• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Welcome to the Neighborhood | OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Hey, guys! Sorry I've been so quiet- I've been a lot busier than I expected. In that vein, I'm doing something I should have considered a while ago- Looking for a co-gm!

As I've said before (I hope), this is a fairly laid back rp, so I'd be looking for very little from a co-gm.

Duties would include:
-Helping generate ideas
-Helping keep track of what's going on because I have been being an awful gm to be honest
-Helping keep everyone motivated and excited to rp!
-Hopefully helping make this a more comfortable space with me. I feel like we're in an awkward state right now and I really want to encourage engagement

I want this to be a big group effort, and I know we've been kind of quiet, which is my fault- as a gm I should be more engaging and more engaged. If anyone's interested, feel free to pm me or comment here!

I could step up, if no one else wants to co-GM.

In any case, I think we hope to see the Hintons arrive at the party!
Oh alright! If you want the position, honestly it's yours. You have been so helpful already, from offering us a starting point to writing the starter, to even earlier when you reminded me that I was accidentally neglecting this rp.

I hope to see them arrive soon, but I feel I need to be upfront.

When everyone started posting, I kept saying I would read along and see what was happening, and then I didn't, and now I am very overwhelmed by how much has happened- which is in no way anyone else's fault, and I know it isn't really that much, but it's blocking me mentally.

I feel I need to read everything before I write, but at the same time I see how much has been written and panic, and then someone posts (which is excellent, by the way- I'm thinking about tagging those who haven't posted yet and telling them we started, as I noticed I never did that) and now there's even more I have to read- It's a vicious cycle.

I think summing up what has occurred might be a good idea- I might actually make a lore thread or something to keep a summary on so this doesn't happen in the future, either for myself or others.

Again, I apologize for how unprofessional I have been- I will be honest, I took up this project on a whim, and didn't properly assess how much time it would take.

is this rp still accepting?
I'll have to get back to you on that! I only wanted a certain amount of families, and though I am under no illusions that we've probably lost people, I'd really like to take a count before opening spots again.

mikaluvkitties mikaluvkitties Thanks, I just liked the idea of the RP and hoped it would get off the ground. Thankfully it has!

So far it's just been the newer families--the Calists and then Cameron and Caleb--arriving to kick the party off. There isn't really anything to catch up on, at least no significant developments, just some introductions.

EDIT: A lore thread sounds great!

On that subject, I can do a bit of "worldbuilding" for parts of the city, and even some attractions/areas outside of it, if you like? In fact I've been slowly working on a city project in the game Cities: Skylines for a few months, which has some East Coast/Southern US vibes. I could use it as inspiration so I don't have to spend extra time and effort coming up with completely new ideas. The goal would be to lay out other areas outside of the neighborhood, since our characters will be venturing outside the immediate vicinity for work, school, or whatever else inevitably. One prominent idea I had was for a state park at a lake outside the city, which would allow for some summer camping fun...and maybe shenanigans.

Last edited:
I'm still here, I guess.
That's great! I'm excited to see you enter the rp- If you're having problems getting your footing, make sure to say something :)

On that subject, I can do a bit of "worldbuilding" for parts of the city, and even some attractions/areas outside of it, if you like? In fact I've been slowly working on a city project in the game Cities: Skylines for a few months, which has some East Coast/Southern US vibes. I could use it as inspiration so I don't have to spend extra time and effort coming up with completely new ideas. The goal would be to lay out other areas outside of the neighborhood, since our characters will be venturing outside the immediate vicinity for work, school, or whatever else inevitably. One prominent idea I had was for a state park at a lake outside the city, which would allow for some summer camping fun...and maybe shenanigans.
Oh that would be lovely! If that's something you're interested in, honestly, go for it! I'm excited to see what you come up with, especially considering how cool the state park idea is :D

Okay I figured you would want to make the Lore thread yourself, but in the meantime I'll write about the areas here and copy them over later. I'll try to get a post up in the IC as well!

[Work in Progress]

The City of Waterton - Interesting Districts

Firstly, geographically, Waterton is located along the banks of Bull Creek and the North Hannah River, which intersect. Bull Creek runs roughly north-south, while the Hannah runs roughly east-west. The interstate runs north-south through the center of the city, while there are some main east-west highways running into and out of the city from the east/west directions.

Waterton doesn't have the largest downtown, but it contains several tall towers, a hospital, state and local offices, some hotels, etc. It's located on the east-southeast side of where Bull Creek bends into the North Hannah; on the west side of the interstate. One of it's attractive features is the pedestrian-only promenade along the south bank of the North Hannah, which runs underneath the interstate and connects to the Market Square district. Along the promenade there are luxury shopping venues, acclaimed coffee and bakery joints, and other restaurants. It is a popular area for Waterton's uptowners working in either downtown or Market Square, or anyone else wanting to check it out.

Market Square is located on the east side of the interstate, neighboring Downtown which is on the west side. It is a business, commerce, and financial hub of the city, with plenty of office buildings. It has fewer and typically smaller office towers compared to Downtown. There is an actual Market Square at the heart of the district, near Waterton's main train station on the north-south line. There isn't a ton of living space here, but what there is, is pricey. The Waterton Business College is located in this part of town, and does have a little space reserved as dorms nearby. Besides offices, there are some restaurants, coffee shops, hotels, and a few other stores mainly geared towards officeworker lunch hour, business trippers, or other travelers. The Market Square portion of the pedestrian promenade does have some acclaimed restaurants.

