Other What did you want to be when you grew up?

I always wanted to live in my own bubble. Unfortunately, i haven't experience a lucid dream since 6 months already, and real life is hitting, really hard.

I want to be a game designer or a film editor. What i really want is to share my passion trough others people, so those two jobs are probably awesome for me. Participating in the creation of a game or a video that everyone could enjoy, this is what i truly want.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's crazy how society expects you to go into crazy amounts of debt in order to have a well off job. Ridiculous.

The math is in.  You only need to make about a $1.35 more than you would if you had no degree to make the degree worth it.   The real issue is fiscal prowess, and responsibility isn't taught during high school, so the debt piles up with interest.   You have to commit to eliminating the debt you incur, or it won't matter how much money you make.  You'll just always be broke. 

The math is in.  You only need to make about a $1.35 more than you would if you had no degree to make the degree worth it.   The real issue is fiscal prowess, and responsibility isn't taught during high school, so the debt piles up with interest.   You have to commit to eliminating the debt you incur, or it won't matter how much money you make.  You'll just always be broke. 

... That is a woeful oversimplification.

Then don't use credit cards!!!! Only buy what you can afford normally!!!!!

Then don't use credit cards!!!! Only buy what you can afford normally!!!!!

That's a terrible idea.  Credit cards are part of fiscal responsibility and a requirement to getting ahead in life.  They are far from the devil most people think they are you just have to understand how to use them, what sort of credit they actually establish (there are actually three different types of credit card), and how to work them.    I've earned a lot of money in Magic the Gathering by working interest rates on credit cards against one another, I own my own vehicle, and I own land (it was a house, but it burned down due to some poor choices of associates).  I wouldn't have any of that if I didn't have my credit cards.  I don't owe anything on any of them.  Most of the black marks on my credit are from stupid shit, like an early cancellation fee on a gym membership years ago, and a hospital bill I don't think I should have to pay (it wasn't me that went to the ER). 

Credit cards are a must because that's simply how the world works.   Finance trading isn't something I recommend, but Bitcoin is also a great way to invest imo.  I've made a decent amount on it in the last two years, but I just keep it rolling.  I don't ever cash it out, so I don't know if you could call it earned yet, as they still have potential to fail, but I don't believe it would if you were to look at the market history it's very consistent through several years, even after the mt.gox situation that happened back in 2014/15.  

This is attitude is EXACTLY what I'm talking about when we don't have any real education on fiscal prowess, or responsibility.  I don't mean to call you out, but I implore you to watch some youtube videos on what credit is, how it works, and how you can use it to better yourself.  They are a tool that when you use them right are absolutely indispensable. 

That's a terrible idea.  Credit cards are part of fiscal responsibility and a requirement to getting ahead in life.  They are far from the devil most people think they are you just have to understand how to use them, what sort of credit they actually establish (there are actually three different types of credit card), and how to work them.    I've earned a lot of money in Magic the Gathering by working interest rates on credit cards against one another, I own my own vehicle, and I own land (it was a house, but it burned down due to some poor choices of associates).  I wouldn't have any of that if I didn't have my credit cards.  I don't owe anything on any of them.  Most of the black marks on my credit are from stupid shit, like an early cancellation fee on a gym membership years ago, and a hospital bill I don't think I should have to pay (it wasn't me that went to the ER). 

Credit cards are a must because that's simply how the world works.   Finance trading isn't something I recommend, but Bitcoin is also a great way to invest imo.  I've made a decent amount on it in the last two years, but I just keep it rolling.  I don't ever cash it out, so I don't know if you could call it earned yet, as they still have potential to fail, but I don't believe it would if you were to look at the market history it's very consistent through several years, even after the mt.gox situation that happened back in 2014/15.  

This is attitude is EXACTLY what I'm talking about when we don't have any real education on fiscal prowess, or responsibility.  I don't mean to call you out, but I implore you to watch some youtube videos on what credit is, how it works, and how you can use it to better yourself.  They are a tool that when you use them right are absolutely indispensable. 

"By early 2017, with growth likely to stall even according to CBO predictions, it should be apparent that we're reliving an alarming history. Middle- and low-income households have been following a trajectory of an ever-higher ratio of debt to income. That same ratio has been decreasing for the most well-off 10%, who are continuing to see debt decline and wealth rise."

