• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Weaving the Winds

Eeeexcellent. Thanks for the clarification. I'm assuming, also, that even in the areas where the One Faith is prevalent, the old religion sticks around in fables, folktales, superstitions, and the like, same as how Christianity was never quite able to totally stamp out pagan customs. I've read through your Lore page in more detail, and can I just say that I absolutely love how much thought you've put into this? It's giving me so many ideas!

Also is it okay if I sort of create a breed of large dog that was developed in my character's hometown, supposedly for the purpose of fighting trolls but that's probably only a legend? And generally go a little bit overboard with developing a history and culture for the place? I'll change anything you ask me to, but I'm also afraid of my CS turning into a novel, which is what always happens, but it's not my fault I swear it's just that expansive fantasy realms are to me as beaches are to small children with sandcastle equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternate Claes personality:
crying-baby.jpg

Sorry for being so afk lately! I will soon get back to everyone about their characters! :)

There! All of you have now recieved PM's that state weather your character is accepted or not. I have given all of you some feedback and count on you to heed it ^^ Thanks for signing up! This is going to be great! Make sure to request illustrations if you want them made of your characters!

We will soon begin!

AT LONG LAST IT IS COMPLETE. It took kind of forever mostly because finals are eeeeeeevil and calculus is the worst. Subject. Ever.

Well, I mean, I do like calculus, I just hate calculus tests.

Hey, @Wavebird! Im new, so I can't PM you yet, but I'd like to join. I'd also like to run a few thing by you before joining. That being said... could you PM me?

First post is up, and we can start the prologue-adventure! You guys decide if you're on the farm already or not, but I suggest you get your characters there in the first couple of posts. The idea is that all characters are supposed to meet by the well and decide what to do, like.

Have fun! :)

In the lore section, elves are described as frail. So would that mean that elves and half-elves don't have significant physical advantages than men? I'm under the impression that elves in this world are not the wood-elf/high-elf superior race.

@Cannibal

You are correct. Elves are small and weak. They sure are not modern elves as those in Tolkien's and later fantasy. Check nordic folklore for elves, huldra, vittra and such to get an idea of where I got my inspiration.

AlexNos said:
Finn has been edited...
And is now accepted. By that I close all Sign-ups for now. Play nice everybody!

@AlexNos

I also wish that you look over your characters weapons now that you're in. The bow is unnessecairly crazy and strange :) And remember that gold doesn't make for a good material for weapons as it is very soft (but a whole blade of gold, fancy stuff), so I will hold you to that.

And all of you remember, this not high fantasy!

Can I please ask everyone to wait with further posts till I get home? (2hours). Need to clear things up before we go on.

Alright here I am! I've been travelling from one side of the country to the other and half way back today, so I'm sort of tired.

Anyway, I would like to start out by thanking both @kira blackthorn and @AlexNos for posting their wonderfully written posts :)

That being said, I must however stress that we're not playing in a high fantasy world! We're actually playing in a low-fantasy setting with an aim at realism. That means that people can't jump from tree to tree as a way of transportation (Because only monkeys an Ninjas in tacky animés can do that). And neither can birds or animals have proper conversations with eachother and much less human strangers, nor do they automatically like or even tolerate them, even if they're omega-rangers-of-doom.

What I guess I am trying to say is that you guys, despite writing great posts with great ideas on their own, are getting way out of line with a thing or two. I understand that this might be my fault for being unclear in the description of this RP, and I therefore take full blame. But as I have been working hard on putting this together, I would hate it if the feeling I'm looking for is ruined by overpowered characters that are more extraordinary than anything else in the game world. This game is not about being powerful, impressive or extraordinary, it's about facing other things that are! Our characters can not be revered heroes from start, right? That takes a life-time to achive!

I therefore humbly ask all of you to read the overview again, have a glance at the Lore tab and edit your characters and posts where you think you might've crossed the line. I would hate to already have to close the doors on this roleplay.

This is a fairytale/folklore based fantasy, meaning that realism isn't always key, but believability is! It must be probable, it must be down to earth. Dirty, dark and human with a touch of magic.

Questions? Feel free to ask them right away! If not, feel free to start posting again.

Also, don't hate me for this.

Thank you for understanding.

