Opinion What is your biggest fear?

My biggest fear, in all honesty, is nothing.
In the true sense of the world.
Nothingness terrorizes me.
The fact that my brain cannot comprehend such a simple concept because it is not able to...NOT think is agonizingly scary.

I completely and absolutely understand what you mean.

The idea that it's very possible for us to have our essence and existence annihilated is a very very disturbing thought.

deep water- i can't swim so it really freaks me out that you would just be sinking forever with no way of escaping
i also hate being ignored and having others not like me.

Eternity, I fear that I will become an eternal spirit forever bound to this world never knowing the peace of non-existence. Also the off chance of me getting sent off to korea once I join the army

Bad health. Or losing my eyesight.
So I'm afraid of growing old because I'm afraid of the above.

Mine's probably the classic one that plenty of people hate/dislike - insects. Especially the larger ones like big spiders and even stuff such as beetles the size of thumbtacks and such. I could try to rationalize it as much as I like but whenever I come close to them, I can't help getting all shivery and such. I'll still do what I have to do to get rid of those but I'll be quite shaken by the end of it. Hands trembling and all.

Just pointing out: Spiders aren't bugs.

I have two major fears.
1) rape
Rape has terrorized me ever since I learned what it was. The idea of someone forcing themself upon me and doing the kind of thing that I haven't worked up the courage to do with any of my girlfriends is simply horrifying. And the fact that if I was raped I would get questions like: "What were you wearing?" "How many drinks did you have?" "Were you asking for it?" is hard to believe. Even more horrible is that if my rapist is arrested they would not be given the death penalty. They would be able to live on as my life slowly got worse and worse as time went on because I'm sure I would not be able to recover. Rape has pushed people to crime to madness to murder.
2) isolation
I crave human touch. And not in a sexual way, of course. I mean just touching a shoulder or holding a hand in a purely friendly way. I love to talk to others and be with them and after a day of not speaking to anyone I get panicky and nervous. The thought of being alone causes panic attacks when I'm home alone without anyone to reassure me that they are there and I won't be alone. I can't imagine being alone forever. Not single just alone.

I'm terrified of fire. Even just matches. It took me ages to be comfortable cooking on a gas stove. I don't know what it is, but I even have trouble with fireworks, much less bonfires.

Eternity, I fear that I will become an eternal spirit forever bound to this world never knowing the peace of non-existence. Also the off chance of me getting sent off to korea once I join the army
Korea's one of the safest places right now to be sent.
Other options are Europe (Russia's being stupid), Middle East ('nuff said), South America (420), or Africa (combination of Middle East and South America). Asia in general is the safest right now.

Just pointing out: Spiders aren't bugs.

Hm, fair enough, I think creepy crawlies might be more appropriate. I care little about the technical scientific classifications - they're all the same to me in how much fear they instil (more as they get bigger).

I have a few...

My biggest fear, in all honesty, is nothing.
In the true sense of the world.
Nothingness terrorizes me.
The fact that my brain cannot comprehend such a simple concept because it is not able to...NOT think is agonizingly scary.

Afraid that one day there will be nothing. Rather irrational, but I fear it. It's the idea that one day there will be everything, but on the next day, nothing. Everything gone in an instant. Maybe it's literally the fear of death/end, not sure.

I'm also rather afraid of re-gaining my weight and depression as, to me personally that is failure (failure on my behalf because then I stopped trying, could care less what everyone else thinks about my body and my perspective). In addition, afraid of becoming a failure and never reaching my current goal.

What happens after death, that's my thing. I'm not trying to open a debate here or anything. Just the idea of it can be overwhelming.

To quote Eowyn from The Lord of the Rings.... "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recourse or desire."

Guess I just don't like being trapped all that much.

That someone could prove Christianity undeniably wrong.
If someone did it, man... I don't know what I would do, but it wouldn't be productive by any stretch.
Or sane.

Also eye injuries of any kind, groin injuries, death (yes, followed by death), bugs, failure, falling, heights because of the possibility of falling, and responsibility.

Ugh. I don't even have male equipment and can confirm that a severe enough groin injury will give absolutely anyone a limp. If it's not severe... the assailant will simply have to deal with a pissed off hobbit.

The others are things that people have tried on me and I handled okay. Though I can't say I'm exactly as religious as I used to be... I've come to the point where I am accepting of all belief systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back