• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Weaving the Winds

Waverly

Nah...
Out of Character Chat

Please post any
Out of Character content here! Any Out of Character content in other tabs will be deleted, or moved. Thanks in advance.

So, I was considering making a female character, but I'm not sure on societal norms in each of the geographic areas. Could you give me a basic overview on how gender functions in all these societies?

Also, do they have a warrior ethic? Rulers, values, how do they all factor into how people feel about such things?

Do the castle rulers often fight? Is it tribal? Do they meet once every week at an Althing like in Njal's saga? I'll assume geographical location no doubt factors in for all of these things.

Or is it all up to our interpretation? x)

Coming right up with an answer! Sec.

Good questions all of them! I most certainly will have to add something about all this in the Lore tab! But I'll do my best to provide answers here and now as well!

Gender in Rotsheimgaard

Both men and women have been important throughout the history of Rotsheimgaard. There are no lack of either male or female heroes in the song and tales of old. And in religion both male and female deities are known and worshipped. That being said, there are still some major differences in terms of viewing men and women in Rotsheimgaard. For example, it is tradition that women tend to the home-keeping, child care and really indoor chores, all the while men are tasked with the outdoor chores. In all parts of Rotsheimgaard, trolls are spoken about as a male beings, while the go to genus for elves is female, this says something about what attributes are considered male or female even among humans. The role of men and women vary slightly depending on where in the world you are:

Lapunia – In Lapunia people make little difference between men and women in terms of responsibilities and expectations. Everyone will contribute the best they can to the tribe or farm, making this a most gender-equal society.

Midhalpad – In Midhalpad (and anywhere south of it) women are considered to be under authority of their father or husband, while men are regarded free from birth. This makes women a tool for trade, through marriages and so on. Midhalpadian women carry arms just as men, but are never sent to war. Instead, they act as defenders of their own homes. Men and women are just as often sent to the leets (things) and are both therefore a part of the political scene in Midhalpad.

Sverjia and Danr – The southern part of Rotsheimgaard is clearly the least equal one. Women are almost systematically kept away from the business of men, which includes war, economy and politics. However, there are no actual rules or laws that stops women from this, but they are marginalised thanks to how the society works. In short, men are supposed to be brave knights or hard-working fathers who bring in the coin, while women are supposed to be pretty maidens or caring mothers.

Remember however, that everything stated above is merely the stereotypes, there are tonnes and tonnes of variations and exceptions! So don't let it hold you back when making your character!

How things are ruled

In short, Lapunia lacks any real rule. Most people live in tribes or on farms that are self-governing. There are however traditional borders that state where tribes may or may not move their herd of reindeer. These are however seldom put in writing or on maps, but are rather old mutual agreements made by tribes long ago.

Midhalpad have a set of laws that are kept in the town of Silangir. All Midhalpadians (and Lapunians, according to the Midhalpadian rulers) stands before these laws, no matter what region he or she lives in. Midhalpadians go to regular meetings called leets (or things) to settle business and politics. There are three froms of leets; Heimthing, Landsthing, and Allthing. Heimthings being the most local version, where patrons from each farm in a small area meet up about once a month. Landsthing are the middle version, where a representatives from each Heimthing is sent. Landsthings are only held once or twice per year, and is considered very important business. Lastly, the Allthing is the most important leet where several representatives from each Landsthings meet in order to discuss business that concerns the entire realm. These are held every other year, but may be held when needed, for example in times of war.

Sverjia and Danr, again, share similar systems! In short terms, they have feudal systems. Each and every realm in Sverija, as well as each major island in Danr have a regent. The difference is that the Danr regents all answers under the Danr Church of the One Faith, which is not the case in Sverjia, where the church sort of is controlled by the reagents.

