Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Yeah, I got one- think any character I made when I first started Roleplaying years ago on another forum. Talk about absolutely one-dimensional characters, little to no flaws, and just bleg. It didn't help that my grammar and 'acting' skills were horrendous when I started. I don't mind simple characters in stories, heck, you can probably argue some of my characters would be considered (simple) it's a subjective broad category. But unless their whole point is literally meant to be an occasional background character that shows up from time to time, they really need to be more developed haha. Have some flaws! Don't make them much of a boys scout or some edgelord.

Yeah, I got one- think any character I made when I first started Roleplaying years ago on another forum. Talk about absolutely one-dimensional characters, little to no flaws, and just bleg. It didn't help that my grammar and 'acting' skills were horrendous when I started. I don't mind simple characters in stories, heck, you can probably argue some of my characters would be considered (simple) it's a subjective broad category. But unless their whole point is literally meant to be an occasional background character that shows up from time to time, they really need to be more developed haha. Have some flaws! Don't make them much of a boys scout or some edgelord.
I have had so many people with characters like that. Like, I understand if the character is "simple" as in they don't have an overwhelming, difficult backstory. What I mean is, I don't like it when people only give like, two facts about their character (ex: name and birthday only), and then expect me to be able to roleplay with them, thinking I know every little detail about the character. For example, it's like if I were to have my character offer tea to the other character, and then the other player is like, "Oh, my chracter doesn't like tea." "Uh..... You could have told me that from the start." That kind of thing.

Oh! I would say the player years ago who was a monster when angry and a cute girl when calm... nothing cringe there but the cringe = I would try and type paragraphs just to see if I could get a rise... EVERY. SINGLE. REPONSE. was one word. Most the time barely two or four letters.

Oh! I would say the player years ago who was a monster when angry and a cute girl when calm... nothing cringe there but the cringe = I would try and type paragraphs just to see if I could get a rise... EVERY. SINGLE. REPONSE. was one word. Most the time barely two or four letters.
That was a troll. That had to be a troll. I refuse to believe there's somebody out there who unironically only posts one word responses in Roleplays.

I sometimes, and still do, encourage people to give me one word replies; any chance to force me to be the active force in the roleplay is a chance I'd rather have. 😙

I'm a "work off of anything" type of guy, and it helps test my motivation to write, so one word replies don't really get me as hard as most people.

Though I get tired of people who claim their characters are good for any setting, and then they leave you hanging when you make a starter that doesn't suit them. Like, at least tell me the styles don't fit. I repeatedly say I'll go off of anything out of spite for those people to show that I can reply off of anything. 🥴

Novelight Novelight ah the goth edgelord phase. Not like I can talk my agoraphobic succubus wasn’t much better tbh.

I mostly just get a chuckle out of those characters now. Like “man give it a few years and your entire body is gonna cringe when you remember you wrote that”.

New story! Not to long ago I came across a player who was... bad. Their character concepts weren't necessarily bad (though one was a bit too close to mine in regards to power set but that was probably a coincidence) but their writing... woof. I don't know if they weren't a native English speaker if they were young or whatever but they had a serious problem with punctuation or rather, the lack there of. Plus there was a lot of typos and using the wrong tenses of words (or words that meant the same thing as what they were going for but didn't work in the sentence). Also, they wrote all their posts in a really hard to read color.

I was part of an RP last year, and someone asked to join, they seemed pretty normal OOC, so we said sure.

… then their OP character proceeded to try and massacre the entire cast just a few posts in - using a tornado of ferocious beasts (?) 👀

I’m sure they were a troll.

They were inside a cave, so we just made it collapse on said character and the (confused and slightly traumatised) party went on their merry way.

"He has immortality. He can't die, but his healing doesn’t take time. If he gets anything ripped or cut off, he can regrow that limb like a starfish. If he does get ripped in half, the portion with the brain will heal."

If he's ripped in half and the portion with the brain heals, would he duplicate into two invincible edgelords?

I don't have any bad characters that come to mind for me honestly! I was as bad as the people around me and so it didn't affect me at all.

Now what I do have is a bad player experience. In the past, I used to RP on a particular social media app known for beauty ads and diet teas. Most people I roleplayed with were great! However, there was one person that really ticked me off. I had messaged them to roleplay and we were on a good footing. I had some real-life things come up and informed my partner that I would be offline and unable to reply for an hour or more.

