• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Theomachy

Sprite Pepsi

It wasn't that long ago that the gods walked the earth, controlling every aspect of human life. But recently (well, recently for them at least, thousands of years for you), everything changed when an event known as "the exile" occurred. Whilst the general details about both the event itself and life before it have been lost to the sands of time, it more or less resulted in the gods being sperated from our plane of existance.

With the gods gone, so were their control over humanity. The gods naturally weren't pleased by this, and spent countless years trying to find a way to regain their control.

The answer came, much to the gods suprise, in the form of humans themselves. See, because while the gods themselves no longer could neither manifest nor influence the mortal world they could grant a human an fraction of their diventy and task them with carrying out the gods will.

And that's where you come, as someone who've received said fraction of diventy (or vessels as they are more commonly referred to), it's your job to ensure that everything goes as the gods want it to. Wether that means fighting monsters/criminals/other vessels, healing the sick, making sure that the followers of your god is honouring them correctly or even (if you've made a pact with a viscous enough war god) start the next world war.

As briefly mentioned in the lore section of this Interest check, magic in this setting works via pacts made with a god of some sort. In short, the way it works is that you get contacted by a god who offers you magical powers and a garentueed spot in the afterlife in return for carrying out their will in. Once you've accepted the deal, you gain magical abilities that are connected in some way or form to the deity you made the pact with. This can manifest in a multitude of ways, like some control over that gods domains or abilities commonly associated with that god or the ability to summon equipment/animals/etc that are related to that deity in some way.

So for example, if your character makes a pact with Thor they could gain abilities like lightning manipulation or the ability to summon Mjolnir. Or if they make a pact with Inari they could get rice manipulation and the ability to summon a kitsune to fight on their behalf or even abilities similar to the kitsune's (like shapeshifting and the like).

Anyway, that's the gist of it. If you have anymore questions about it don't hesitate to ask. Below is a couple of rules and tidbits regarding the magic system:
  1. I'm gonna limit this rp to only "real" gods (as in real gods from actual real-world mythologies). Partly because I'm a huge mythology nerd and partly because this let me skip a ton of unnecessary worldbuilding.
  2. There are few exeptions from the previous rule. If a fictious person or whatever is so commonly accepted to be an part of an actual mythology that most just takes it as facf , then I'm gonna count them as a real god. For example, Pestilience would be counted as a real god despite not really being a part of Christianity (fun fact, the horseman on the white horse is more traditionally called Conquest. The interpretion of him as Pestilence is pretty new.)
  3. For obvious reasons, I'm gonna further restrict what gods you can form a pact with and say that any monotheistic god, as well as Muhammed and Jesus are off the table.
  4. You can't get the ability to cast magic (in the traditional sense, naturally) no matter what god you form a pact with. Admittedly, this rule only exists because I can't for the life of me figure how to include traditional magic without making it objectively better than the whole "pact with a god" thing. So if anyone can figure it out for me, I'll drop this rule.
  5. I'm using the term "god" very loosely. In short, you can form a pact with practically any person from any mythology, regardless of if they're actually a god or not.
  6. If you have a pretty cool character concept but are unsure how to make it work with this magic system, just tell me about it and we'll work something out.

• The gods can't directly interfer with the mortal world. They are limited to communicating with mortals via a form of telepathy.
  • Mythological creatures like dragons and kitsunes and, well, pretty much every other creature from any mythology exists in this world. However, ever since the Exile their number have steadily decreased and they're pretty rare nowadays.
  • I know the lore part probably didn't get that across very well, but this takes place in modern day America.
  • Despite me using the term magical girl, you can obviously play as a male vessel.

That's about it I think, if you have any questions or anything isn't clear enough feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I feel like I've seen this before.

Okay the answer to that is yes. Been there done that, though on a much more limited scale.

Anyway, I'll think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back