• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With the magic of the invisibility is lost on her, Darian carefully advances through the shifting sands until she is standing at Dunbar's side. "Describe it to me. I wish to see it as best as I can."
Dunbar shrugs; a motion that is mostly lost on the blind Darian. "At this point, there is little enough to describe. Its just a worn out and broken down wall with a door in the middle of it. Most of the complex is underground, and like I said, I only was able to get in this first door because it is broken and no longer sealed shut. The second door inside is still shut. It will take the Essence of you Exalts to open it."
He is tentative about following when Dunbar Holst vanishes in front of them. As they crossed the threshold of the illusion to bring the ruins and their guide back into view however, Viktor turns his head looking around in amazement. "I've never seen magics of this kind before! Truly a wonder!"

Like a kid at a candy shop, he rushes to the large door and fiddles with the pouch of alchemical touchstones at his side. "Jade you said? Let's see if they used anything else along with it." He begins rubbing each of the eight small ceramic shards against the door, and analyzing the smears left behind to discern whether any other special material was included.
From your examination, you can see that the door is mostly a mix of steel and Jade, with a few inlays of Orichalcum and surprisingly, Starmetal. The door is cracked down the middle, making it possible to enter.
"For a time, sure. Though, I don't think Sol would appreciate us using his gifts to settle down as sand-hobos in a tomb for too long." Aredin added with a smile, reaching into what supplies they had for a map. "Anything useful nearby that you know of Holst?" He'd ask as he perused what had been charted for the area, attempting to recall what resources of note would be available if they chose to have a long-term presence here.
The older man nods. "There is a oasis with a small spring not far from here, giving us ready access to water. For food, not so much. There are a few plants at the oasis, but nothing that I saw that can be eaten. If we are going to be here for a while, we will need to find a source of food or bring in some of our own."

Aredin stows the map and heads over to the crack in the door, "Ah well, may as well see what's inside though. Guess I'll go first since I've got the target on my head." He'd add, flaring his caste mark to illuminate the dark.

Viktor places the ceramic shards back into his pouch, then gently runs a hand along the fissure where it splits at the center of the door. He furrows his brow and looks to Holst, a dark thought occurring to him. "As impressive as this door appears, why is it open in the first place? You told us that the writings inside dedicate this location to the Solar Exalted. But in order for that to be the case, it had to be erected after they were overthrown."

He rubs his chin in contemplation, then shakes his head at Aredin. "I don't know about this Aredin. Maybe Rashiid should scout it out first, just to be cautious." Looking back at the door, Viktor scowls. "I want in there as quickly as you do. But if the Terrestrials sealed it in the first place, then they would have had no reason to reenter it and risk the ire of Solar ghosts. Which means something else cracked this door open like an egg. Something powerful. Do we really want to run into there without being sure?"

"Holst got in and out no problem, and I can't be taken by surprise." Aredin said bluntly. "I'll take my chances. C'mon everyone."

Rashiid shrugs, following Aredin, saying, "Typical, but you're the boss." walking along, he looks to the walls and their surroundings looking for traps.

Viktor bit back a curse, then sighed and followed the other two men in. His right hand brushed across the top of his hammer, reminding him it was still there at his side if he needed it. Let's just hope whatever did this either left or died.

Pushing the door to one side, you see a stone ramp leading down into a large central hall. In the dust on the ground, you can see a single set of footprints marring the otherwise untouched layer of sand that has blown in. Dunbar points down at them and says, "Those were made by me as I came in and left. When I was last here, I saw no signs of anyone having been inside here for a very long time, and it looks like no one has come on in since then. Looks like we are alone in here." Looking around in the light provided by Aredin's anima, you can see the walls are covered by intricate murals depicting scenes from the height of the First Age, inlaid with enough gold and other precious metals to be a kings ransom if you were so inclined to strip the walls.

The large central hall extends off to either side, and your guide tells you that these lead off to resting places of two Dragon-Blooded from the First Age. "I have not opened these tombs to see what may wait inside, so you may want to be careful if and when you investigate in them. Sol only knows what traps may be waiting for you in them."