I hope that clears some things up (I got dizzy writing about all the things, so you may have to read it twice to really get it)! Anyway, I'll go ahead and spoil as much as we'll be starting in days when people are being summoned to an Midhalpadian Allthing! @Killigrew

As for if the castle-rulers fight in wars or not, well... I think that varies :P A ruler who want his or her men to have good morale probably leads in battle, while others just cover in their castles at times of conflict :)

Updated the Lore Tab. There are some differences from what is said in my post (above) but nothing major.

Great! Thanks :)

To clarify my warlords question, what manner of warfare and conflict is there within the territories and how prominent a labor is it?

Like the northernmost territory sounds similar to Njal's Saga icelandics, so do they viking the southern fertile areas and rob monasteries? And for the knightly territory above the islands, do they raid each other's castles, have jousts, and are united only by faith, restrained by chivalry? Do the southernmost islands send up armies for crusades and missionaries?

Also the religion. You said it was similar to medieval Christianity. Does it follow the same tenets of an old faith being rebuilt? And is there a Christ figure? Baptism?

Oh yeah! And is there any culture/tribe like the welsh or celts with bards as educated and valued travellers and storytellers and diplomats and critics?

Killigrew said:
...a lot of stuff...
I didn't specify the current situation regarding war an other large scale conflicts. because I want to tailor it a bit around the characters we bring into the game. Easiest would be to say that there is a time of truce, but even so I do believe that we can assume that there are armed conflicts in certain parts of the world (mostly so concerning the southerners I'm afraid) but I'd prefer if we specify that as we go (or are you in dire need of information, squire? If so, tell my why and I shall try to provide you answers). Obviousely there are jousts and such things, along with raids of castle and other ways of plotting. Everyone wants a bigger part of the cake :) And as we can read in the History tab, it is implied that the One Faith is spreading north, and that in turn implies that people do send missionaries!

As for people going viking, I'd say that there probably are people from all regions doing such raids, but perhaps most of all the coastal northerners since they are in more of the viking age sort of setting while the south appears to be more medival with knights and what not... But then again, I can't imagine the Danr not being the ones that knows their way around fast and effective longships, so I guess there's a bit of both there :P

And no, there is no Christ figure, just The One who sees everything! (I meant for The Old Faith to have the moon as it's symbol, it was supposed to be his watching eye in the sky, must've missed that!)

Lastly, the sort of bard you're talking about could probably be a Skald of sorts. Look it up :)

Yay! Thanks for all the info! I feel sufficiently liberated to start making a character *^ * excite excite.

Killigrew said:
Yay! Thanks for all the info! I feel sufficiently liberated to start making a character *^ * excite excite.
And you've made your poor GM full of doubt :o I've missed to add soooo much stuff that really should've been there! I'll see to add my own character sooner or later, just have to find time to write it down xD

Cannibal said:
Hullo, it's me cannibal. Can you tell me more about the Vast Ice and what kind of people live there? @Wavebird
The Vast Ice sports a climate that reminds of an arctic tundra. The only ones that live there are a few tribes of a seal-hunting folk along the coasts. These people are a kind of Lapun Folk, but that have been much more isolated from the world of humans. You'd find a few trolls (some of the actual giants!) and elves on the inland however. Further north the tundra becomes a desert of snow and ice where only few people ever have set foot, spotless white flats that go on forever, ever-frozen, no human knows what lies beyond.

But hey! The Vast Ice is big and unexplored (even the southern parts), so if you have something in mind, go ahead! (Or run it by me first if you want to hear my thoughts on it)

I don't suppose it'd be unheard of for rogues to prey upon those few unfortunate travelers that venture too far north or the isolated tribe folk. And in this case, I mean literally prey on.