I leave and come back and see that they had vaguely posted about me on their public story. I was confused. I had a life outside of my roleplays and I got busy for an hour or more. I was polite about this and as far as I was aware, I didn't do anything wrong. What about what I said warranted a vague post? I would've understood if they came and talked to ME directly, but nope, let's post this for the world to see I guess. Needless to say, I just blocked them and moved on.

This story honestly pisses me off to this day.

"She nodded."

"She shook her head."

"She sighed."

"She sighed again."

No lie, thread upon thread, dozens and dozens of identical responses to other people's posts trying to get some sort of response out of her. I didn't write with her myself, but I kept an eye on these threads with a sort of strange fascination. I'm very surprised people continued to rp with her at all, and still do to this day.

"She nodded."

"She shook her head."

"She sighed."

"She sighed again."

No lie, thread upon thread, dozens and dozens of identical responses to other people's posts trying to get some sort of response out of her. I didn't write with her myself, but I kept an eye on these threads with a sort of strange fascination. I'm very surprised people continued to rp with her at all, and still do to this day.
Not going to lie, this sounds like someone my friends had the unfortunate opportunity of writing with in a group roleplay. Only, that person didn't even bother to use quotation marks for her two word responses.

Yikes ...

This girl is the kind of rper that gets involved in tons of threads, lots of partners and plots going on, but still complains that she's bored and wants more.

"She pouted."

"She nodded."

"She shook her head."

"She sighed."

"She sighed again."

this reminds me of when i was like, 10 years old and doing asterisk rp — it’s actually so weird when i think back on it, cause i’d be like… “she yawns and falls asleep”, and then me and the girl i was rping with would literally just go “*sleeps*” “*sleeps*” “*sleeps*” “*sleeps*” until one of the characters eventually woke up 😭 absolutely No plot development was happening.

"He has immortality. He can't die, but his healing doesn’t take time. If he gets anything ripped or cut off, he can regrow that limb like a starfish. If he does get ripped in half, the portion with the brain will heal."

I wonder what would have happened if said character got split in half straight up and down. Are there now two of the same person?

"lucius morningstar was born the son of satan" "he is able to bend both good and evil magic to his will" "is basically the strongest/most powerful character in this roleplay" "17" "also, don't worry, this charictar will not be op." "i just wanted to put out there that Lucius is strong and powerful. Oh, and that he is the leader." "as far as that main character vibes he gives, it is supposed to be main character vibes."

this was for a group superhero rp a while back. and the list of powers he had were so damn long... "would have put the full list, but that would take hours and hours"

oy. this was bad. multiple people left. is it so wrong that i just want to roleplay one time with the superhero character i have?
the fact that i know exactly who you're talking about

Around a year, possibly two years ago, I was apart of a revamped MHA group that had originally started when I was around 16. Me and one other person were the only suriviving members and decided we wanted to start again. So we sat down, I churned out some lore for an American school and pro hero system, and we invited some people we thought were cool. We had my character, the other guy's character from the original group, and like 4 other characters. The cast was very diverse and very fun, but two people were somewhat... problematic. I'll only mention the first one since he was a much bigger offender.

The first was someone I will refer to as B (B for bastard.) I knew him for a few months before the RP and was somewhat hesitant to let him in, but at the time I was rather bad at saying no. He wasn't a monster, per say, but his untreated BPD was a beast to deal with when he happened to have a mood swing. I was also his "special person". This caused quite a bit of tension between us because he simultaneously put me on a pedestal and said I was an evil person at the same time. He also said some awful things to me that I would rather not repeat here.

His character was Russian, and I'll just call him Leo. After almost naming him a word translated into Russian (to which the actual Slav freaked out and helped him pick a real name) the character went right into development. His quirk was actually fairly sound, he could read the trajectories of objects and hits and also scan anything that had a biological component. Basically he was like a walking computer, but was limited in the physical department. His quirk did help him avoid getting merked for the whole time he was there. His backstory was a little sketch but workable: kidnapped as a baby and raised by the Russian mafia as a fighting dog. Horribly unsocialized and introverted because of this. When the RP started, his character was actually very funny. He spoke in not so perfect English and in an attempt to be nice to my character he called her shirt pretty. Overall someone raised wrong just trying to be a good person.

But then the RP went on. The player and the character started to blend and any consistencies pointed out would be written off by him as "that's what my character would do." We quite literally HAD to make hard and fast rules because of some of the stuff he was doing. Leo, once a shy and socially awkward dork, was now a brooding lone wolf who hated working in his group, a far cry from what he claimed his character was like at all.

