Idea What kind of Roleplays are you wanting to see?

Ridge

I disdain all glittering gold
Over the years of roleplaying, you see many come and go, but very few (in my opinion) really stick and are continued for a long while. I've never really understood why, unless the roleplayers themselves gave an actual reason as to why they can't carry on.

I've been wanting to start a new Roleplay that may be continued for a long time, who knows! But hopefully longer than a few weeks.
With this, I want to know what you people are looking for?
Have a specific sort of plot, maybe a specific genre of something. I want to know!

In my experience if you want a roleplay to last your better off looking for players than trying to make a roleplay that suits other people.

What you need is to find a group of people that get along together and are capable of encouraging each other when things get tough. It doesn't hurt to find people who know when they will be available to roleplay so that you can schedule posting times around that.

I think activity is the thing that you should focus on to determine if you're roleplay is successful not necessarily a particular plot or anything.

Because honestly if you find people that are interested in roleplaying with you specifically you'll be able to convince them to do a plot rather than making the plot and hoping you find people that are interested and invested in continuing.

Modern slice of life RP's are the first group RP's I did here on RPN. I met friends through it, and have loved them ever since. The plots vary, but whether it's a camping trip, summer vacation, or something of the sort-- I'm 99% likely to be down.

In my 1x1's, I have a love for the supernatural. Vampires, demons, witches, etc. I love them all. It'd be super cool to do a plot revolving around something like that!

I personally enjoy playing survival/apocalyptic roleplays, but my heart has a special place for roleplays based around teenagers and their issues and struggles, as I relate the most and can more accurately work with my characters and actions. However, I do like to try new things and always enjoy roleplaying new ideas and unique plots.

Personally I want to see a Gintama RP in the fandom section, however I am in luck because I am making an interest check for one, it's honestly a fandom one can get into with minimal knowledge that can easily be explained. But it would be nice to see someone else creating one.

I would like to start by adressing what I think is the underlying issue here, that is, the overall main reasons (there are of course many more, but those would be more specific to certain groups of roleplayers or even individual roleplayers only as opposed to the general populace) why roleplay lifespan is so flimsy. I do want to state though, that I will be adressing mostly group roleplays which are not based on one-liners, as those often can simply afford to switch players without a second thought since the characters aren't that important individually, they're mostly just there.

1. Getting the wrong players: Bad Timing and Bad teamwork
This is perhaps the most obvious reason. In truth, 99% of RPs live or die in terms of one thing, getting your melting pot of players right. This in turn, has two requirements, that your players are able to sustain roleplay with their current IRL lives, and they need to not just get along but bounce off each other and work in cooperation to have fun in the roleplay and relight everyone's excitement. On top of it all, you only get a very small selection of players to pick, those who will see and are actually interested in the premise of the roleplay. So all in all, a group that is even able to keep itself together and functional is mostly atributed to dumb luck. The GM's work sure has it's merits, but one should not illude themselves that even if you are the perfect GM, your odds of getting a group roleplay lasting are still pretty low, even if we only account with the first of the major problems.

2. Slow=Boring=Quitting
Some people reading this may have nodded and agreed with the statement that titles this problem. And to you I want to say, first, thank you for reading. Second, you ladies and gentlemen and others, are the problem I'm talking about.
Don't get me wrong though. I am not saying what you're thinking is necessarily wrong or that it makes you, personally, a problem. Rather, the problem is that that mentallity is not suited for a writing medium. If a book is too slow, it's boring. If a movie it's too slow it's boring. Because the pace of reading and watching, two passive activities, is diretcly related to the pace of the action and what you should be expecting out of it. On the other hand, a productive activity, like writing, REQUIRES slow moments. There is stuff to build up, and sometimes a transition scence will happen, or characterization, etc... It's kind of inevitable. I'm not saying those can't be boring though, but rather that people expect them not to be. Then when reality comes crashing down, they think the roleplay is bad because of it, and boom they quit. Needless to say, this is deadly for long term RPs.