The Guardian

"The banking system, which formerly financed business, is increasingly focused on converting as much of the economy as possible into leveraged debt instruments. Even consumer spending is reduced with high credit card interest rate charges. Indebtedness is rising faster than the real production in the economy."

Global Research Canada

"[credit cards] lower the value of money even as they increase its viability."

John Geanakoplos of Yale University and Pradeep K. Dubey of SUNY  in Forbes

... So no ... No they aren't. Bitcoins are even worse.

Reuters - Mind Your Wallet

ZDNet - Criminal Coin Miners

Technology Review - Bitcoins and Smart Contracts

EDIT: Hey ... That was needlessly confrontational of me ... So I have to apologize. I still believe credit is inherently evil, but you have a right to your opinion, and I'm sure the internet could produce at least three articles outlining the benefits of credit. However, you have to admit that it's a volatile finacial device that has the potential to do more harm than good.

When I was a wee child, I always said I wanted to be a jet pilot because I thought it'd make people like me more in school

but in reality I just wanted to be a weaboo shut in

I've always been a fan of animals. I thought becoming a veterinarian was the way to go when I was a kid.

Now, I'm embarking on a journey to digital nomadism. It sounds so liberating. Plus, there are a lot of writing gigs out there and I do love to write.

When I was younger I always wanted to be an architect, I really liked buildings and designing things. Always loved big, booming cities and their skylines, urban environments in-general are some of my favorite to be in. They're just so lively and active, so many things to notice and look at. Now I'm not so much into the idea due to all the requirements and learning more about the job itself, although I still like buildings and urban environments without a doubt. It wasn't just being an architect that had interested me though, the arts had been a favorite of mine too when I was little. I loved drawing things and like my interest in architecture I enjoyed designing things as well, I'm still trying to better myself at drawing even now although it's a long and hard process I've found, still love it to pieces but I've decided its not a career path I'll be taking anytime soon xD

However I'm definitely looking towards becoming a pilot now, I've always had good eyesight and I certainly look after my body, and since I'm already in MCJROTC I'm aiming towards Marine Aviation as a helicopter pilot as some point. Aircraft have always interested me, probably since I had my first holiday where I had to get on a plane, it was a trip to Hawaii in-case you were wondering ;p And I've had tons of helicopter rides since then, I just love the feeling of being in the air and the thought of controlling the helicopter just gets my blood flowing for some reason. Plus I've always had a patriot-side to me so the military has nearly always been on my mind. Though I've got another job in mind just in-case, I wouldn't mind becoming a chef since I'm pretty good at cooking if I do say so myself and with prior experience it'd certainly help in finding work in that area ^^

That might've been a little all over the place but you get the idea :smile5:

EDIT: Hey ... That was needlessly confrontational of me ... So I have to apologize. I still believe credit is inherently evil, but you have a right to your opinion, and I'm sure the internet could produce at least three articles outlining the benefits of credit. However, you have to admit that it's a volatile financial device that has the potential to do more harm than good.

Noooo, this is good.  You're discourse is on point.  I just happen to disagree with you.   I do not think in any way it has the potential to do more harm than good.  I own over $9k in Magic the Gathering assets.  I own my house (it's now just land because the house had to be leveled.  A story for another time), and my car.  All of it is paid.  I own several credit cards.  All of them are paid off.  

I wouldn't have any of this if I didn't know how to use a credit card.  By no means do they do more harm than good if you understand what they are, how they work, and how you can gain an advantage with them.  I firmly believe if you want to accomplish something greater than yourself, and be financially available to most things life has to offer you are going to have to use other people's money.   It is how our economy works.  I do admit that some debtors are much worse than others.  Some are not nearly as good.   I can only use my American Express card in a hand full of retail stores because they charge a much higher premium to the merchant for the merchant to accept them but I get FAR better returns on it than any other card.  I've been to Europe twice for free off of just that card.    

This is where personal diligence, and research is required.  There isn't a substitute here, and if you do it wrong you can get into some serious trouble.  

