Viewpoint What is one thing you wish to roleplay, without getting judged?

This might not seem too 'out there', but I'd dig a chance to play a character who is interesting in a very plain way - nothing particularly dramatic or supernatural, just a fairly ordinary person. In my experience people often lean more towards thrilling backstories and larger-than-life endgames (within the context of the setting) and they kind of get thrown when this guy turns up and wants to chill with a sandwich and pass his driving test. I reckon you could make that plenty interesting with the right perspective!
My friend made a character like this, and it turned out really well.

I'm super into crossovers and isekai. I always liked the idea of a fandom roleplay where our OCs are whisked away from the real world into a fandom universe.
Also, nekos. I used to love playing a neko, but they're not really considered cool in my circle anymore lol! Tbh admitting that embarrasses me a lil...

There are too many taboo topics that I don't think I'll ever be able to fully delve into yet the interest is there. On the lighter side of Roleplays, however, I'm extremely interested in rewrites and crossovers. I used to belong to every crossover on an older website that I was on back when I first joined. I also love the idea of rewriting an entire story (RWBY, Fire Emblem, and Tales of Beseria come to mind) with new characters (that aren't self-inserts or OCs necessarily) or by completely shifting canonical characters. AUs are also a little fun too.

Fandom characters! Everyone is sooo worried that if you rp a canon character you need to write them 100% right. Not in my mind at most 70% given you a 30% to make them some what your own.

Fandom characters! Everyone is sooo worried that if you rp a canon character you need to write them 100% right. Not in my mind at most 70% given you a 30% to make them some what your own.

Just go for it. I honestly love playing canon characters and doing my best impressions of them in whatever scenario as its just a fun exercise in understanding the character. Heck recently hosted an Arknights RP where I was like 4 canon characters, and the players liked the dialogue, actions, and emotions that I added on to the characters that you don't get to see in the game. When you get those characters right it makes the RP like that much more in depth than if the characters were all OC. It really does feel like you're in-universe lmao.

Also as for not getting judged for whatever. I think doing more straight, romantic 1x1s. Like I've always wanted to get into them, but I myself am not very socially adept, good looking (doesn't really apply here but IRL), nor great at talking to the opposite sex so its just like something I'm very insecure with. And I get the sense that at least my partner would judge me for those insecurities. So if I was like 100% safe no judge environment, I'd want to take the leap.

this is less about the being judged aspect n more....idk how to ask for it: ive seen a lot of ppl who say they started a rp off w a slowburn / "if romance happens it happens" premise in mind only to have their partner's oc fall in love w their after 4 posts. and like- 😳 lowkey i wanna write mc getting rejected ?? like honest to God i wouldnt mind if that happened, it could make way for some g o o d development bw the ocs imo. maybe in a fantasy / adventure / quest rp lol idk

I want a roleplay revolving around childhood struggles. Like, any of them. From 'oh no I have a 60 in math and have to tell my mom and also I'm being called names' to shit like dealing with divorce of parents or the death of someone close. I want to play a child interacting with other children and the world.

more a message to myself STAHP BEING EMBERRASED ABOUT YOURE LOVE FOR SEBASTIAN HE IS A BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL MAN

Being judged isn't really my main concern, but I am always hesitant to make my characters religious. Or making them have a problem with religion due to reasons. Which is a shame since I love religious themes and religious symbolism so much! I do get around this by writing angels and demons, but incorporating it into some of my other characters would be lovely.

Being judged isn't really my main concern, but I am always hesitant to make my characters religious. Or making them have a problem with religion due to reasons. Which is a shame since I love religious themes and religious symbolism so much! I do get around this by writing angels and demons, but incorporating it into some of my other characters would be lovely.

I do it occasionally, opinions of others be damned(no pun intended, lol). I used to have a Russian vampire character who was the bastard child of one of the Tsars. Eventually he was exiled to a remote monastery and then once he was turned into a vampire he really struggled with the whole immortality aspect of it due to his faith. He was like "humans are supposed to die".

I don't know if you play fantasy or sci-fi themes, but it's pretty easy to fit religious themes into characters like that and make it your own. Like literally just make up a religion they follow that incorporates the themes you like without any of the judgment or stigma attached to existing religions.

I don't know if you play fantasy or sci-fi themes, but it's pretty easy to fit religious themes into characters like that and make it your own. Like literally just make up a religion they follow that incorporates the themes you like without any of the judgment or stigma attached to existing religions.

I've tried to GM a dystopian post-apocalyptic RP before where a fictional religion plays a major part in the plot.

Dang. I thought I was crazy. I myself have a lot of my own problems, and I find it kind of pleasant to kinda project that onto someone else (as in, my own OCs.) I honestly joined this site to find people like myself, who use role play as a way to be entertained, as well as cope with life. A lot of my friends couldn’t stomach a lot of the tragic stories I came up with, as a lot of them deal with self harm, death, etc. I’m honestly willing to rp with anyone who is willing to stomach what I come up with, and I’m not looking for someone who is mentally insane. (Though I’m okay with that.) I’m mostly looking for a person who can counteract the fact I enjoy making my characters suffer, if you know what I’m getting at.

