• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Now with all attempts at stealth gone, the four of you run through the corridors of the fortress. As you go, the three guards behind you are in hot pursuit with cudgels in hand, and as they chase you, they are shouting an alarm. Their hue and cry is starting to spread, and soon a large bell can be heard ringing, signaling a jailbreak attempt.

At this point, you burst out into a large courtyard that connects over to the stables. Looking out, you can see several lightly armed and armored guards, five of them to be exact, standing next to a group of horses that are tied up at a hitch. Once you are out in the open, one of the guards lets out a cry of, "A-A-Anathema!" At which point, he turns and runs for the exit in a desperate attempt to get away from the demonic thing from horror stories come to life in front of him, leaving only four guards with enough of a spine to stand their ground.

Join Battle rolls, please.

Outside of the prison and inside Viktor's workshop, the craftsman is just finishing up his work on the exquisite sword that you just made when you can hear the sound of the alarm bells ringing at the prison. It is most likely a sign that your fellow Exalts are busy inside, causing (or just getting into) trouble.

What do you do?

Kwops Kwops MasterDAF MasterDAF

Darian lets go of Holst and jumps to the front of the group, knowing that with her anima flaring up, she will be the obvious target for all of the guards' attacks. She readies her fans for the expected fight.
Join Battle Results: 2 successes

Both Awareness Charms are up and running, along with Iron Kettle Body for the duration of the scene.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Soak: 1L/2B - +1L/+1B from Exceptional Clothing, +3L/+6B from Pearlescent Filigree Defense (One Scene), +4A/+8L+8B from Iron Kettle Body (One Scene)
+4A/+8L/+8B from Iron Skin Concentration (Instant)

Willpower: 8 / 7

Essence: 3
Personal: 17 / 12
Peripheral: 38 / 19
Committed: 4

Viktor hangs up the finished blade, having tempered the steel through flash-cooling it in the water and fastening the decorations to the pommel. He smiles at his handiwork for a moment, then stops and frowns at the intruding sound of the ringing bells outside. Shaking his head in disbelief, he quickly gathers his equipment scattered about the workshop and secures it all to his person.

"What was it they said before? Something about being stealthy, and not needing a distraction?" He feels the familiar weight of his hammer as it slides into a leather loop hanging on the right side of his belt. "I just hope we're not too late."

Viktor locks up the workshop as he and (whoever else of the party is there) exit it, hoping the lock successfully deters would-be robbers while gone, then turns to his comrade(s). "Nothing quite like an evening jog and then breaking into a prison to test our endurance, right?" He begins making his way towards the prison, running at first but slowing down as they get close to the facility so that they don't draw undue attention if any guards are outside the entrance watching.

Aredin has not wavered in holding guard of the group at large, glaring down the now 4 fools between them and the horses. "I really don't want to have to hurt any of you, but I guess you aren't the smart ones to try and fight 4 Anathema at once."

[Made a roll in case it mattered to get these guys to stand down. For what it's worth even if I needed to roll Charisma over Manipulation for the intimidation effect, it'd be the same number of dice.]

Last edited:
Rashiid draws his bow, quickly nocking an arrow and leveling it at the guards to back up Aredin's threat, saying, "If I were you, I would just run. You will not survive this fight, I will ensure it."

With the threat of facing off against four Anathama, and the sight of Rashiid leveling his bow at them, and the blazing light of Darian, the four guards eye one another with obvious fear in their eyes. A moment later, one takes a step backwards, and that is the action that breaks the dam. They break and run, scattering in different directions, calling for help.

This leaves you with the five horses in front of you, and Holst nods in satisfaction. "Very good! Lets use these to get out of here. I would very much like to be out of here. I trust that everyone can ride?"

Darian shakes her head as she lowers her weapons to tuck them in her belt. "I cannot. That is a skill I've never had a need to learn. I'll have to ride double with someone."
Both Awareness Charms are up and running, along with Iron Kettle Body for the duration of the scene.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Soak: 1L/2B - +1L/+1B from Exceptional Clothing, +3L/+6B from Pearlescent Filigree Defense (One Scene), +4A/+8L+8B from Iron Kettle Body (One Scene)
+4A/+8L/+8B from Iron Skin Concentration (Instant)

Willpower: 8 / 7

Essence: 3
Personal: 17 / 12
Peripheral: 38 / 19
Committed: 4

Aredin ruffled the hair on the back of his head in a small bit of embarassment, "In a former life I think, but I wouldn't put any bets on my ability. I'll take my chances though."

Rashiid chuckles, "My training included many things, but that was not among them. Still, I can get out of the city in my own way. What matters now is that the three of you make it out in one piece. I will do what I can to cause confusion, but you must get away." looking around, he finds a nearby alleyway and climbs up to the rooftops, intending to keep an eye on any pursuers from above as he leaps from building to building towards the wall of the city. If he happens to cross paths with the rest of the circle, he'll tell them to hurry to the gates and meet up with the infiltration team outside the walls.

Aredin nods to Rashid and hops on one of the horses before securing the loot. "Don't worry about him, he can disappear easily enough. We need to take cover long enough for the light to recede or leave this place behind altogether."

Last edited:
So with the guards fleeing from the four of you, the way to the exit is now clear. Do you take the horses or flee on foot? Or do something else completely?

