Viewpoint Tired of these RP topics

Personal bias: 90% of the interesting, outside-the-box RPs seem to crop in the dice section, and the other 10% are underdeveloped, niche, or mistimed.
What I mean by that is I have posted an interest check one month and got no bites, then posted it again six weeks later to a flurry of interest.
So you might need to scour the interest checks regularly, maybe with specific keywords. to see if anything of interest has popped up lately.

Oh, and discussion threads about the kind of RPs that interest you can help make connections with users you can follow or ask to tag you when they execute one of their ideas.

Last edited:
Oh, and discussion threads about the kind of RPs that interest you can help make connections with users you can follow or ask to tag you when they execute one of their ideas.

This is legitimate and should not be underestimated. Every time I share my settings in this crazy forum, there are always a few folks from the discussion who actually want to roleplay with me afterwards.

Personal bias: 90% of the interesting, outside-the-box RPs seem to crop in the dice section, and the other 10% are underdeveloped, niche, or mistimed.
I can't won't do system RPs. All the stats and die rolling just kinda kills it for me. I've tried it a couple times, just out of curiosity. But I really don't dig it. But I will agree with you that (on other sites) I noticed that a lot of really interesting ideas tended to be in the System RP section.

What I mean by is I have posted an interest check one month and got no bites, then posted it again six weeks later to a flurry of interest.
So you might need to scour the interest checks regularly, maybe with specific keywords. to see if anything of interest has popped up lately.

I made an RT geared to attract other people sick of seeing the same RTs over and over. It's got a couple responses but nothing concrete yet. Hopefully something becomes of it. My biggest problem with putting out my own RTs is that it is intrinsically assumed that I will be GMing. I would rather avoid GMing if at all possible, so that's another hurdle I need to jump.

This is legitimate and should not be underestimated. Every time I share my settings in this crazy forum, there are always a few folks from the discussion who actually want to roleplay with me afterwards.
My settings tend to be... detailed, to say the least. And most of the time are a constant WIP. Tbh, a lot of my RP ideas stem from things originally meant to be stories/novels. But my invariable lack of motivation to work on my own stories always wins out and I just have files and files of variable and half-baked worldbuilding lore stored up.

• super powers
  • super powers
  • zombies
  • Academy/ superpowers
  • anime
  • anime
  • superpowers
  • modern
  • slice-of-life/romance/modern
  • superpowers
  • yuck fandom (imo)
  • modern/superpowers/zombies

>_>
Well. I am into most of the stuff on that list, but really, I'm not offended by it. xD Everyone has things they like to roleplay! And then, of course, things they don't. I can feel you on your problem, though. I'm older now (28 myself) and not too much into some of the newer-stuffs out there. I've never liked zombies, not big on anime, either. Supernatural stuff I can do all day long, and slice of life as well if the plot is right. Fandoms are hit or miss for me. It is definitely discouraging to not find someone who wants to rp with you, or even someone who does and ghosts you, but that's a whole other topic.

My advice is to just keep trying, honestly. I've been on RPN since 2013 I believe, and have made some great friends in that time. Even if we don't always roleplay, those friendships are still there and keep me going. And some others I do still roleplay with constantly! It takes time, though, which can suck.

Another thing that I really don't like when it comes to searching (on here) is how they lumped all the search threads/interest checks together. I've gotten used to it now, but I honestly hate scrolling through shit I know I'm not interested in just to try and weed out what I might be into. And I don't care for the tags system because who's to say the tags are even correct? Don't like them. I could use the filter-y thing I guess but in the end, when it comes down to preference, I just miss being able to go into the 'realistic/modern' or 'fantasy' section to look for the RPs I know I might be into.

Anyway, all of that aside, I really hope you can find someone or a few someones that you click with and can RP/be friends with!

>_>
Well. I am into most of the stuff on that list, but really, I'm not offended by it. xD Everyone has things they like to roleplay! And then, of course, things they don't. I can feel you on your problem, though. I'm older now (28 myself) and not too much into some of the newer-stuffs out there. I've never liked zombies, not big on anime, either. Supernatural stuff I can do all day long, and slice of life as well if the plot is right. Fandoms are hit or miss for me. It is definitely discouraging to not find someone who wants to rp with you, or even someone who does and ghosts you, but that's a whole other topic.