Dang. I thought I was crazy. I myself have a lot of my own problems, and I find it kind of pleasant to kinda project that onto someone else (as in, my own OCs.) I honestly joined this site to find people like myself, who use role play as a way to be entertained, as well as cope with life. A lot of my friends couldn’t stomach a lot of the tragic stories I came up with, as a lot of them deal with self harm, death, etc. I’m honestly willing to rp with anyone who is willing to stomach what I come up with, and I’m not looking for someone who is mentally insane. (Though I’m okay with that.) I’m mostly looking for a person who can counteract the fact I enjoy making my characters suffer, if you know what I’m getting at.

Most of what I RP is pretty dark and angsty. I'm not afraid to make characters suffer.

Most of what I RP is pretty dark and angsty. I'm not afraid to make characters suffer.
Yay! Guess I’m not insane. Talk to me whenever- I don’t need sleep. Where would you plan to rp? I didn’t realize it said this forum was for on-site, but I would probably use Discord or Amino. (Sorry, I didn’t read the rules .-^-.)

As swamp fairy swamp fairy has previously suggested, fantasy can often be a great theme for introducing religious characters/customs. One of my favourite past adventures was playing a former Templar/Religious Warrior that joined a mercenary company of sell-swords when he felt disillusioned by the reality of warfare. Furthermore, it can be used to bridge a gap between characters and create more interesting relationships. One of the other characters was to mine a 'heretic', some lesser being from the Eastern shores. Whilst at first there was some obvious discomfort between the two, they had both seen their fair-share of evil shown by both sides. No-one could claim to be in the right, despite what their priests may spout out to encourage further bloodshed. Two war-torn characters, tired of war for God and country, tired of bringing justice to the masses at the edge of a sword, tired of being a pawn in God's name.
Krys is a devout Creationist and follows his teachings to the letter; although his blindness to reality has often been the source of conflict between himself and the Creationist Church. He had been but a child when he began his training as a knight, from a young age; he studied the 'Old book' and truely believed that defending Holy Creation was his purpose in life. At the time he was still too young to take part in the crusades to banish the heretics from the realm and instead was taken on by the local garrison to do more trivial tasks. Fetching water, assisting in the holy church with preperational tasks and generally not doing anything he was trained to do. Feeling frustrated at his role of little more than a servant, Krys was overjoyed when he finally came of age and was granted a knighthood in return for his devotion to Holy Creation. It was during his first Crusade that Krys began to realize that his faith wasn't as 'perfect' as he had been brought up to believe. He felt appalled as prisoners were killed where they surrendered, women were taken off by lesser men and never seen again. The screams and cries of the butchered peasants shook his soul to it's core, and then; his first battle approached. Several hundred Knights of Holy Creation and several hundred more hired mercenaries lined up to face the armed rabble of heretics and common-folk. It was as one-sided as you'd expect, the Knight Cavalry charged and the infantry carved up whatever was still breathing. It was not a true battle as he had been hearing as a child. There were no tales of brave chivalry to be told here, just a river of blood that flows amongst the dead.

A few years passed as more one-sided war were waged against the oppressed, Krys even stopped calling them heretics as it no-longer suited their enemy. 'Who are we fighting against?' He didn't even know, it was all a blur to him. Countless battles, countless un-needed massacres. Such evil took a toll on him, everything he had learnt and praised as the 'righteousness of Holy Creation' was little more than a excuse to pillage and murder. Feeling disgusted, he turned away from the church and wondered aimlessly for weeks; he felt betrayed by those he looked up to. How they lied to him and the others. He knew now that Holy Creation picks no side, because neither side is worthy of such sancitity.

Feeling abandoned by his previous order, Krys joined the Brimstone Legion. Prehaps he will find purpose here? Prehaps his faith will wither and die and become little more than a emotionless entity; only seeing joy in coin than justice?

Yeah, that's the thing. I know I can get around the issue by doing fantasy or making my own religions. But to me that's not really the point. I want to be able to write about religions that we have in the world already, the more well known ones.

Yeah, that's the thing. I know I can get around the issue by doing fantasy or making my own religions. But to me that's not really the point. I want to be able to write about religions that we have in the world already, the more well known ones.
I have sometimes dabbled in Sikhism for good moral styled character, usually one of public/emergency services. With modern-styled RPs, it's not usually such a big issue from my point of view. Diversity is much more common-place and acceptable today than it was in previous years so I can only suggest that some folk dislike religious characters when it's over-done. Faith for the sake of faith, rammed down everyone's throat to the point where it's obnoxious.

I personally don't think there's any issue with portraying real life religions. I have dealt with all sorts of real world religious and political themes in my own writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back