Viewpoint What you cannot stand in characters?

I dunno, I think there could've been a way to work that.
View attachment 716928

Aye, training a bear to carry artillery shells is one thing but when you have a wild bear trying to 'nuzzle wuzzle' your leg OwO...

All i'm thinking is.. damn, that'll make for a perfect carpet 👌

Aye, training a bear to carry artillery shells is one thing but when you have a wild bear trying to 'nuzzle wuzzle' your leg OwO...

All i'm thinking is.. damn, that'll make for a perfect carpet 👌
Oh. Oh. Well, that changes things.
I think there's something to be said about the less is more philosophy for making characters cute. Overselling it isn't great.

• Wanting to play as a WK:40k Dreadnought in a high-fantasy medieval world. (how is that even a thing?... 🤦‍♂️ )
  • A Dwarf wanting to have a magazine-fed, semi-automatic shotgun in a Lord of the Rings themed world.
  • Playing as a brown-bear in a post-apocalyptic world and wondering why no-one wants anything to do with them.
  • Playing as a literal fox in a super-hero, vigilante thing.
  • Super edgy, Spanish teenager Commander from a Noble family in a Metro themed world.
  • Anyone that wants to roleplay as a furry in a world that has no mention of anthropomorphic characters.
  • Generic under-aged, super tall and strong super human that's always drunk but somehow manages to achieve everything in life.
  • Joining a Valkyria Chronicles RP (WW2 theme) and having weaponry that you'd find in a Sci-fi comic.
This is less "didn't so the research" and more "these people are legitimately dumb."

Oh, here's one of my favorites that I forgot to add: Characters with really, really weird names.

Imagine a post-apocalyptic world set in Germany and here are our characters.

Hans
Alice
Otto
Shadow-Wolf

Now, using some high intelligence skills.. let's work out which name is the out-liner.. hm.. German names.. Hans, yes that makes sense.. Alice.. sure.. Otto.. sure..

Shadow-wolf..

hmm..

hmm...

Is that German?

hmm..

hmm.......................

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is less "didn't so the research" and more "these people are legitimately dumb."

I hope you're okay with me borrowing that quote the next time I need to explain to someone about why their character is terrible. :blowkiss:

Not so much characters but the people that play them. Anyone who is over confidant is a huge red flag for me. If you are someone who feel's they "know" everything , said person doesn't ever seem to grow. If your character is sub par we can work together and make it great. Anything is workable. Like, I mean as long as members are easy to work with. I can't work with people that are not willing to make charters that work together to create a story. That is my basic peeve. If this gets disrupted. Although, being choosy with who I invite into my roleplays has collected a good group of people. Talented too. =)

Oh, here's one of my favorites that I forgot to add: Characters with really, really weird names.

Imagine a post-apocalyptic world set in Germany and here are our characters.

Hans
Alice
Otto
Shadow-Wolf

Now, using some high intelligence skills.. let's work out which name is the out-liner.. hm.. German names.. Hans, yes that makes sense.. Alice.. sure.. Otto.. sure..

Shadow-wolf..

hmm..

hmm...

Is that German?

hmm..

hmm.......................

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If I might play devil’s advocate on this one. I could make a character named Shadow-Wulf in the RP setting you just described and it would make perfect since. Code names for German operatives were quite common. And depending on the timeline those kinds of names would of been common among the adults, and told through stories passed on through the children. A character who chooses not to go by their real name for some fear of their past, or an event in their life might choose a pseudo name to take its place. Ergo, Shadow Wolf.

If I might play devil’s advocate on this one. I could make a character named Shadow-Wulf in the RP setting you just described and it would make perfect since. Code names for German operatives were quite common. And depending on the timeline those kinds of names would of been common among the adults, and told through stories passed on through the children. A character who chooses not to go by their real name for some fear of their past, or an event in their life might choose a pseudo name to take its place. Ergo, Shadow Wolf.

Aye, that does make alot of sense, given the in-depth explanation that you've given. Thumbs up from me. 👍

I find it edgy however when someone tries to pass off a name like Shadow-Wolf, Lethal Fang or anything that sounds like it comes from Metal Gear as their birth-name ~ especially within a certain demographic. To quote myself:

Who in the fucking fuck would give birth to a child and call them "Diablo."... in Russia?...

"Hey Dimitri, what shall we call our new-born son?.."

"I know Anya, let's call him something Spanish to sound edgy."​

Aye, that does make alot of sense, given the in-depth explanation that you've given. Thumbs up from me. 👍

I find it edgy however when someone tries to pass off a name like Shadow-Wolf, Lethal Fang or anything that sounds like it comes from Metal Gear as their birth-name ~ especially within a certain demographic. To quote myself:

Who in the fucking fuck would give birth to a child and call them "Diablo."... in Russia?...

"Hey Dimitri, what shall we call our new-born son?.."

"I know Anya, let's call him something Spanish to sound edgy."​

Yeah. Should definitely not do that. Some people lack in the naming of characters when it comes to the creative part. Those aren’t really names that people would realistically go by. Nicknames? Sure. But you’re momma ain’t going through 32 hours of labor and going with “NightWing” as the fruits of her labor.

Nicknames? Sure. But you’re momma ain’t going through 32 hours of labor and going with “NightWing” as the fruits of her labor.

Imma have to also borrow that quote for when i'm having to explain for the millionth time why "Punching Spider" is not an acceptable name for a character based within a War of the Roses RP. 🤣

"Arise, Ser Iron Badger, Knight of the silly-names."​

So, any d&d wizard?

No. In d&d settings, there are often rules and structure in place to limit a Wizards power. The same does not extent to many RPs I have encountered. Sometimes it's not even the characters fault. It's the magical structure that allows magic to be used infinitely and forever as needed/wanted with no consequences therein.

There are often rules and structure in place to limit a Wizards power.
rules and structure in place to limit a Wizards power.
rules and structure
You're funny.

There is no set of rules so rigid someone will not find a way to break them. In the case of D&D, the magic rules are so easily abusable that there are entire threads on D&D based forums on tales of abuse of said magic rules.

D&D wizards are unnecessarily overpowered.

"Funny" characters should be purged.

Do not make mockery of my worlds; do not insert forced comedy into a battlefield littered with the damned.

I've always liked how Gandalf used his powers in the Lord of the Rings, favouring his knowledge and trust in man to guide forwards ~ but had the absolute power of a Wizard when it was needed.

Your joker-inspired character is also bad, remove it from existence.

You're funny.

There is no set of rules so rigid someone will not find a way to break them. In the case of D&D, the magic rules are so easily abusable that there are entire threads on D&D based forums on tales of abuse of said magic rules.

D&D wizards are unnecessarily overpowered.

I'm only speaking of my experience. I've been fortunate to play in a setting where there have been rules and humorous Wizard based mishaps since I've only done d&d with close friends. It's mostly RP where I've grown annoyed with people spamming the most OP spells that have ever spelled with no cooldown, consequence, or having magic for all occasion.

Do I agree that Wizards are overpowered though? 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back