Also, the bright glow of Darian's anima is starting to fade, but she is still glowing brightly.

With Aredin taking a horse and Rashiid heading out on foot, Darian will see if she can double up with Dunbar, assuming he knows how to ride. "Lets move out of here and meet up with the others. Time to leave town."

Dunbar does know how to ride well enough to take one of the horses with Darian holding on tight behind him. In moments, you are riding out at a gallop, trying to get away from the prison.

Aredin, being uninitiated attempts to follow on horseback allowing millenia old memories take control of his muscles. Images, sounds, and scents of the old city bombard his mind as instinct and reflex seize the reigns of the commandeered steed and push it forward through the streets of Chiaroscuro.

Viktor (presumably with the other two party members) stands in the shadowed alley between a residence and a jewelry crafting business. He watches the front of the prison, anxiously trying to figure out the fate of the three infiltrators. "I haven't seen them appear out the front, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Especially if the Dragon-Blooded guard inside got the drop on them. For all we know, they could be chained up in a cell with Holst." He shakes his head. "If we don't see something soon, I'm gonna go up to the front gate and try my luck with the guards."

Aredin is barely able to stay on the back of the horse as he rides, but somehow he does stay in the saddle. Dunbar does a little better, and soon the three of you are on your way.

From your hiding point in the alley, you can clearly see the two horses come galloping out, one with a glowing Darian on the back of it.

Viktor smiled as the crew raced out on horseback, glad to see they were okay. His momentary smile faded quickly though as he remembered the dangerous situation they were in. Nothing like making a glowing exit. He notices that both Aredin and Darian can be seen riding past, but looking closer he realized the man Darian had her arms wrapped around was not Rashiid but a stranger. He looks worse for wear. I'm gonna guess that's probably Holst. Waving to his fellow Solars as they galloped ahead, Viktor ran forward to meet up with them.

Aredin calls out, barely staying in the saddle, "All clear. Meet us outside the gate with Viktor. I can't really stop this horse." With that he held onto the horse as it continued to gallop.

Rashiid follows along at his own pace, watching the rear as he makes his way towards the exit. As he watches Aredin struggle to control the beast he is on, he chuckles under his breath, making a mental note that he should find a tutor for himself at some point so the he doesn't look quite so silly.

As everyone makes the mad dash to get away and let Darian's anima die down, Dunbar does his best to keep Darian on the back of the horse as he works his way through the crowded city streets. He calls out to Darian and Aredin, "What is the plan now?"

Elsewhere, Viktor turns around to see a somewhat familiar figure coming up from behind you. After a moment of reflection, you realize its Aysik. He comes up to you. "I see that your friends were successful in getting Dunbar out of the lock-up. Good. Now, we just need to get your all out of the city in one piece. Do you have a plan in place to get out of here? If not, I might be able to help."

Aredin smiles, "We're gonna loot the ruins you found of course. We just need to reconnoiter first, preferably outside the town walls. Once we've cleared that place out I'll explain my plan for what comes next."

Viktor shook his head and placed his hands on his lower back. His chest heaved from the labor of breathing deep while continually running. "No plan besides run hard. Hopefully keep up with the horses." He stole a glance ahead, but was unable to find the horses or their riders anywhere in the crowd. "Which was obviously fated to fail." He looked back to Aysik and grinned slightly. "Let's try your plan, yeah?"

The large Sidereal gives a chuckle. "We just need to have everyone meet up somewhere out of the city, then I can use a transport spell of mine to move everyone to the cache with Dunbar giving out the directions, of course. Hmm. I know just the place. I'll send everyone directions on where to go, and we'll wait there for them to arrive. Is there anything you need before we go?"

As the three riders move through town, the glowing anima of Darian finally settles down, giving you a better chance to hide from any pursuit. When you pull the horses in and start to take stock of the situation, Aredin gets a visit from an Infallible Messenger from Aysik that gives you detailed directions on how to find a rendezvous point just outside of town at a distinctive rock formation. He tells you that he's with Viktor and Fei, and that they will be there about two hours from now, giving you plenty of time to find the location.

Rashiid does a bit better job of fading into the crowds than the three riders do, walking calmly away through the streets to avoid calling attention to himself. When you pause for a moment to look for any signs of pursuit, you suddenly notice a piece of paper that is in your pocket that wasn't there a moment ago. It gives detailed directions on where to meet everyone at a spot just outside of the city, and that Viktor, Fei and Aysik will be there in about two hours.

Darian lets out a relieved sigh as Holst pulls the reins back to ease the horses down from the headlong rush that they were on. I was never meant to be on a running horse. A wagon? Yes. Not a horse. When the sprite appears and talks to Aredin, she gives a smile. "Ah, excellent. I was hoping that our mysterious friend would arrive to answer some more questions for us, and it seems that we now have our chance."

Aredin continues to synchronize with his memories, trying to stabilize his balance on the horse as an unfamiliar song began to spew from his lips. Not really caring to be heard among the chaos he began to put some feeling into it to focus himself on navigating the sandy streets.

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning...

We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it...

[I've decided to spend that xp on 2 dots of ride after all. Luckily caste and favored dots have that 0 training perk.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back