Experiences What are some RP ideas you've always wanted to try?

I still entertain the idea of slapping together a "Mad Max" inspired group RP. Not directly off the fandom. but basically, an analog of the setting. But I have my reservations about how successful it would even be, because pretty much every Mad Max movie is consisted of (at least) 50% car chases. I love it, and I'm a gearhead, myself. But I don't see a lot of other gearheads on the site, and "Mad Max" inspired would require (at least some basic, mechanical) car knowledge to rev my motor.

Last edited:
zombie apocalypse rp about zombies learning to be human again (think Warm Bodies but with far less romance)

Another setting I've had on a back burner is one in a Pseudo-historical, post-industrial (early 1900's) era. Where the PCs take on the role of a crew of explorers into unexplored jungle islands or the untamed/unmapped depths of a continent. They'd be after some relic or mythical city or ...something. Very "Indiana Jones". Or like the setting of the Kong, Skull Island (but w/out the big ape) or Jungle Cruise. I'm sure y'all are more than familiar with the trope. There have been plenty of other movies made in this vein. But I don't really see RPs like this... like, ever.

Another setting I've had on a back burner is one in a Pseudo-historical, post-industrial (early 1900's) era. Where the PCs take on the role of a crew of explorers into unexplored jungle islands or the untamed/unmapped depths of a continent. They'd be after some relic or mythical city or ...something. Very "Indiana Jones". Or like the setting of the Kong, Skull Island (but w/out the big ape) or Jungle Cruise. I'm sure y'all are more than familiar with the trope. There have been plenty of other movies made in this vein. But I don't really see RPs like this... like, ever.
I've been wanting to do something like this for ages myself, but it never works out. I'm actually shocked it's not more popular since it has a lot of fun story potential.

I've been wanting to do something like this for ages myself, but it never works out. I'm actually shocked it's not more popular since it has a lot of fun story potential.
It's just a hypothesis, but I feel like anything historical or historical based tends to attract from a smaller pool of RPers. I can only guess though, as I've only tried a few historical settings in my GM career. lol
Most of my stuff tends to be pretty fantastical

It's just a hypothesis, but I feel like anything historical or historical based tends to attract from a smaller pool of RPers. I can only guess though, as I've only tried a few historical settings in my GM career. lol
Most of my stuff tends to be pretty fantastical
Yea, that's probably it. Historical RPers tend to be labeled as homophobic and racist due to a minority of weirdos who are into the genre.

Some of my hyper specific settings
1. A space sci-fi about an intergalactic agency that works to stop apocalypses from destroying planets with intelligent life, "apocalypse/comedy" genre, wacky aliens, The Office antics

2. Deleted MMO/video game characters sitting in a jumbled memory space pondering their existence and impending deletion, surreal/glitchy landscape with fantasy MMO aesthetic, existential dread, philosophy

3. Highly experimental, but an RP about characters that made a final ultimate sacrifice in a their backstory and now is doomed to slowly lose their identity and causation affect on the world. The idea would be that every certain amount of time that goes by IC, all previous IC posts gets deleted and CSs are edited to become more and more barebones, eventually the characters would cease to exist.

4. A story that takes place entirely on some sort of transportation, like train or cruise ship

5. A post-apocaplytic RP where the
characters are physically immortal but emotionally vulnerable, and death comes in the form of succumbing to madness and despair which makes you lose control of your character/they lose control of themselves.

Basically people who romanticize a certain German regime, things like that. I think you know where I'm going with this...
ah, okies. Yeah... there are OTHER histories besides war in the early 1940's. IMO WWII era is hella overdone anyway

Some of my hyper specific settings
1. A space sci-fi about an intergalactic agency that works to stop apocalypses from destroying planets with intelligent life, "apocalypse/comedy" genre, wacky aliens, The Office antics

2. Deleted MMO/video game characters sitting in a jumbled memory space pondering their existence and impending deletion, surreal/glitchy landscape with fantasy MMO aesthetic, existential dread, philosophy

3. Highly experimental, but an RP about characters that made a final ultimate sacrifice in a their backstory and now is doomed to slowly lose their identity and causation affect on the world. The idea would be that every certain amount of time that goes by IC, all previous IC posts gets deleted and CSs are edited to become more and more barebones, eventually the characters would cease to exist.

4. A story that takes place entirely on some sort of transportation, like train or cruise ship

5. A post-apocaplytic RP where the
characters are physically immortal but emotionally vulnerable, and death comes in the form of succumbing to madness and despair which makes you lose control of your character/they lose control of themselves.
that last one sounds a bit like Don’t Starve

ah, okies. Yeah... there are OTHER histories besides war in the early 1940's. IMO WWII era is hella overdone anyway
Yea, I agree. I'm pretty burnt out on WW II era RP's myself. Unfortunately most of the other eras I want to explore are pretty niche even among historical RPers.

Yea, I agree. I'm pretty burnt out on WW II era RP's myself. Unfortunately most of the other eras I want to explore are pretty niche even among historical RPers.
me, personally
1910s-1920s Ireland would be bomb for an rp

honestly, I'm not very familiar with a whole buncha historical eras myself. Not enough to properly convey a setting or character without having to be doing a whole lotta research on the side, anyway. I'm generally familiar with uber popular ones. And thanks to my dad, I know some decent background for the American Wild West era. But I definitely don't consider myself a historical roleplayer.

