Other What ruined a fandom for you?

I'm gonna be totally original here and say "politics".
I don't care if you're far left, alt right, enlightened centrist or a sane individual, I don't want to read about your politics in my fandom.
It's usually not the subject itself, but the vocal minority that's the problem. D&D's been like this a lot for me recently.
Between the people comparing orcs to black people, the people complaining about said comparison, the people pretending they care about the comparison, and the overall nastiness that prevailed in a lot of groups I was a lurker in, I stopped caring about what people had to say "about" D&D and only really focused about my games themselves.

It's just so... annoying. Media can be analyzed critically, but 99% of the time that's not what happens in my experience. Just one flavor of the political spectrum yelling at another flavor while not taking anything the other said to heart.
Just a lot of yelling. I just want to roll some die and hear about characters and lore.
Forgive my rant please.
Speaking as a rather politically minded person, I'll say this: some stuff is just meant to be enjoyed and should be. Not everything has to be political; sometimes an escape from all of that is nice.

Speaking as a rather politically minded person, I'll say this: some stuff is just meant to be enjoyed and should be. Not everything has to be political; sometimes an escape from all of that is nice.
Couldn't agree more. Without saying too much about myself, part of my daily life revolves around real world politics. So when I'm off, I want to be off for real, not have to deal with MORE politics. I just want an escape.

While I'm not too big of a fandom person, I used to be in the Harry Potter fandom because who doesn't love the books? But then all of the controversy with JK Rowling started, and it started to become problematic to be in the fandom because that's all people would ever talk about, was the controversy going on with JK Rowling.

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You are never gonna keep me down
I get knocked down, but I get up again
You are never gonna keep me down

I was, as ashamed as I am to admit it, a MASSIVE DreamSMP fan for quite some time (we're talking over a year) and if you don't know what that is, it's basically a group of streamers who made a Minecraft roleplay series. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Dream, the one who made and still runs the server, is such a toxic person. I don't want to get into the details. Look him up, you'll see exactly what I mean. Someone needs to flatten his ego.

People fussing over font color. Also, self-inserting themselves and their agenda with the canon characters too much. I'm sure someone knows this fandom.

The Author's blatant homophobia on Twitter and bashing fans for fanfic *coughs* Hintonverse *coughs*

Discovery series Klingons.
Just.... what the actual fuck were they thinking? The Klingons they had running from TNG all the way up to that point were great! And then they change them to look like literal shit and have the vernacular of cavemen. Sucks, because the Discovery series actually expanded on the Klingon culture and took a huge focus on them. Which would have been great if they hadn't ruined them in the process.

Fairy Tail. In case of certain characters (who were supposed to be not treated like that.. it's totally "not fair") there was frustratingly nonexistent character development and stuff.. Waste of Potential... etc etc etc.. Lol...
That's all for now.

Star Wars. Because Disney came.
^ bruh. So THIS! And its not even because the new Trilogy. Like the prequels were kinda dumb too. But I hate how they have brought down the retcon hammer on all the Expanded Universe stuff that essentially existed in limbo before. EU lore is the bees-knees, and Disney basically gave it all the finger.

In Disney's defense though, Rogue One was pretty badass. And at LEAST they canonized Boba Fett living passed the Sarlaacc pit.

I miss a lot of the "legends" and tbh they could have had Mara Jade as an early lead, nvm all the cool things such as the civilwar, Dark Empire, Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, etc.

I miss a lot of the "legends" and tbh they could have had Mara Jade as an early lead, nvm all the cool things such as the civilwar, Dark Empire, Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, etc.
I have a magazine with some Dash Rendar coverage somewhere, and a few of the 1990's Boba Fett comics out of Darkhorse. All OG Expanded Universe stuff. None of it relevant anymore. (But probably hella collectible by now)

supernatural. the fandom is shit, but also, as i get older, i realise more and more problems with it: why do they fetishise asian people so much, and also have no asian characters like… at all? the kitsune episode was fucking awful, not only do they have nothing in common with kitsune lore, but also WHY WERE THEY WHITE? also bringing in creatures from different cultures and having absolutely no fucking clue what they’re talking about. i get that supernatural is like… supposed to be slightly different from the actual lore of most creatures, but it’s still ass.

also why are all the black characters either evil or dead? rufus was their best character and they killed him to give some white man his emotional turmoil. “oh, but seven, people die all the time in supernatural” doesn’t excuse how badly black people are portrayed. also, dean’s first love interest, cassie? the one who they hyped up so much as his one and only love, but when they decided to give him a reoccurring love interest, no way they could let it be a black girl! so of course they bring up some random ass white woman who we as an audience have never met, and he for some reason is totally pining over her when there was a perfectly good cassie!

