• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Welcome to beautiful An Teng. RECRUITMENT CLOSED [Wuxialted hack]

Shining Lotus Sage

It Is the Tide

On the east wall hangs a scythe. Its blade is red with probably-rust, and the grips have fallen out of the snath as the wood rots and withers. The scent of pig shit has faded almost entirely, but the breeze that followed you in through the doors of the old barn is stirring up the first hints of something far worse. Ki-lan said the arsonist had fled into the barn and never emerged. Now that you're here, you understand why she and her guards had waited outside. Even before your eyes adjust, while the heap of bone-white in the corner is just indistinct mass and color, you can tell that this place is unclean.

"Mother's piss," hisses a young man as he stumbles. The layers of leather and pewter hanging too loose for him serves mostly to add weight and catch on roots. There hasn't been a real threat for it to save him from since he first put it on, but metal armor makes him an official soldier. Since the real ones all pulled up stakes one night and vanished over the mountain pass, the symbol of authority is as important for keeping order as the ability to use it. That's the idea, anyway. The scout who pulls him out of the mud this time might have a different impression.

A dozen stocky foreigners sit hunched around a camp stove, trying to wring enough heat for beans out of soggy mangrove planks. They could have used a few of the inland trees, but haggling with locals over which ones have spiritual significance never goes well. Better to take scrap along, says the quartermaster. The porters scratching at embers probably wouldn't agree, but they're not paid to have opinions, as the caravan's complement of fairy-eaten labor serves to remind them.

It Is the Tide is a story about making do. About the suffering that can't be escaped, because the world is flawed and broken. About the necessary sacrifices between now and tomorrow. It's also about the things that creep out of the broken parts of the world to make wholly unnecessary sacrifices, and what you want to do about that.

You can be a hero, if you find the strength. The world certainly has room and need. But if it were easy, there would be more of a crowd. People do what they have to, and the Night Mother grows fat and powerful on their sacrifices. Especially the unnecessary ones.

This will be a forum-based game using large swathes of Exalted's setting. Familiarity will help, in so much as you will be able to make a lot of assumptions about the world. It will use almost all of the mechanics from Legends of the Wulin, to really capture the kind of cinematic action and passion-centric drama I like to work in. Familiarity will mostly help me, here, but I'll teach the system to anyone who's interested. It tends to the crunchy, but the numbers are just abstractions to help establish narrative power.

I'm looking for 4-5 players. Up to 2 tricksy shape-shifters, if you like. The remainder will be glorious, demented, hideous, or macabre, but uniformly Excellent. Pray that mere excellence is enough.

(Trigger warnings all over this motherfucker. I'll be enforcing fade-to-black standards for both sexual and violent content as the site and social norms demand, but I have a lot more leeway with dead bodies than I do with the living. When the curtain comes back up, the evidence might be ugly.)

Paging Drs. @Grey and @Random Word

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... Honestly, it sounds like a great setting for a thousand gears practitioner to fall into. Doubly so with my soulsteel diplomacy spike.

Thousand Gears would be a good Ranged/Saber style, emphasis on damage and disrupt marvels. I'll be happy to help you model it in the LotW mechanics.

Clarity is easily modeled by Metal chi deviations, too.

The core tension of Autocthonia, about scarcity, abnegation, and falling into nihilism, is spot-on.

Being a literal cyborg from another dimension where the tech level is cyberpunk will not fit. Sound good?

[QUOTE="Shining Lotus Sage]Thousand Gears would be a good Ranged/Saber style, emphasis on damage and disrupt marvels. I'll be happy to help you model it in the LotW mechanics.
Clarity is easily modeled by Metal chi deviations, too.

The core tension of Autocthonia, about scarcity, abnegation, and falling into nihilism, is spot-on.

Being a literal cyborg from another dimension where the tech level is cyberpunk will not fit. Sound good?

[/QUOTE]
Oh, I realize there would have to be some adaptation. I would just expect to be from another land, or perhaps a bubble kingdom on the verge of resource starvation... then again, a monastic order of technophiles who encourage and weaponize metal chi deviations is also a fun interpretation.

While I admit I'm not familiar with the Legends of the Wulin rules, I am familiar with many RPG systems, and shouldn't have a problem picking things up quickly.

@vinom -

Yeah, there are a lot of ways that could be done. The kind of groups who would cultivate metal deviations will tend to be actual DBs, mildly unorthodox Immaculate groupies, and cults to a rogue elemental. If you want to play with soulsteel imagery a bunch, you're probably looking at an "Abyssal" who came from that background. I'm not holding anyone to the political complications and origin story that usually means (think Burn Legend, if it helps), so you have more than usual freedom to decide why everyone you touch starts bleeding, or whatever.

Honestly... I was thinking something a bit more... Are you familiar with the Homebrew work Masters of the Industrial Elements?

vinom said:
Honestly... I was thinking something a bit more... Are you familiar with the Homebrew work Masters of the Industrial Elements?
I am now.

