Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is supposed to be a collaboration between us, but quite frankly it seems more about what you want than me. I show you my OC, but you reject her. You want me to twist her to your liking, but I don’t want to because (a) it contradicts her as a whole and (b) at this point she isn’t mine anymore. It’s not fair, you’re the only one who has done this with this character.

People who say, oh yes I read your rules and I respect everything. Including your need for more time to reply, don’t worry take all the time you need.

Seconds later. So, are you still interested you haven’t been replying.

Why are you asking me questions that are answered in my search thread? Why are you messaging me with suggestions that I clearly stated that I won’t do in my search thread? Yes, you’ve probably looked at dozens of threads, but please, if there are points you don’t remember, go back and look before messaging me. By making me repeat things, it tells me that you probably won’t pay attention to my posts in the RP.

Why are you asking me questions that are answered in my search thread? Why are you messaging me with suggestions that I clearly stated that I won’t do in my search thread? Yes, you’ve probably looked at dozens of threads, but please, if there are points you don’t remember, go back and look before messaging me. By making me repeat things, it tells me that you probably won’t pay attention to my posts in the RP.
Preach!! I honestly think the people who do this don’t actually read requests but rather skim over them until they get to the parts they want to see:

I just finished a massive rant about how I feel compelled to take any measures necessary to ensure my characters are completely unique 100% of the time, so doesn't immediately saying that you want to use one of my character ideas strike you as even a little bit of a dick move?

One very specific one is me internally FUMING at an adult man who was using the fact he was roleplaying with a 14yo girl to make himself seem better like 'see I'll even roleplay with little kids' like that girl is better at writing than you? And acts more mature? Um????

He got kicked from the Discord but I was kinda pissed

Are you even reading my replies at all?! My character asked you a question after making a statement, it’s literally the last sentence of that post and hard to miss... So why didn’t you answer it in your next post?!
It’s literally like this person only replies to one sentence of my whole reply!! Ugh...

A kitsune? Really? We've got a fae, a mummy, a werewolf, Frankenstein's monster, and a sea monster, and you're bringing that weeb/furry crossover episode to the table? Read the room, man.

A kitsune? Really? We've got a fae, a mummy, a werewolf, Frankenstein's monster, and a sea monster, and you're bringing that weeb/furry crossover episode to the table? Read the room, man.
A kitsune is still a monster lol just because you‘re close-minded and won’t accept anything that hasn‘t been popularized in western culture doesn’t make it not as eligible as a mummy. What a dumb judgement.

A kitsune is still a monster lol just because you‘re close-minded and won’t accept anything that hasn‘t been popularized in western culture doesn’t make it not as eligible as a mummy. What a dumb judgement.
You need to read the room, too. Kitsune are monsters, yes, but they're distinctively cultural spirits who are moderately annoying at worst. They bring a completely different mood and feel to the game than Western horror media monsters. We had to talk another player out of making a dragon character for the same reasons, and I love dragons more than any of the monsters already present.

I think he meant that the rp was about horror pulp fiction? It is kind of a western thing.
(Then again, a fae is also a bit of a stretch)

Kitsunes are cool, but people often stuff them with a lot of cultural baggage. Katanas, yukatas, jap names... It's all fine and dandy, but maybe not in a traditional Tolkienesque fantasy. If you are gonna make an all out Kitsune make sure the setting allows for it.

Or adapt it to fit the tone of the roleplay.

People who request weird/unsavoury things and then claim the moral high ground. Admittedly I've probably done this myself once or twice, but it does annoy me. Jeez, hypocritical much?

Last edited:
I mean, can't the same logic apply to fae?

Also, there definitely are tales of Kitsune being much worse than moderately annoying.
That player is playing up the re-fanged "kidnaps babies and steals names" aspect of fae, which is uncommon, but works. But I've seen neither hide nor hair of any media that points towards kitsune being actively dangerous or malevolent. And, as Sludge Sludge above mentions, it's really hard to isolate aspects of Japanese culture.

That player is playing up the re-fanged "kidnaps babies and steals names" aspect of fae, which is uncommon, but works. But I've seen neither hide nor hair of any media that points towards kitsune being actively dangerous or malevolent. And, as Sludge Sludge above mentions, it's really hard to isolate aspects of Japanese culture.
That's true, I read a story where the fae kept human slaves and killed them for sport.

That player is playing up the re-fanged "kidnaps babies and steals names" aspect of fae, which is uncommon, but works. But I've seen neither hide nor hair of any media that points towards kitsune being actively dangerous or malevolent
Among other things, Kitsune was believed to help sorcerers curse other people. That's prettty dangerous and malevolent.

it's really hard to isolate aspects of Japanese culture.
Eh, it's just as hard as isolating aspect of Egyptian culture and yet a mummy proved to be no issue.

