What's new
  • This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Tyranny of Dragons (Full)

Dice System
D&D 5e
OOC
Here

Syvvaris

Junior Member
Hoard of the Dragon Queen Episode 1
The Approach

Three days ago...
You approached a middle aged half-elf that sat at a desk outside of a large warehouse. In and around the warehouse were a dozen of covered wagons with horses and workers loading goods. You answered a call for hired help to protect the caravan from bandits and the such. Your reason for answering is your own, but the Caravan is on it's way to Baldur's gate. It will west on the greenfield plains then north when you reach the coast. Mr. Takashi, the half-elf, offered a gold per day of travel, with food and water provided by him and his company.

For the past three days...
You have been traveling a road that winds lazily across the rolling grasslands of the Greenfields. Dusk is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away. But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town Mr. Takashi and other regulars of the caravan expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance.

"Caravan, HALT!" Mr. Takashi yells from the front wagon and the command was repeated towards the rear. "Adventurers, to me!" He commands of all of his hired help of Iriabor. The four of you, along with four others, gather at the front with Mr. Takashi standing on his wagon. "Greenest is under attack, by whom I do not know and I do not care. I need you to try and help this town and save as many people as possible. Now go!"

You know who each other are. Whether you interacted with each other is up to you as an individual.
What do you do?


There's no posting order until Initiative is rolled.

Sword Coast Map.png
@Theo713 @Zotar @Junn @RisenFromAshes
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
A few glances across the smoke-streaked sky were all Xinnia's sensitive eyes could bear. Fortunately, a few glances were all she needed. By the time Mr. Takashi's first call rang out, foreboding and curiosity had already driven her to the front of the caravan. She needed little prompting. At Takashi's order to help, she burst into a sprint in the general direction of the town. She ran carefully, keeping her eyes lowered from the glaring sky, calculating the safest approach into town, and glancing over her shoulder one or twice to make sure her companions followed.

At this point, her companions knew Xinnia was ready to bring down a Fist of Law at the drop of a hat. She considered her duty a righteous one, in line with the common law she studied. She ran to help, even though her graphite face, silver-white hair, and golden eyes bespoke a sinister heritage. So rushed the Drow, into a town that might hate her, but may yet thank her... she hoped.

1572675591358.png
 

Theo713

Member
Even this far out one could smell the unmistakable scent of burning timber, Pez' ears twitching when his current employer called all of the adventurers to his side. He wanted to take off as soon as he saw the smoke and fires, but didn't want to break his contract and not get paid. Gold made the world go round, and abandoning a job part way through didn't make gold. As soon as they were given the ok to go though Pez would go as well, thought not at the speed Xinnia had gone. He had to pace himself or run the risk of exerting himself before getting to the town. I have to help those people. They could be in danger! I have to get to that town. So much stuff just waiting to be taken! Only the first thought registered in his mind as he trailed behind, wondering how hard Xinnia had practiced and trained to get as fast as she had. Maybe she could give him some pointers! Ooh he hoped she could give him some pointers.
 

RisenFromAshes

New Member
It was definitely a lot to take in after a long day's travel. Black plumes looming in the distance, flames glowing into the coming night, and villagers taking flight into the wilds was harrowing enough. The red-skinned tiefling let out a long whistle. If the tiefling known as Vigil was worried about his hometown, it didn't show. He sure as hell wasn't getting paid enough for... Well, whatever was going on, but there was a job to do. Two jobs to do, to be exact; although he hadn't clocked in for the second one just yet.

"Sure as shooting, boss." Vigil drew his longsword and waved it into the air. "Here's to hoping they don't call it Blackest after all's said and done!"

He then slung the blade haphazardly over his spaulders and took off after the rest of his party.
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
With the smoke rising to block the sun, she could see a little better the closer they got to Greenest. Xinnia found it an ironic boon. Yet the smell awakened the threat of Memory. She stifled the stirring by grounding herself in her senses. The air she breathed, the beat of her feet on the grass, the rising adrenaline, the hunger.

