Music What is the weirdest music that you enjoy?

StrixDesmodus

Totally human, I swear!
It can be weird for bizarre lyrical content, unconventional melodies, or for being something that you don't think most of your peers listen to.
Gimme those underrated genres and ballads of obscurity!

I can't be the only one who actually listens to sea shanties.... Can I?

Also, I'm gonna leave this here.

hmmm. these are two very different things but eh
death grips is one of my favorite bands, i know some ppl find their music really odd or off-putting, but i love it soso much.

i also very much love this album called the roots of chicha, which is a bunch of psychedelic cumbias from peru. as a peruvian, its rlly interesting to listen to some of the older hidden gems from my country. such good tracks to dance to !!

Orchestral indie rock songs by The Family Crest. It's basically orchestra (so many string instruments . . . ) + indie rock . I didn't even know this genre of music exists until I stumbled upon the group. I don't think they're super weird in general, but when I found them I thought their music was the strangest thing. My two favorite songs are "Beneath the Brine" and "Upon Cobblestone Streets".

I love sea shanties!! Of course, my aesthetic is Victorian lady/Disney Princess/kindly cottage witch, so I pretty much listen to music that matches my aesthetic. I like pretty, melodic, songs with interesting lyrics and female vocalists. Lots of folk, Celtic music, classical music, medieval music, choral music, and random singer/songwriter stuff.

But for the weirdest— I think I’m going to have to introduce you to a family friend of mine, Holly Near. She started writing music in the mid 70s. At that point, she IDed as a lesbian (she’s closer to pansexual, now) and her music style is what I lovingly like to call “queer folk punk.” Otherwise known as, protest songs.

I know Holly because of one of my moms, who was a radio host for 25 years, and a big time lesbian activist a whole lot longer. My mom interviewed Holly ages ago, and the two really hit it off. She actually went to Hawaii with my family and me, this Christmas. It was a really fun time!

I am in love with her music, and the sheer amount of fun she has when she sings. She’s very personable, and seeing her sing live is an incredible experience.

She wrote that one in response to the assassination of Harvey Milk.

So, yeah!! I listen to a lot of weird music, but it all vaguely fits my aesthetic, but then there’s Holly.

Speedcore/Breakcore/Basically really fast tempo songs that have specific parts that SHOULD be grating for the ears, but makes ya feel a raw emotion that not other kinda of music.
It's very hit or miss with people, I can absolutely understand why people wouldn't like it. I'll post some of my favs.
Keep in mind your volume, as they are pretty loud songs/could have a screaming sort of noise in them.
Passenger of Shit - Staple Tapeworms on my Penis
Speedcore iz 4 Kids Album (by The Quick Brown Fox AKA Lapfox Trax)

This is a good thread! I've enjoyed trying out some of the songs on here.

I'm not sure I listen to weird music.... maybe Yat Kha? Is that weird? They're a Mongolian throat singing rock band.

I'll definitely get back to you if I find anything particularly deranged in my music collection. XD

So, This is one of the craziest, most chaotic pieces of music I've ever had the pleasure of discovering. Its setting is in the Netherworld, codeword for Hell.
Children and teachers alike are singing the hymn of their school. They scream about the murderous joy they feel as they walk around in full scary gear, waiting for the end of the year's bloodbath exams. The teachers remind them to be open-minded about evilness.

The one and only!
Maritsu Jaaku Gakuen - translated to "Nether Institute's Evil Academy"

Lyrics below!

1579214000083.png

It... is, unironically, one of my favorite pieces of musical composition of all time. It makes me smile, it makes me head-bob, it makes sing and most of all, it rarely fails to make me happy because of how goofy and over the top it is. I'm not really edgy or anything, it's just... I like anyone who's clearly having fun and exaggeratedly showing that. So, obviously, an entire school of that is perfect.
Also, the fact that they use actual laughter as an integral part of the lyrics. I... yeah, no, I really like this.

Last edited:
Poppy is one of my all-time favourite artists, definitely should listen to her new album "I Disagree" and "Am I a Girl?"

Those are masterpieces

I am almost assured that this is an exclusive taste.

Sickened and tired, as I was, of no one sharing my taste for sounds, I took to the internet in creative spirits. Mostly out of necessity, but that's besides the point.

Since then, I have albums upon albums of sounds of storms remixed into orchestral compositions. Made by myself, though I don't want to upload them anywhere because of legalities.

I genuinely like bad music. There's one album on Spotify titled Believe: Exciting Songs about Shockingly Mysterious Stuff, every song is the perfect kind of terrible, and I'd highly recommend it, lol.

I don't really listen to anything particularly weird per se, but I do listen to a lot of stuff that is admittedly more "niche". I enjoy a lot of Middle Eastern music and not too many people listen to that outside of the target cultures. To many it definitely seems odd that me, a white European, enjoys it so much. Especially considering that I barely speak a word of any Middle Eastern language.

Oh, I also listen to a lot of religious music. Not the contemporary stuff, but the ancient hymns and such. Perhaps I'm biased, though, since I am religious.

Weirdest? I wouldn't say it's too weird, but it's different for sure. I'd say plunderphonics. People I've shown it to find it weird or don't like it. Personally, it helps me draw and write.

Examples:

I'd definitely say I like breakcore music. It's like wacky printer noises thrown into music and it sounds alright to me but all my friends are like AAAAH I DON'T LIKE IT
a good breakcore artist would be Nero's Day At Disneyland.
I also really like music made with an orchestra of just contrabasses, it sounds super cool (cuz I play the contrabass too)

whatever this is classified as. i love the way the bass thrums.

either that or songs with 'imperfect' vocals, where you can hear the cracks and flat notes. it's refreshing.

I love the first couple of Death Grips albums, especially Exmilitary but also No Love Deep Web and The Money Store. Takyon and The Fever (Aye Aye) are both amazing tracks in their own right.

Plantasia is also a weird heirloom of the beginning of digital music creation, synth and such, which just has a nostalgic tone of a place you've never been and cartoons you've never watched. Apparently some of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's music was also heavily inspired from this, so it has a JRPG vibe.

I'm also a stupid big fan of mostly anything that Hideki Naganuma produces, which is a unique style within the genre of breakbeat? I'm not quite sure, it's very hard to find artists that sound like him. He composed a lot for SEGA back in the day and some of the tracks seem to have surpassed the popularity of the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back