• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Twisting Halls (DND 5e)

Which sourcebook should be used for the side campaign?

• Total voters

GinkyGotBack

A Very Good Boy
Red-Box-cover-crop.jpg
So I've taken the starting adventure from the 4th Edition Red Box and remade it in the 5th Edition! Now all I need is a few adventurers daring enough to explore the dimly lit corridors of The Twisting Halls!

Your characters have been hired by Traevus, a quiet dwarf merchant, to help guard his wagon as you all make the journey towards Fallcrest. From there, the story will unfold into something that is entirely shaped by your character's actions and background. Why your character is traveling to Fallcrest or why they've decided to work for Traevus is completely up to you, and I encourage you to make up things to add to the world about to better shape your character's backstory.​

Things to Keep in Mind:
  • I'm looking for 4-5 players and I'll accept both new and experienced players.
  • All races, subraces, classes, and subclasses must be chosen from the Player's Handbook (PHB). Below are a few lists of available options for each of these things. You can select any background from any sourcebook (excluding Ravnica) or make one of your own.
  • This is all going to take place on RpN and all dice rolls are going to be made using the site's dice system. To use the system, all you have to do is make your post, hit the edit button and then you'll have the option to roll your dice!
  • You'll be making your rolls for your characters and posting your character sheets here and then later on the characters page after I've made it. You can either write it up here or make a CS using this editable PDF (You'll have to download it to be able to edit it) or you can make it offsite and send a link here.
  • I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have, including those about the character creation process for all you new players!

Dwarf
- Hill Dwarf
- Mountain Dwarf

Elf
- High Elf
-Wood Elf
- Dark Elf (Drow)

Halfling
- Lightfoot Halfling
- Stout Halfling

Human
- Variant Human

Dragonborn
- Black
- Blue
- Brass
- Bronze
- Copper
- Gold
- Green
- Red
- Silver
- White

Gnome
- Forest Gnome
- Rock Gnome

Half-Elf

Half-Orc

Tiefling
Barbarian
- Berserker
- Totem

Bard
- Lore
- Valor

Cleric
- Knowledge
- Life
- Light
- Nature
- Tempest
- Trickery
- War

Druid
- Land
- Moon

Fighter
- Champion
- Battlemaster
- Eldritch Knight

Monk
- Open Hand
- Shadow
- Four Elements

Paladin
- Devotion
- Ancients
- Vengeance

Ranger
- Hunter
- Beast Master

Rogue
- Thief
- Assassin
- Arcane Trickster

Sorcerer
- Draconic
- Wild

Warlock
- Archfey
- Fiend
- Great Old One

Wizard
- Abjuration
- Conjuration
- Divination
- Enchantment
- Evocation
- Illusion
- Necromancy
- Transmutation

If enough people get interested in this, I may split them into two or even three groups, and each group will have access to different sourcebooks. I.e. Group 2 can only play as races from Volo's while the third group may only be able to play as races from Mordenkainen's.

I have some experience in d&d, but I'm still a newbie. I'm definitely interested in this.
Hm. Never really did any sort of play-by-post with D&D, but might as well give it a try.

If you guys need any help with the character creation process just let me know! It seems you can't use the dice system in the interest check, so I'll get to work on making a characters page shortly so you you guys can get started with rolling your stats.

Looks interesting. I'd be willing to give it a shot. I understand most of 5e, may make some mistakes. Never did a D&D play by post though if that'll be an issue. Fast learner though!

Looks interesting. I'd be willing to give it a shot. I understand most of 5e, may make some mistakes. Never did a D&D play by post though if that'll be an issue. Fast learner though!
No worries, it seems like everyone interested so far hasn't had much experience with PbP so you definitely won't be alone there.

I'm going to get to work on the characters page now, so everyone hold tight for a minute or two!

Is there room for one more? I've played one short campaign before!

Is there room for one more? I've played one short campaign before!
Sure, I wouldn't mind just one more person for the group! And we'd be happy to help you get reacquainted with all the rules and things if it's been a while since your last campaign! Head on over to the character thread I linked above and you can roll for your stats. We roll 4d6, take away the lowest rolled number, add the rest up and do that five more times until we get all our stats.

Would love to join if any slots open up. I know how to make a Character but still wet behind the ears with RPing. Currently trying to find gropes to come out of my comfort zone of not being very sociable. Doing OK so far with another grope I'm RPing with in a 'when you can, make a post' way. Currently on hold due to GMs real life catching up and causing problems.

Bright Bright Tardy Grade Tardy Grade Vaneheart Vaneheart Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Endless_Stars Endless_Stars

I may begin working on a side campaign if any of you would be interested in that. It may not be nearly as long as the Twisting Halls/Points of Light campaign but hopefully, it will be just as interesting. At some point, this group may meet up with the group from the main campaign and from there, who knows what may happen? The goals of the group may align or change, perhaps members from each group will decide to join the other. Whatever may happen, we'll get to it if and when we get there.

If you're interested, you will have to decide amongst yourselves which sourcebook you will be using for Races and Class options. Your choices are Volo's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. This does mean that you will not be able to pick from the basic Races or Race Archetypes for races like Hill/Mountain Dwarves and High/Wood/Drow Elves. Characters may start between levels 1 through 4 depending on how experienced you want them to be at adventuring during this point in their lives. The setting will be the same as the main campaign, that being Nentir Vale.

Below is a list of the available races, race variants and class options within each book:

Aasimar (Protector/Scourge/Fallen)
[*]Firbolg
[*]Goliath
[*]Kenku
[*]Lizardfolk
[*]Tabaxi
[*]Triton
[*]Bugbear
[*]Goblin
[*]Hobgoblin
[*]Kobold
[*]Orc
[*]Yuan-Ti Pureblood
While Xanathar's Guide has no race options, it has a plethora of class options and spells for you to choose from. This does however mean that you will be forced to use the base races from the Player's Handbook. Choosing this sourcebook does not exclude you from using the vanilla class options.

Barbarian
  • Ancestral Guardian
  • Storm Herald
  • Zealot
Bard
  • Glamour
  • Swords
  • Whispers
Cleric
  • Forge
  • Grave
Druid
  • Dreams
  • Shepard
Fighter
  • Arcane Archer
  • Cavalier
  • Samurai
Monk
  • Drunken Master
  • Kensei
  • Sun Soul
Paladin
  • Conquest
  • Redemption
Ranger
  • Gloom Stalker
  • Horizon Walker
  • Monster Slayer

Rogue
  • Inquisitive
  • Mastermind
  • Scout
  • Swashbuckler
Sorcerer
  • Divine
  • Shadow
  • Storm
Warlock
  • Celestial
  • Hexblade
Wizard
  • War
Tieflings (Baphomet, Demogorgon, Fraz-Urb'luu, Graz'zt, Juiblex, Orcus, Yeenoghu, Zuggtmoy)
[*]Elves (Eladrin, Sea, Shadar-Kai/Shadow)
[*]Dwarf (Duergar/Dark/Gray)
[*]Gith (Githyanki/Githzerai)
[*]Gnome (Deep Gnome)

For those of you who might be reading this and wonder "what the heck is all this," I will be happy to explain all these options to you personally as well as help you develop a character using said options. If you do have questions, feel free to PM me here on RpN and I'll try to get to you when I can! Please keep in mind that as we will be doing this post-by-post, the pace of the game may slow down some due to conflicting time zones and schedules. Thanks for reading and have a good day or night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back