• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Sirocco uses the opportunity of still being new enough that she has no official responsibility, and asks Rogosh to walk with her, and tell her about being a Lunar in the older days, and to perhaps join her and Annika in spying on the refugees

Darian is beaming, nearly in tears as she sees the faces of the people of Gwynnin around her for the first time. It takes her a while to slowly work her way through the crowd because she is constantly stopping to greet her friends as she goes along. When they finally get to the manor house, she flops down in a seat with a sigh. "My goodness! It is good to be back. Annika? Of course you are free to go. Getting some solid information on what is going on out there with these refugees and the Dragon Blooded host following them is going to be critical for us."

"I would think that it might behoove us to reach out to these refugees to hear their story before they are on our doorstep."

"Wasn't that the plan back in Rathess? I, Sirocco and perhaps Rogosh would try and find the refugees, and see what we could learn about them before they arrived?" Annika asked while she nodded in agreement, while also waiting to see what Aredin thought of her suggestion.

Aredin tosses the globe to Annika, "I'd like to keep the hearthstone this time, do you have one that can power it? I have a ton of work to catch up on that I could probably use the help with."

Once they were walking back out into town, Aredin leaned over to whisper to the first loyal officer he could recognize, "I understand there are some prisoners still waiting on an audience, please see they are well fed and comfortable. I hope to settle the matter soon, but there is the urgent matter that brought us here to be tended to first."

Once at home, Aredin comically turned his pockets over and let the contents pour out a river of random oddities into a storage bin near his office. He gave an apologetic look to the servants. "There's been quite a bit consumed here, When we leave again to tend to our new friends I'll have to stock up again. Thanks for all your help." Aredin looked over to the ledgers stacking on his desk, wanting to curse his lot in life. "I really need a retainer to delegate the books to..."

Ragnar had put a lot of faith in Jembei, and she knew it. It made her heart heavy to know that she was already letting him down... in her haste here, having ridden her horse too hard, it had broken its leg. She had left it there and began running on foot, refusing to stop for anything else but food and water.

Finally, she has made. She was a large and muscular woman, scantily clothed in leather and cloth. She covered in muck and sweat, and had ditched everything she had been carrying to make better time. Even her sword had been flung away to make her lighter.

Even upon seeing the sight of the gate, she did not slow down until she gate forced her too. She crashed against it with her muscles burning and chest heaving. Somehow. She was still able force out words. "Emergency! *pant* Help! *gasp* Message!"

In the hand she was using to prop herself up against the gate, was a rolled up piece of parchment. In it was written:

Leader of Gwynnin, me and my people are fleeing the Wyld Hunt. They are behind us now, but it is all we can do to stay ahead of them. I have heard of you, and your sympathies to the Sun, the same Sun that has graced me, and humbly ask you to aid my people.

I understand that I bring danger to your steps, and I will take full responsibility for it, when you deem the time is right. My people can defeat these Dragon-Blooded with the assistance you can provide upon their arrival.

I do not expect you to open the gates to us, given the danger approaching, but I have a plan that can divide their forces for you to take advantage of.

Should you choose not to trust us, at least take in our children so that they do not suffer the same fate as we should the worst come to pass as we lead them away.

I put my trust in you,
Ragnar of the Northland

*there was a series of drawings at the bottom, describing the plan that the Chieftan was going to enact. It detailed the feint route, the staying behind of the chief, the signal horn, and the turn to push back, as the only thing the city would need to do which is send a group out of the gate to assist once the enemy force had been split*

It was messy and rushed, and clearly a first draft. He was not flowy or fancy with words, nor was his writing pretty but Ragnar had hoped it could at least convey the point.

_________

It was dead now. The horse. Animals were taking advantage of the defenseless beast when the scout had crossed it. Despite the mangled corpse, the twisted leg and the terrain gave enough clue as to what happened. A broken leg and she took ahead on foot, according to the hunters.

She seems to be alive... Ragnar had been growing quite worried that she hadn't return. It seemed it was a very ill setback... unfortunately there was little choice but to continue as planned. He had put faith in Jembei for a reason, she would get there one way or the other.

They were not far... less than half a days travel. But that they were still going meant that their traps had been working to keep them slowed down. We may yet have time to prepare upon reaching the city, so long as nothing slows us down.

Then it would be time to see if the Sun would still shine on them.

In the central room where most of the group have gathered in the manor hall, the older Dragon Blood named Apple hastily enters, carrying a rolled up parchment. "My Lords, I come from the gate where a messenger from the refugees has just arrived carrying a message for you. She is out in the vestibule, waiting for you to speak with her if you wish. But, here is the message that she carried."

