• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Dark god?" Annika asked, narrowing her eyes at that last answer from the Abyssal.

"Dark god?" Annika asked, narrowing her eyes at that last answer from the Abyssal.
She nods. "He is a spirit, and is very old and powerful. I don't know where his sanctum is, but it must be near the city. He never leaves Filial Wisdom alone for long. That one is to unstable to be left to his own devices for long."

She nods. "He is a spirit, and is very old and powerful. I don't know where his sanctum is, but it must be near the city. He never leaves Filial Wisdom alone for long. That one is to unstable to be left to his own devices for long."

Annika nodded. She decided not to press her for any more details; if Han Tha was a god, Dunbar would probably know more about him.

"Besides Han Tha, where do all of these essence users reside within Rathess?" She asked.

Darian ponders for a moment. "If we plan on confronting a army of the dead, I will need to master Charms to be able to detect and hit spirits, because at the moment, I cannot do so. But I am thinking that Dunbar has the best idea with his suggestion to stay here and deal with this Goblin King, and help our new friends, the Dragon Kings."

"My plan is simply to meet and talk if we think this Deathlord would abide the rules of a proper parley. I think Annika could discern such things from our captive, willing or not." Aredin leans back in his seat and fiddles with an old pen in his hand. "Regardless, dealing with a Solar sponsored by a deathlord is not a prospect I enjoy. Let's see if we can turn the tables and make an ally that can tame the underworld in our stead."

Annika nodded. She decided not to press her for any more details; if Han Tha was a god, Dunbar would probably know more about him.

"Besides Han Tha, where do all of these essence users reside within Rathess?" She asked.
"Both Filial Wisdom and Shadow That Walks have rooms inside the Pyramid of the Sun. Most of the time, you will be able to find them there."

Sirocco cursed beneath her breat that she had no means to send a message to the Solars about this.

Flying in low, she tries to get a closer look on these creatures, and to see whether she can spot Filial Wisdom, or anyone else who might be an essence user.

Her hawk form gives a screech, as her essence floods through it's eyes, and things hidden are suddenly revealed. She can see some of the small gods of places, even though they are hidden from any view, it takes her a bit by surprise, and she flaps her wings harder to remain flying from that brief shock.

Learning, and activating, Eye of the Cat:

Cost: 6m
Mins: Perception 4, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Fury-OK
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Any Perception Excellency
Stewards can see the impossible. The character automatically notices anything within eyeshot, earshot or scent range that is not currently a valid target for a Perception roll based on one of those senses. If it denies the Lunar’s player any roll whatsoever to notice or detect something, the Lunar sees it perfectly. This includes immaterial beings such as gods and demons. It also covers targets so perfectly invisible, scentless or silent that there is no chance for a Perception roll. Against targets that the character could notice, even if the possibility is slight, this Charm provides no benefit. Add the Lunar’s (Essence) in automatic successes when another Charm contests this effect.
Activating this Charm in conjunction with Relentless Lunar Fury provides its benefits for the duration.

Last edited:
After returning to the tower, Heaven went off to a secluded area, noting that Sirocco had wandered off. He was curious what she was up to, but trusted she wouldn't get herself into too much trouble. Taking a seat, Heaven closed his eyes and turned his focus inward. When he did, his essence bubbled up to meet him and he dived in. The amount within him was meager, reduced greatly by his futile attempts to be of use earlier. Or at least he thought at the time. Heaven frowned and dove even further. Despite the lack of contents, he could feel the depths of the container reaching even further than they ever did. Even though he'd felt weakened slightly, Heaven's earlier attempt had showed him his well of essence was growing greater than before.

The young Twilight stood, excited to know that he had nearly made all of the progress he'd need to achieve that. He grinned, and brushed his hands clean, heading off to find their new prisoner...and Annika.

As he went, he turned his mind to his partner, reaching out to Sirocco, wherever she was. "How are you doing, my feathered angel?"

Last edited:
Sirocco cursed beneath her breat that she had no means to send a message to the Solars about this.

Flying in low, she tries to get a closer look on these creatures, and to see whether she can spot Filial Wisdom, or anyone else who might be an essence user.