My advice is to just keep trying, honestly. I've been on RPN since 2013 I believe, and have made some great friends in that time. Even if we don't always roleplay, those friendships are still there and keep me going. And some others I do still roleplay with constantly! It takes time, though, which can suck.

Another thing that I really don't like when it comes to searching (on here) is how they lumped all the search threads/interest checks together. I've gotten used to it now, but I honestly hate scrolling through shit I know I'm not interested in just to try and weed out what I might be into. And I don't care for the tags system because who's to say the tags are even correct? Don't like them. I could use the filter-y thing I guess but in the end, when it comes down to preference, I just miss being able to go into the 'realistic/modern' or 'fantasy' section to look for the RPs I know I might be into.

Anyway, all of that aside, I really hope you can find someone or a few someones that you click with and can RP/be friends with!

So the prefixes exist. Fandom/modern/etc. they’re at the top of the filters. (Under Prefix) In addition you can add in sub-genre to further narrow things down. (Ex. Slice of Life is a sub-genre)

I have done that exclusively when searching and found it works to help me find the things I’m looking for. I dunno about fandoms specifically as Harry Potter seems to be the only one but the rest of the list (except maybe zombies and academy) are on there.

I haven’t tried tags yet so can’t speak to them. But the sub genre and prefixes should make your life significantly easier. The OPs as well actually, as I believe they exist in all the search sections.

>_>
Nothing wrong with people liking what's on the list. It just isn't for me.

Last group I was in, I had been a member of since 2015. And when I left I had like 2 "friends" that I didn't really talk to anyway. Not gonna lie, patience is definitely NOT a virtue of mine. I get impatient with ideas and people pretty quick, and move on just as quickly as I gain interest. And as I may or may not have mentioned before (either here or...in some other thread) I have a little time to write RPs, but cultivating friendships takes even more time and effort, and I dunno if I can afford it.

Some weeks ago I searched for "post-apocalypse" for any RPs active within a 7 day span. Got literally 3 results and two of them were zombie related and the third was some other variant that didn't really do it for me. I'm not looking for anything like that now, but when I was, the search thing really didnt do a lot for me. I've also searched for "Space Opera" recently. I got two results, and one is my own interest advert stating that I'm looking for one. lol

I can't won't do system RPs. All the stats and die rolling just kinda kills it for me.

I'd invite you to give one of mine a try sometime - I handle all the stats for those who'd rather not, and I keep rolling to specific situations where it makes things interesting rather than slow.

Nothing wrong with people liking what's on the list. It just isn't for me.

Last group I was in, I had been a member of since 2015. And when I left I had like 2 "friends" that I didn't really talk to anyway. Not gonna lie, patience is definitely NOT a virtue of mine. I get impatient with ideas and people pretty quick, and move on just as quickly as I gain interest. And as I may or may not have mentioned before (either here or...in some other thread) I have a little time to write RPs, but cultivating friendships takes even more time and effort, and I dunno if I can afford it.

Some weeks ago I searched for "post-apocalypse" for any RPs within a 7 day span. Got literally 3 results and two of them were zombie related and the third was some other variant that didn't really do it for me. I'm not looking for anything like that now, but when I was, the search thing really didnt do a lot for me. I've also searched for "Space Opera" recently. I got two results, and one is my own interest advert stating that I'm looking for one. lol

Tbf I'd bet most people don't know about space opera as a genre lmao. I was part of one a while back and that was a pretty fun experience, ended up being the big bad that the other factions united against in one final epic space battle and that was a wild ride. The futuristic genre here definitely needs more representation LUL. As for post-apocalypse, yeah its just what its inspired by the media and in the middle of a seemingly world ending pandemic where people are dropping like flies to an invisible menace, it makes sense the first thing people think of is zombies ( also thanks to popular media like Metro Series, Fallout, All the zombie stuff ).

