Other What ruined a fandom for you?

Any political ideologies (in a propaganda format) forcefully inserted into a fandom completely ruins
anything for me, they certainly don't belong there so why put them there? Most of the time people
try to escape those kinds of real world discussions and submerge themselves into a fictional place
they can have conversations about without it devolving into that kind of subject, It's a bit depressing
to see really.

The furry fandom was ruined for me-
In middle school I was pretty cringy but I was an open furry- I had ears and a tail and I wore it to school wanting to be able to express myself, though since the fanbase is so misunderstood I was called certain names and made fun of for it- And people even started to think of me as weird and gross so I eventually gave up on it entirely since I wasn't being accepted- Of course I still kept my ocs- I use them for roleplay, but I don't really interact with the furry fandom all that much anymore- I mean I like Furries and I have a few furry friends I just don't really say/do anything that would make me seen as a furry-

Any other fandom I was in, such as Cuphead, BATIM, FNaF, ect- I kinda gave up because I've been obsessing over Undertale-

There are fandoms I never liked such as Fortnite- So annoying- Little kids like it too much and I don't see the appeal-

Last edited:
Pretty self-explanatory title. For me, I have two ruined fandoms, one I recently joined again. Undertale and Harry Potter. For Undertale, it was all the incest and selfcest, which I was reminded of when I tried to look up swap sans and was met with 'swap sans x fell sans'. 🤮 And for Harry Potter, it was all the GODDAMN POTTER PUPPET PALS JOKES BECAUSE OF MY PFP!!!!!
i had problems with a harry potter fandom/rp but that was because in that server they limited you so much and if they simply just didn't like one thing about your character they would immediately deny it. also my family is fake harry potter fans thinking Gryffindor's the only valid house to be in

Wh-

the other houses have good values too-
That's kinda-
Messed up?
I dunno how to say it-
i know they are really stupid when it comes to shows and movies their is no other way to say it

Ruined is a strong word and I honestly try to not let people do that. Yet I can only think of a few fandoms that were 'ruined' for me and that would be Homestuck and Danganronpa. Between seeing adults being creeps towards minors (I'm looking at you Msparp for giving me trauma as a teen lol) and just the pure disrespect in the Danganronpa cosplay community, it was enough for me to leave both even though I really do like the source materials.

I can't say the fandom has been ruined but I have a love-hate relationship with a lot of the Nintendo fandom. When I was younger I had less of a problem with the company because I was the target demographic, but the more I grew up and the more I started to look at Nintendo with a critical eye, I started to realize a lot of the problems they had as a company when it came to their consumer base - specifically, how they treated fan games, emulators, and YouTube channels dedicated to sharing their soundtracks. Why take these down when they fulfill a demand that they clearly care little to fulfill themselves? (i.e. proper distribution for their music soundtracks, proper distribution of their older games, response to fan demand).

And the reason why the Nintendo fanbase comes into this is because I saw that so many of them were enamored with Nintendo, convinced that Nintendo was the only good video game company left and that they could do no wrong, and were blind to what they were doing to their fans. Sometimes even grown adults! Grown adults who willingly ignored what they did so they could keep secluding themselves further into the fantasies that Nintendo were producing, not willing to observe their actions with a critical eye.

I can't say I've completely disowned Nintendo and its fanbase from my life because I still fire up some of the games from time to time, but there are times where I wish these fans would actually do something instead of just rolling over and showing their belly when some new Kirby game gets announced or some new Smash character comes out.

i was in the dbh (detroit: become human) fandom for a couple of years and the fixation on the racist cop being shipped with a character that appeared in a single ending, for like.. 20 seconds killed it for me. that ship is fucking everywhere. you can't escape it. you can't escape the characters either, they're thrown into just about every fan work that exists, even have two fan movies about them.

i just don't understand it? for a fandom based on a game with so MANY interesting characters, why the fixation on the shitbag cop and connor recolor? why not just make ocs? they might as well BE ocs at this point. 💀 i don't think ive been in a fandom quite as.. bad as that. don't get me started on the north bashing either-

I can't really go around anywhere in the Supernatural fandom because I have the gall to not enjoy Castiel

Two things ruin a fandom for me:

1) Unnecessary changes to the source material which divides the fanbase

2) Toxicity

Both of them play a major role in most fandoms today. And sadly, they're easily pervasive. It sounds political, but it's a general fact of life that a lot of people would rather do the easy thing of jumping on a hype train or side with the vocal majority rather than do their own research or make up their own opinions. And even with something as simple as a fandom this is a big issue. I can't tell you how many times I've seen arguments break out over statements made that carry no facts or even evidence based in reality, with the side falling for the nonsense refusing to give in to logic, fact, and common sense.

And when a fan base is destroyed by one or both of the above (usually both) it just saddens me to no end that I always feel like I'm forced to remove myself from the fandom entirely in order to avoid the toxicity spreading into my life.