At the far end of the main hall is the second door that you have been told about. It is clear that this door is intact and tightly sealed, and instead of being made of mostly Jade and steel, this one looks to be solid Orichalcum. Aysik slowly approaches this door and runs his hands over the surface. He says, "I have seen doors like this before. The lock is powered by Essence, designed to keep those that are not Exalted out of the next chamber. The solid Orichalcum design of this door would tell me that it probably will require a Solar to use his or her Essence to open it. What must be done is you place your hand upon the door and channel your energy into it until the lock opens up. The other doors I have seen can be opened by a team effort, so one Exalt will not be drained of all their power in an effort to open the door to gain access to the other side."

He steps back from the door to give the rest of you room to approach it. Who will be the first one to channel their Essence into the door, and if so, how much do you put into it?

Before going over to the second door, the young Zenith will focus her attention on any telltale sounds that might be detectable to her sensitive ears. She then says, "If we do open the resting place of the two Dragon-Blooded in here, I will make sure that their bodies are cleansed by the holy fire of the Unconquered Sun and guarantee that their spirits are sent on without rising once more to confront us. Now, let us examine this door and see what we can do to open it."

Darian glides over to it and places her hand upon the cool metal and closes her eyes, sending her stored energies into it.
I'll start off with 10m from Peripheral Essence into the door to see what happens. 14 successes with my Hearing Perception roll
Both Awareness Charms are up and running

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Soak: 1L/2B - +1L/+1B from Exceptional Clothing, +3L/+6B from Pearlescent Filigree Defense (One Scene), +4A/+8L+8B from Iron Kettle Body (One Scene)
+4A/+8L/+8B from Iron Skin Concentration (Instant)

Willpower: 8

Essence: 3
Personal: 17 / 12
Peripheral: 38 / 24
Committed: 4

Aredin walks up and joins Darian channeling 15 motes into door, now thrumming alive with the essence of the lawgivers. His anima stoked up slightly, light spreading a little, but not with so much force to bleach the walls with it's light.

Personal: 9/19
Peripheral: 30/40
Committed: 5 (Jade Reaper Daiklave)

With the first few motes of Essence placed into the door, it begins to glow. Faintly at first, then brighter and brighter, until finally you can hear an audible click and the door slowly swings wide open. In here, there is no dust covering the floor, and the air is nice and cool compared to the hot, dry air of the outer chamber.

Slowly stepping inside, the inner chamber is circular with several passages leading off into the darkness. There are several tombs here, all of which have the mortal remains of fallen Solars and several Artifacts interred with them.
At this point, I am going to go ahead and let everyone pick out some Artifacts and Hearthstones. You all get 12 points of Artifacts and 3 points of Hearthstones. Let me know what you decide on getting in the OOC thread

Viktor cautiously steps through the opened doorway, eyeing the large Orichalcum door as they all move inside in case it begins to slam shut behind them. Assuming nothing happens, he turns to consider the passages lying ahead of them. He folds his arms across his chest, and voices the obvious question. "So, which one first?"

"Left to right, like reading a book."Aredin suggests, pacing the chamber as he inspected the floor, footing, and walls.

Over the course of the next several hours, the Circle of Exalts search through the various corridors and discover that there are a total of five different tombs; four Solars and one Sidereal. As you open the Sidereal's final resting place, Dunbar seems strangely drawn to the fallen Sidereal's sword. He reaches inside the coffin and picks it up, and when he does so, a bright light suddenly bursts out from him as he receives his pre-ordained Celestial Exaltation as Aysik had talked about back in the tea house. The new Exalt looks amazed as he stands there, looking about the chamber in wonder.

"Wha-what just happened? I feel . . . amazing!"

Aysik clamps a firm hand on his shoulder with a wide grin. "Welcome to the ranks of the Fivescore Fellowship! You, sir, are now the newest member of our ranks. Congratulations! You now have opened a door to a much larger world than you have ever known before. There is much to learn. Don't worry, though. I'll take you under my wing to show you the ropes of your new life, in between times that I'm here in Creation doing my part of helping the Solar Exalted return to their rightful place in the world."

Further examination of the underground complex reveals a vast library of First Age books covering a range of topics, from things as simple as hydrodynamic theory as it relates to indoor plumbing to more esoteric topics as several tomes of sorcerous knowledge. Along with the library is a complex gymnasium with a training automation to practice sparring with, a summoning chamber with a variety of wards already set up to help keep summoned spirits or demons under control, and finally, a extremely well-equipped workshop the likes of which to make Viktor drool in excitement.