Cannibal said:
I don't suppose it'd be unheard of for rogues to prey upon those few unfortunate travelers that venture too far north or the isolated tribe folk. And in this case, I mean literally prey on.
I see :P Well, considering your name that wasn't too surprising either. If you want to play a cannibal I say fine, but make sure there are reasons for the character to have gone down that path, and that he or she is more than just a cannibal. Perhaps it's a half-troll (or troll-blood) that has inherited his apetite for human flesh from the trolls? Or is it perhaps a curse put upon him by someone? Is he perhaps a Tjettanis cultist that follows a demon that demands sacrifice by consumption? Whatever you choose, make sure that you can play nice with the rest of the group, or chances are that things won't work out ^^ I guess what I am trying to say is that a chaotic raging cannibal won't work xD

Nah I get you, I'm leaning towards the Tjettanis cultist sacrificial consumption route. Nice to meet you by the way, I'm Irubus' friend and the reason he keeps making cannibal references in your Fleets of Talavah roleplay.

Cannibal said:
Nah I get you, I'm leaning towards the Tjettanis cultist sacrificial consumption route. Nice to meet you by the way, I'm Irubus' friend and the reason he keeps making cannibal references in your Fleets of Talavah roleplay.
Hah! I figured as much :P Anyway, ask me if you want help with creating your character, remember that he is suppsed to get something in return for the sacrifice since it's Tjettanis

I just finished the art for my character! Have a look!

Illwa_Aagbiornsdottir.jpg
I'll make art for any accepted character in the same manner as this one, just tell me and I will get to it! (Might take some time of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, this looks fascinating, :D I'm really interested in joining, but first, a couple questions.

Firstly, I'm currently procrastinating on my finals (curse you, college) so I might not be able to start posting regularly until break begins in about a week. Is that okay?

Secondly, did you have a particular vision for the ethnicities of the characters (i.e., differences across the different regions) or is whatever I come up with cool? Because most of my characters end up being either brown or another minority.

Thirdly, would a homebody, Disney Princess type raised in Danr be totally out of place in this role-play? I really want to take that archetype and see if I can make the character have depth and be likable while still keeping the same sort of spirit. Also I'm not looking to make her an actual princess, just, you know, have a couple of frolicsome deer babies and whatnot.

Hello @Wavebird ! Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading through the lore you've posted and all of the other relevant material. Killigrew suggested this roleplay to me because I've been searching for a good fantasy roleplay, and I think this one might fit the bill! After looking through the various types of Folk and Creatures, I was wondering if the Tomten dwarves and the Troll-bloods are playable. I can see myself filling a much-needed role with either, but if you only want your PCs to be human, I understand.

If you would like me to have my character be human, I would ask as to how one would go about becoming a Wind Weaver. I understand what can be done with such power, but I'm curious as to how it would be introduced into the family life, economics, political factions, etc. If I am to be a human, I can see myself playing as a power-hungry Wind Weaver whose ambitiousness leads him into carelessness.

OMG IRE be the wind weaver! :D

I think it'd be perfect. If he's fraught with careless ambition, and then exiled or maybe they were gonna kill him, and he's run away, he could meet up at the monastery my character's at and give my character something to follow.

I was planning on making a character that's given up hope and thinks there's no way to subvert injustice. It'd be perfect *^ *

I could certainly make the wind weaver. The character's name would most likely be Xanaster, though I would definitely need a more unique place of origin for him to have such a grandiose name.

Xanaster? Hmm, maybe he's one of the Sea People that came from the south?

Or he could be a half-elf, or have elf diluted in his bloodline since that causes Weavery. Maybe he ran from the elf kingdom?

Ooooh, he might do well as an elf-blood. I picture him with silver-ish hair and exotic-colored irises (orange, particularly).

Glad to see you all writing! I am flattered that you all seem to enjoy the setting!

First of all, we've not started playing yet, but I was thinking maybe saturday or sunday. So don't worry :)

The homebody princess archetype is great! Just go for it and tweak it for the setting.

Regarding ethmicites, Rotsheimgaard is populated with people reminding of medieval europe, and more so Scandinavia. But there are lands across the southern sea where people might've come from on rare occasion, so just go ahead and make a character the way you want.

You guys can play any race or creature that you want ad long as it's human ;) No but really, I perfer human character (including troll- and elf-bloods) But if you have a goos tomten idea, just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back