I can count the anime I've enjoyed on one hand... and have fingers to spare.

Genuinely surprised. How many shows have you checked out and what's your genre preference. My guess is that you haven't had the kind of show/movie that clicked with you yet (especially seeing most people's anime recommendations and the lack of genre diversity no offense to all the BnHA, FMA, and AoT fans on here but like seriously go watch other shows

Last edited:
Genuinely surprised. How many shows have you checked out and what's your genre preference. My guess is that you haven't had the kind of show/movie that clicked with you yet (especially seeing most people's anime recommendations and the lack of genre diversity no offense to all the BnHA, FMA, and AoT fans on here but like seriously go watch other shows
Outside of Studio Ghibli (because I consider it to be "animated" and not anime, I like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (the first one was really bad), Ninja Scroll, Battle Angel (which a cousin showed me back in... 97'?) and Ghost in the Shell. I'm sure there are a couple others I don't mind, but this genre isn't something at the forefront of my recollection. As you can surmise, my viewership is pretty dated. As far as newer shows that I've checked out, I've watched little bits and pieces of stuff here and there but I just generally don't like most anime. So why waste my time chasing it? For starters, I don't like the animation for a lot of it. I hate the dumb faces. Like, they'll go through all this effort to make everything all detailed and then completely cheap out on the faces. As far as the shows themselves, I don't like a lot of the (for lack of a better word) methodology? Like, when they break out into this inner monologue for everything. It's stupid and annoying. Meanwhile the character(s) are just staring blankly at each other. I can name you some stuff off the top of my head that I've seen that are absolutely barf-worthy to me.
  • No Game, No Life
  • Naruto (Extra barf!)
  • One Piece
  • Bleach
  • Pretty much anything with Mecha stuff
To be fair, I'm also very picky about the non-anime stuff that I watch.

I'd invite you to give one of mine a try sometime - I handle all the stats for those who'd rather not, and I keep rolling to specific situations where it makes things interesting rather than slow.
I guess it would depend on the RP... but I guess I could give it another shot.

Outside of Studio Ghibli (because I consider it to be "animated" and not anime, I like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (the first one was really bad), Ninja Scroll, Battle Angel (which a cousin showed me back in... 97'?) and Ghost in the Shell. I'm sure there are a couple others I don't mind, but this genre isn't something at the forefront of my recollection. As you can surmise, my viewership is pretty dated. As far as newer shows that I've checked out, I've watched little bits and pieces of stuff here and there but I just generally don't like most anime. So why waste my time chasing it? For starters, I don't like the animation for a lot of it. I hate the dumb faces. Like, they'll go through all this effort to make everything all detailed and then completely cheap out on the faces. As far as the shows themselves, I don't like a lot of the (for lack of a better word) methodology? Like, when they break out into this inner monologue for everything. It's stupid and annoying. Meanwhile the character(s) are just staring blankly at each other. I can name you some stuff off the top of my head that I've seen that are absolutely barf-worthy to me.
  • No Game, No Life
  • Naruto (Extra barf!)
  • One Piece
  • Bleach

I see and that's a lot of fair criticism tbh. I think a lot of your plight stems from problems with the medium as it comes to seasonal shows. Generally shows are made on a budget and because of weekly releases have limited amount of time in production, so corners have to be cut and things like having a lot of still frames, more dialogue, less rendered faces, and lower frames per second are considered acceptable by industry standards. This isn't the case with movies. Which is why the Ghibli films always come to mind especially for people that aren't fans of anime when thinking of quality animation. Not to mention, yeah, shounen genre tropes are a pain in the ass too. I personally like them anyways because when done right you get that nostalgic feeling with things like the main character talking himself up trying to figure out his opponent and the power of friendship kind of deal. But obviously you don't identify with that so here are some recommendations I can give. They're mostly movies so have at it.
  • Wolf Children
  • Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • A Silent Voice (Koe No Katachi)
  • Sword Of the Stranger
  • Akira
  • Castlevania (yes I know technically this isn't anime, but also it really is at the same time dont @ me)
  • Most of the Shinkai film collection
    • Your Name (Kimi no Wa)
    • The Place Promised In Our Early Days
    • Voices Of a Distant Star
    • 5 Centimeters Per Second
    • Garden of Words (Kotonoha no Niwa)
    • Children Who Chase Lost Voices
    • Weathering With You (Tenki No Ko)

Superpowers are definitely trending these days.