A spiral staircase leads to a lower level of the complex that houses living quarters for a number of servants, along with eight larger, more luxurious rooms that are obviously intended to house Exalts.

When Dunbar reaches into the coffin and pulls out the Daiklave and Exalts, Darian smiles wide. "Wonderful! The world needs more people that understand that the Solars are not the source of all evil in the world like the Immaculate Order preaches, especially ones that become Celestial Exalted!" She leans over and gives the newest Exalt in Creation a warm hug. "Congratulations, my friend. Use your new powers wisely."

Walking about the complex, Darian experiments with her new Artifacts and the Hearthstones. While her hearing is exceptional, especially when boosted by the use of her Charms, the new sense that the Stone of the Earthweb gives her is a wonder. Using this new sense, she takes her time exploring the place, marveling in the wonder of the place. When she next runs into another one of the Circle, she makes the observation, "You know, with just a little bit of work, we can really turn this place around and use it as a great hidden base, thanks to the little invisibility trick I heard so much about out front."

Aredin smiles at Darian's suggestion. "Ah that brings me to something I've been mulling over since before we landed in Chiaroscuro... If we seek to survive the Hunt in the long-term I think we should fortify a territory of influence. More simply put, I'd like to found an Empire of our own...raise our own people, crops, economy... army... and navy possibly. It would give us both a shield and sword to make a real difference for the better. I implore each of you, Holst and Aysik included if you'd like to take part, to give serious thought to what a unified force could accomplish if we pool our resources and talents."

Darian tilts her head in contemplation of the suggestion of making their own empire; one that would be a place free of the Wyld Hunt. "Color me interested. I have a bit of influence with the Guild and some coin in the bank, and would love to be a part of something like this."

Aredin takes a seat nearby, examining the artifacts he claimed over the course of their exploration. "And the rest of you? Aysik? Holst? Viktor? Feihan?" Aredin notably expected Rashiid's response in the affirmative with an agreement that had discussed quite some time ago. 'I don't want a world where the ones unlucky enough to be orphaned must run from the chains of slavers... I don't want any more families ravaged by the hunger of Raksha... I want prosperity, community, and unity, but I can't turn my back on my friends should they deny me here. They're all I have left... Kuridin... would you struggle as I have? Would you have chased this path?... Can I really do enough for the both of us?' Aredin thought as he seemed to tense up in his seat.

As the group explored the different corridors and found each of the hidden tombs, Viktor became less on edge and visibly more comfortable. It seemed especially auspicious when Holst was exalted into the ranks of the Maiden's Chosen before their eyes, and he agreed with the congratulatory words Darian shared with the new exalt. He felt perhaps the Sun was smiling upon them, and was hopeful when they entered the tomb of his past Solar life. Viktor was drawn to the tomb and its remains in an esoteric way he hadn't felt since his exaltation vision a few years earlier. The panoply he found interred with the long-dead Lawgiver was impressive, and spoke to the puissance the elder Exalt must have commanded. He recognized some of the golden materials from the vision he experienced of his forebearer's crafting, forming armaments with Sol Invictus' blessing during the High First Age. As they continued exploring he was also amazed to find how many different chambers were contained within the underground complex. While he was intent on making full use of every utility offered, by far the one that put a smile on his face was the workshop. It outclassed his forge in Chiaroscuro in every way imaginable, and he could not wait to test it out.

For the time being however, he left it behind and continued to follow the group as they surveyed all the offerings of the Solar-portion of the complex. This area really must be empty...well, not counting the bleached bones of our prior incarnations. Viktor sat down, intending to take a moment and reflect on everything they had seen so far. He turned to his partners as they spoke on the subject of empire building, and though not sure at first he found himself nodding along as Aredin outlined his motivation of making a difference for the better.

