• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
As Rashiid works on the lock, he can feel the tumblers finally line up with a slight 'click' and the door is now unlocked. When the door opens, you can see that there is quite the arsenal of weapons inside the room. Swords, cudgels, spears, and bows line the walls, along with dozens of sets of light and medium weight armor. At first glance, you don't see any of the artifact weapons, but there are a pair of large, ornate cabinets that is big enough to hold them at the far end of the room. The cabinets are not locked, and when you open the first one, you find not only the Long Powerbow, Diaklave, and Dire Lance, but four sets of heavy manacles made of Soulsteel that are probably meant to be able to hold Exalts, a Collar of Dawns Cleansing Light, and three sets of Hearthstone Bracers, two Jade and one Orichalcum.

In the second cabinet contains two sets of Jade Lamallar armor, along with one Jade Reinforced Breastplate.

Inside Viktor's workshop, you are able to craft the sword in record time, crafting a beautiful blade with near perfect balance. Crafting the sword will take up some time, even with your skilled touch. But, you seem to have some time on your hands as you wait for the three inside the prison to make their way out.

Aredin snags the Daiklave, reinforced breastplate, and the set of orichalcum hearthstone bracers to attune for easy carrying and would hope the lamellars would be easier to use for Rashiid and Darian who relied more on discretion. He'd pull a sack out from his shirt to dump the soul steel manacles in, assuming those would be handy at some point if he lived long enough to see his plans come to fruition. With a final move he'd attempt to strap the direlance to his back assuming neither of his companions could or would use it. "I'll take the Orichalcum in case someone ignorant pegs the wearer as a Solar. Unless one of you really wants these bracers."

After dumping the unconscious guard on the floor, Darian thinks for a moment, then nods. "I can't use any of the weapons or armor; my martial skills don't include them. But I can use the Bracers." She slips them onto her arms, feeling her Essence flowing into them and making the heavy metal bands resonate with her. She pulls her long sleeves down to try and cover the Bracers as best as she can, knowing that when another big fight happens, it will be a bit pointless.
Both Awareness Charms are up and running, along with Iron Kettle Body for the duration of the scene.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Soak: 1L/2B - +1L/+1B from Exceptional Clothing, +3L/+6B from Pearlescent Filigree Defense (One Scene), +4A/+8L+8B from Iron Kettle Body (One Scene)
+4A/+8L/+8B from Iron Skin Concentration (Instant)

Willpower: 8 / 7

Essence: 3
Personal: 17 / 8
Peripheral: 38
Committed: 4

Rashiid grins as he picks up the Powerbow, "Now this...this is a weapon." donning one of the suits of lamellar and the hearthstone bracers as well, letting them attune before moving to the door and taking a quick peek before looking back, whispering, "We must move quickly. Holst still lies in chains."

Stashing any unattuned artifacts he can fit in the sack, Aredin attempts to stow it to be as silent as possible, creeping behind Rashiid toward the next objective.

With the various Artifacts acquired and attuned to your Essence, you are now on the move once more. Dunbar Holst's cell is one level up, but with the map of the prison, you are able to find your way to one of the many stairwells to continue on your path. Thanks to Darian's radar hearing, you are able to avoid several different groups of guards walking through the halls by ducking into side rooms until they have gone by. Once you hit the upper level, you can tell that this is a cell block just from the smell of unwashed bodies and misery.

Darian can hear that there are guards on this level, so any unusual noises will quickly draw their attention to you. According to your map, Holst is five doors down on your left. When you get there, the cell door is locked, obviously. Go ahead and make another roll to pick that lock.

Quietly, Rashiid kneels down near the lock, carefully inserting his picks into the tumblers, manipulating them with all the skill of his craft. Feeling the give of each of the tumblers in succession, he halts when he hits a particularly rough spot, carefully taking off his turban and draping it over the lock as he continues to work, the loose cloth muffling the clicking sounds as he moves the less well-oiled parts of the mechanism.

With just a bit of work, Rashiid is able to pop the lock on the door and it swings open to reveal a somber Dunbar sitting in a small 6x9 foot cell. He looks up in surprise at the sight of the three of you at the entrance to his cell. "By all the Gods! I had not dared to believe that you were going to be able to get me out of here in anything other than a pine box! I am forever in your debt!" He stands up and rushes to the door and throws his arms around each of you in turn.

As all of this is going on, Darian can hear the sounds of three sets of foot steps coming down the hall towards you. There are few places to hide here, so unless you get moving quickly, you'll be spotted.

Darian lets out a low hiss. "We are about to be discovered! Three guards are coming this way! Time to move!" She grabs Holst by the arm and begins pulling him along in the opposite direction.
Both Awareness Charms are up and running, along with Iron Kettle Body for the duration of the scene.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Soak: 1L/2B - +1L/+1B from Exceptional Clothing, +3L/+6B from Pearlescent Filigree Defense (One Scene), +4A/+8L+8B from Iron Kettle Body (One Scene)

Peripheral: 38

Aredin debates whether or not to shout a false alarm for another floor but thinks better of it. He looks to Rashiid gesturing for him to take care of securing the door behind them silently before following after Darian and Holst.

Rashiid nods, carefully closing the door before hurrying after the rest of the infiltration team, carefully watching behind him to make sure nobody spots them. As they round a corner, he begins leading the group to their extraction point, using Darian's superb hearing in order to get them around the patrols.

Moving quickly as possible while still being stealthy, the four of you make your way through the innards of the prison. Once again, Darian can hear the sound of footsteps, but this time, its coming from in front of you. With three people coming up from behind, and a forth in front of you, there is nowhere to hide before you are spotted.

What do you do?

