• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom The Second Rebellion - Skyrim Interest Check

Well, we are mainly focusing on the province of Skyrim for the most part.

But I don't think they conquered all of Tamriel yet, so it's a safe no.

@Barbas

@Barbas

Yeah, pretty much. I think we can assume that's their end goal, but they have to get a better hold of Skyrim before they can really do that.

@Barbas

Than how exactly would the Thalmor get to Skyrim? I mean, it's not like the Summerset Isles are near Skyrim.

latest

Than how exactly would the Thalmor get to Skyrim? I mean, it's not like the Summerset Isles are near Skyrim.

The Thalmor already have a presence in Skyrim's higher politics and have been gaining power as the War went on. There were already three factions vying for power and the Thalmor were able to take advantage of the situation and slip in over both of the other two. The idea is that now the other two have realized their mistake and, hopefully, may be willing to work together against a common enemy. What happens after that enemy is defeated is up in the air, but that's part of the idea at the moment.

19 minutes ago, AlbaGuBrath said:

The Thalmor already have a presence in Skyrim's higher politics and have been gaining power as the War went on. There were already three factions vying for power and the Thalmor were able to take advantage of the situation and slip in over both of the other two. The idea is that now the other two have realized their mistake and, hopefully, may be willing to work together against a common enemy. What happens after that enemy is defeated is up in the air, but that's part of the idea at the moment.

Mainly we justed looked at the game and kinda build from there.

:/

I've got a blacksmith character who would likely fit in around the encampments. Would she be welcome? Also, how long after the events of Skyrim is this being set? 6 months, 6 years, 16 years?

I've got a blacksmith character who would likely fit in around the encampments. Would she be welcome? Also, how long after the events of Skyrim is this being set? 6 months, 6 years, 16 years?

Very likely. We already have my Khajiit and another person is talking about having a former Imperial who is also fighting the Thalmor.

I'm guessing it's about a few months to a year after the Thalmor have taken power, probably after a few years of fighting between the Empire and Stormcloaks.

Bumping this up now that the holidays are done.

So, we already have some basic ideas for a plot and characters, but does anyone have suggestions for building on that? One thing we were discussing originally was that it had been a while since the rebels had actually had a leader or any real structure, so even the ones who were formerly soldiers are pretty ragtag, not to mention the new recruits who have joined since the Thalmor takeover. So, we talked about @Beta✯'s general trying to build them back into a proper force -resume training, maintain disipline, etc. - as they travel to find Ulfric. Of course, with different personalities, motivations, or ideas of how to lead, there would surely be internal conflict as well. The idea was that the goal would be for the group to learn to work together despite their differences to be able to reach a common goal. I think this would be especially interesting if you do decide to use a former Imperial, @Dragonix975. If anyone is interested, it might also be interesting to have some double-dealings or spies at some point. That could go either way, spying for the Thalmor or the rebels. Should most of story be about the journey to reach Ulfric and focus on the interaction within the group or would y'all prefer to reach him quickly and focus more on the fight against the Thalmor? Or, perhaps, some sort of mixture? Other ideas are also welcome.

I think the whole deal with RPs is that you are creating a story alongside others who have their own ideas about where the story should go. As such, it's always good to be able to join in with, combat, or create a branching path with your post based on someone else's. As such, I think we shouldn't waylay the group interaction at all - and, in fact, I believe the ideas about spies and such would be a good idea. Ulfric could be found after a good amount of world-building and character development, as well as relationship development, so that there is more tension and more at risk. The final battle is the final huge tension point, where characters you love or you've learned to love might get killed off. As such, each character, given what we've been doing with character development, will react differently, and even have their own reasons for fighting at that point.

So, in summary, I'd say the End Goal(s) are to a) find Ulfric (first) and b) defeat the Thalmor (second). The character development, events between characters and where the characters actually go geographically, will create the story and advance the plot towards the End Goal(s). Definitely don't sell one for the other, because your idea has the potential to develop characters that will in turn develop the plot and goal tension, and vice versa.

