Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

I'm currently under the impression that GM-heavy stuff is usually in groups.
Why would 1x1's need a GM, though? Most people doing those don't want to feel like they're putting in all the effort.

Why would 1x1's need a GM, though? Most people doing those don't want to feel like they're putting in all the effort.

My SO plays his 1x1s like this. I think he's used to being in the GM chair and lots of RPers are lazy and enjoy not having to put in effort. XD

My only experience playing a 1x1 where someone was GMing was pretty bad. We started off doing equal work as usual, but then they were like "oh hey can we set this in a fantasy world that I've made and I'll do the NPCs, settings, etc." and I was like "sure OK" but it quickly became super boring as I couldn't describe anything in my posts without waiting for them to tell me what my character would see, hear and so on, which made it really restrictive. I'm ashamed to say I ghosted that RP. :/ But I've never ghosted one since because the guilt was too much.

My SO plays his 1x1s like this. I think he's used to being in the GM chair and lots of RPers are lazy and enjoy not having to put in effort. XD

My only experience playing a 1x1 where someone was GMing was pretty bad. We started off doing equal work as usual, but then they were like "oh hey can we set this in a fantasy world that I've made and I'll do the NPCs, settings, etc." and I was like "sure OK" but it quickly became super boring as I couldn't describe anything in my posts without waiting for them to tell me what my character would see, hear and so on, which made it really restrictive. I'm ashamed to say I ghosted that RP. :/ But I've never ghosted one since because the guilt was too much.
I can't even successfully GM group RP's( for a variety of reasons) so there's no way I could do it in a 1x1. Besides, if a person wants to do that level of worldbuilding on their own then they're better off writing a novel.

I like doing Quests sometimes, as GM, which is a bit like being the GM for a single character, but I feel like GMing 1x1 would demand way more from me than usual where I can bait players into doing half the work for me.
The last time I was going to GM 1x1 was going to be a very intense, philosophical horror RP with Frankenstein vibes with my ex (she was going to be the monster), but that was going to be in-person and I feel like our shared context would have made it easier.

Wish 1x1 GMed stuff was more popular, they were called Interactive Story Roleplays (ISRPs) on the forum I came from.

I don't know if I did this or not. I had a partner who played one single character in the roleplay, while I played all the rest including 2 characters who engaged in a relationship with my partners character, while the other characters I played were all there to fill the space and interact with each other. So my posts tended to be somewhat longer and description / action filled progressing the story along. While my partners post were always reactionary, responding to everything I did but never expanding on the story itself.

So would that be what you're talking about?

I can't even successfully GM group RP's( for a variety of reasons) so there's no way I could do it in a 1x1. Besides, if a person wants to do that level of worldbuilding on their own then they're better off writing a novel.

Maybe they don't want to write a novel. I don't see the problem if one player just wants an easy ride and one person wants to do all the work. As long as what you want is compatible with what your partner wants, it's all cool.

I like doing Quests sometimes, as GM, which is a bit like being the GM for a single character, but I feel like GMing 1x1 would demand way more from me than usual where I can bait players into doing half the work for me.
The last time I was going to GM 1x1 was going to be a very intense, philosophical horror RP with Frankenstein vibes with my ex (she was going to be the monster), but that was going to be in-person and I feel like our shared context would have made it easier.

Yeah I did a lot of 1 player, 1 storyteller RPs with tabletop (mainly Vampire) for years and they were awesome! I think a game that is set up to have a storyteller works equally well as a 1x1 or a group, but 1x1 allows for more intensity and a deeper experience.

The roleplayers are not very welcoming to divergent ideas for running / setting up and RP and aren't very welcoming when someone tries to do things differently. I'll die on this hill!

If something is unfulfilling, it fails to satisfy a person's desires or ambitions.

