Viewpoint Tired of these RP topics

Murdergurl

will turn your insides into your outsides
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Does anyone else just get frustrated and I guess de-motivated when they scroll down the request threads? I look at what everyone is interested in and it makes me feel like I'm definitely on the outs as far as common interest. Like, just now I went through the GROUP REQs. Reading though the topics I'm like "nope" all down the line for different reasons:
  • super powers
  • super powers
  • zombies
  • Academy/ superpowers
  • anime
  • anime
  • superpowers
  • modern
  • slice-of-life/romance/modern
  • superpowers
  • yuck fandom (imo)
  • modern/superpowers/zombies
... I think you get the idea.

I mean, everyone has their list or group of disliked genres/fandoms/settings. I think it just so happens that a lot of the stuff I DON'T like is a lot of the stuff other people DO like.

Fml, right? 🙃

That’s why it’s always a good idea to make your own thread when you don’t see something you like among the already posted ones

That’s why it’s always a good idea to make your own thread when you don’t see something you like among the already posted ones
done it a couple times (on this site) already to no avail. Even have a couple RTs currently out. Have even asked for co-GMs to some ideas. I've repurposed the old threads since, but I had them out for a bit before giving up and losing my mojo on the ideas. But to be completely transparent, I'm not really that into GMing my own RPs. It's a lot of work, and I'd rather just join in on someone elses.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that every reply will boil down to 'host your own RP with blackjack and hookers', and that's what I feel too. It's been mentioned already and it'll be mentioned a few times more.

Alright, the first step is to exercise a lot of patience and keep bumping your threads. You work from there, and you wait, and then you RP once someone catches your hook.

If I were in your shoes and REALLY can't find anyone here that does the stuff I want after this, I'd probably migrate to another forum with another community that has more people that like the things I like. That's what I've done a few times, sometimes I migrate back to the place I left. Sometimes I juggle multiple forums, like I am now.

I have a feeling that every reply will boil down to 'host your own RP with blackjack and hookers', and that's what I feel too. It's been mentioned already and it'll be mentioned a few times more.

Alright, the first step is to exercise a lot of patience and keep bumping your threads. You work from there, and you wait, and then you RP once someone catches your hook.
I've mentioned this before in other convos. But one of my biggest issues with making my own adverts is that they have a shelf life of a couple of days before I lose heart and don't want to do them anymore. So being patient really doesn't work too well for my muse. I need things to get moving in a day or two, or I move on to the next idea.

The main thread I keep bumping is a list, really. I has all my potential interests on it. I decided to just coordinate my stuff to that one thread, but if i have something specific i currently want, I link it in.

If I were in your shoes and REALLY can't find anyone here that does the stuff I want after this, I'd probably migrate to another forum with another community that has more people that like the things I like. That's what I've done a few times, sometimes I migrate back to the place I left. Sometimes I juggle multiple forums, like I am now.
I actually came HERE from another site after five years of that place not giving me a whole lot to work with. It kinda sorta did at first, but the last two years were dead, dead, dead. I AM on other places... but they are... slow, to say the least. Not a lot going on. Even my adult RP sites are kinda meh lately. But that's a whole other thing not for this site. Besides, those sites are primarily 1x1stuff, and I'm not looking for that.

Honestly, I got recommended to RPN because it was supposed to have a lot of traffic. "You can lose yourself and it will take over your life if you're not careful" was (roughly) what I was told. Sounded like the place was poppin', so at the beginning of July I got here. So far, I haven't gotten into anything that didn't die right out of the gate (if even that).

It's just luck.
Nah. I don't believe in luck. I believe in what I see. I don't necessarilly check in every day. But even as sporadically as I do, it's the same topics over and over and over. Hardly bad luck. That's just the trend here. And tbh, they're the trend in a lot of places.

Luck is a simplification of cosmic circumstance. There are explanations to it, but to state those would bear no additional meaning. Hence the simplification. I've been in your seat for a long while, with nothing that piqued my curiosity until recently.

