Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Worst experience was years ago, when I had just started writing. Encountered a partner (and their character) who didn’t actually want me to write my own character. They just wanted me to write a world where their OC was famous, practically worshipped, and that was it. Like, I was supposed to write random people who would fawn over their OC at all times and nothing else.

It didn’t end very well.

Don't get me started on southern US metaphors. xD They are much more confusing.

Anyway, back on topic.

I ran across this player who had a very interesting character for the Pokemon universe in another RP site. It was obvious that he had headcanons of how things like the Aether Foundation worked (obviously after the stuff happens in the games when they are pretty tame). The Aether Foundation in Pokemon is just a bunch of scientists. They wouldn't normally hire bodyguards of Champion caliber, if at all, and they normally kept their studies to Alola, very rarely ever leaving the region to follow through with their studies. They aren't freedom fighters or an organization similar to Interpol, yet he decided to make them this way.

The player, I will abbreviate to GR, made his character the Champion of Alola and the Aether Foundation apparently regarded him as a hero and made him into the guardian or something. He beat Alola's league with three Pokemon. A Sylveon, a Pikachu, and a Primarina. Two of these Pokemon share a weakness to Poison and the other is weak to Ground. They also have crap for defenses, especially Pikachu. What's even more hilariously awful was that all three Pokemon didn't have very good moves that they chose. When you make a team of Pokemon, you are supposed to have a wide array of coverage and secondary effects, or follow a set theme to make really good teams on. Each Pokemon has to counter something and they must have great synergy. He was using the four-move rule (I personally detest this and prefer to use as many moves that my characters and their Pokemon can feasibly remember, obviously some moves having been used more and therefore have more experience with them), so he only had four moves for each of his Pokemon. His Pikachu, depending on the RP, would have three to four Electric-Type moves. So a Ground-Type Pokemon can instantly destroy it. Sylveon and Primarina had other horrible moves and they each had three of the same types in their moveset that they used. He later added a Dragonite, but the Pokemon also had three Dragon-Type moves, a Fairy-Type can instantly wall him.

I get that the Alola League was canonically a new thing so they aren't as strong or have a good renown as the other Pokemon Leagues like the ones in Kanto and Sinnoh, but how the hell did he beat the Elite Four with three Pokemon? I get Ash used only five Pokemon, but he had an Ultra Beast in Naganadel and a Legendary in Melmetal despite him having a Rowlet and a Pikachu. GR's character would have been swept by the Elite Four members before he even got to the champion, especially since his three Pokemon didn't do so well against physical attackers, like all of Hala's Pokemon. I've done the calculations myself, I don't know how he did it. xD And if he even did have his Dragonite there, Hala has a Crabominable with Ice Hammer. I know Crabominable isn't the fastest, but one hit with that thing would decimate Dragonite.

In any of the RPs he's on, he has a knack for sneaking in participation of Legendaries and Mythicals for his character. Since this site is mainly a Pokemon RP site, they have had to add rules against using Legendaries, Mythicals, and Ultra Beasts (and Mega Stones) without admin permission. First, he had tried adding Keldeo and Genesect as allies to his character, but typed it in so no one would notice unless they actually read it. Then Kyurem or getting an item that was used from Kyurem. Anytime he was called out, either for that or for spamming or having conversational topics on a thread specifically only for OOC for the RP, he got super mouthy and was giving the admin attitude for no reason. He got into trouble, got caught and got warned, only for him to play the victim and say the admin is taking away everything he enjoys. And then he'll blame it on autism. Which I doubt he has and, if he did, I've met plenty of people on the spectrum who understood how to follow the rules. He was just trying to find loopholes and skirt around the rules, which means he's got the intelligence and was very aware of what he was doing, which doesn't make his argument valid.

I also don't mind if a character has become allies or friends with canon characters, but I tend to avoid the ones in Pokemon unless they are gym leaders or the crime organizations or what-have-you, but one of the characters he chose to become his ally or friend wouldn't have liked him. Kinda cringe. He also had Kingdom Hearts stuff. Which, I don't mind, but I had no idea and someone said it was plagiarism, especially since he was kind of touting it as his own because he gave no mention to Kingdom Hearts at all. However, he was just cringe as a player all around, and I can tell his character was a self-insert Mary Sue. Because his profile and his character shared the same name and same ideaology.

Now, to the meat and potatoes.