I’m gonna say this once and then I’ll never say it on this site again:

What ruined so many fandoms for me were the Y/N self-insert fanfics. Try to find an actual Batcat fic nowadays, it’s 90% self-insert one shots. Try to find a Maze Runner story, it’s all self-insert fanfics or even worse it’s of ships that I hate. No one writes gen fanfic anymore. No one seems to write actual fanfic anymore. And I hate that.

It’s ruined at least three fandoms for me, the rest of my ruined fandoms are due to toxicity from anti-shippers and people who didn’t like the movies- and they feel the need to tell everyone that the movies are bad no matter what.

What ruined so many fandoms for me were the Y/N self-insert fanfics. Try to find an actual Batcat fic nowadays, it’s 90% self-insert one shots. Try to find a Maze Runner story, it’s all self-insert fanfics or even worse it’s of ships that I hate. No one writes gen fanfic anymore. No one seems to write actual fanfic anymore. And I hate that.

It’s ruined at least three fandoms for me, the rest of my ruined fandoms are due to toxicity from anti-shippers and people who didn’t like the movies- and they feel the need to tell everyone that the movies are bad no matter what.
Oh, and by this, I mean the ones that are strictly Y/N self-inserts. If you fleshed out a whole OC for a fandom and decided to write something with them, that’s great. I’m just so sick of the Y/N fanfiction that seems to be everywhere.

I'll say that I rarely even touch fan fic, mostly because I know that the vast majority of it is just fantasy wish fulfillment type stuff (and/or badly written). There's more to write in fan fic besides just ships, people!

I'll say that I rarely even touch fan fic, mostly because I know that the vast majority of it is just fantasy wish fulfillment type stuff (and/or badly written). There's more to write in fan fic besides just ships, people!
EXACTLY
Some of the best writing I’ve read/written has been about family or friends, about fixing mistakes of the author by rewriting it to where I think it’s a better ending.

The complete and utter lack of gen writing for so many good fandoms is killing me

EXACTLY
Some of the best writing I’ve read/written has been about family or friends, about fixing mistakes of the author by rewriting it to where I think it’s a better ending.

The complete and utter lack of gen writing for so many good fandoms is killing me
I think platonic anything is vastly under-rated and overlooked in both the RP and fan fic communities. Some of my favourite RP's have been strictly platonic.

Shipping wars. It's always the same.

The extremist shippers try to push a ship in my face and tell me that it's canon (when it's not), and when I disagree, WWIII breaks out.

I can honestly say it was always when a person wanted the characters to get it on. In a fandom or any story for that matter it just cheapens a story. And besides, since a fandom is with canon characters, what makes one think said character would agree to that or behave that way? it always struck me as wrong. Am I the only one that feels this way? 🤔

I can honestly say it was always when a person wanted the characters to get it on. In a fandom or any story for that matter it just cheapens a story. And besides, since a fandom is with canon characters, what makes one think said character would agree to that or behave that way? it always struck me as wrong. Am I the only one that feels this way? 🤔
You’re totally right, nearly ruined the Six of Crows fandom for me

Way back when I was a bit younger, there was this anime I liked called Osomatsu-san. It was my first and certainly my last anime. It ruined anime in general for me, so I will never watch an anime anymore. Although I liked this fandom for a short time a while ago, what ruined it for me was the incest shippers.... It weirded me out ngl.....

Sailor Moon: Ohh boy. Other fans. I couldn't take all the Sailor Sparkling Diamonds or the Sailor Leopard Print Bike Shorts or whatever people came up with. I love good OCs, but a lot of them just didn't make any sense.

Disney's trying to ruin Marvel for me, does that count? The purchase ruined "Spectacular Spider-Man," and I hate that they've got their grubby hands on the Netflix stuff. I totally get that comic book companies struggled, and it saved them, but I also really despise Disney as a company.

Someone who rped hunny from ouran the rper was overall a toxic bitch that I regret giving her my time and sanity.

I wouldn't call it strictly 'ruined' but sometimes anime has some... nasty people in it especially on like a specific couple they're 'rooting' for. One good example I can think is from Masamune-kun's Revenge

When the anime introduced the chubby kid 'Masamune' just to marry into Aki's family for his family's own benefit. Like, I get it, it's not a very respectable thing to do, but is that any reason to wish this character to die a horrible death?

Idk man, makes me not wanna watch it anymore lol

I'm gonna be totally original here and say "politics".
I don't care if you're far left, alt right, enlightened centrist or a sane individual, I don't want to read about your politics in my fandom.
It's usually not the subject itself, but the vocal minority that's the problem. D&D's been like this a lot for me recently.
Between the people comparing orcs to black people, the people complaining about said comparison, the people pretending they care about the comparison, and the overall nastiness that prevailed in a lot of groups I was a lurker in, I stopped caring about what people had to say "about" D&D and only really focused about my games themselves.

It's just so... annoying. Media can be analyzed critically, but 99% of the time that's not what happens in my experience. Just one flavor of the political spectrum yelling at another flavor while not taking anything the other said to heart.
Just a lot of yelling. I just want to roll some die and hear about characters and lore.
Forgive my rant please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back