Luck is a simplification of cosmic circumstance. There are explanations to it, but to state those would bear no additional meaning. Hence the simplification. I've been in your seat for a long while.
dunno how long you've been at it, but I've been RPing for... let's see, I started at 14, I'm 37 now... take a couple years for hiatus' ... I put it around 20 years. Though I hafta say, it's been a lot more miss than hit... like probably 80% + miss, if I had to figure it. RPing is hard... and it's not even the writing that's the difficult part.

dunno how long you've been at it, but I've been RPing for... let's see, I started at 14, I'm 37 now... take a couple years for hiatus' ... I put it around 20 years. Though I hafta say, it's been a lot more miss than hit... like probably 80% + miss, if I had to figure it. RPing is hard... and it's not even writing that's the difficult part.

I've roleplayed for something akin to 14 years now, question mark. The time congeals into obscurity with my ever-decreasing memory. We clearly have two seperate backgrounds, either way. Anything in roleplaying on the forums I've participated in is largely hit-or-miss, until you find a group of like-minded, comparatively competent, and equally as dedicated individuals. After all, it is these forums that newcomers congregate towards in order to find their bearings.

I've roleplayed for something akin to 14 years now, question mark. The time congeals into obscurity with my ever-decreasing memory. We clearly have two seperate backgrounds, either way. Anything in roleplaying on the forums I've participated in is largely hit-or-miss, until you find a group of like-minded, comparatively competent, and equally as dedicated individuals. After all, it is these forums that newcomers congregate towards in order to find their bearings.
I think some of my bigger problems as the years have gone on are:
1) Newer RPers are into newer RP concepts, while I'm still trying to get an idea going from 15 years ago.
2) I don't keep up on a lot of the new platforms. For example, Discord. I have one, but I really don't like it.
3) I just don't have the time to chatter and rub elbows like I used to. And tbh, even when I had the time, it wasn't a thing I enjoyed much. So I've pretty much always lacked that "social connection". Nowadays, OOCs are just a bunch of meme-speak that is totally over my head. I try to get into it. but most of the time I dont know wtf I'm doing.

I think some of my bigger problems as the years have gone on are:
1) Newer RPers are into newer RP concepts, while I'm still trying to get an idea going from 15 years ago.
2) I don't keep up on a lot of the new platforms. For example, Discord. I have one, but I really don't like it.
3) I just don't have the time to chatter and rub elbows like I used to. And tbh, even when I had the time, it wasn't a thing I enjoyed much. So I've pretty much always lacked that "social connection". Nowadays, OOCs are just a bunch of meme-speak that is totally over my head.

I share two of three issues with you when it comes to roleplaying, not having an issue with discord being my one difference. Though I am not one for meme-speak. As someone with senior experience with the site, I can't unfortunately give you much more advice than for you to keep trying your 'luck,' if you'd allow me that phrase, and to find and connect with an older group of roleplayers. There is one I could direct you towards, headed by an old acquaintance who might have already forgotten about me, but that's besides the point, which consists of more 'experienced' roleplayers. I'm not a part of it, but I know many who are. If you are interested in that kind of direction.

I share two of three issues with you when it comes to roleplaying, not having an issue with discord being my one difference. Though I am not one for meme-speak. As someone with senior experience with the site, I can't unfortunately give you much more advice than for you to keep trying your 'luck,' if you'd allow me that phrase, and to find and connect with an older group of roleplayers. There is one I could direct you towards, headed by an old acquaintance who might have already forgotten about me, but that's besides the point, which consists of more 'experienced' roleplayers. I'm not a part of it, but I know many who are. If you are interested in that kind of direction.
is this another site? Or a group here on RPN? Either way, I'd appreciate the favor.

is this another site? Or a group here on RPN? Either way, I'd appreciate the favor.

It is here. Check out Coin Coin 's creations. They do seem to utilize discord, and I cannot guarantee he makes things which pique your interest, but it's the only one I know. And I'm sure they'd adjust to your unwillingness for the social medium that discord is.