He also had a thing for my character that was somewhat ironed out OOC. Since it was high school we thought it would be funny to have a love triangle (and I was playing the only female character at the time lol.) The catch? All parties were a little guilty, but especially mine for leading them both on at the same time. But as his character got more and more distasteful, it became more and more difficult to actually include him on things since his character loved to self-isolate and expected us to do all the work. He also had... violent outbursts, some of them had to be retconned.

The final straw happened when we were deciding a post order for an intense scene so that everyone had the opportunity to reply. I had analyzed the situation and put forth the order of the characters arriving based on speed, and he was extremely upset that my character got there before his. My character wasn't even first. He blew up on me in DMs calling me many awful things and refused to participate until it was "fixed." I showed everyone the conversation and they freaked out that I hadn't mentioned this was repeat behavior so we pretty much just booted him out and moved on without him. It was a shame we couldn't get all the character arcs in that we wanted to do before that point.

I blocked him and haven't spoken to him since. I don't think I ever want to interact with someone as cruel as he was ever again.

I once had a 1x1 roleplay with someone. It...didn't last long thankfully.

So, our characters were in some sort of facility. I think the basic plot was "to deal with their phobias" - aka. "they essentially get knocked TF out and then forced to live in a dream-version of their phobia." -> essentially human experimentation to see if that actually cures the phobia. Nothing special. This was NOT a fantasy roleplay. EVERY character was human with NO abilities.
Between procedures, they were locked into cells so they can't escape. This was previously also stated to the other writer.
So, my character was just chillin' in his cell, waiting to be led into the courtyard (they are allowed to go there once a day). Her character, for whatever ungodly unknown reason, was allowed to roam freely. She...randomly walked up to my characters cell, BENT OPEN THE GATES and then told my character to go out. Like??? Girl??

After I read that I legit just...left the roleplay group and blocked said person. I also took a break because I legit could NOT deal with what just happened.

I don't have any bad characters that come to mind for me honestly! I was as bad as the people around me and so it didn't affect me at all.

Now what I do have is a bad player experience. In the past, I used to RP on a particular social media app known for beauty ads and diet teas. Most people I roleplayed with were great! However, there was one person that really ticked me off. I had messaged them to roleplay and we were on a good footing. I had some real-life things come up and informed my partner that I would be offline and unable to reply for an hour or more.

I leave and come back and see that they had vaguely posted about me on their public story. I was confused. I had a life outside of my roleplays and I got busy for an hour or more. I was polite about this and as far as I was aware, I didn't do anything wrong. What about what I said warranted a vague post? I would've understood if they came and talked to ME directly, but nope, let's post this for the world to see I guess. Needless to say, I just blocked them and moved on.

This story honestly pisses me off to this day.
I had someone do something similar to me. I work at a haunted house and I am also the backing vocalist for an 80s metal band, so I get busy sometimes. I told my partner this, and they post on their profile saying, "This person is a bad roleplayer. Don't roleplay with her. She doesn't respond." And I'm like, "I specifically said that I get busy. I'm in the haunt business and music business. I work two jobs. The hell do you want me to do?" They acted like they wanted me to give up my jobs just to give them my full attention.

I actually just left a Star Trek roleplay. The guy I was roleplaying seemed like he knew what he was doing when we were plotting, but when we started the actual roleplay, it went to hell. I was writing three to four paragraphs per reply, and he was writing four words to one sentence. I just got sick of it and left. I said in my rp request that I am a paragraph writer and that I'd like for my partner to give me a paragraph at least, no one-lines, but he continued to write one liners. What made it worse? He was using "--" for actions, and wasn't using quotations for speech.

This one chick in a zombie apocalypse the way her oc was written she was supposed to be a bad ass soldier. Until someone picked up the show’s favorite and things started going downhill. Deliberately putting their oc in danger and using characters as yes men or mouth pieces for her pairing. It’s not a coincidence that rp died.

The reminds me of a group from waaaay back in my Gaia days. The GM seemed pretty nice at first (and to be fair was always perfectly nice whenever you chatted with her OOC) but when it came to running the group it was a hundred percent about her character and their love interest.

And it was just kinda awkward for everyone else as we’re all “like it’s nice that you two are vibing but we kinda would like the plot to get started now.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back