I am not a follower of any fandoms so I don't RP them, but it feels like most RPs are usually fandom based. If there was something I really couldn't find that I really wanted to RP I would consider creating a RP myself.

• Wolf Children
  • Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • A Silent Voice (Koe No Katachi)
  • Sword Of the Stranger
  • Akira
  • Castlevania (yes I know technically this isn't anime, but also it really is at the same time dont @ me)
  • Most of the Shinkai film collection
    • Your Name (Kimi no Wa)
    • The Place Promised In Our Early Days
    • Voices Of a Distant Star
    • 5 Centimeters Per Second
    • Garden of Words (Kotonoha no Niwa)
    • Children Who Chase Lost Voices
    • Weathering With You (Tenki No Ko)

I think I watched a preview to Wolf Children but gave it a pass.
Haven't heard of Maquia but the title reminds me of Mary and the Witch's flower. I thought that one was okay (but tbh, it was like a ghibli rip-off)
Leapt through time I have seen. it was.... okay. a little tame, but okay.
Next two I hvent heard of
Akira. yeah. i forgot about that one. I liked it... except for their bleh faces. the violence was top notch, tho.
Castlevania I watched all three seasons. Excellent animation and a good story. No complaints
I've looked at three of the previews to that Shinkai collection and it was another pass on all of em.

(Like I said, my checklist isn't at the forefront of my memory)

One of my friends that is very much into anime keeps recommending Helsing to me. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not really into movies/series if they aren't rife with violence and action, tbh. I hate the stigma of "chick flicks" because I hate that shit. same with Rom coms. In this manner, I get along with guys way more than other women. Well... in a lot of ways, tbh. I'm also a bit of a gearhead with cars.

• No Game, No Life
  • Naruto (Extra barf!)
  • One Piece
  • Bleach

Have you tried Cowboy beebop? - futuristic sci fi cyberpunk western mob PI series (and a movie) thing...

Also for a 1 shot: Sword of the stranger.

I say this as someone who dug Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll but find that a lot of anime kind of miss the mark.

I think I watched a preview to Wolf Children but gave it a pass.
Haven't heard of Maquia but the title reminds me of Mary and the Witch's flower. I thought that one was okay (but tbh, it was like a ghibli rip-off)
Leapt through time I have seen. it was.... okay. a little tame, but okay.
Next two I hvent heard of
Akira. yeah. i forgot about that one. I liked it... except for their bleh faces. the violence was top notch, tho.
Castlevania I watched all three seasons. Excellent animation and a good story. No complaints
I've looked at three of the previews to that Shinkai collection and it was another pass on all of em.

(Like I said, my checklist isn't at the forefront of my memory)

One of my friends that is very much into anime keeps recommending Helsing to me. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not really into movies/series if they aren't rife with violence and action, tbh. I hate the stigma of "chick flicks" because I hate that shit. same with Rom coms. In this manner, I get along with guys way more than other women. Well... in a lot of ways, tbh. I'm also a bit of a gearhead with cars.

Helsing would be definitely up your alley then for real (probably why your friend keeps recommending it lmao). In that case other good series to check out would be Gantz and maybe Inuyashiki. As well as a bunch of other good Seinen shows like Darker than Black, Vinland Saga, and Dororo. While not necessarily violent and action packed but still filled with body horror, Re:Zero is pretty good and fricking gruesome as hell for that matter (if you want the full experience would recommend watching the Directors Cut that came out recently) As for films still check out Sword of the Stranger as thats a fricking masterpiece and a callback to good old Samurai movies. As well as Genocidal Organ which falls in the same vein as Ghost in the Shell.

Superpowers are definitely trending these days.

