Other Third person or non-descriptive?

I can't say I've ever run across the term non-descriptive either. I exclusively roleplay in third-person perspective, though. I'll gladly read fiction written in other perspectives but first/second feels too... personal for written roleplay and kind of weirds me out a little for reasons I can't articulate very well.

It's probably a little different for something like pen and paper games (when played in person with other folks around a table, at least) but I don't really have much experience with those. I understand it's fairly common to refer to your character's actions in the first person there?

Ah actually that's a perfect description of it. I believe it's typically called either one-liners OR chat style here.

I would say most folk on here go for the novella form, and a vast majority of them go strictly third person POV.

I tend to do the same. Mostly writing as if I was writing a book. I might try third person omniscient sometimes just for practice but rarely go to first person. Just always gives me the impression my partner is too attached to the characters.

third person is best person xd
all joke's aside, for me, personally, third person feels a lot more natural to write. when using first person for a different character it feels... wrong, idk.

I write third person limited, interacting with the environment only through how the character perceives it.

Second person just seems a little restrictive, since you control both your character and your partner's. Also, I don't think many people know how to use it effectively, including myself, so I avoid it.

First person perspective always ticked me off when I see it used in group RP's. I prefer plots in which all characters are no more or less important than another, so first person seems a little pretentious in that regard.

I almost never write anything outside of third person. I think first person can work well for those seeking to write a novel, short story, etc., as it feels more personal, and that's helpful when you are trying to make readers sympathize with your character/s. For the sake of rp, however, first person often feels too personal. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that when you're writing with someone, and they use the word I, you're often left feeling like, or even wondering if they're writing about their self. This can be very uncomfortable because a lot of people like to distance themselves from their characters and writing; if you're rping a character who is generally offensive and immoral, you probably don't want people to think their values reflect your own. It's the uncanny valley of writing.

Out of sheer habit from running threads, I usually write in third person omniscient. Otherwise, third person limited is the way to go - and past tense. Always past tense.

Third person limited past tense point of view is what I do. Its also what i prefer those who roleplay with me use because damn does it get confusing otherwise.

Depends:

General RP and traditional dice games, I go with third-person, present, I guess? Yeah. I guess I do.

Newer indie story games like Apocalypse World, I speak in first-person directly to the character in first-person. It's very conversational and I ask direct questions with that character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back