With a glance backward, Xinnia took comfort from the sight of her companions following her, and from the rhythm of thier footfalls. She slowed just a little, partly to allow them to match her pace, partly because It wouldn't do to wear herself out before a dangerous situation.

Not too rash now. Think. Watch. Focus!
 
Last edited:

Syvvaris

Junior Member
"It's nice to see such heroism from a drow, high elf and tiefling... but it also seems like a beginning of a good joke." The half elf says at no one in particular after the first three of his adventurers left. He looked at the others, three humans and two dragonborn. They hesitated for a moment and then they took off towards the duress-ed town.

As you reach the outskirts of the town, the sun has just settled underneath the horizon. You have reached the last hill before a stream that separates you and the town.

Roll Perception before crossing the stream.

(The picture below is the map of the town. The red X at the very bottom of the map near the center is where you all start.)
Greenest Map.jpg

@Junn @RisenFromAshes @Zotar @Theo713
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
Xinnia was starting to ache as they neared the town. At the top of the last hill, she slowed to a stop and took a survey of the situation before her. The vantage point on the hill would show them much, but that meant their approach would be all too visible to any enemies below. There was a stream between them and the flames of Greenest, and a nearby road and bridge would lead them over it right onto main street.
To those gathering on the hill she called out, "Eyes open everyone!"

Perception: 14+5=19
 
Last edited:

RisenFromAshes

New Member
"I was planning on closing my eyes and thinking of something happy, but if you insist," Vigil replied sarcastically as he crested the hill. It was finally getting dark--not a problem for him, but perhaps for those not blessed with darkvision. Fortunately, at least they had the burning buildings to light the way. Let it not be said that he could not think of upsides to such a downer situation.
 

Theo713

Member
"Ooh would you have thought of puppies? I love puppies. I always wanted a dog, but well, things don't always work out like that." Now he really wanted a puppy. Maybe after this job he would adopt one. Teach it tricks!

Perception 3 + 5 = 8
 

Syvvaris

Junior Member
(@Theo713 and Everyone Else) After cresting the hill and taking a second to observe Greenest at a much closer distance. You see all buildings on your side of the stream on fire and many figures in the main part of the city in which you can only assume as bandits and villagers.

(@Zotar) You see can see which figure is which. The bandits either being copper-scaled kobolds with spears or small crossbows; or human or human-esque with axes and torches.

(@RisenFromAshes) In between two buildings, a football field in front of you, you see two people struggling against one. At first you thought it was the two bandits fighting a villager, but when three small kids join the two you quickly realize they were villagers fighting back.

(Everyone) Five humans dash out from between two buildings. A limping man and three young children flee from the alleys towards the river. With a woman traveling a few seconds behind them all with a spear in her hands.

(@RisenFromAshes) You can see the shadows of kobolds gathering from the alley behind them.

What do you do?
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
Xinnia's annoyance with Pez and Vigil's flippancy was short lived. Her appraisal of the situation drove her unerringly forward.
"We need to help that family to safety! Let's go!" Again, she took charge, drawing her sword. No thought of leadership crossed her mind, just stubborn purpose. She ran on down and crossed the river into the fray. For the moment she couldn't tell if the woman with the spear was attacking or defending the man and the children. She would soon get a closer look, and maybe even ask someone.

Insight check: 3+5=8
 
Last edited:

Syvvaris

Junior Member
@Zotar After you cross the river, you see that the woman is wearing plain clothes with no armor or anything that would seem she was with the attacking Bandits at all.
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
Xinnia reached the family in short order. Projecting professional calm the best she could, she called out to them.
"I'll cover your escape! Just point me to your foes!"
 

Syvvaris

Junior Member
As you came up on the family, you see two little boys who couldn't be more than five and eight, a man limping with bloodstained pants and carrying a little baby, and a woman following a few feet behind them wielding a spear. They pause for a moment when you reach them and give a sigh of relief when you made it clear you were on their side.

"Anyone that's trying to murder and pillage this town!" The man exclaims. "Especially any kobolds!"