Forum rp has become a sinkhole of ideas. It allows me to feel creative while enabling the procrastination and self-doubt that scares me from actually creating something. I can't keep a conversation going. How can I expect to collaborate with multiple, equally asocial, functionally anonymous Internet personas, especially when half of them are almost twice my age? And what's the point of going "fuck it" and joining a bunch of RPs I know are going to die out of the hopes that this time I'll love it and meet people... when I can (a) find a different avenue for RP, (b) find a writing group or something. I'm only logged in because of the 30+ documents of free-form RP concepts stored in my cloud that I'm irrationally attached to and the fact I've been doing this since I was, like, twelve.

...not as low-key as I thought.

"Slow burn" romances are not as great as people make them out to be and two people instantly liking each other is not unrealistic. People seem to get their perception of love and attraction from anime and YA novels but here is the reality. Look at any relationship you've been in and tell me if it took months of pining and or developing a friendship for you to know you liked them or get into a relationship with them?

Instant love might be much but liking someone is perfectly fine I personally find it more fun to write the actual relationship than to write the pining. People make the mistake of thinking being in a relationship instantly means you are in love, no you can still develop relationships and feelings of characters while they are involved, relationship development does not end at the first kiss 🙄

My mother and stepfather have been together for 23 years and weren't truly in love until 6 or 7 years in. My uncle and his wife have been in love since high school, everyone is different.

"Slow burn" romances are not as great as people make them out to be and two people instantly liking each other is not unrealistic. People seem to get their perception of love and attraction from anime and YA novels but here is the reality. Look at any relationship you've been in and tell me if it took months of pining and or developing a friendship for you to know you liked them or get into a relationship with them?

Instant love might be much but liking someone is perfectly fine I personally find it more fun to write the actual relationship than to write the pining. People make the mistake of thinking being in a relationship instantly means you are in love, no you can still develop relationships and feelings of characters while they are involved, relationship development does not end at the first kiss 🙄

My mother and stepfather have been together for 23 years and weren't truly in love until 6 or 7 years in. My uncle and his wife have been in love since high school, everyone is different.

One of my favourite romance plots I have going right now(on another site) was pretty much instantaneous attraction between the two. It can definitely work.

One of my favourite romance plots I have going right now(on another site) was pretty much instantaneous attraction between the two. It can definitely work.
I usually have two main characters in a 1/1 so I tend to get that one slow burn couple, and the other is established. It's fun!

My last long roleplay I did a 3 year long slow burn (characters still weren't together by the end) and we had one main established couple that had some MAJOR couple drama with huge stakes. It was such fun to have both!

I usually have two main characters in a 1/1 so I tend to get that one slow burn couple, and the other is established. It's fun!

My last long roleplay I did a 3 year long slow burn (characters still weren't together by the end) and we had one main established couple that had some MAJOR couple drama with huge stakes. It was such fun to have both!

I think it often depends on the type of romance plot too. Different things work for different scenarios. With the one I'm doing it's meant to be a star-crossed lovers type plot where external forces try to keep them apart rather than their own feelings keeping them apart.

• Start-up time. My fucking gods I hate how long it takes to get Group RPs going. A couple of days to rope in three or four people (or more if you're lucky) is completely understandable, especially if I got in on the interest check from the beginning. But if I went and claimed a spot at about the same time as the rest of the group, or worse if I am late to the party to get started, and I get my CS in and approved... it gets really frustrating to wait two, three, four, FIVE days for the rest of the group to get their shit together so the RP can actually start.

• Even though I've already said it to death, I abhor school/academy roleplay. Magic and Superhero academy even more so. Like, barf to the 99th degree! The less I see of these floating around, the better. These topics are what makes me wish we could block specific tags.

• Eldritch horror is quickly becoming overused. Lovecraftian themes used to be super obscure, and it was a nice and refreshing surprise to see something in that vein. But now, I see some kind of eldritch abomination reference in everything from sci-fi to fantasy becoming very very popular. Kinda loses its luster when every 10th RP is host to mind-breaking horror.

• Marvel and DC comic-verse/superheroes have got to be one of the most overrated topics on the internet, much less RP sites.