GR made an RP about Team Plasma using some ice serum thing that they synthesized because they didn't have access to Kyurem. This was fine to have as the plot because Kyurem wasn't being used at all. On the character sheets, he told someone their character, a Champion of Unova, couldn't have a knife or a gun, and they told him that he can have a foam knife. This isn't LARP, and I told him this. Later, he accepts someone's character, who he's friends with, and his character had an axe with water or something like that. My character had a slingshot. I asked him why he didn't just ask if he can have a stun gun, I asked why he favored somebody else, who has a much deadlier weapon than a knife and why he didn't ask to change it, and I told him that this was real life, not some action LARP sequence where foam swords do damage. They do nothing, and it will look off for someone, especially of Champion status, to be walking around with a foam knife. He tried to say that the axe might have been rusted, but then I brought up the health concerns and you'd have to be pretty irresponsible to not take care of it if it were rusted. I then told him that he just accepted my character, who had the capability of causing concussions in someone's head and, if used with a sharp enough rock and with enough force, can kill someone if shot at the back of their head. He didn't argue with me anymore and he used autism as an excuse. I get that it's a different learning curve and you have to figure out how to learn differently, but I had mental issues, I've seen people with autism, and they are pretty understanding people who can grasp concepts pretty well. He then ignored me and we started the RP.

However, my character wanted to talk to another character and she had to stay behind so she can refill the water tanks for her Dracovish. He then takes off to do the objective himself. Apparently, Team Plasma took over the communications tower in Castelia City. Castelia City is based on New York and has really tall skyscrapers, with the tallest being the comms tower. So, he had his character ditch us, he got warned for it because he was just RPing by himself at that point, and then he blames us in the private convo we had for not hurrying up and for leaving his character alone. I told him my character had to stay behind so her Dracovish doesn't suffocate and I wanted some character interaction. He left, he could have stayed, and yet he blamed it on us for not following his every lead. He then had his character take over the tower before our characters can even get there, and then he had Team Plasma start to blow it up.

An entire skyscraper, with innocent people inside, in a place built like New York and based on it.... and his character was just going to leave and let the building crumble. Sounds a lot like 9/11.

We paused the RP, me and another person were telling him that this was a terrorist act that would get Team Plasma into a lot of trouble and they would have been combatted against with much more force if this were to happen. Plus, the effects of a building of that height falling isn't going to just affected the building, but the nearby buildings and the streets below. We were arguing the logistics of how they wired the building to explode if Pokemon like Growlithe and Stoutland can smell it out, why can't Team Plasma just take it back especially since they outnumbered his character, and, if he wanted his character to be the hero, isn't he going to save everyone? Very great hero to have if he just lets people die. And because of that aspect, he was going to glorify the deaths of thousands of people and the suffering of thousands more because his character wanted to save himself and then be seen as the hero, which is extremely bad taste and sounds like he's glorifying 9/11. Doubt that he was going for that, but it didn't sit right with any of us.

I then bring up the argument about the weapons again. Saying how he didn't allow guns and knives, but allowed a crime organization, who had a better head on their shoulders, to blow up an entire skyscraper and cause thousands of deaths.... He then said that he just wanted his character to be the main character, and we told him that an RP should either have everyone be main characters or there should be none and having his character be the only special one was not the way to have an RP, but fanfiction. If he wanted to have his character be the main character, he should have started a fanfiction and have a different frame of mind going into an RP. He then stopped the RP completely because everyone was fighting him, passively aggressively blaming us for not going with him on his story, and then he tried joining another RP, only to be set to Read-Only for including a cosmic galaxy shield made by a Cosmog, which is against the rules.

Good lord, I felt like I lost all of my brain cells except for two and I swear I lost a few decades to my life typing this cringefest out...

Nothing quite like the old 'my kids franchise needs to be mature with guns and violence' like holy shit.

This character is legit the bodybuilder person in Deadrising 3 that Nick encounters. I never thought I would see such a stereotype being used for a character. And of course they are Russian because all Russians are strong and scary.

Worst players would be:
- Someone who ghosted me because I got pregnant irl (I talked to them about it once, they got super rude about it, told me not to be a smug pregnant lady)

- This guy who got super possessive and jealous and would like time me and shit when I went grocery shopping, because he wanted a reply. Called himself my best friend after like a day of talking.

- This girl from back in my AIM days, who wasn't a bad writer? But she always played the same character. And this character latched onto the villain of whatever fandom (Manfred von Karma from Ace Attorney, Rotti Largo from Repo!) and she wanted to be their Stepford Wife/Baby Mama. Like it never makes sense for the character. Maybe Rotti, maybe, but she'd disappear the moment he was mad at her. Anyway, it was always basically the same story, you just subbed in whatever villain she wanted.

- Marvel/DC rp where Batman learned a slur against mutants and then proceeded to only use that term when talking to the X-men. Like, what?

- Lady I used to know, who always made these "badass, don't need no man" characters who did, in fact need a man to come save them. It wasn't done ironically. Also absolutely all of them had Elliot Page's face. She also had a bad habit of ruining what other people were trying to accomplish, like butting into a a fight two other players agreed on the outcome of, and then ruining their plans and complaining when she was called on it.