"They're right behind us!" The woman says and turns around to face the six kobolds all with spears that have crawled out of the alley ways.

Behind you, two armored dragonborns and two armored humans that you recognized from the trek show up.

Roll Initiative and take your turn.

T - Thovan Dragonbard 3
N - Nikolay the Errant Knight 6
A - Alexander Baneslayer 7
G - Garret Jax - 20
F - Family 19

Kobolds
Inititive: 4
AC: 12 / HP: 6
Spears: +4 to hit 1d6

@Zotar
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
Xinnia took the woman's right side, closing ranks with her. A clattering noise behind them announced the eminent arrival of some armored companions from the caravan. Xinnia wasn't foolhardy enough to take on six spear wielders just yet, so she decided to buy time.
She shifted her short sword to her left hand and assumed a guarded stance. With her right hand she drew forth one of her darts and threw it at the nearest kobold. The dart missed and embedded itself in a nearby wall. Oh well.

(note: second initiative roll was a mistake)
(edit: @Syvvaris Already rolled a miss)
 
Last edited:

Syvvaris

Junior Member
Garret, a golden dragonborn, charged at the closest Kobold and swings his greatsword downwards onto the kobold, nearly splitting it in half. (Attack Hits, Deals 7 (Great Weapon fighting allows rerolling 1 and 2 on damage dice)

The woman and the family stay wear they are, hoping the people around them are strong enough to protect them.

Alexander follows suit and charges the closest kobold with his shield up and spear out, and manages to stab the kobold, but it still lives.

Nikolay charges the closest kobold to him with a loud battle roar, and attempts to bring two short swords down on the lone kobold. The first sword misses, the second sword splits the Kobold's skull

Kobolds will surround the closest person to them and attack.
Kobolds 2 and 3 will attack Nikolay with advantage. Kobold 2 seized an opening and thrusts it's spear deep into Alexander's side. A loud scream of pain is let out from Alexander. He takes 11 damage, 1 health left
Kobold 4 and 5 attack Nikolay. Kobold 4's spear manages to pierce Nikolay's armor, and Kobold's 5 manages to barely pierce his armor. (4 Damage from 4, 3 from a glancing blow (met his ac) 7 total, 4 left.)

Thovan, a blue dragonborn, calls out "Those spears are to heavy for you! with magically laced words, psychic attacking Kobold's 4's head.

Kobold 1 and 6 Dead
Kobold 4: 2 HP Left, Disadvantage next attack.
Alexander: 1 HP Left,
Nikolay: 4 HP Left

@Zotar Your turn, also shouldn't have put in as many DMPC's....
 
Last edited:

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
The spectacle unfolded quite quickly. Xinnia's next move took her to Nicolay's side. She struck out with her sword at the Kobold to Nicolay's left and followed up with her foot for good measure. She hoped the attack would propel that Kobold into its partner.

The sword severed the Kobold's head neatly, but Xinnia's kick was lacking. The falling corpse would not harm its partner.
 

Syvvaris

Junior Member
@Zotar Xinnia's sword chops off a lump of the kobold's skull but falls to the ground before you were able to kick it into another. (Also, how do you have a +8 as a bonus to attack? Also, can you link me your character sheet again?)

After hearing the scream of Alexander, Garret rushes over to the one that stabbed him and attempts to cleave him in half, dealing 12 Damage and kills Kobold 2.

The family stays where they are at.

Alexander pushes threw the pain and stabs at one of the kobolds, and steels himself to keep fighting (Second wind 1d10+1; heals 9) Kobold 2 is damaged but takes 5 damage, 1 hp left

Nikolay does not miss a beat with the death of one of the bastards that stabbed him, and swings both his swords at the other. The first sword misses but his second sword severs it's head from it's shoulders. "Help the others!" He commands Xinnia and points towards Alexander and Garret

Kobold 3 attacks Alexander but his spear hits nothing but shield.

Thovan trots over to the woman and slings another insult with magic laced in the words at kobold 3, but they fall on deaf ears.