Viktor had not known any of them very long, and in their short time together his opinion on their often impromptu leader seemed to vacillate between mild frustration and outright disagreement. Aredin is arrogant and self-assured, dangerous qualities alone and even more so in tandem. He always seems ready to jump feet first before weighing his options. Viktor eyed the Eclipse member of their group, rubbing the stubble on his chin as he considered the man seated near him. He hasn't been wrong though. Not once. The blacksmith looked around the room at the assembled group. He may be quick to act, but he does it with their best interests at heart. He stared at the caste symbol golden and glowing on Aredin's forehead. Perhaps that's why we were chosen. Perhaps we've been given a gift, not to hide it away, but to step out into the light and act when others can't. With a sigh, he resigned himself to the conclusion he would inevitably draw. Perhaps I've been stubborn, and need to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"In Lookshy, we placed utmost value on our ability to defend the great walled city. As we saw it, through protecting the promontory, we also protected the people of the Scavenger Lands from the dark depravities and unmade horrors that sought dominion over them." He looked to Aredin with restrained guilt and shame in his eyes. "We led the allied forces against the Dynasts of Thorns. We met them in the field, and all but vanquished the entirety of their armies. So when the undead monsters arrived, they had no chance to counter and no way to escape their fate." He shook his head. "We did it all in the name of defending the Threshold, yet all we managed was to give that dead bastard a soft spot to strike. In truth, I don't think there was a thing we could have done differently. If history were altered, and we stood by our fickle cousins from the Realm as that undead behemoth crawled out of the Underworld, the outcome would not have changed." Viktor crossed his arms. "I believe in the mission of the Seventh Legion, but I no longer believe that they can do it alone. Our enemies have become emboldened, and somehow their power has risen to match it. Or maybe they've been this powerful all along and just bided their time before revealing themselves. Whatever the answer, the world is going to Malfeas in a handbasket, and someone has got to step up before its too late."

He stood and took a step towards Aredin. "I've been hiding in my forge for too long, and it's time to come back out into the sun. You told Darian you want this new empire to make a difference for the better. So do I." He holds his hand out to the younger man's, ready to shake. "If you are willing to sanctify it, as is your right, then I am prepared to swear an oath to the Sun to follow your lead so long as you continue to defend the people of creation from the denizens that would do them harm."

Darian smiles wider at the positive response from Viktor. "I would be willing to join in such an oath myself. I cannot see myself standing idly by as all of Creation burns around me. I have been called by the Unconquered Sun for a reason, and I will do my best to live up to my true destiny." She reaches her hand out and places it on top of the artificer's and gives it a squeeze. "I wish to be a part of something greater than just myself."

Aysik walks over with Dunbar at his side. He says, "I have been working to bring back the Solars for longer than all of you have been alive combined. I see no reason not to continue my work, helping you out with your plans to establish a new Solar empire. Count me in."

Dunbar looks at each of you in turn, then finally nods. "I don't know what I can do to aid in this endeavor, but I pledge myself to your cause. Without you, I would be dead. I owe you all my life. How can I turn aside from helping you now? I will join you."

Aredin would wait for the others to say their peace and eventually put his hand in the pile, caste mark flaring. "I vow to lead to the best of my ability for the sake of the people. Together we will fight back the dark powers defiling creation." With that the oaths would be sealed.

Rashid chuckles at Aredin's words, saying, "You know, somehow I'm not surprised in the slightest. But, if forging an empire is your plan, then..." he places his hand in the center as well, "I suppose my talents would come in handy."

Lance chuckles and puts his hand into the center. "Perhaps my abilities as a sorcerer, such as they are, can be better passed on within an empire than as some wandering hermit. And I do not wish to abandon this circle. You'll have my Essence and my mind at your disposal."

After the oath is sanctified, Darian lowers her hand to her side. "It would seem that we are all in on this idea of forming a new nation. While I am interested in helping in any way that I can, my skill set is hardly one to run a fledgling nation. I can provide assistance in 'convincing' people to accept our rules and the worship of the Unconquered Sun, though. I will need to find my true place in this endeavor."

Aredin smiled, and would reach for her hand. "I think that would be a good use of your talents. I do need a partner. Someone of strong heart and character that can appeal to the people, mortal or exalted, and get them to band together. You are a dear friend, one I admittedly find myself smitten with. Would you do me the honor of joining with me in marriage and become the Empress?" His face flushed as the magnitude of his request set in. "I... er... dont feel pressured to answer right away."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back