An Teng has a bunch of satellite splinter states that it refuses to allocate any effort toward reannexing. In practice, they serve as sort of a Viet Cong, harrying the occupying force the way the satrapy would like to but can't get away with. Redirect the Taken's hatred towards the Realm, and they work beautifully as one of those. You can even keep the cargo-cult technophilia, in the form of discovered caches of First Age wonders. LotW has a tiering of elemental-vs-enlightened chi that is pretty similar to Exalted's, but not nearly as extreme, so if you wanted to play something lower-powered than the Solarids/Lunars/TAW story I was planning on, the largest hindrance will be you're more vulnerable to running out of juice. It can be made to work.

The elements themselves are much more tied into the world's construction, in LotW, however. I would have to build a whole lot of new material that categorically would not mesh with the rest of the game to inport the specific Autobotical elements. But if you're comfortable picking one for flavor and calling it a deviant manifestation of fire, wood, water, metal, or earth, you can keep the visuals intact. And really, rebels against the terrestrial subjugators who still have to use stolen elemental power likely would prize atypical forms of it.

Hmm... I'm not opposed to being weaker in a lot of regard to my compatriots, if there are areas I could out shine them in. Mostly I was thinking some mix between Shard's Modern Alchemicals and the Masters of the Industrial Elements. That I am a regular two souled human without terrestrial blood, but cheat my way into the high tiers of DB potency through a combination of elemental hijacking and magitech implantation.

"I had a powerful spirit jailed and broken and implanted on one of my chakras for the power to fight back against the Oppressors. I risked everything for vengeance. Everything."

...is a fantastic exaltation story, btw.

[QUOTE="Shining Lotus Sage]"I had a powerful spirit jailed and broken and implanted on one of my chakras for the power to fight back against the Oppressors. I risked everything for vengeance. Everything."
...is a fantastic exaltation story, btw.

[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I figured if we're making characters for a game where kill bill style blood spray is on the table, the character's don't have to start out in the realm of emotional health.

Re: magitech implants -

LotW isn't normally method-agnostic the way M&M or Hero System are, but it's easy to reskin. Do you have a tesla gun in your arm? Call it a shock effect you spend chi on from your internal kung fu style. There's an existing lightning style. Earth element, because it combines yin and yang equally.

If you have a loudspeaker in your throat that lets you embed magical subharmonics to be more persuasive, also probably just flavor on normal Secret Art of Inspiration mechanics. Don't get so carried away that you become a tone screw, all I ask.

If you want artifacts that add a number to another number to get bigger numbers, it has to be something only situationally usable. If they give new abilities, it's a Loresheet item, which is basically a set of Backgrounds but with more background.

@Random Word, could you please link the article you found last time? I think it was useful.

vinom said:
cheat my way into the high tiers of DB potency
Got it. DB rules except you get Celestial mote growth, which is faster, instead of the free internal style. These are part of my rules hack, so I'll save really clarifying until after everyone is mostly up to speed on base LotW, but I want to make sure I note this now.

Gotcha. I realize if I go over board with the magitech I become out of place in the setting flavor.

I will mostly be focusing on surgically 'donned' armor, weapons, and descriptions that show the basic function is chi amplification and refinement, not say, using a swarm of clockwork spiders to heal any wound.

Course I need to think about what might drive someone to let all this be done to them. Personal right in the feels hurt in away that doesn't just fade over time.

I'll want a little while to ponder, but I may go with an Abyssal of some flavour. Still making up my mind on the more important details, but some kind of deranged philosopher-monk appeals as a concept.

We are going dark, though the setting rather screamed for it. I was thinking dancer turned masked terrorist-thaumaturge to cover and avenge her now broken face assists in a failed attempt to blow up a Dynast fete in Steel Lotus. She falls Abyssal as a very dark anti-hero bent on slaughtering every Terrestrial in An-Teng and setting the country free. She could always fall Infernal instead to keep things diverse.

Man. This *is* dark. Okay, you kids. One or two more, assuming all of you finish some solid concepts.

So vinom is looking like a metal-encrusted techno-barbarian warrior from the hinterlands. Needs a full intro to wu lin.

Random Word sounds like either a doctor or priest, depending on the type of thaumaturgy, and even more local. Definitely going to require some loresheets prepped for local factions and mysteries.

Grey... I'll bet my own spit the K6BD idea goes scholar. Nothing from me yet until I get some questions or details on the concept.

Sound right?

Priest is probably the best complement to Necromancy. What power level are we operating at? Recently Exalted? Shadowlands tier power?

I could also do something much lighter in tone, maybe a Sidereal if they're in. Might suggest two concepts and let you pick which fits the story best.

Last edited by a moderator:
In brief, because I'm pressed for time:

That last idea will be ideal, I think. I don't want to fuss with porting Sidereals and trying to balance their innate power against the solarid and lunar excellency, but I know a great story could wring another hour of statistics out of me.

Priest has the cheapest access to the most visibly supernatural effects, outside of combat.

We're starting at Essence 2, which is Rank 4. I explained most of the homebrew last time, and I'll be posting it again later this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back