I'm not into trading links.  This is mostly personal opinion here, and getting into formal debate is much more work than I intend to put into a colloquial conversation.   Something I will say about the links regarding Bitcoin however is you should check the dates, and then check the market history of BTC during that time.  I'm willing to bet that several of them you find will have a pattern.  There will have been a major bullrun on BTC, and then there will be a drop off, during the cooldown (where price recovers about 2~4% of the total dropoff) is most likely where these links dates will match up give or take a day, maybe two.   This is because many investors do not control their own investment assets; the internet drives the market of those who have more money than brains and these links are often designed to scare them.   Give me something in the ballpark of fifty links, research articles, and investor notes.  We can both take a month to research, and then will take have a meaningful pool of information to draw from, though still it would be very limited.

BTC has the same pattern as almost any stock, and my personal portfolio has gained about 30% since I began investing in 2014.    I recently began investments in another cryptocurrency called Ethereum, or ETH.   I've got very sizable gains from this, and I believe that it's an excellent starting point for investing due to the very low price point.   There is always risk in investing regardless of what you invest in.  It can be vintage cars.  Doesn't matter.  There is always risk.  It is up to the person to research those risks, and hedge your personal assets you have now against the potential gains vs the potential loss.  Knowing how to do this effectively is the essence of investing.   

Addressing your link from the Guardian -  This proves people do not understand finance, and it should be taught in school before one becomes an adult.  Math is cool.  

Global Research Canada -  Again, this reinforces my point that people do not understand how to use lines of credit.  

Forbes -  This is true, and I concede this point, but we do not have a secure alternative besides cryptocurrency which interacts with our global economy on a much different level than credit does.  Not because of cryptocurrencies volatility, though it is very much a factor, it's more to do with the concept that is has no backed value but people don't realize that very few countries currencies are backed by a value.  

I'm going to go on a rant here, but the only reason the US dollar is currently effective as a global standard is because during Ronald Reagan's Presidency he created treaties making it to where a country (who signed such treaty) was not allowed to trade oil in any currency other than USD.  There isn't any asset backing our dollar.  Only a concept that their would be Global war, if Saudi Arabia and China most notably, backed out of this agreement.  This is also the reason why we spend so much money on our military.   Because we have to be able to strong-arm these treaties, otherwise there wouldn't be any threat to keep them biding and the US dollar would go the way of the Peso.  

So no... I still believe you are very wrong, sir.  We will have to continue to agree to disagree on this.  

Lmao in kindergarten they had the whole class write this down for the yearbook and I just -

I wrote mother and I'm dying because nowadays I'd like to be anything but.

I wanted to be a rock star when I grew up. Then by the time I was a teenager, making and playing music for a living did not appeal to me in the slightest. So I had switched wanting to be a game developer. Wasn't too long after I accepted my true paasion and calling. I have wanted to be a film maker for a very long time.

I went through a couple stages of career choices as a kid, all dealing with animals. First it was a veterinarian (until I learned that they had to put animals to sleep and I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of creating that professional distance necessary), then a zoologist (because I liked wild animals, but I couldn't pick a speciality),  and then a marine biologist (because I went to Sea World and Discovery Cove and fell in love with sea life). But then I took a couple biology classes and decided that I liked learning about science, but didn't like doing science. Now I'm studying to be a historian. Go figure. I do still love animals, though, and still plan on doing SCUBA whenever I can.

Veterinarian - love animals don't mind cleaning up after them. Got all the way up until i realized there was science and blood involved. And I was like...well that's not happening.

Now I just want to grow up to be a wyvern... No one told me this was an option...

Why doesn't everyone want to  be a Wyvern?

It's all the awesome that comes with being a motherfucking dragon - but with none of the responsibility that comes with the position. There's no pressure to kidnap princesses, no need to prove yourself by amassing a hoard; no weighty parental expectations of conquest, legacy or any kind of "reign of terror" - you're a big scaly flying dude and you're doing your own thing.

It's like being a happily unemployed superhero - everybody thinks you're unremarkable so they don't ask for help, so you can use your powers for your own benefit.

As a 7- year old I wanted to be a waitress in some prestigious restaurant and wear a nice suit and a tie. That and a drug dealer, since we were taught that they make lots of money by doing what they do (even if it's wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back