@Ire @Irubus @Cannibal @The One Called X @Killigrew

I only made Finn's conversation as detailed and intelligent as I did so that it'd be easier to understand. (I also don't like writing in broken sentences.)

They obviously weren't intelligent enough to say all that and they only recognized him in such a way because he had been through there more than a few times and was known to the animals there. That's all.

I mean, if he goes to the deep south and wanders about in those woods, he wouldn't expect friendly greetings. Quite the opposite, in fact.

@AlexNos

I'd think it's more attune to how the interaction was. I'm not entirely certain how relative the concept is of speaking to animals is but it's probably due to how they speak to him. "You run with the speed and stamina of mine ancestors, Ranger." as an example. I'd be more attuned to thinking that a wolf could care less for a human figures who would rather hunt and kill him. Even if he is a Ranger, a wolf has no reason to be kind to him and even less get along or care for a bird. I'd be fine with having them just snarl and tweet you to a certain location as a means of communication since you'd be knowledgeable that they are trying to lead you somewhere.

Though that's just me speaking.

> v>

<v <

We could use more gurls amirite

EDIT: I was under the impression that animals weren't exactly kind to humans in their territory.. :P

Animals in this world are just like animals would be in the real world. Simple as that. If it was much different I'd say so. In short, just limit this ability from nwo on, like, your character may understand animals and their feelings, but may not command them or converse with them. Animals don't think abstract, they can't be precise and really can not tell anyone anything that is beyond their cognitive abilities. How the interaction is written is entirely up to you Alex, but remember to make it a bit more realistic.

And well, we have two female characters as is, sure it's unbalanced, but we're enough players as is.

From what I know of Rangers (and I'd like to think Im quite knowledgeable on the subject) if they have been through a territory many times and given respect where it is due, the animals of that territory would develop a since of familiarity and sometimes even a semblance of friendship with the Ranger. In nature, they are known to keep the peace and sometimes even settle disputes among animals, if the need arises.

But I obviously don't know much. It's not like I've been roleplaying for twelve years or anything, starting with Dungeons and Dragons and LotR Epic Roleplaying, then moving on to text-based roleplaying.

But, hey, whatever. If you want it to be different from now on, it'll be different. You're the Creator.

I think it's more a matter of being in this particular world and abiding by its rules, Alex. Whatever those other worlds were constrained to, and whatever rules they had, it is irrelevant to the world in this RP.

And in a discussion about D&D or LotR Epic you'd be absolutely right! But this is not a high fantasy setting, nor is it based on modern fantaasy works. Some inspiration from LotR, sure, but this is aiming to be far more old-school and back to the roots than that :) People in this setting are almost ordinary people, aside from the things mentioned in the Lore Tab. I don't mean that you can't make up new things, but it must rhyme well with the setting in order to work. In this world, a ranger is a guy who watches the forest and hunts animals, no special abilities included. Like a medieval ranger or forest watcher would.

What Killigrew said.

And yeah, I thought that talking animals seemed pretty out of place in this setting from the beginning. I intended for my character to have something of a gift with them, but it's more in the sense that they're less fearful/aggressive toward her than others and she's good at understanding their natural behavior. Personally, I'm kind of relishing the low-fantasy setting. ^_^ also my phone thinks that low-fantasy should be "low-fat asynchronous" which should be the name of a thing somehow.

Anyways... as I said, it'll be different from now on. Im a bit lazy to edit that intro post, but if you REALLY want me to edit it, I will.

(I was apprehensive taking it that far, but I was also trying to set Finn into the story more than anything.)

No need to edit it, just try to get in line with the setting from now on :) It's not the end of the world. Also, I want to stress that this is not a case of making anyone be right or wrong, all we're doing here is making sure we're all on the same page. I would be happy to provide links to things that inspired me when I wrote this, would it help.

After all, it's no wonder the you players get the wrong idea of things. I mean, I made this all up so I know the details I never provided, I grew up in Sweden and therefore have a certain idea of things from nordic folklore and other stuff that we base the setting on, while someone with another background might apply their knowledge on the subject and end up with a different idea of things than I intended.

Keep questions coming though, this is the prologue adventure and it is here to make things right from when the real thing starts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back