• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Those Who Remember (Alternate Timeline)

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It happened overnight. One day the world was the one you remember (real world). Then you woke up in a completely different reality. It was as though history had been rewritten. But you? You remember the old timeline, not this Hell you woke up in.

There are some similarities to the Man in the High Castle. But the settings are extremely different as are the causes for the reality crossing.

Major changes to the timeline:
The Japanese coup d'état in French Indochina failed in 1945 due to US intervention. But the French transferred control over the region to the US by 1947. The US converted the region into recognized territories and began funneling in financial aid that would have originally been used in what we knew as the Vietnam War.

The planned US purchase of 1946 went through.

The Counterculture Movement of the 60’s failed. (Noone has ever heard of MLK. Rock and Roll is still struggling to emerge.)

The Energy Crisis of 1973 was never called that. There was a minor recession.

The Vietnam War never happened. (South Vietnam was never even created.)

The Cold War ended in 1984 (rather than 1989). The USSR still exists, though it lost some members, gained others. It is still Communist.

A Chinese Cold War began in 1989. Ended in 2007. Control over Indochina was ceded and the independence of the various nations within recognized. China made moves to convince them to join in a United Chinese Empire, but the union failed. Today the US still has bases scattered throughout the region - inexchange for financial aid.

The US entered a long, slow Recession in 2008 and is still going on in 2021.

Effects of Changes
In a nutshell, the world is a nightmare.

The US is still a very WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) dominated society. It is like living back in the 50’s or early 60’s. Schools, restaurants, housing, transportation and such are all segregated.

The US Hayes Code is still very much in force and enforced. (Censorship in media). There are still only a few networks. All programming is under constant scrutiny. The internet is under strong government control. One must have a license to use a computer!!!) Cell Phones are available to the government only.

The US is NOT LGBTQ friendly. In fact it is illegal. Anyone discovered with such tendencies are incarcerated and “treated” as though it is a disease. (Please note: the Storyteller here doesn’t share this opinion. If you want to make such a character, see Characters below for more info if you wish to pursue this. I didn't tag the RP as LGBTQ friendly as the world is not.)

There are Walls on the US/Mexico and US/Canada borders. Immigration is strictly controlled. Citizenship is not granted by birth on US soil by foreign nationals.

The US is essentially a police state. Children still say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. Corporal punishment still takes place in schools. Drugs are very illegal. There are curfews. The sky is filled with drones - about 60,000 in the US alone controlled by police and military.

English is the official language. You have to pass an English test just to work in the US even with a green card. Green cards are very hard to get.

Characters
You exist in this timeline. Your counterparts do NOT. They are dead. Fun fact: the character's parents must have survived long enough to give birth you them.

LGBTQ characters must decide their status in the new timeline. If they were discovered and caught, you were institutionalized. They may have died under care. Or they may have committed suicide. Or they may have been living the lie and died in some accident.

Non-WASPish characters will find their counterparts were living the sort of life they would expect in this setting. If you leave the areas where “your kind” lives, you better have a good reason. Expect to get stopped, papers checked, etc. It will get very ugly for your character.

WASPish characters may have died in the line of duty, in some accident. Maybe they were murdered.

It is also possible to run natives of the timeline who know nothing of our reality. But THEIR counterparts will be dead in our reality for whatever reason. This does NOT mean they can cross over.

Edit: Gave this some more thought and realized that characters might run into people they know who are very different in the new timeline.

Note: When a character arrives from the Prime Timeline, they will be dressed and such exactly as they were the instant before the timeline changed. They will possess all of their Prime knowledge, none of the New Timeline.

Posting
3rd Person Past Tense
Literate (but not necessarily advanced)
Length? Well, I normally post about 500 words (1 page), but not really looking to enforce that from others. Rather, I am looking for content that helps the storyline and has something to respond to unless it is the end of a scene. At least a few paragraphs are in order though.

Last edited:
I haven’t decided. My usual character is from Albuquerque. I’d prefer to avoid the Northeast. I am thinking of Atlanta. But we can wait to see what the group wants.

However, we COULD do more than one character. I probably will. Though some will just be native to the timeline. It would be interesting for some to create some NPCs they knew in the original timeline that are very different in the new one.

I need to think about the northeast in fact.

Just a heads up, I am working on thoughts about how to fix things or get back.

Once we get at least4 besides myself, I’ll get a CS thread going. No special format, but I’ll post A blank that lists the basics. Basically, what the character is like in the Prime timeline.

That sounds great! I’m looking forward to it. Also just to clear up my thoughts, would we be playing in modern day or would it be set back in time in the actual cold war era?

If it’s modern, would the same technologies exist? I understand that the politics might be different, but I’m just trying to understand more about the setting.

Edit;; Alternatively, would there any other differences asides from the history and government? Sorry for the questions, I like to ask just to get them out of the way.

Last edited:
Of course, no worries! I’m just trying to see how realistic we’re going. If I remember, there was some sci-fi elements to the show with the time-travelling or travelling to alternate realities. So I’m just wondering if that’s something that’s present in the universe/modern society, aside from the premise, like if the government are keeping experiments like that running.

But definitely take your time! I’m also sorry again, if the questions are annoying. I’d rather ask than write something out of context or out of the vision that you had for the group.

No worries. Good questions in fact. Long work day with no time for Internet starting now. Driving.

Just got back from work. Time to eat and head to sleep. Gotta be up in 7.5 hours to drive again. (Tuesday is always the worst; Wed second worst.) Almost quit my job today over safety issues - ie unsafe conditions, load weights, etc. Been one of THOSE days

If I get time in the morning I'll try to get some answers posted and a Blank CS.

Just got back from work. Time to eat and head to sleep. Gotta be up in 7.5 hours to drive again. (Tuesday is always the worst; Wed second worst.) Almost quit my job today over safety issues - ie unsafe conditions, load weights, etc. Been one of THOSE days

If I get time in the morning I'll try to get some answers posted and a Blank CS.
QUESTION CAN WE USE ANIMATED FC FOR CS? PLS?

If you do, please hide them. I have tumors behind my eyes. I can't read around animated gifs.

Ohhhh ... if you use one, please use a high quality image. In particular I like to see a face. The image is a bit like an avatar - a face to connect with a name.

I haven’t decided. My usual character is from Albuquerque. I’d prefer to avoid the Northeast. I am thinking of Atlanta. But we can wait to see what the group wants.

However, we COULD do more than one character. I probably will. Though some will just be native to the timeline. It would be interesting for some to create some NPCs they knew in the original timeline that are very different in the new one.

I need to think about the northeast in fact.

Just a heads up, I am working on thoughts about how to fix things or get back.
I vote Washington DC it is head of country so many people from different states and countries go there

And Clan Ize Clan Ize , I'd be surprised if anyone could find 3 that also looked like what they had in mind for their character. I even have a few characters that have something more like 2 in quality that I haven't found better for a whole decade.

Locations.

I have 6 characters I will probably use in varying amounts. One in Albuquerque to start. One in NW Georgia (Rome area). These two have been friends since childhood.

The other four are a group that I haven't decided where to put them. I have two versions of them - late teens ... and after they have parted ways for 8-10 years with plans to reunite. (two of those are married, not sure about the other two). Of the last two, one has been in training to enter service into the CIA, college, etc. She would work well starting out in DC. The other went into the USMC and would have just finished a second enlistment / deployment. (Of course, what their New timeline alts did in the past is another matter altogether.)

That is something to consider. How your alts died and when. Coming back from the dead may not be a great thing. What if you were a subversive degenerate scum? Or worse ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back