3. Cravings for Muses
Roleplayers are still bound by their whims too much, and the two main expressions of that are "lost muses" and "cravings". These aren't inherently wrong. Like the above these are genuine matters, one can loose motivation, and one wants to roleplay something they crave. Heck, even I do it and I'm complaining about it. The issue though, is that people seem to always lack a plan B. They are too reliant on the immediate, shotgun feeling, and so they become unable to write unless they feel inspired or when the craving for the thing you only had because you had just stopped watching it innevitably disappears after a week.
Did you know Muses were literal goddesses in ancient greece? Yeah. You had to bloody pray for a bit of inspirations and then hopefully maybe they would possess you as a favor. The point being, motivation is not easy to come buy. Once again, the matter is that people are expecting something to simply come which does not, logically or naturally, simply come.

The thing is, all of these problems are a matter of mentality. There is only one way to solve them, and that is to change how we think. Which if war, poverty, greed and every other bloody self-destructive thing mankind does to itself shows, it's not something humanity does with ease.

So all in all, appeal is not gonna do much for you. In fact, it's possible you'll harm yourself by trying to appeal to too many people, making your RP a clunky mess not even you yourself want to roleplay in. It's usually best to be out with an idea you love and doing your best to make sure it works with whoever happens to share your passion.

Now that's out of the way, let's get into the kinds of things I would like to see if given a chance. Truth be told, there is a lot more I would like to see, but most of it is likely something I will just try making myself someday.

Structure Wishes:
*A roleplay that is actually planned out.
*RPs that don't prejudice against 1st person roleplayers such as myself
*anime faceclaims
*extensively detailed

Character Wishes:
*RPs that allow child characters. And I mean actual children, not just minors.
*characters related to another player's
*roleplaying a weapon or animal character without others doing the same
*playing a father to another character
*genderbends

Plot Wishes:
*Harem RP that goes somewhere
*A proper slice of life comedy
*A magical girl roleplay that actually kind of is interested in exploring normal magical girl shenanigans
*A roleplay based around a theater club
*A roleplay based on a group of outcast detectives with superpowers
*Parody Rps
*Bodyswitching

Setting Wishes:
*decently systematized magic systems
*expansive lore that doesn't somehow end up being extremely limiting

Fandom Wishes:
*More than I can count. Re:creators and date a live come to mind, for instance.

Other Wishes:
*Turning an RP into a webcomic or manga in cooperation with someone who can actually draw

I think I've got off topic already, but meh :P
Welp, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Have a nice day :)

2. Slow=Boring=Quitting
Some people reading this may have nodded and agreed with the statement that titles this problem. And to you I want to say, first, thank you for reading. Second, you ladies and gentlemen and others, are the problem I'm talking about.
Don't get me wrong though. I am not saying what you're thinking is necessarily wrong or that it makes you, personally, a problem. Rather, the problem is that that mentallity is not suited for a writing medium. If a book is too slow, it's boring. If a movie it's too slow it's boring. Because the pace of reading and watching, two passive activities, is diretcly related to the pace of the action and what you should be expecting out of it. On the other hand, a productive activity, like writing, REQUIRES slow moments. There is stuff to build up, and sometimes a transition scence will happen, or characterization, etc... It's kind of inevitable. I'm not saying those can't be boring though, but rather that people expect them not to be. Then when reality comes crashing down, they think the roleplay is bad because of it, and boom they quit. Needless to say, this is deadly for long term RPs.

Recently I've been lurking through other RP sites and I've run across quite a few long-lived, detailed, group roleplays. It was like discovering Atlantis. They do exist.

And low and behold, they tend to have a slower post rate. About one 6 - 9 paragraph entry per week. And most of them have been going for 2+ years and have finished a major story arc or two. Needless to say, I plan to finagle my way into one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back