@ Zotar, your turn again. #3 is left

Kobolds 2, 4 and 5 and dead.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
The remaining kobold already had plenty to deal with. Then Xinnia rushed in to ruin its day. First with the hilt of her blade, and then with her fist. She wanted a prisoner to question this time. "SURRENDER!" She commanded as her blow fell.

(Miss with the sword. Hit with fist for 9 NON-lethal damage.)
 
Last edited:

Syvvaris

Junior Member
@Zotar As you swing your Sword, the Kobold ducks, but you follow through with your fist and connects with the kobold's jaw. The kobold's body goes limp and for the moment there is no one else in the field besides your allies and the family.

The woman lets the spear drop and runs over to Xinnia, "Thank you so much for saving us!" She gives you a hug, "But we need to get to the keep quickly!"

(Gain 50 Xp)
 

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
The hug shook Xinnia from her stern composure, warming her. She smiled. "You're welcome." Taking strength from the gratitude she straightened up. To her stout allies she asked, "Would either of you kindly bind up this kobold and carry him up to the Keep? He may have information when he wakes. We should get our wounded to the Keep as well, while the rest of us continue to rescue the villagers. We may have to do some hunting."
 

Syvvaris

Junior Member
The Golden Dragonborn walks towards Xinnia, "You don't know much about kobolds do you? They're not high on the food chain, chances are it doesn't know much outside of which way to stick you with the spear." He said, "Miss, besides the open road. What is the best way to get to the keep?"

"The road leads to the bridge that crosses a shallow stream. Just on the otherside of the stream is the hill the Keep sits on. That might be the best way." The woman says, "Do you really think you can take all of the bandits down?" She asks Xinnia.

The blonde human walked over to hog tie the kobold, then tied him to the end of it's spear. "Awesome! I can swing this spear and the kobold at any other dimwits that want to challenge me!" He looked towards the woman. "I'm Nikolay Gloryseeker, and you are?" He introduced himself.

"I'm Linen Swift and that's my family over there. Please let's go towards the keep." She said and picked up her dropped spear and went to be with her family. The blue dragonborn tending to the husband's leg.

@Zotar The choice is yours which way you want to take. The bigger red X with a 2 is were you are at.
 

Attachments

Zotar

Argiope Aurantia
Xinnia answered Linen's question with a question. "How many bandits are we talking about? These ones nearly..." She stopped short upon seeing what Nicolay had in mind for the unconscious kobold. "Are you really going to do that?" Perhaps killing the kobold outright would have been a mercy. "He may deserve that, but all the same keep him alive. I'm sure that if he could wield a spear, he could flap his gums about his boss." It was cold of her, but perhaps there was a tactical benefit.

She sheathed her sword and picked up one of the kobold's dropped spears to replace her missing dart. "You can take point Nicolay. I'll follow behind and guard your backs."
 

Syvvaris

Junior Member
"Yes, it's a kobold attacking this town without reason and should have been killed." Nikolay retorts. "But somebody had to go easy on him, so to respect your wishes and also not hinder us. I'm going to put his body to good use. Either as a threat or a club." He hoisted the spear over his shoulder with the kobold handing limp. "I make no promises. You've heard the dragonborn, kobolds are the lowest on the totem pole."

Linan was dumbfounded by Nikolay to really answer Xinnia, but Garret interjected, "From far away we saw dozens of fires all over Greenest. I highly doubt that this is a small band of bandits."

Alexander limped over towards the group, "Before we lost sight of the other side of the village. I think I saw at least thirty other people on the far east side of town. This is a war party if I ever saw one before, and the keep is going to be the safest place for these villagers." He stated, and looked towards Nikolay.

"The most direct path then. Everyone follow me!" Nikolay stated and walked down the road.

"Keep the family in the middle" Garret mentions before taking the left flank of the family. Thovan stayed near the family in the center, Alexander took the right flank.

You go down the main trail about 300 feet and reach the beginning of the bridge.

ROLL PERCEPTION!
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top