Okay, I don't know who Rotti Largo is but why Manfred von Karma! Why! The man is literally the worst and also, like, a bazillion years old (which raises multiple questions about Franziska's mother).
Because only she could teach him what true love is!

That pretty much sums up Rotti Largo. He spends the whole movie pining over his ex-fiancee, who ran off with someone else. It did not end well for her.

This character is legit the bodybuilder person in Deadrising 3 that Nick encounters. I never thought I would see such a stereotype being used for a character. And of course they are Russian because all Russians are strong and scary.
As someone of Russian descent this made me laugh. Some of the stereotypes amuse since I'm this tiny little thing.

People who try to put too much anime and wangst into settings considerably lacking in these, disregarding the tone entirely to be whatever flavor of 15 year old chuunibyou weeb is in season.

a long time ago, i had someone tell me to my face that they just copy+pasted my character into a private roleplay they were doing because they liked that character so much. maybe they thought i would take it as a compliment or something; i really have no idea. this same person also tried to force some uh sweet home alabama stuff after creating a character that was the cousin of my character (my character was a fandomless oc, btw; she just decided to make a cousin bc ????) which i absolutely was not okay with + was generally weird ooc in a way that i only realized once i got older. 0/10 would not recommend.

my first or second year on this site, someone messaged me for a roleplay. i honestly don't remember the plot, but it was some college based roleplay. i was probably 12/13, and my face claim was melanie martinez (bc i was an edgy middle schooler). the person i was rping with replied with a picture of presumably themselves and they looked double the age of the character. it gave off discord mod vibes if you get what i'm saying. i remember being disturbed and kind of scared so i ghosted them. they were either for real or just trolling me -- i don't know but then again, i was a child.

side note: i just remembered this encounter while reading this thread because i must've suppressed this. i don't know if it's my worst encounter bc i have forgotten a lot.

Last edited:
pasta pasta In fairness sometimes people just steal random pictures from the internet. Which is a red flag of a slightly different color.

that said any time someone tries to use a private photo of a real person (whether themselves of Joe Schmoe from Instagram) I’m like that’s a hard no.

Either you stole someone’s pictures which is gross. Or your roleplaying as yourself which is also gross.

A guy PMs me.
Says he's interested in my 1x1 plot, but 'warns' me about being 'advanced literate' roleplayer with 'years' of experience, who writes as much as several sentences per post.
All the while making numerous syntax, punctuation, and capitalization errors.

Frankly speaking, many such a case.
The only question is: did he think I was stupid and try to manipulate me into thinking he was more literate than he actually was (my advert had my literacy level stated), or was it some severe case of Dunning-Kruger effect?

A guy PMs me.
Says he's interested in my 1x1 plot, but 'warns' me about being 'advanced literate' roleplayer with 'years' of experience, who writes as much as several sentences per post.
All the while making numerous syntax, punctuation, and capitalization errors.

Frankly speaking, many such a case.
The only question is: did he think I was stupid and try to manipulate me into thinking he was more literate than he actually was (my advert had my literacy level stated), or was it some severe case of Dunning-Kruger effect?

I call it telling on yourself. It’s usually done by people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Ex. I had a person who claimed to have Multiple Personalities and Bipolar. Which one is a illness only found in TV/books and the other is something one of my family members also has.

The key details in both cases is the real disorders being referenced have very specific names IRL, that a person with the actual disorders would specify.

plus they wouldn’t be so flippant about either one.

Or the time a obvious teenager tried to tell me she was in her thirties but had no idea how jobs worked.

I mean sure you can be thirty without a job, but you at the very least know someone who does have a job and enough of the details to be able to talk about it.

Like they talked about jobs the way a child would. It was so bizarre. Especially since I don’t actually care how old my partners are. I specifically stated that too.

I call it telling on yourself. It’s usually done by people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Ex. I had a person who claimed to have Multiple Personalities and Bipolar. Which one is a illness only found in TV/books and the other is something one of my family members also has.

The key details in both cases is the real disorders being referenced have very specific names IRL, that a person with the actual disorders would specify.

plus they wouldn’t be so flippant about either one.

Or the time a obvious teenager tried to tell me she was in her thirties but had no idea how jobs worked.

I mean sure you can be thirty without a job, but you at the very least know someone who does have a job and enough of the details to be able to talk about it.

Like they talked about jobs the way a child would. It was so bizarre. Especially since I don’t actually care how old my partners are. I specifically stated that too.

Sounds like a compulsive liar. A whole different can of worms.

I had an online friend like that. The stories they would tell me were some of the wildest and most creative I've ever heard.
They would also forget their lies quite often and change their life story roughly once a year.
From sustaining oneself on sweepstakes to inheriting several thousand $ of insurance monthly from their still alive parents to receiving such insurance for chronic Cystitis....open carrying a machine gun, hacking a gaming company to bankruptcy at the age of 7, pwning people in counter strike at the age of 4....getting fentanyl instead of morphine at the hospital for aforementioned Cystitis...