Additionally. You can also tag me if you choose to venture towards making your own creations. I don't have a train of like-minded allies for which to shepherd, but I'd give it a look.

Tfw I feel personally attacked because I'm definitely part of the problem but I understand when you can't find the tags you want.

Additionally. You can also tag me if you choose to venture towards making your own creations. I don't have a train of like-minded allies for which to shepherd, but I'd give it a look.
Sure thing. I had put forth some lore'd up ideas before, but I already dropped out of being interested in them. If/when another comes around again, I'll tag ya. FYI, they are pretty much all gonna be Group Oriented. Also, I have a Star Wars RP currently advertised, if that's a thing you're into. I don't have a semblance of a plot though, just a required setting.

Lmao, I appreciate this reference. xD

I made a thread dealing with topics I found interesting rather than trying to find an existing interest check awhile back. It worked out pretty good too.
I didn't know it was a reference. I had a late friend who used to say that all the time. So I thought it was just a generic term-of-phrase.

As far as threads with topics of interest, I've been running THIS for a bit now.

Tfw I feel personally attacked because I'm definitely part of the problem but I understand when you can't find the tags you want.
For the one's who's titles are not obvious, I click in for a read. The tags do a lot to save the time of reading further though, so I don't waste time reading something just to find it has a major element of something I really don't care for.

I'm not blaming anyone. The members have their interests, and they are looking (and finding) others who share them. That's great. Good for them. It's just a little frustrating for me to never see a damn thing I want to participate in. I even let this place chill for a few days, thinking when I came back the lineup might be different. Big nope. I did get in on two RPs that tried to start up little after I joined the site. But one never got past the GMs first post because the entirety of the rest of the group just flopped on us. And the other just never got any other interest besides my own. And you can't have a group RP with just two people.

Sure thing. I had put forth some lore'd up ideas before, but I already dropped out of being interested in them. If/when another comes around again, I'll tag ya. FYI, they are pretty much all gonna be Group Oriented. Also, I have a Star Wars RP currently advertised, if that's a thing you're into. I don't have a semblance of a plot though, just a required setting.

I didn't know it was a reference. I had a late friend who used to say that all the time. So I thought it was just a generic term-of-phrase.

As far as threads with topics of interest, I've been running THIS for a bit now.

For the one's who's titles are not obvious, I click in for a read. The tags do a lot to save the time of reading further though, so I don't waste time reading something just to find it has a major element of something I really don't care for.

I'm not blaming anyone. The members have their interests, and they are looking (and finding) others who share them. That's great. Good for them. It's just a little frustrating for me to never see a damn thing I want to participate in. I even let this place chill for a few days, thinking when I came back the lineup might be different. Big nope. I did get in on two RPs that tried to start up little after I joined the site. But one never got past the GMs first post because the entirety of the rest of the group just flopped on us. And the other just never got any other interest besides my own. And you can't have a group RP with just two people.

Unfortunately not. Though I have no qualms with group roleplays. They are my preferred medium.

I never get tired of super powers/supernatural abilities, but I have been working on a full scale powered universe since 2015, so I'm just burnt out on that. When it comes to supers, no one wants to do them properly, so I just gave up. I was never into the "ready-made vigilante legends spawn into random setting and form super team no one gives a shit about because it's a broken, imbalanced mess with no history or established significance behind it" in the first place.

But I am sick of zombies. I just got really, really tired of generic Z RPs. It's just so goddamn boring 99.9% of the time. I really loath Z material when it's done in a group, even 1x1. It's just a juvenile mess where newbian minds become bored at the speed of sound, hollow characters crumble under the pressure, and the range of plots to work with can even seem limited.

As for academy stuff, never did really enjoy those types of RPs. In my Mythic Universe there is a facility called the Harper Institute where metahuman youths can receive outreach support, training, education, etc. It acts as a school, gym, training center, shelter and youth program center. It's one of the older landmarks in the development of Citadel City, but I still haven't really fleshed out or developed the stories surrounding it's daily affairs. It's just not my wheelhouse. I can and will do anything, but the way people do academy RPs has destroyed my interest in hosting a team project using the genre.