Aredin hands the fake shackles to Holst, whispers "resume cover Darian," and steps forward, channeling every ounce of insufferable entitlement he'd ever experienced in his lifetime. When the one man comes into view, Jade breastplate reflecting into the man's very eyes as he would stare into visage of one presumed to be his better. Aredin states in a commanding tone, surely echoing off the sandstone walls of the desert fortress "Get a move on prisoners, I'd like to reach the office before the next sundown... Lazy heathens... On your way soldier, my patience is wearing thin and these maggots don't need an excuse to MOVE ANY SLOWER." he ended pouting like a pompous child.

[Rolling Manipulation+Presence with a full excellency and Irresistable Salesman Spirit with the intent to convince them to get out of our way. spending 11 personal motes and a will for a free success after the roll that's 22 successes]

Last edited:
With three guards coming up from behind and the one in the front, Aredin works his magic with his bluff. The three coming up from behind stop dead in their tracks and stare open mouthed, then they suddenly decide that they have something very important to do somewhere else. Turning around, they heel and toe out of there.

The other person coming up from in front of you is also wearing Jade armor and is wearing a Daiklave on her hip. A mid-sized woman with green tinted hair, she carries herself as if she were ten feet tall; typical behavior for a Dragon-Blooded. She stands there for a moment eyeing Aredin, then says, "Where are you going with this rabble? I was not aware of any prisoner transfers."

"This one was involved in a brawl and just arrived tonight," Aredin stated as he lazily gestured to Darian. "This other one has been here awhile for murder, but never had a trial. Magistrate wanted them for questions in light of recent altercations. Thinks someone might be stirring something up in that part of town and falsifying evidence and testimony." Aredin looked to Rashiid to verify as he was still in perfect uniform disguise. "Either way, I want little to nothing to do with these miscreants aside from getting them to answer honestly. I'm quite done with all this process and procedure, so if you'll excuse me, we'll be on our way to the magistrate so that these two can give their account on the record."

Darian does her best to look like an angry prisoner, with her hands kept together pretending that they are locked up in manacles. Every part of her being is tensed, ready to lash out at the Dragon-Blood in front of them if Aredin's bluff doesn't work.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Peripheral: 38 / 34

The Exalt in font of you frowns even more. "What are you talking about?" She points at Darian. "This prison is no drunk tank to house someone that has gotten into a brawl. and him!" She points at Dunbar. "I saw his trial. He was convicted and sent here to await execution! Who are you?" Her hand goes to the hilt of her sword, obviously not buying your story.

Darian grinds her teeth together as she hears the response from the Dragon-Blooded in front of them. Shit. This is not going well. Time to act. Channeling her Essence, she pulls out her fans and flings them at the woman, using her energy to enhance the fans into truly deadly weapons sharp enough to cut through steel and keep on going, then follows up with her long sash, cracking it like a whip.
Activating Lethal Paper Fan Attack [I believe it is 3m per weapon for a total of 9m] and Flurry of August Leaves Concentration [6m] to enhance my two fans and sash with increased Accuracy [+3 to hit]. I make a single Martial Arts attack against her DV, and my target suffers an Onslaught penalty for being attacked by multiple props. That gives me a pool of 19 dice to hit.

9 Successes to hit for the first strike. Not my best roll.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Personal: 17 / 12
Peripheral: 38 / 19

Last edited:
I'll give that a two die stunt. Since the Exalt was only somewhat on guard, her Dodge DV is only 3, so you hit so far with 6, 7 and 8 successes. Her Soak is 8L. Go ahead and roll your damage.

Damage comes out to 3 dice, 4 dice, and for the sash its 9 dice before the Stunt Bonus. I'll roll that first.

Added all up, it is a total of 10L.

Darian lashes out suddenly, the two fans cutting deep into the Dragon-Blooded's flesh with a spray of blood. If it were just these two strikes, the other woman wouldn't be in danger. But when you follow up with the sash, that is just too much for the other Exalt to bear. With a bloody gurgle, her eyes roll back in her head and she falls face first onto the floor with a crash.

But now Darian's anima has ignited brightly, filling the dark corridor with light. Startled shouts can be heard from the three mortal guards that had turned and started to walk away. Surprise has now been lost, but the threat of running into a fully prepared Dragon-Blood has just vanished.

Do you stand and fight the three guards coming up rapidly from behind, or do you run?

Darian doesn't have time to linger on the thought that she just took another person's life, even the life of a Dragon-Blooded that would have most certainly have tried to kill them if given a chance. Now it is time to run before they are overwhelmed by sheer numbers of guards. "Run!" Grabbing Dunbar's hand, she pulls him along away from the guards behind them. His life is critical to save.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ]

Personal: 17 / 12
Peripheral: 38 / 19

Aredin watches the grim scene unfold, the weight of the failure hitting him in the chest for a moment. The sound of Darian's yell jars him into motion, reaching down to swipe the Daiklave and sheath before bolting after the rest of the crew. 'I have to be better next time.' echoed in his mind over and over as they sprinted through the hallways and stairwells. of the fortress. The Daiklave he had attuned was drawn, ready to intercede if other fools crossed the path of fate tied to Holst's life. He struggled to reach even pace with Darian, making sure to help guide and defend where necessary. "Well, Holst... Welcome to the crew."

[Yes, I am maintaining defend other if possible while fleeing]

Rashiid rolls his eyes, drawing his shiny new bow and sprinting after the crew, constantly looking over his shoulder and calculating the best time to lay into their pursuers. 'No, don't maintain cover, please. Not like we had a solid out or anything. Then again, better than taking that fight head-on, I suppose.' he thinks, but he doesn't voice these concerns aloud. Better to just wait until he had a free moment when there weren't guards bearing down on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back