Also they’re ya know fictional creatures. There is absolutely nothing to say the Kitsune is an angry spirit possessing a human host OR a human fox hybrid made ala frankenstein.

Like if you have a specific style of monster there is absolutely no reason you can’t make any fictional creature fit that style if you work on it.

Honestly this feels a bit like the time I wanted to do a civil war role play and they were each going to send a character to negotiate while they lived with the other side. They created a fourteen year old and while that could've worked in a different scenario, it didn't remotely fit the theme.

Yeah people not fitting a theme is a separate problem to concepts not fitting the theme.

Like you can have a character who meets the technical aspects of realism in the roleplay but doesn’t have the right theme.

ex. Let’s say I write a roleplay where magical animals are real but they act like Pokémon (they basically replace real animals in the ecological sense). If you make some kind of anime-esque talking puffball with super powers it’s gonna look weird. Not because talking animals won’t work in this world but because you haven’t explained how the animal evolved to be able to do that.

Also they’re ya know fictional creatures. There is absolutely nothing to say the Kitsune is an angry spirit possessing a human host OR a human fox hybrid made ala frankenstein.

Like if you have a specific style of monster there is absolutely no reason you can’t make any fictional creature fit that style if you work on it.
But that requires loose, reachy interpretations, which would still stick out against the traditional or media-popular depictions of the other monsters. Brute force can't make anything fit a particular setting, and sometimes, you have to meet everything else halfway.

Yes! Although a lot of the time people just jam it in as is.

We usually have complete creative freedom over these things. You can make an alien and call it a kitsune. Nothing is stopping you.

Or maybe don't call it a kitsune and just do whatever the hell you want with it. Its your character.

But that requires loose, reachy interpretations, which would still stick out against the traditional or media-popular depictions of the other monsters. Brute force can't make anything fit a particular setting, and sometimes, you have to meet everything else halfway.

So the fact that you think those are remotely reachy interpretations is entirely the problem. You seem to be one of those people who finds one interpretation and just assumes it's the only one in existence and that everyone else must adhere to it. The fox spirit example is actually one interpretation of kitsune (admittedly I don't remember off hand which specific country it was from). The idea of a fox / human hybrid is also not super outside of the realm of the classic movie monster mythos. I mean for god sake you gonna tell me that it's totally plausible that a person reanimated a dead human corpse but the idea that someone else would mix human and animal limbs together to create a hybrid is a bridge too far? Dude the fuck? What exactly do you think Frankenstein is?

My point is you already allowed for alternative intepretation that you say fit the narrative with the fae. So if you are willing to do it with one type of monster/mythical being there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing it for other monster/mythical beings. They are literally all made up and so their stories can be adapted to any medium you want them to be adapted into.

Yes! Although a lot of the time people just jam it in as is.

We usually have complete creative freedom over these things. You can make an alien and call it a kitsune. Nothing is stopping you.

Or maybe don't call it a kitsune and just do whatever the hell you want with it. Its your character.

Exactly it is literally a made up concept that can be made to fit whatever you want. To that end I did read a book series once where the central theme was that all mythological beings are actually aliens that are vacationing on Earth. So in that case a kitsune WOULD be an alien and they could have whatever the fuck powers you wanted to give them. As the idea is that all the human myths are basically cobbled together accounts of some alien on vacation wilding out.

So the fact that you think those are remotely reachy interpretations is entirely the problem. You seem to be one of those people who finds one interpretation and just assumes it's the only one in existence and that everyone else must adhere to it. The fox spirit example is actually one interpretation of kitsune (admittedly I don't remember off hand which specific country it was from). The idea of a fox / human hybrid is also not super outside of the realm of the classic movie monster mythos. I mean for god sake you gonna tell me that it's totally plausible that a person reanimated a dead human corpse but the idea that someone else would mix human and animal limbs together to create a hybrid is a bridge too far? Dude the fuck? What exactly do you think Frankenstein is?

My point is you already allowed for alternative intepretation that you say fit the narrative with the fae. So if you are willing to do it with one type of monster/mythical being there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing it for other monster/mythical beings. They are literally all made up and so their stories can be adapted to any medium you want them to be adapted into.
No, I said that you have to be consistent. If you're reinterpreting a mythical creature in a way that aligns with all of the other mythical creatures that already in the setting, that's fine and dandy. But if the rest of them are being portrayed as their most common (or second most common) versions, then you don't fucking do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back