why do they whitewash… everything? also the way that christianity, while being made fun of at some points, is also The most powerful mythology out there. idc, some whiny ass archangel with daddy issues isn’t taking out kali, goddess of death, goddess of doomsday, please.

how is something gay and homophobic at the same time? not even the cas and dean thing, i never shipped them and the ending was cringy more than anything, i mean that Every gay couple is played for laughs, maybe with the exception of charlie, but that’s probably because lesbians are considered “more acceptable” in media, mainly because they’re so fetishised. everytime a gay couple is on screen, dean is like 😟??? WHAT?

supernatural. the fandom is shit, but also, as i get older, i realise more and more problems with it: why do they fetishise asian people so much, and also have no asian characters like… at all? the kitsune episode was fucking awful, not only do they have nothing in common with kitsune lore, but also WHY WERE THEY WHITE? also bringing in creatures from different cultures and having absolutely no fucking clue what they’re talking about. i get that supernatural is like… supposed to be slightly different from the actual lore of most creatures, but it’s still ass.
having never seen so much as a commercial for Supernatural, I have no idea about any of what you're talking about. BUT, I gotta say this about the whole Asian thing: Hollywood has been fetishizing the Asian angle for decades. It's nothing new. Take a show or movie, ANY show or movie that has a token Asian character. I guarantee that character has one of more of the following traits:
  • They are some kind of computer whiz/hacker
  • If Japanese: They are (or know someone) Yakuza
  • If Chinese: They are (or know someone) Triad
  • They know martial arts
  • Somehow work the school-girl w/ twin-tailed hair thing into the mix
  • They have a relative that owns an Asian restaurant
  • They are the designated "smart" character
  • They uncharacteristically know some deep, hidden mythical knowledge that is Asian-flavored despite their character not being into history or culture
  • They are into anime/mecha stuff by default

having never seen so much as a commercial for Supernatural, I have no idea about any of what you're talking about. BUT, I gotta say this about the whole Asian thing: Hollywood has been fetishizing the Asian angle for decades. It's nothing new. Take a show or movie, ANY show or movie that has a token Asian character. I guarantee that character has one of more of the following traits:
  • They are some kind of computer whiz/hacker
  • If Japanese: They are (or know someone) Yakuza
  • If Chinese: They are (or know someone) Triad
  • They know martial arts
  • Somehow work the school-girl w/ twin-tailed hair thing into the mix
  • They have a relative that owns an Asian restaurant
  • They are the designated "smart" character
  • They uncharacteristically know some deep, hidden mythical knowledge that is Asian-flavored despite their character not being into history or culture
  • They are into anime/mecha stuff by default
um… yeah, i’m obviously pretty aware of this, i am literally actively complaining about it, especially being asian myself 💀 the “why” is rhetorical, if that wasn’t obvious. for some reason this is giving very much “mansplaining” 😭😭

um… yeah, i’m obviously pretty aware of this, i am literally actively complaining about it, especially being asian myself 💀 the “why” is rhetorical, if that wasn’t obvious. for some reason this is giving very much “mansplaining” 😭😭
no, it wasn't obviously rhetorical. I assume that all comments in discussion panels are up for, well... discussion?

Also, I'm not a man. So I can't "mansplain".

Was just sorta backing you up on the whole Asian stereotype pretty much existing EVERYwhere. Because people raise all kinds of hell over the representation of certain minorities, but I rarely ever see people touch on the Asian thing. So it was at least a more fresh complaint. lol

no, it wasn't obviously rhetorical. I assume that all comments in discussion panels are up for, well... discussion?

Also, I'm not a man. So I can't "mansplain".
overconfidently explaining something in a topic you seem to know little about? seems like mansplaining to me, regardless of your actual gender. mansplaining while not even being a man? what a twist! like i said, i’m obviously pretty aware to begin with, and most of the examples you brought up aren’t all that bad, especially compared to those examples of asian fetishisation and asian erasure, wherein asian people are literally not even treated like conscience beings— so, yeah, i don’t exactly thing “computer whiz asian gal” is quite as weird. you’re welcome to discuss all you want, but it was a pretty goofy addition to me. i get what you’re trying to say, but the way you said it didn’t sit well with me.

