Other What ruined a fandom for you?

For me, it's the pedophilic, incest and rape obsessed community of the Black Butler manga and anime... The lore is so interesting and dark but, oh, the people (mostly teenage girls) that don't get it at all. Ugh!

If not the children, the adults who whinge about the kids seeing it. Like Rebeca you made the crotch spawn because you wanted to be a parent . . . SO BE A PARENT AND stop that crotch goblin of yours from seeing my filthy nasty shit. Fuck. I did my job I mark, I tag, I warn what more do you want me to do? I can't get away from your spawn! XD

photo_2021-02-19_14-02-52.jpg

Related to the above people who don’t get the themes of the original series getting offended by such and such a fandom going “woke” or “PC” or bring over run by “SJWs”

Like Harry Potter is a good example. It is literally a story about fighting bigotry and white supremacy. The theme is the furthest thing from subtle.

But you bring up the politics or even themes of bigotry (that once again are expressly laid out in the books) and your being too woke or whatever.

Like my friend I am genuinely curious what series you read. It wasn’t Harry Potter I can tell you that.

Undertale was ruined for me because of the toxic Sans fangirls who would be like "Sans is mine, and only mine, and if you like Sans then I will hurt you!" like geez, they're getting all possessive of a fictional character.

My Little Pony was ruined for me because of.... reasons that I do not want to speak about.

Black Butler was nearly ruined for me because of SebaCiel fangirls and some toxic Grell fans who would attack you if you didn't use he/him pronouns for Grell.

If not the children, the adults who whinge about the kids seeing it. Like Rebeca you made the crotch spawn because you wanted to be a parent . . . SO BE A PARENT AND stop that crotch goblin of yours from seeing my filthy nasty shit. Fuck. I did my job I mark, I tag, I warn what more do you want me to do? I can't get away from your spawn! XD

View attachment 850810
With the recent nsfw purge in wattpad, I see them trying to migrate to ao3 and tbh, this is what I'm worried about. Wattpad's demographic runs younger. Like, I can already see them trying to police people even though the tags are very very clear about what the fic contains. Not the author's fault that you didn't heed them!

Black Butler was nearly ruined for me because of SebaCiel fangirls and some toxic Grell fans who would attack you if you didn't use he/him pronouns for Grell.
I thought Grell went by she/her? Seen some ppl saying Grell was a transgender woman. Others saying he/him, they/them. It's been a while since I was into Black Butler so I'm not sure.

With the recent nsfw purge in wattpad, I see them trying to migrate to ao3 and tbh, this is what I'm worried about. Wattpad's demographic runs younger. Like, I can already see them trying to police people even though the tags are very very clear about what the fic contains. Not the author's fault that you didn't heed them!

I thought Grell went by she/her? Seen some ppl saying Grell was a transgender woman. Others saying he/him, they/them. It's been a while since I was into Black Butler so I'm not sure.

Grell is indeed a transgender woman. I use she/they pronouns for Grell and some toxic Grell fans would attack me for it.

Grell is indeed a transgender woman. I use she/they pronouns for Grell and some toxic Grell fans would attack me for it.
Ah, I see. That's stupid that you get attacked for using Grell's correct pronouns lol. I don't get it.

Tbh I'm a little confused by the whole 'ruin a fandom thing'. I'm 20 so I don't think I'm *that* old, but man things have changed so much. Tbh 'cancel culture' doesn't sound like the right word, almost a mix between that and outrage culture? Like, I remember when AoT came out and you were weird if you didn't ship ErEri. I was never a fan, but now I've seen ppl being canceled for just that.

I suppose it's just an attempt to be morally superior? Like 'look at this, look how gross they are and I'm above it'. In terms of incest pairings, that's kind of the point. I hate those, so I block and mute words and move on. I swear half my social media feeds are people ranting about how disgusting some ship or some show was, and how you should unfollow or block if you're into it. So much brain power being spent on things you hate cant be healthy.

I do agree fandom spaces should be more safe for children, unless the show is meant for adults. I feel like there needs to be more emphasis on how to curate your internet experience instead of callout posts or just complaining about it.

I guess what this rant is about how all fandoms suck, you just have to carve out a corner with people who like it that you can stand lmao.

Though I do think mlp was ruined for 11 year old me by the internet

Vergil from Devil May Cry 3, used to be my favorite character of the entire franchise, by far.
Then came Devil May Cry 5 where they completely ruined Vergil, along with the fandom for me. Sigh.