Her hawk form gives a screech, as her essence floods through it's eyes, and things hidden are suddenly revealed. She can see some of the small gods of places, even though they are hidden from any view, it takes her a bit by surprise, and she flaps her wings harder to remain flying from that brief shock.

Learning, and activating, Eye of the Cat:

Cost: 6m
Mins: Perception 4, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Fury-OK
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Any Perception Excellency
Stewards can see the impossible. The character automatically notices anything within eyeshot, earshot or scent range that is not currently a valid target for a Perception roll based on one of those senses. If it denies the Lunar’s player any roll whatsoever to notice or detect something, the Lunar sees it perfectly. This includes immaterial beings such as gods and demons. It also covers targets so perfectly invisible, scentless or silent that there is no chance for a Perception roll. Against targets that the character could notice, even if the possibility is slight, this Charm provides no benefit. Add the Lunar’s (Essence) in automatic successes when another Charm contests this effect.
Activating this Charm in conjunction with Relentless Lunar Fury provides its benefits for the duration.
With your Essence enhanced sight, you can quickly tell that the Goblin King is not down in the streets with the rabble surrounding the Tower. In fact, you can see a large figure wearing golden armor watching from the base of the Pyramid of the Sun. He is wearing a massive Grand Daiklave on his back, and is obviously the fabled Goblin King.

You do recall that this army is supposed to number around a thousand, so most of the troops are not visible here. The ones you do see are not advancing, but are settling in to keep watch on the Tower.

"Thanks. I should be back with more questions very soon." Annika said with a pleasant, practically mocking smile, knowing just how much advantage she had over the Abyssal. Then she left the room, and went to where Darian, Aredin, Viktor and Dunbar were sat. Noticing the bottle of wine Darian had taken out, Annika poured herself a glass while telling the others she had learnt from the Voice regarding Filial Wisdom's troop numbers, and the fact that he had another Abyssal on his side.

"That aside, she also mentioned one more Essence user that Filial Wisdom's working with; a dark god named Han Tha." Annika said, before looking at the Sidereal. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about him would you, Dunbar?"

With the mention of Han-Tha, Dunbar frowns. "That name sounds familiar. Hold on a moment." He holds out his hand once more and the little Pattern Spider pops out again. After a minute, he looks surprised. "Damn. We may want to check with Aysik, but this god is a wanted criminal from back in the First Age. He is very slippery, and has been able to evade the extermination teams every time. This is some serious bad news."

With the meager knowledge she gathered, Sirocco contemplated going back to the Solars, but her urge to bring more info got the better of her, and she sped towards the figure in gold at the base of the pyramid.

if Han-Tha is incorporeal in that vicinity, she ould be able to see him, thanks to her Eyes of the Cat

"Well... I personally don't have any means of dealing with spirits in combat. Shame that the Immaculates would sooner kill us than exorcize this one. They're right next door to boot." Aredin added with a chuckle and a shrug. "There's still the matter of this Deathlord too. No offense to our hosts here, but given the level of force that Mask of Winters brought to bare on Thorns, I'd say she is still easily the power player right now from what intel we have thus far. Especially considering she had two agents infiltrate Filial's confidence, she either has plenty of resources to spare or plenty of confidence she can manipulate the board with those two... So, Annika, I want you to ascertain what we should expect should we attempt diplomatic contact with Whisper's master. If we can expect safe passage, it may be worth it to get a read on who we're dealing with." Aredin paused for a drink, "We may have to break the curse if we cannot get the answer we need. So be prepared."

Darian looks at Dunbar. "Do you have a way to get in touch with Aysic? If this dark spirit is as bad as you are saying, we will need help to deal with him."

With the meager knowledge she gathered, Sirocco contemplated going back to the Solars, but her urge to bring more info got the better of her, and she sped towards the figure in gold at the base of the pyramid.

if Han-Tha is incorporeal in that vicinity, she ould be able to see him, thanks to her Eyes of the Cat
When Sirroco flies in closer, her Perception Charm can see a slight haze around the large Solar. The only thing that comes to mind is that it must be the telltale signs of this spirit inhabiting the Solar, perhaps possessing him. Looking about, you spot humans and goblins, but no other Exalts of any kind are visible. The humans seem to be fawning over Filial, doing what they can to brown nose the large man.