All of these lies were at least partially grounded in reality. For example, the niche company they supposedly hacked really did exist some years ago, and it really did shut down.
From a certain point of view, having this kind of personality is great for a writer, as long as one can channel these delusions into fiction.

I can think of two people who were what I'd choosier the worst players. One I don't know if he was just unable to improve, the other was an outright troll.

So back in my DeviantArt rp days I had a group of friends I rp'd with. We'd all join each other's groups and stuff. One of them was this kid that just didn't engage with the plot most of the time. He's usually have his two characters, a couple, off being fluffy while ignoring the rest of us. I also remember one time he was playing an event for someone in combat and he had the enemy just die of a heart attack. We would often talk to him about the problems and try to help him improve, but he never changed. Eventually I just blocked him. The friend group had drifted apart by then anyway due to life.

The troll was my at the time partner's friend, who tri invited to play D&D with is. The troll and I were the only players while my partner ran the game. We tried playing with him twice. The first time he summoned a meteor to kill his character. The second time his character started killing guards. Apparently he didn't actually want to play but instead of saying so made the game miserable for us.

Another personal one form me recently are just aritst rpers in general or when they run an rp they get incredibly pissed at you if you don't always credit everything you ever show... miss credited once and I got thrown out of an rp just find those kind people intolerable some of the worst players iv delt with

This is sort of specific, but when I was younger and used a different site for rp, I rped in a big group as a fandom-related canon character. There was an oc in the group that was my character's (blood-related) child... despite me never agreeing to it, and despite me writing the character as a gay man, since he had a gay relationship in the original source material (which doesn't mean he can't be trans/bi/pan/have a non-cis partner, etc, but still. My interpretation was single, cis, and gay).

To be fair, this writer was in the group long before I was. It was more of an issue where the person who had originally played my character (and agreed to be their parent) left, then I joined afterwards, and the child character stuck around. Still a weird experience, though, especially when they would bring up my character's relationship with their mother. Definitely frustrating at the time, but now it's kinda silly to look back on. I guess that just comes with playing a canon character in group rp settings sometimes.

This is sort of specific, but when I was younger and used a different site for rp, I rped in a big group as a fandom-related canon character. There was an oc in the group that was my character's (blood-related) child... despite me never agreeing to it, and despite me writing the character as a gay man, since he had a gay relationship in the original source material (which doesn't mean he can't be trans/bi/pan/have a non-cis partner, etc, but still. My interpretation was single, cis, and gay).

To be fair, this writer was in the group long before I was. It was more of an issue where the person who had originally played my character (and agreed to be their parent) left, then I joined afterwards, and the child character stuck around. Still a weird experience, though, especially when they would bring up my character's relationship with their mother. Definitely frustrating at the time, but now it's kinda silly to look back on. I guess that just comes with playing a canon character in group rp settings sometimes.
Yeah canon can always be wierd :/

there was this one guy on this old zombie RP that I was on that had the absolute worst names for his characters - "Zyph Locce", "Felix Arias", and they were always edgy as fuck assault rifle-havers

talked to the player years later, he's cool though

oh, and on that same server there was a pair of incestuous lesbian sisters

there was this one guy on this old zombie RP that I was on that had the absolute worst names for his characters - "Zyph Locce", "Felix Arias", and they were always edgy as fuck assault rifle-havers

talked to the player years later, he's cool though

oh, and on that same server there was a pair of incestuous lesbian sisters
Excuse me WHAT

I've played with my fair share of horrible role players and characters. Those characters that are the worst are generally made by inflexible people who enjoy complaining a lot of stirring the pot. Hands down. Hands down!

I always do a heavy lurk on all people applying to my threads to see how they interact with people because; oh lordy. The amount of unproductive agitated souls you will accept if you don't do this will be many. The worst writers you will ever run into. So when I do my background check, I don't just check the role plays they have been in. I check oocs, I check other threads they have posted in to see if their rude, I am very mindful of the people I accept and the way they present themselves. I don't generally go by word count or literacy all the time.I find this really helps me avoid those nasty characters and players. I never want to be working with players where you're trying to manage their angst of no one wanting to interact with their characters (including you) or plots because of their attitude. Then again when you have to approach them about their writing. Every time. And eventually having to boot them for not getting along with other players. These are the worst characters.

I dunno, I see this as a pattern and just thought I'd share.

I haven't had a run-in with many bad characters since using this method.

Although, I have had my fair share of nightmares in the past oh gosh I'm not bringing back that PTSD XD

maxresdefault.jpg

You're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back