Viewpoint Tired of these RP topics

Most users uh, shy away from systems.

It's why I have a hard time getting players despite RP pitches distinct from the norm.
On other PR sites, I've seen where system games are actually the norm, and it's hard to get group freeform going.
Personally, I don't like freeform.
Edit: Personally, I don't like systems
I've had enough people tell me over the years that the use of a system is a sticking point - they either don't like the idea, don't want to learn, or (with startling regularity) are too afraid of making a mistake to try.
But the preference for familiarity certainly plays a role.
I've tried tham more than a couple times, and it's not for me. I understand that some people like them, and it makes for more organized play and definitely cracks down on players being OP or mary sue's. But my personal interest in RP is narrative focused with adaptation for the betterment of the story, and I just dont care for stats and die rolls and all that. I find that system games tend to box in your options of what kind of character you can be. And creative freedom over my character is one of the most important thing in the roleplay hobby

But like I said, there are other sites where this is actually a common thing, instead of the uncommon.

I share OPs sentiment, but I also get it.

RP is recreational, and often times is a means to ingrain oneself into stories that an individual finds appealing. The lion's share of that medium is the things you see in the greatest quantity on the site. The number of My Hero Academia interest checks I've seen on the front page alone makes me want to eat glass, but BNHA/MHA is popular for a reason. Anime + Shonen/Superpower + Academy. At least it isn't isekai, too.

I find myself disagreeing with Sera, though. When there's 10+ RPs that are all the same thing, all active at the same time, going into something new or (semi) original is a breath of fresh air. I get that's subjective, but that also may be why I have a hard time getting RPs off the ground on site. Everyone wants the same 3-5 fandoms.
Popular things are popular because they have the majority vote. I totes get that. But the rest of us want something different. We are swimming in a flood of redundancy trying to grasp that life raft of variety that seems perpetually out of reach.

being distinct from the norm is why you can't get players
no one cares how creative you are, they want something familiar
Not true at all. The problem isn't that the players don't exist. The problem is that it is inherently difficult to find one another when we are being overshadowed by everyone who is on board with the flavor of the month. And oftentimes, it is very disheartening to see everyone going for the same ol' same ol', and your own RT just gets booted down the page. So the odds of you finding fellow enthusiasts are considerably lessened.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like freeform.

I've tried tham more than a couple times, and it's not for me. I understand that some people like them, and it makes for more organized play and definitely cracks down on players being OP or mary sue's. But my personal interest in RP is narrative focused with adaptation for the betterment of the story, and I just dont care for stats and die rolls and all that. I find that system games tend to box in your options of what kind of character you can be. And creative freedom over my character is one of the most important thing in the roleplay hobby

So you don't like freeform and you don't like systems. What's left?

So you don't like freeform and you don't like systems. What's left?
sorry. that was a typo. Or maybe I just missed something when I re-worded it. (I couldn't tell you what went wrong at this point)

Correction: Personally, I only do freeform. I don't like systems
The last site I was on had a very strong system group presence, and it made me sad that they had a lot of great ideas within their section, but they always had all these rules and stats going along with em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back