In the south city, on the east bank of Bull Creek itself, the Bull Creek district is sometimes jokingly referred to as Waterton's "other Old Town." Although it is full of history and atmosphere just like Old Town, it's quite a bit different than the charming Old Town. Bull Creek was a hotbed of illicit activity during Prohibition, when it was a neighboring yet separate town from the growing Waterton. After a series of violent street battles between mobsters and law enforcement broke out for almost a week at one point, Bull Creek's independence was terminated, and it was placed under Waterton's authority. Not long after, during the 30s-40s, a unique style of blues could be heard in the city's clubs, bars, and front porches. First called "front porch blues due to its popularity amongst predominantly African-American front porch and street musicians in the area, it came to be known as "Bull Creek Blues." It encapsulated the area's rough-around-the-edges aura. During the 1960s-70s, the rebellious/counter-cultural youth and civil rights-minded Waterton University students, and even rural folks from outside Waterton latched onto the style and introduced elements of rock and country blues. Bull Creek has a number of blues clubs, BBQ joints, bars, streets--and yes, front porches that still play old style or newer style Bull Creek Blues. Heavy revitalization efforts have largely been successful in improving the area in the past few decades.

Old Town is located to the east of Market Square, across the north-south running railroad tracks. It is of course an older part of the city that preserves a charming "Main Street America" personality. It has tree-lined streets with lights strung in them, which are turned on at night; decorations during various holidays are common. Old Town has several prominent buildings and features--like St. Bridget's Pub, with its vintage Guinness mural advertisement on the outside wall featuring the classic Guinness toucan saying "lovely day for a Guinness," the Courthouse (museum now) and Courthouse Park, old bank (still functioning), and Riverview Theater. Shops include craft stores, antique shops, tasting rooms, art galleries, diners, delis, and so forth.

Regional Points of Interest and other towns

This large building crowns Manley Hill to the east of the city (roughly southeast of Old Town, and east of the airport, which itself is south of Old Town). It houses a large collection of US and foreign militaria ranging from the Revolutionary War to WWII and beyond, and an educational theater plus special exhibit spaces. Additionally it has a vast library of unclaimed soldiers' personal effects like letters, journals, bibles, etc. The Library's genealogical services work to reunite these with family members. Currently the Library is debuting its own dramatized documentary titled "Her War: Waterton's Wartime Women," with an accompanying special exhibit.

Although a good ways northwest of town, Lost Indian Lake is a popular destination for outdoor activities. Several campgrounds ring the lake. There are a few marinas/boat launches where kayaks, canoes, and boats are available for renting or storing too. A popular route to take from the city is along the aptly Woodbridge Highway off the interstate, going through the town of Grove Junction, and crossing a series of covered wooden bridges.

west of the city, there are some heights, named for the nearby town of Charleville (towards the northwest of the heights), that served as the focal point of a Civil War battle in 1864. Visitors can explore the well-preserved and restored trenches that were used by the defenders, walk interpretive trails, and check out the visitor center,

to the northwest of Waterton, the small town of LeMoreau sits in the North Hannah River’s swampy region. LeMoreau has a French colonial-colored history, when French settlers and French-Americans set up shop in the region way back. It’s main attraction is the main drag, Lafayette Street, which features many French, Cajun, and Creole shops and cafes

Last edited:
So I went silent again. I'm sorry about that- I should be better soon. Just got some stuff going on rn. I notice we've ground to a halt, so I'm going to drop some tags once I get my first post up- Which will probably be some time around Sunday (I should be feeling less awful by then- I'm really sorry things have been so slow so far). If anyone wants to message me before then, either here or in PMs, feel free to do so! I am always open.

Since I hogged the laptop (not at home rn) last week, my brother has gone out of his way to hog the laptop this week. I probably won't have the time to sit down and write until Friday (because that's when the Island Living expansion for Sims 4 comes out.), so ouch.

FoolsErin FoolsErin No problem! I've been taking a long time to get a post up, too, so I'm definitely not going to hold it over you- Especially when you've also got your brother conspiring against you lol.

Expansions coming out is always exciting, even if I haven't been keeping up with them. I hope it's a good one and you have lots of fun with it :DDDD

Ughh, kinda off topic but today Sims 4 had an update to prep the game for Island Living’s release, and you can see the icon on the main menu and the world in the worlds menu but the expansion isn’t actually out yet. Not sure if it’s just because I pre-ordered it, but either way IT IS TEASING ME. FRIDAY IS TOO FAR AWAY. D:

Honestly, probably. I'm really sorry about that- I wasn't really in a place to GM and I should have recognized that.

Is there something I can make character do to bring back attention? I've got two characters that are not at the party if there's something they could do to spike the energy.

Honestly, probably. I'm really sorry about that- I wasn't really in a place to GM and I should have recognized that.

Don't blame yourself! I bet if I had gotten off my lazy rear and actually posted, we might be actually roleplaying right now.

I have been there before, not being quite ready to GM, so I understand.

FoolsErin FoolsErin would you be able to make a post, by chance? No pressure, but the party is pretty open so anyone in the neighborhood could come in whenever.

okokapi okokapi if you can’t keep going with the characters at the party (I get any potential writers block), then maybe the others could get curious and come by to the party? I don’t know, just an idea.

If nothing else, maybe we could reboot the idea. Post a new interest check, see who’s still interested, and in the meantime we might plan/coordinate things more. For instance what the families/characters know about each other already (if not a new family) so we can largely jump straight into action without having the risky grindy introduction phase of an RP.

FoolsErin FoolsErin Thank you! I'm positive it wasn't just your fault, though- I definitely contributed

Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf And that is such a good idea. I meant to do something like that the first time around but again, I was not in a place to gm. I'm down to reboot if necessary, though I would like to bring whoever is willing to help GM on or even possibly let someone take over GMing if they wanted to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back