Fandoms go without saying. It's not even a conversation anymore.

#CreativeContentMatters

And yeah, I've never been one for anime. To watch, listen to, or put up with in creative writing.

You know, when I roll out of bed to go nurse a hangover, the last thing I expect is for someone to be plugging my content. Thank you, Malphaestus Malphaestus , I am humbled that someone considers my work praiseworthy.

Murdergurl Murdergurl , I've skimmed this thread a bit, and I understand where you're coming from. The roleplay mainstream exists for a reason, and really, I'm glad that it exists because it means that many more people are roleplaying. Having so much to choose from means it's so much more rewarding when you do find a gem in the rough. Anyways, I am at risk of sounding too preachy. Best of luck on your searches!

I think the biggest problem when it comes to finding roleplays and being uninterested in the current plot trends, is the fact that RPN has such a large user base. Popular concepts = lots of traffic = those threads being the ones to fill at least the first couple search pages (usually). It makes looking for something more niche a heck of a lot harder because you really need to dig for it. However, I can pretty much guarantee that there are other people out there with your exact same interests who are likely feeling the same way you do and are simply not making threads about it/active in the discussion threads.

My advice? Grab a cup of tea, coffee, or whatever beverage/snack combo suits you best, and spend a good chunk of time diligently going through the interest check pages. Flag all of the ones that tick your boxes, check to see if that user is still active, and then do one of two things:

1) Contact them to see if they're still interested in running their story
2) Create a very polite group message that includes all the people you've found who are still active and have similar taste in concepts, and ask if they'd like to brainstorm and create a group RP.

You'll find that a lot of these people are in the same boat as you. Many may have given up on trying, but if you bring together a bunch of people with these same interests you pretty much have a ready-made group RP. Sure, some of them might not stick around or want to brainstorm something up... but I'd bet that a decent number of them would.

It takes a lot of legwork for sure, but if you REALLY have a story itch to scratch then this is (imo) the best way to scratch it on a site this big, busy, and presently focused on concepts that don't interest you.

Big reply cluster ahead...

I never get tired of super powers/supernatural abilities, but I have been working on a full scale powered universe since 2015, so I'm just burnt out on that. When it comes to supers, no one wants to do them properly, so I just gave up. I was never into the "ready-made vigilante legends spawn into random setting and form super team no one gives a shit about because it's a broken, imbalanced mess with no history or established significance behind it" in the first place.
This genre is just SO overdone. I might have given it some kind of merit at one point. But after seeing it done for the 800th time, nothing is fresh about it anymore. Not only that, but every idea is just a repackage of some show or movie out there. I'm tired of official superhero stuff, and the amateur version of it is just as overhyped and more cringe.

But I am sick of zombies. I just got really, really tired of generic Z RPs. It's just so goddamn boring 99.9% of the time. I really loath Z material when it's done in a group, even 1x1. It's just a juvenile mess where newbian minds become bored at the speed of sound, hollow characters crumble under the pressure, and the range of plots to work with can even seem limited.
The zombie trope was okay maybe 15 years ago. But after the movies started shelling out the Romero remakes and then the Res Evil movies basically made a mockery of the whole thing, then TWD came around(barf!) and zombies got pretty played out. Pretty much exactly what they're doing with the superhero genre... only the supers seem to have a lot more PR and cash flow behind its movement.

As for academy stuff, never did really enjoy those types of RPs. In my Mythic Universe there is a facility called the Harper Institute where metahuman youths can receive outreach support, training, education, etc. It acts as a school, gym, training center, shelter and youth program center. It's one of the older landmarks in the development of Citadel City, but I still haven't really fleshed out or developed the stories surrounding it's daily affairs. It's just not my wheelhouse. I can and will do anything, but the way people do academy RPs has destroyed my interest in hosting a team project using the genre.
I'm 37 years old. I spent 12 years in school, plus a few more in college/technical school. I hated all of it with a passion. The academics, the socializing, the cliques, the bs drama. The last thing I want is to revisit any of that.