overconfidently explaining something in a topic you seem to know little about? seems like mansplaining to me, regardless of your actual gender. mansplaining while not even being a man? what a twist! like i said, i’m obviously pretty aware to begin with, and most of the examples you brought up aren’t all that bad, especially compared to those examples of asian fetishisation and asian erasure, wherein asian people are literally not even treated like conscience beings— so, yeah, i don’t exactly thing “computer whiz asian gal” is quite as weird. you’re welcome to discuss all you want, but it was a pretty goofy addition to me. i get what you’re trying to say, but the way you said it didn’t sit well with me.
The whole "mansplaining" concept was created from the incident of when a man tried to explain things to a woman because he feels he knows better just because he's a man, and to them women are obviously inferior and need everything explained to them. Hence, MANsplaining. It's very much rooted in what gender you are.

Sorry if it didnt sit well with you. I didnt think anything was worded offensively. And like I said, I was only bolstering your sentiment. tbh, ive never had anyone get miffed by my agreeing with them. O.o

Okay. I hate to admit this, but.. FNaF, Gacha, and Undertale.

So, let's start with FNaF: The amount of times I've seen Sundrop and Moondrop get sexualized on the internet, esp. TikTok and Twitter, are excruciatingly high. Oh, let's not talk about the amount of Sundrop x Moondrop R34 I've seen on Twitter. Also, I had no idea that people shipped Scraptrap and Glitchtrap. Another thing. You guys may not know about it, but someone posted an audio on TikTok where Sundrop was getting.. well, you know already. It went viral, and it got so much hate that TikTok had to take it down. Also, Gacha. THOSE kids who think it's okay to ship a literal CHILD with one of the animatronics in his NIGHTMARES, along with a post on Reddit where some little kid thought it was okay to make an incest poly relationship with the AFTON KIDS. I have more, but I'll stop here.

Gacha: The amount of heat videos are crazy. And there's something called.. "Gacha farting." WTF?? What is WRONG with children?? Like, give Mommy back her phone.

Undertale: Sans Fangirls. "oH, sAnSy iS mInE!!!!11! dOnT tOucH hIm oR iLL kiLL yOU!!1!!" Like, honey, no, Sans the Peanut doesn't even want you. Esp. the ones who TRACE other people's art. Like go touch grass or something. AND the horrible drawings of Sans, along with the Mobizen recording of you having "s*x" with your Sansy boobear knowing that that dream will never come true. Go outside and play. Jesus.

TL,DR? Got your back, bud: FNaF, Gacha, and Undertale are all weird, toxic fandoms that live on incest, p*rn, heat, and fangirls. Sorry, just had to let it out.

I used to love Monster High, but the moment Welcome to Monster High came out I just can't with it anymore. Everything changed, the backstory the designs, and the new Monster Highs are any better. Now Clawdeen is a nerd and not even a fashionista anymore from what I've seen. If they're all supposed to connect, well they're failing because originally when the monster high school was being built and opened up, none of them were even born yet, just their parents. Now suddenly in Welcome to Monster High, everyone suddenly exists???? Robecca Steams dad was suppose to be teacher from the past in Monster High and now he's not even a teacher that I recall. Then in the new movies, Clawdeen suddenly doesn't know that she's a werewolf???? Just- just no-- I can't stand these newer generations. Nothing makes sense anymore and the new designs just sucks. My least favorite being Duece. Just-- TOO much green. No color balance.

Not so much the Dragon Ball series more of the fans trying to say that a character outside of the fandom can beat a saiyan. Not even close.

bnha and eddsworld

i adore the actual canon material of both,, but
the shipping within them ruined me

in both fandoms there was so much discourse between what you shipped, if you disagreed you could get straight up cussed out
plus im a multishipper so like it made it worse

i miss both honestly,,, but i cant imagine interacting with those fandoms unless you're reaaaalllly chill

i grew a hatred for ships like bakudeku, which became super fetishy, and wouldnt make sense within the plot until semi-recent arcs
and tomtord is just,,,,, gross to me now. dearstarboy completely ruined me.. iykyk

and both of the fandoms make me feel old cause most people that like them now are CHILDREN /hj

i remember a time when hawks didnt even have a canon colorpallette
i remember when the bitch was still a BIRD
i remember when THE END of eddsworld came out, and how the whole fandom shit its pants

The walking dead with Daryl fans saying they riot if he dies. He hasn’t done anything and they’re not true fans. Killing off characters only for shock value.

Carl’s death was really dumb and AMC did Chandler Riggs dirty as he was buying a house near the filming area. He had three years left on his contract they lied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back