What bugs me about early 1940's settings is that everyone wants to focus on the war, and not much else. I mean, I get it. It was a WORLD war. But that shit is SO tired in that year range.

What super niche eras are you interested in, anyway?

honestly, I'm not very familiar with a whole buncha historical eras myself. Not enough to properly convey a setting or character without having to be doing a whole lotta research on the side, anyway. I'm generally familiar with uber popular ones. And thanks to my dad, I know some decent background for the American Wild West era. But I definitely don't consider myself a historical roleplayer.

What bugs me about early 1940's settings is that everyone wants to focus on the war, and not much else. I mean, I get it. It was a WORLD war. But that shit is SO tired in that year range.

What super niche eras are you interested in, anyway?
I'm a massive history geek so most of my RP's are set in historical eras. I tend to stay away from the super popular settings now, though, such as Victorian England, WW II, and a few others. My main interests these days are on eastern civilizations, but since there's not as much knowledge about those in the west they get less attention in historical RP communities.

I'm a massive history geek so most of my RP's are set in historical eras. I tend to stay away from the super popular settings now, though, such as Victorian England, WW II, and a few others. My main interests these days are on eastern civilizations, but since there's not as much knowledge about those in the west they get less attention in historical RP communities.
yeah.. ngl aside from the classic feudal Japanese setting with samurai and daimyos and the shogunate, I dont really know anything about eastern historical stuff (and that's not to say that I even know that much about it, either).

yeah.. ngl aside from the classic feudal Japanese setting with samurai and daimyos and the shogunate, I dont really know anything about eastern historical stuff (and that's not to say that I even know that much about it, either).
Yea, most people don't, which makes these RP's difficult.

In the year 1593 there was a great cataclysm that forever changed the world. As the sun vanished over the horizon on a particularly hot summer night, a hesitant unease settled across the battle worn country of Korea. A Japanese armada, 90,000 strong marching towards Jinju stopped in it's tracks, pausing with the rest of the Earth as the stars and the moon faded into pitch blackness before their very eyes for several minutes there was nothing. Until the sky slowly returned, brighter than ever before, illuminating the horrific expressions of all those witnessing this terrifying event. The moon, the stars, and the entire milky-way could only be described as drenched in blood.

The celestial objects now bathed in a vivid scarlet red, outlined by an unsettling pulsating darkness, replacing what only moments ago had been harmless soft twinkling specks of light.

Suddenly a great unknown force pushed the militants to the ground, as if gravity itself was attempting to crush them under their armor. Buildings from nearby villages could be heard collapsing; sounds of their destruction echoing through the night, likely caused by the same physics defying effect.

And then.

Snap.

Three days and nights passed before the sun rose again. The entire world was shaken, waiting for it all to end, but nothing came of the following weeks after the "The Eternal Night of Blood".

Japan quickly withdrew from Korea after a sudden loss of nearly a hundred thousand soldiers who vanished without a trace, ending the invasion conflict all together. Accusing the enemy of witchcraft and declaring Korean land to be cursed.

While city of Jinju itself was left untouched, many smaller villages in the province were seemingly wiped from existence, leaving only a very shallow but massively wide crater that stretched across what used to be fields and marshland. The roots of trees were found visible in the dirt, completely flat and level with rest of the large plain, as if a cleaver head sheared through the dirt removing everything above the surface.

Water had begun to pour into the new basin, becoming a new wetland, perfectly suitable for farming rice and other crops. Drawing in poor common folk from across Korea, erecting new villages in the area in order to cultivate it, despite many whispers of connection to the great cataclysm.

Six years later, three children were digging through the mud of the 'fertile basin', searching for a rumored treasure left behind by demons during their supposed rampage during The Eternal Night of Blood. It was a harmless activity, a silly game... The kids were about to head home as their parents called them to dinner... Until a deep red glow caught their eye from beneath the muddy water.

And the cycle of evil began.

Outside the city of Seoul is a massive private residence, owned by the Tamgu Corporation where the mysterious department directors live in private. Each of them a leader in their own right within their jurisdictions; The Department of Pharmaceuticals, Department of Space and technology, and the Department of Law.

Despite their clean records and numerous failed raids of their facilities called on by competition, the Tamgu Corporation is indeed corrupt. Incredibly so; rotten from the inside. The three company leaders are truly beings of pure evil, having long been overtaken by the power of artifacts currently bound to them

They're planning something big, something that's been in the works for over four hundred years. However, the next cycle has already begun, meaning three new new vessels of evil are to be chosen and taken in as apprentices

Last edited:
A plot akin to the Kingdom Keepers books but instead of Disney it's teenagers at Universal Studios having to face down villains like Megatron and the Sinister Six. I have a lot of it fleshed out I would just need other people and their ideas to really push the plot.

Something in the Star Wars universe. It has so much potential. I know these RP's do exist, but I'm adding it here as I'm hesitant to ever participate. I just feel like I'm not nearly familiar enough with the lore to do the universe justice.

Crime family that focuses on actual family life. It would be nice to have a balance of action and slice of life instead of just shoot outs and violence galore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back