes ask for it but I almost never get it. Is it annoying and selfish to ask? Or is my writing just bad? Silence makes me anxious.

I'd never roleplayed as a kid before I did so here on this site. I found it surprisingly fun. It was a nice break from the cynical serious and edgy characters i usually played. Having my kid character navigate the perils of a cursed world broke my heart a little. :(

This doesn't really make me angry, but it does annoy me a bit:

As an aspiring writer, I like to get feedback so I know how to improve. I sometimes ask for it but I almost never get it. Is it annoying and selfish to ask? Or is my writing just bad? Silence makes me anxious.
I hate it when you write a slightly edgy or tense response and they just go silent.

Was it too much? Was it not enough? Honestly give me something please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back