She offers up the rolled up parchment to Aredin. The note is quite clear; it seems that this Solar is wanting aid for his people that are following him, and he has some plan on what to do if you are willing to help.
Leader of Gwynnin, me and my people are fleeing the Wyld Hunt. They are behind us now, but it is all we can do to stay ahead of them. I have heard of you, and your sympathies to the Sun, the same Sun that has graced me, and humbly ask you to aid my people.

I understand that I bring danger to your steps, and I will take full responsibility for it, when you deem the time is right. My people can defeat these Dragon-Blooded with the assistance you can provide upon their arrival.

I do not expect you to open the gates to us, given the danger approaching, but I have a plan that can divide their forces for you to take advantage of.

Should you choose not to trust us, at least take in our children so that they do not suffer the same fate as we should the worst come to pass as we lead them away.

I put my trust in you,
Ragnar of the Northland

*there was a series of drawings at the bottom, describing the plan that the Chieftan was going to enact. It detailed the feint route, the staying behind of the chief, the signal horn, and the turn to push back, as the only thing the city would need to do which is send a group out of the gate to assist once the enemy force had been split*
Apple stands, quietly waiting for your response.

Viktor stands nearby, patiently waiting to hear the contents of the letter as well. If these refugees were allowed within the city walls, he needed to know so that he could task Koharu with securing the workshop against potential vandalism.

Aredin unrolls the missive and quickly scans over it before depositing it in a pocket. "In short, it says the Wyld Hunt is after a Solar among the refugees. His name is Ragnar of the Northland. They heard of us and seek shelter in our nation, which is exactly what they shall get." Aredin explained with a grin. "That's why we came here after all, is it not? Annika, you have my blessing to approach them openly on my behalf if you so chose. The rest of us will ensure these good folks have a place to rest when they arrive. Let's hop to it!"

Aredin stands and begins to move out into the city and summon the elders and guard captains to disseminate plans to address the incoming masses and prepare for battle. Yet again, Aredin would seem eager to step out to the front line and draw the ire away from his mortal charges. "If the Realm approaches us in any manner that is not submissive, be forewarned... I will make an example of them. No Sidereal, no Dragon-Blooded, nor anyone else will be able to throw their weight around to oppress my people so long as I draw breath."

Darian beams at the sight of her husband taking charge like this. "I would also be willing to go out to these people and speak with this Ragnar. If it is some kind of trap, having the two of us there will give us a better chance of getting out of it in one piece. If there is any whispers of betrayal, I may be able to hear them long before it happens."

Aredin wrapped an arm around Darian's waist and gave her an affectionate look. "I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's take a detachment to meet them and hold the line. I want to make sure none get past us. This time, we will be the ones pulling them into our trap. In the event some of the rabble seek to go around us, however... we will have the bulk of our strength here ready to pick them off." Aredin grinned ear to ear, ready to jump back into the fray. "Now... where's my horse?"

So we have Darian, Annika and Aredin heading out to meet this Ragnar. Are you going out by yourselves, or do you take anyone else with you?

[Well, initially I had assumed Annika would have left to make initial contact, then the two of us would arrive with reinforcements on the ground. Since that's not the case, it might as well just be the four of us in the globe to make contact while the home front prepares shelter. Just seems simpler that way.]

Last edited:
[Works for me. Though earlier I was under the impression that Annika would first head back to her gang's headquarters inside the town to sort through the intelligence found in Rathess and Chaing Dav, and see if anything had happened in Gwynnin while the Solars were gone. Then she and Sirocco would meet with Ragnar and his refugees while in disguise, using the Globe of Transportation to reach them quickly.]

Since it appears that the three will be flying out together, Darian will go ahead and ask the worn out messenger to be brought to the courtyard. For this appearance, the Zenith will have simple but regal robes on from her Infinite Resplendence Amulet. Easy enough to change her wardrobe if needed.

Annika would hand the Globe of Transportation back to Aredin. "Even if you're taking horses, you might want this in case you need to get back here safely." she says.

Aredin takes the globe and shakes his head. "There will be no need for horses if we travel together. If we're all ready let's go ahead and get moving, messenger in tow."

[I believe that makes it, Annika, Aredin, Darian, Sirocco and the messenger from Ragnar's group. For now, Aredin is not using the Appearance bonus from the amulet. Saving that for later.]

"No objections here. Let's go and pay these visitors a visit." said Annika.

With the decision made, things move along quickly to move out and meet with the leader of this group that in on the run from the Wyld Hunt. The messenger, now somewhat recovered from the madcap run to deliver her words, is now waiting for you in the courtyard. One of the guards that is waiting with her bows deep and introduces the Lord and Lady of Gwynnin, and the Noble Exalted Annika and Sirocco. The messenger's eyes practically bug out of her head at the thought of being in the same company as four of the great Celestial Exalted! Then, as the poor woman is looking for some horses or a carriage to ride in, Aredin pulls out the Globe of Transport and activates it!

