• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Those Who Remember (Alternate Timeline)

If it’s modern, would the same technologies exist? I understand that the politics might be different, but I’m just trying to understand more about the setting.

Edit;; Alternatively, would there any other differences asides from the history and government? Sorry for the questions, I like to ask just to get them out of the way.
I go a little more into this in the OOC thread.

Well, as a rule I don't like toons for Modern RP's, but even I have some characters for which I found anime pics or art work, and never could find a photo to do them justice. In fact, the mother of the CIA trainee is one character for which I found an art work that doesn't even meet 2 quality. I may have to use that character in this RP, come to think of it.

Okay, Just a quick Question. Our characters can be from any time? Medieval, Japanese Dynasty, and so on?

Other than that, I would love to join.

No. This is year 2021. Re read the description of the RP
A few questions. Why are drugs illegal if the Civil Rights Act was never written up? Is the purpose of the RP to change the world to be more tolerant or to demonstrate dystopia? And do Mormons count as WASPs?

You have the cause and effect backwards between drugs and civil rights. The Civil Rights Act was in 1964. The War in Drugs began in 1971 when Nixon proclaimed drug abuse Public Enemy number one. That was the result of the Counterculture Era of the 60's. The Counterculture Era happened, but not because of Vietnam. And without something like a war to give it momentum, it failed. Rather is was seen as a subversive and rebellious cult.

Mormons are close enough. They represent moral behavior that suits the WASPish paradigm.

The purpose of the RP will be threefold.
Start - Demonstrate dystopia. Basically the characters deal with culture shock - or suffer the effects of all the changes first hand.

Change - some of the group may want to try to locate and join rebels - or create a rebellion.

Reversal - the last possibility may be to try to reverse the changes created by temporal changes. (It is entirely possible that it all started with good intentions.)

So, Say if one character gets captured. And say, They had a smart-phone with Minecraft for example. What would happen if they found that game and it never existed?

Just an Example.

If you look at the earliest changes to the timeline - prevention of the formation of South Vietnam, that suggests that someone may have been trying to prevent the Vietnam War. That's a good thing - right?

Ehh, Halfway good.

But my example, What do you think about it? Could they take that technology for themselves and possibly use it to their advantages?

Well, your smartphone won't work. It lacks the protocols to connect to the New Timeline systems. Sure, you can turn it on. But companies like Verizon don't even exist. It is still Bell Telephone. FX, Fox, Nickelodeon, etc? Gone ... it is just ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and BBC.

The technology of the smartphone would be a little more advanced that the New Timeline has. The Prime Timeline had a few edges - especially in any technology resulting from the Space Race. (The ladies from Hidden Figures never made their contributions.)

Also, Did you know Minecraft can be played offline?

EDIT: What do you mean by 'Reserved for Storyteller?'

Hint: Hang onto your smartphones. (I DO actually have some ideas for them, like tracking them. Just not Big Brother doing the tracking, but someone with the technical skills to write protocols and hack into the Big Brother network to locate others who made it by tracking their phones.)

Edit: Sort of a plot device to help get people together - and make character origins more flexible.

Never played Minecraft, so no.

Bump

and Stricken Steel Stricken Steel The reserved thing was just to hold that spot for my characters. (I generally stick all mine there with comments about the characters.)

Also, it there is something downloaded on your smartphone - or laptop, etc ... no reason you can't use it. I was referring to any Apps that require a connection. For example, Google Docs has an offline mode. Easy enough to use.

Yes, I understood.

I mainly rely on offline, Especially in these times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back