Alright so the Fnaf fandom and everything
1. Because they were shipping Bonnie and Freddy
2. Because they were shipping people from very different age groups, even if they're animatronics. I don't think Scraptrap and Chica need to be gettin it on
3. 'Evan Afton'. The unconfirmed name of the crying child. Unconfirmed, because even MatPat declared it not viable because of the means of how they got the name.
Also I really don't like the name for some reason. Nothing against the name itself, just the fact that people are so fast to accept it when there's no viable proof.
4. The nsfw. I just can't with them anymore. They're friggin robots I mean come on
I know that Roxanne Wolf and friggin Foxy are people to simp for but not like that my dudes

Anyways that's kinda why
5. Also, the lame stories that people make for the characters. Like, the plots are just so........bland...........

I can't say fandoms were 100% turned away from due to stuff but I have taken breaks from the fandoms due to drama associated with them. Mostly if I had a bad rp experience or something with it then I tend to leave it alone for awhile.

I am also on the Undertale train, tired of the dark side of that fandom, especially as someone who actually still rps Sans, there's some stuff in it that is just....WHAT POSSESSES YOU TO ENVISION A SKELETON LIKE THAT....

Sadly there are just those people on every fandom though. Idk tho it is even more aggravating when it has to do with your own favorite characters from a fandom being essentially soiled.

Alright so the Fnaf fandom and everything
1. Because they were shipping Bonnie and Freddy
2. Because they were shipping people from very different age groups, even if they're animatronics. I don't think Scraptrap and Chica need to be gettin it on
3. 'Evan Afton'. The unconfirmed name of the crying child. Unconfirmed, because even MatPat declared it not viable because of the means of how they got the name.
Also I really don't like the name for some reason. Nothing against the name itself, just the fact that people are so fast to accept it when there's no viable proof.
4. The nsfw. I just can't with them anymore. They're friggin robots I mean come on
I know that Roxanne Wolf and friggin Foxy are people to simp for but not like that my dudes

Anyways that's kinda why
5. Also, the lame stories that people make for the characters. Like, the plots are just so........bland...........
I second this, but for literally every fucking fandom.
Like I seriously hate every god damn fandom because the community ruins everything about it. People suck so much ass.

Voltron, because people wouldn’t just let me enjoy the show and didn’t believe me when I said I don’t care about your fan made ships. I don’t care who you ship with who, as long as it isn’t creepy or weird, and I don’t ship anyone myself. I just wanted to watch the show for what it is. But nope, apparently that’s not allowed.

I used to be really into Jojo. Watched fan theories, read the manga, etc. But there is an entirely different level of simply "being a Jojo fan" that I can't stand. They've got like the same 4 jokes that they repeat constantly and they raid the comments of every classic rock song on Youtube. "ERRRR UHHH, IS THAT A JOJO REFERENCE!?" Pic related. Sure you've got a good taste in anime but that doesn't make you better than everybody else, dude.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Harry Potter. Not because of Rowling, honestly, I stopped caring long before then. I grew up with it, like most, read the books as they came out in elementary school [God, I think Goblet Of Fire was the newest and I read that in.. I wanna say fifth grade? I remember being so hyped and then crushed for Harry when he asked out Cho and it didn't work out as I read it on the living room floor.] I think my interest in Harry Potter died with the release of the Prisoner of Azkaban film. The first two were like watching the scenes that used to play out in my head but now, in front of me, on the screen, but when Richard Harris passed away it just pulled me out. He was my Dumbledore. When I read the books, he was the face and man I pictured and so when he appeared on screen he was exactly, to the dot, what I had always envisioned. When Michael Gambon took over, he just... wasn't it. As silly as it may seem, my immersion and connection to it was all broken. Just stopped caring. I skimmed through Deathly Hollows because I just.. didn't care much but wanted to finish the series.. You know, I don't think I have ever sat through the Deathly Hollow films. I've seen bits and pieces, but never bothered to actually watch them.

Saw Fantastic Beast for the first time like... last year because I was bored and it was on. Haven't seen the new one, although I heard it was rather bad. [Honestly, Fantastic Beast was a giant boiled pile of meh].

Lord of the Rings. So, I like Lord of the Rings, but I was never a massive lord of the rings guy [As in I was never invested into the world all that much]. I've read the novels, including the Silmarillion which I didn't like much despite everyone telling me constantly how amazing it is, I've seen the old 80's cartoon movies of both lord of the rings and the hobbit [I still hum when 'there's a whip, there's a way' sometimes at work] and you know what? What killed it for me was the fandom, itself. Mostly the novel enthusiast. Tolkien had a very... loose feel over the story, its a soft magic system with a lot of implied things and because of this fans tend to build up what is 'right' and 'wrong', what is their 'truth' and what is their 'false' and heaven forbid that differ from someone else's. Just.. eh, not a fan of them. Also they tend to be some of the most obnoxious people on the planet.