When the messenger is told that she is to actually fly in a First Age Artifact, she almost faints! This is not something even the most wild dreamers would never come up with, and it is happening to her! It is almost too much to believe!

How do you want to approach this Ragnar and his group? Are any of you visibly carrying any weapons or armor?

Rykon Rykon Psychie Psychie jaydude jaydude Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws

D. Rex D. Rex

As you lead your people along, trying your best to keep a safe pace for them, a shout comes up from the crowd and people start pointing forward. Looking ahead, you can see that there is a giant golden globe that is flying towards your caravan! It is slowing down from its earlier speedy approach, and as it lands a short distance in front of your people, a door opens up on the side and five people come climbing out of it. Of the five, you recognize the messenger that you had sent ahead to Gwynnin with your introduction letter.

Darian is not wearing any armor, nor is she carrying any visible weapons. Her outfit is one of a robe of white with gold trim, with the Caste Mark for the Zenith Exalted upon her right breast. She is carrying a silk fan in one hand, and is idly waving it at her face as she walks.

She will advance alongside of her husband as they approach the crowd, her head held high, and will spend 5m from Personal Essence to activate her two Awareness Charms (both scene long) to keep a careful ear out for any word of trouble.

With a pleasant smile upon her face, she scans the crowd to see if one stands out as the Solar Exalt that they are here to see.

Sirocco would actually take on her hawk spirit shape when meeting the messenger, and would stay in that form on the journey, and when we arrive.
Taking wing as soon as they land, sirocco would go up and scan the area, to see if there is an ambush.

Annika would wear her breastplate, her short Daiklaves and her throwing knives, though she was keeping all her weapons sheathed. She hoped that she wouldn't have to use them, but she wasn't going to go in unarmed, a precaution that she hoped the arriving Solar would understand. But if Aredin asked, she'd happily hand them over to let him keep in his magic coat.

Aside from her armaments, Annika would make sure to bring and wear her orichalcum bracers and amulet, her Gemstone of Surface Thoughts inserted into the latter.

Aredin openly wore his Reaper Daiklave on his hip, sheathed. Stepping forward he called out with a shout. "I am Aredin, the Celestial King of this Earth. I am here for the one called Ragnar. Please step forward and we will discuss the annihilation of this nuisance Wyld hunt within my domain."

The news of the strange object approaching was enough to cause Ragnar to rush to the front, in case this was some sort of dragon blooded ploy. He had almost expected it to come crashing into them, until it started slowing down.

He watch it land and open, a transport of the first age, it seemed. One face among the newly come group stood out immediately. Jembei. So she did make it, that was a relief. That would mean these folk were from Gwynnin. Whether that too was a relief was to be seen.

Ragnar would have no ambush forces of his own about the area, as this was unexpected. At most, he had hunters and trappers on the flanks and behind him setting traps as they had been.

Ragnar was geared like he was expecting to be at war in the next half hour. The towering man wore his full heavy artifact armor, with his perfected boots and kata bracers. A hearthstone of of resilient bamboo fixed in the center of his breastplate, but had no caste markings on him. Slung over his shoulder was another artifact, the Atlas. The man wore no helmet, exposing his bearded face to the world. On his person, Ragnar had no weapons. Just bare arms that weren't even graced with any armor aside from the bracers. But given his size, they might be able to hit as hard as any mace.

The young man who addressed himself as Aredin stepped forward and began to speak. With the words being what he has hoped to hear. It seemed like they had come to assist. The King himself it seemed. The one beside him, the Queen perhaps. Both were certainly dressed as such.

Ragnar too stepped forward. "I am Ragnar." He announced, walking out to meet this King. "You have heard our plea. I had not expected you to come out to meet us. Thank you. The hunt is not far behind us. They are a few hours distance, but at their pace less than a day. Our time to prepare is limited. I have sent you my plans with Jembei. But with your presence here now, we can draft a new together should you have something else in mind."

Darian offers up a regal curtsy to the fellow Solar. "Greetings, Ragnar. I am Darian, Priestess of the Sun of the Zenith Caste and wife to Aredin, my king. When we had heard of your plight, we came as soon as we could to see to this situation for ourselves. A fellow Solar and those that follow him in peril? That is a call we could not ignore. I must inform you that Gwynnin is even now preparing for a fight, but let us hope that the Wyld Hunt on your heels will be easily dealt with. I am not much for the arts of war, but thanks to my gifts, I am quite capable of holding my own."

She looks past the big man and eyes the tired people as they gawk. "What is the condition of your followers? Do any need medical attention? Food and water? We do have some healers in Gwynnin, and supplies enough to share."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back