Darian looks at Dunbar. "Do you have a way to get in touch with Aysic? If this dark spirit is as bad as you are saying, we will need help to deal with him."
Dunbar nods. "I'll contact him right away." He pulls out from a pocket a small braided rope with three knots tied in it. When he unties one of three knots, a small messenger sprite appears. The Sidereal narrates a message to Aysik that lasts several minutes, going over Han-Tha and the Abyssal. When he's done, he sends the messenger on is way. "There. That is done. I hope to hear from him soon."

Two minutes later, a spirit arrives in the chamber. In Aysic's voice, you hear him say, "I am on my way with some friends. Expect us in three days." Then this spirit vanishes. Dunbar chuckles. "Well, it can't be said that Aysik is indecisive."

Aredin held his chin in thought for a moment at the news of Aysik's involvement. "So we need to bunker down for three days huh? What are the odds we will need to clear the way to the heavenly gate in time for them to pass through?"

After further thought of mapping the pieces on the board in his mind, a flash of memory struck the young lord. "Leeayta, Relza, and Dunbar... I seem to recall mention of a cadre of gold lions guarding tombs in the city. We have solid intel that a fugitive of heaven is here, possessing a mad Solar. You all know a route where we can approach them covertly? I don't want to leave our allies undefended in the interim between now and Aysik's arrival, but we'll need all the help we can get."

Leeayta nods. "We have several hidden paths out of the Tower that lead into the undercity and from there back to the surface. The tombs you speak of are in the Human Octet, and there are a total of four of the Celestial Lions in there at all times. It shouldn't be hard to get there unseen."

Darian asks, "Shall we make plans to go speak with them tonight after dark? Or is it safer to travel during the day?"

"Well, I personally prefer to sneak around at night, when it's harder for my enemies to see me, and most folks are sleeping. But that was just in South Landing; I don't know what the rules are here." Annika said, looking at Leeyata. She chose not to ask about the strange terms - Heavenly Gate and Celestial Lions - that had been mentioned earlier, and which she didn't understand.

Viktor sat on the floor across the room, his back leaning against the smooth stone as the craftsman fiddled with the small Jade sculpture in his hands. The front of the elephant was beginning to take shape, and featured two oblong flat planes similar to teardrops extending from the sides of the head. It also sported a pair of forelegs flanking what might eventually become a winding trunk. He lifted the carved Jade animal to his lips and blew, using his breath to knock free some of the small Jade shavings clinging to its surface. Happy with his progress, the Twilight crafter pocketed the project and lifted himself to his feet.

"I don't know how much use I'll be concerning Celestial Lions," Viktor expressed to the assembled crew. "Would you rather I remain here while you handle the diplomacy, Aredin?" He shrugged. "I can't imagine you'd need me in your entourage for such a task. Instead, I could stay back to study the remaining artifacts scattered about the tower while you all negotiate, and I'd be on hand to defend the tower in case Filial Wisdom decides to come knocking in your absence."

Aredin shrugged, "If that's what you want, fine by me. Hopefully I won't have to make too many concessions with the Lions, but we don't know their full motives yet." Or much at all about them other than folk tales. "I reckon Dunbar can fill us in on what to expect while we make our way there."

Darian looks over at Viktor. "Just be careful here. I would hate to lose you; you are a vital part of our Circle."

To the rest of the assembled people, spirits and Dragon Kings, she says, "I would hope that someone knows where we can find Celestial Lions in the city that we can get to without facing an army to do so. It would be unpleasant and redundant to fight our way through an army to get hemp fighting an army."

Leeayta points over at a mural on the wall that depicts the city. "Here is the Human Octet, and the graveyard for the honored Exalts buried here is right here." She points with a sharp claw to a spot on the map. "There is a trio of the Lions there, guarding the mortal remains and the grave goods interred with them. They are sworn to protect the tombs, so as long as you don't make any effort to get into the tombs, they should be at least willing to listen to you. Now, there is a Gateway to Yu-Shan inside the Pyramid of the Rising Sun, but it has been sealed shut from the inside. Getting the guards to open it up would be a real challenge."

Dunbar nods in agreement. He is about to add something to the conversation when Sirroco comes flying into the Tower in a hurry.

Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws

Users who are viewing this thread

Back