Fandoms go without saying. It's not even a conversation anymore.

#CreativeContentMatters
We won't have one about it then. ;-)

And yeah, I've never been one for anime. To watch, listen to, or put up with in creative writing.
I can count the anime I've enjoyed on one hand... and have fingers to spare.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, when I roll out of bed to go nurse a hangover, the last thing I expect is for someone to be plugging my content. Thank you, Malphaestus Malphaestus , I am humbled that someone considers my work praiseworthy.
I was reading over your Ninth Winter stuff.... and it is VERY well written. So Kudos to that. It is obvious that you poured a lot of effort into that.

Murdergurl Murdergurl , I've skimmed this thread a bit, and I understand where you're coming from. The roleplay mainstream exists for a reason, and really, I'm glad that it exists because it means that many more people are roleplaying. Having so much to choose from means it's so much more rewarding when you do find a gem in the rough. Anyways, I am at risk of sounding too preachy. Best of luck on your searches!
I've definitely noticed the influx of people into the community over the years. It has gotten extremely popular from the niche interest that it was back in the day of MSM chats, Aol message boards, and PbE. And yeah, it's great to find those great RPers out there... assuming you have the time to look for them. The old guard have grown up, however. Have families, jobs, and a bunch of other adult stuff that pretty much cuts away at the time we used to have when we started in on the hobby. So searching often takes time that we don't necessarilly have.

That being said, here I am being networked to you. I've since added you to my "followed" list. I'm not sure how that works on this site, but I'm assuming it gives me alerts or something when you make more topics? Either way, I look forward to seeing more of your work. I haven't been in a mood for anything fantasy for a while, otherwise I'd make an application for your Ninth Winter RP. But nothing needs to be done here and now, and here's looking to the future. ;-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the biggest problem when it comes to finding roleplays and being uninterested in the current plot trends, is the fact that RPN has such a large user base. Popular concepts = lots of traffic = those threads being the ones to fill at least the first couple search pages (usually). It makes looking for something more niche a heck of a lot harder because you really need to dig for it. However, I can pretty much guarantee that there are other people out there with your exact same interests who are likely feeling the same way you do and are simply not making threads about it/active in the discussion threads.
Yeah, I would go back to page 6 or 7 when I first got here... or at least until the reply dates seemed to be obsolete. I personally cut off at a week. I figure if someone isn't checking in to bump something after that long they either aren't interested anymore, or get online too infrequently for them to keep my interest anyway.

I have no illusions that I'm alone in my frustrations. I'm sure many have voiced exactly what I have in this thread more than a few times before I came around. And countless more have had the same sentiment but not spoken up.

My advice? Grab a cup of tea, coffee, or whatever beverage/snack combo suits you best, and spend a good chunk of time diligently going through the interest check pages. Flag all of the ones that tick your boxes, check to see if that user is still active, and then do one of two things:

1) Contact them to see if they're still interested in running their story
2) Create a very polite group message that includes all the people you've found who are still active and have similar taste in concepts, and ask if they'd like to brainstorm and create a group RP.

You'll find that a lot of these people are in the same boat as you. Many may have given up on trying, but if you bring together a bunch of people with these same interests you pretty much have a ready-made group RP. Sure, some of them might not stick around or want to brainstorm something up... but I'd bet that a decent number of them would.

It takes a lot of legwork for sure, but if you REALLY have a story itch to scratch then this is (imo) the best way to scratch it on a site this big, busy, and presently focused on concepts that don't interest you.
That second option sounds interesting. Though, it will likely take me a good while to get that done. As much as I try to be active on here, irl often takes me away. I have stopped and come back to this message ...4 times already just to send it out. (I'm now camping out in the bathroom as I type this). As I had mentioned higher up in this message, I don't have the freetime of yesteryear. I really only have the freetime for one, maybe two RPs. And that same availability goes for chat and recruitment. Still, that's a very good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back