I am not a follower of any fandoms so I don't RP them, but it feels like most RPs are usually fandom based. If there was something I really couldn't find that I really wanted to RP I would consider creating a RP myself.
Superpowers are like THE most overdone medium nowadays. Not just in RP but on tv and movies. I could do without them for the next decade and it wouldn't be long enough.

I prefer to not do fandoms overall. I do have some that I could indulge, but it's only for the setting backdrop. I don't actually RP any of the characters or storyline of the fandom itself. For example: I could do a Mad Max or Star Wars universe.... but somewhere that wasn't in the movies, and with OCs that never encounter the canon character. But yeah, Original settings are always preferred.

Have you tried Cowboy beebop? - futuristic sci fi cyberpunk western mob PI series (and a movie) thing...

Also for a 1 shot: Sword of the stranger.

I say this as someone who dug Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll but find that a lot of anime kind of miss the mark.
I think I did... but I dont remember if it was the series or the movie. I don't remember the plot too much, but I do remember the goofy shoes the main character has.
To be honest, I appreciate you and TPBx TPBx giving me some suggestions, but movie and television aren't exactly high on my priority list. I have a queue of like at least 10 novels or so that I will get through before I start looking for stuff to watch.

Does anyone else just get frustrated and I guess de-motivated when they scroll down the request threads? I look at what everyone is interested in and it makes me feel like I'm definitely on the outs as far as common interest. Like, just now I went through the GROUP REQs. Reading though the topics I'm like "nope" all down the line for different reasons:
  • super powers
  • super powers
  • zombies
  • Academy/ superpowers
  • anime
  • anime
  • superpowers
  • modern
  • slice-of-life/romance/modern
  • superpowers
  • yuck fandom (imo)
  • modern/superpowers/zombies
... I think you get the idea.

I mean, everyone has their list or group of disliked genres/fandoms/settings. I think it just so happens that a lot of the stuff I DON'T like is a lot of the stuff other people DO like.

Fml, right? 🙃
It turns out I'm not immune to wanting super power RPs every once in a while, but other than that, I agree with this. There has been a bit of stagnation in the interest checks department.

RPGs are great for scratching that itch for more unique settings, though. Especially the more obscure ones. I'd reccommend checking some of those out.

It turns out I'm not immune to wanting super power RPs every once in a while, but other than that, I agree with this. There has been a bit of stagnation in the interest checks department.

RPGs are great for scratching that itch for more unique settings, though. Especially the more obscure ones. I'd reccommend checking some of those out.
RPGs... as in video games? I used to game. but the last thing I ever had was a 3ds that got lost a couple years ago.

Yeah. Those.
ah, okay. yeah, I'm not really into the stats and die rolling. Ironically enough, I have something like 12 or 13 D&D books that I collected as a kid. I liked the lore and creatures and stuff. My favorite one is The Book of Vile Darkness. I think they are all 3.5 ed. But I've never played. the rules are too complicated. I also collect and paint minis from the Warhammer and WH40k line (among others). But again, I don't play the game, i just like the product for display value.

ah, okay. yeah, I'm not really into the stats and die rolling. Ironically enough, I have something like 12 or 13 D&D books that I collected as a kid. I liked the lore and creatures and stuff. My favorite one is The Book of Vile Darkness. I think they are all 3.5 ed. But I've never played. the rules are too complicated. I also collect and paint minis from the Warhammer and WH40k line (among others). But again, I don't play the game, i just like the product for display value.
Oh, sorry. What games have you tried? Because there's a system called Powered By the Apocalypse that's super rules-light, and there's a game made with it for pretty much any genre you can think of. And there are a few games where you just accumulate and spend tokens instead of rolling dice.

I feel you for real, every time I read through the recruits and I'm like... Okay... BNHA fandom, Harry Potter romance, BNHA fandom, random fandom... Some more romance, multiverse fandom... ( Like, multiverse allows for so much creativity and we should stick to fandom, whyyyyy)
And people all just want to have fun with their OC while you dub the fandom world for them. I guess it can't be helped though, people seek what they like and we can't blame them for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back