I really loathe fandom culture in-general and I try to distance myself from it whenever possible which has honestly led to me being pretty resistant to talking with other nerds irl. I'm just used to people being defensive weirdos about fiction: I used to be that person, and I've interacted with plenty of people like that. And it's annoying when the only thing people open up about is the manga they read or the shows they watch. I think Steven Universe was the nail in the coffin for me because I was really into it when it started and people generally prioritized "respecting" fake characters over treating real people with decency.

Honestly, I left the BNHA fandom due to toxic people. I actually got a life threat because I said that I didn't like the ship of Bakugo and Midoriya, Bakudeku, and even though I said it respectfully and made sure not to insult the ship or people who ship it, I got threatened by people, which was pretty scary and stupid. Ever since that day, I just haven't hopped back in. I still watch the anime, but the fan base is a bit too toxic and crazy for me. This, of course, does not refer to everyone in the fandom, as not everyone in the fandom is not toxic or crazy, so please do not take this as an insult if you are in the fandom and fanbase seeing as this most likely doesn't refer to you as a toxic or crazy person.

I really loathe fandom culture in-general and I try to distance myself from it whenever possible which has honestly led to me being pretty resistant to talking with other nerds irl. I'm just used to people being defensive weirdos about fiction: I used to be that person, and I've interacted with plenty of people like that. And it's annoying when the only thing people open up about is the manga they read or the shows they watch. I think Steven Universe was the nail in the coffin for me because I was really into it when it started and people generally prioritized "respecting" fake characters over treating real people with decency.

Yea, I'm not a fan of fandom culture myself. There's things I like, but I wouldn't really identify myself as a member of fandoms.

Undertale fandom.

Ok! So I’m a undertale fan ok? I know the title of undertale fans has been RUINED BY THE FANDOM! WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SHIPS UHG (fnf song plays but angry) like, for example this one word is known by MANY:F R A N S yep the popular ship of sins and! Fontcest, and other horrible ships!!! I mean don’t get me wrong I’m glad people are doing what they like doing even if...*big le sigh* even if it’s making ships... honestly I can’t push my self to keep talking about this, all I’m going to say is, undertale fans get a bad reputation because of the fandom! So please if you ship undertale at all, try to stop being so toxic, thanks

Bit of an unpopular opinion here, judging by the amount of Undertale fans in this thread alone, but... XD I never thought the fandom was too terribly bad. In fact, I think Undertale is one of the more awesome fandoms out there for doing some uber creative stuff. I've never seen a more self-expressive fandom than in the instance of the plethora of Undertale AUs.

It has a bad side, yeah, but I honestly don't find it surprising anymore. The more popular something is, the more the bad apples will stick out, and that's the case literally everywhere. I'd rather roll my eyes at it and move on to content I'm actually interested in than dwell.

There are fangirls... but hey, if desiring a romantic relationship with a skeleton that makes bad puns is what you get hyped over, then go for it mate. I'll just be over here doing my own thing, lol.

So I guess my response to the OP's question is... nothin'. Snobs and weirdos are everywhere, and that isn't exclusive to fandoms. Maybe if I were super social with other people in the community, my mind would be swayed, but as a spectator, I'm at peace with the fact that some people are crappy or immature. There's a good side to every fandom so I figure I'll just look for that instead of the bad.

Stay determined!

There are too many fandoms that were ruined for me purely by the hand of those part of the community. Admittedly, because of these people I haven't even bothered to touch certain shows at all, such as Steven Universe and My Hero Academia. Sure, all fandoms have their rotten apples, but in fandoms like those, it looks like the basket only consists out of rotten apples. It's a real shame and it really puts me off from being part of a community.

K-pop as well. We all know how freaking rabid these fans can be. Some girl called me a Koreaboo for not following her after she asked for it in a comment on a post of me showing off some albums I owned back then. Then there's also the types that camp outside a concert venue when it was strictly forbidden to camp there before a concert, and leaving a H U G E mess behind; food, bottles, even whole sleeping bags, all to be cleaned up by some poor street cleaners who I madly respect at this rate. And let's not forget the types who lose their marbles when their bias turns out to be dating someone. Sheesh.

Honestly, people buying things up en masse just so they could resell them on eBay has ruined a lot of fandoms for me. You can literally google up how to build a purchasing bot or just buy one yourself fairly cheaply to scoop up a bunch of a product so nobody else can get it.

This is really egregious with LEGOs, and the legodeal reddit community actually has people showing off their receipts of buying up all in-store product for the purposes of reselling them whenever there's a deal going on and people congratulate that nonsense.

I've personally never been bothered by communities. Other people's engagements of things don't matter to me, but people who just buy up everything can piss off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back