• I'll never see the appeal of using anime face claims. Like, those faces are just so cheap and cheesy. Out of all the art on the internet, and you chose to have substandard detail for your faceclaim??? They are so interchangeable and indistinct, you can just swap one face for another and wouldn't know the difference.

I'll never see the appeal of using anime face claims. Like, those faces are just so cheap and cheesy. Out of all the art on the internet, and you chose to have substandard detail for your faceclaim??? They are so interchangeable and indistinct, you can just swap one face for another and wouldn't know the difference.

I'm not here to change your mind or start a fight to each their own but are you telling me you no one would no the difference between.

This
cce8d5f7a463f898fa38ea0c32f0b7ce.jpg
And this? 😂
cf6ca8f6c7a01dba0f7e971707d5c985.jpg

I'm not here to change your mind or start a fight to each their own but are you telling me you no one would no the difference between.

This
View attachment 801229
And this? 😂
View attachment 801230
I'm saying that (generally) you can take the FACE of like 90% of anime characters, and paste it onto another character and it makes little difference. They all have that slopey, checkmark nose, simplistic mouth, and big, giant eyes. I get that it's the style, but it's always bugged me that the rest of the character can have so much nice detail to them, and then the face is like from a completely different style that makes me think they ran out of time or something. Both of the pics you supplied can stand as a testament to that.

I'll never see the appeal of using anime face claims. Like, those faces are just so cheap and cheesy. Out of all the art on the internet, and you chose to have substandard detail for your faceclaim??? They are so interchangeable and indistinct, you can just swap one face for another and wouldn't know the difference.
while i definitely know the style you're referring to, with same face syndrome: just as in western cartoons/comics there's a wide variety within anime

cowboy.0.jpg

images-w1400.png

and idk the "cheap and easy" comment doesn't sit easy with me lol. like
6570800_orig.jpg

^talk about being able to just swap hairstyle and clothes

some people don't need super detailed faces for their characters, just a nice, simple representation, showing colouring and hairstyles.

this is the unpopular opinions thread for a reason though!! i've just seen too many people dismissing cartoons and comics from an entire country because of a few examples they don't like lol. obviously i'm not gonna try to force you to change your opinion!!

while i definitely know the style you're referring to, with same face syndrome: just as in western cartoons/comics there's a wide variety within anime

cowboy.0.jpg

images-w1400.png

and idk the "cheap and easy" comment doesn't sit easy with me lol. like
6570800_orig.jpg

^talk about being able to just swap hairstyle and clothes

some people don't need super detailed faces for their characters, just a nice, simple representation, showing colouring and hairstyles.

this is the unpopular opinions thread for a reason though!! i've just seen too many people dismissing cartoons and comics from an entire country because of a few examples they don't like lol. obviously i'm not gonna try to force you to change your opinion!!
Oh, i never said American cartoons aren't guilty of the same thing. I actually think a lot of cartoons that people fawn over with gushing nostalgia were complete trash in their animation. But I also don't see those cartoons running rampant as face claims.

And lets face it... most people aren't using stuff like this as faceclaims
images-w1400.png

I'm talking about stuff like this (pulled off a quick google search of "anime face"), which is the mainstay style of anime faceclaims I've seen out there:
6fbd038de58b068c1aff89b1b7a84a5ce6348283v2_hq.jpgAnimeHeader.jpgblack-anime-character-38-background-wallpaper.jpg

That first and last pic might even be the same guy if it werent for the hair and eye color. Hell, one might even be a girl. They are that nondescript.

Last edited:
  • I'll never see the appeal of using anime face claims. Like, those faces are just so cheap and cheesy. Out of all the art on the internet, and you chose to have substandard detail for your faceclaim??? They are so interchangeable and indistinct, you can just swap one face for another and wouldn't know the difference.

I have nothing against anime FC's, provided they're kept within RP's where they actually fit. Joining a RP that is supposed to be gritty and realistic, only to have the other players use anime FC's, really ruins the immersion for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back