I also like the way that the first goal is to find Ulfric before they go to defeat the Thalmor - it gives the tension time to ramp up through each plot point.

As for my character, he's very indecisive and on-the-fence about things, so it could easily be possible that he'd have holdups about applying himself to one side or the other.

@AlbaGuBrath 

Bumping this up now that the holidays are done.

So, we already have some basic ideas for a plot and characters, but does anyone have suggestions for building on that? One thing we were discussing originally was that it had been a while since the rebels had actually had a leader or any real structure, so even the ones who were formerly soldiers are pretty ragtag, not to mention the new recruits who have joined since the Thalmor takeover. So, we talked about @Beta✯'s general trying to build them back into a proper force -resume training, maintain disipline, etc. - as they travel to find Ulfric. Of course, with different personalities, motivations, or ideas of how to lead, there would surely be internal conflict as well. The idea was that the goal would be for the group to learn to work together despite their differences to be able to reach a common goal. I think this would be especially interesting if you do decide to use a former Imperial, @Dragonix975. If anyone is interested, it might also be interesting to have some double-dealings or spies at some point. That could go either way, spying for the Thalmor or the rebels. Should most of story be about the journey to reach Ulfric and focus on the interaction within the group or would y'all prefer to reach him quickly and focus more on the fight against the Thalmor? Or, perhaps, some sort of mixture? Other ideas are also welcome.

How about an idea to uncover something about the Dragonborn

Any CS?

@0stinato Those are some good points! I think it definitely would be interesting to learn about the characters individually and what makes them tick, so to speak. I did have a couple questions that I didn't quite understand.

First, what do you mean by not waylaying group interaction? Do you mean not plotting out every relationship ahead of time or not spending too much time focusing on it? Personally, I'm more inclined to focusing on the group and the way they interact and deal with conflict, with the external conflict being what puts them together and provides the stakes you mentioned, but that's definitely flexible.

Also, you mentioned them traveling geographically. Do you mean like us actually having a map and tracing where the characters are on that map? I think that's a really neat idea, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented. Did you have any ideas?

@Dragonix975 That's a possibility. Maybe there are rumors that the Dragonborn has returned and both groups want to win them over, or at least keep the other from getting them?

Do you mean a CS form or if anyone else has posted their character? I have mine in my Portal, but I can paste it here if that's easier. I think Beta is using a character they used for another RP, but you might want to ask them first in case they want to tweak him first.

If anyone wants to post their CS or pitch ideas, you're more than welcome. This is more planning and plotting than anything.

@0stinato Those are some good points! I think it definitely would be interesting to learn about the characters individually and what makes them tick, so to speak. I did have a couple questions that I didn't quite understand.

First, what do you mean by not waylaying group interaction? Do you mean not plotting out every relationship ahead of time or not spending too much time focusing on it? Personally, I'm more inclined to focusing on the group and the way they interact and deal with conflict, with the external conflict being what puts them together and provides the stakes you mentioned, but that's definitely flexible.

Also, you mentioned them traveling geographically. Do you mean like us actually having a map and tracing where the characters are on that map? I think that's a really neat idea, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented. Did you have any ideas?

@Dragonix975 That's a possibility. Maybe there are rumors that the Dragonborn has returned and both groups want to win them over, or at least keep the other from getting them?

Do you mean a CS form or if anyone else has posted their character? I have mine in my Portal, but I can paste it here if that's easier. I think Beta is using a character they used for another RP, but you might want to ask them first in case they want to tweak him first.

If anyone wants to post their CS or pitch ideas, you're more than welcome. This is more planning and plotting than anything.

Oh.CS form

@AlbaGuBrath

What you've said for group interaction there - personally wanting to focus on the relationships, loves/hates, ideals and realities of each character - seems to be exactly what I think will make the RP great. By 'waylaying' I meant that it shouldn't be put aside for the purpose of getting to the end of the RP, which I don't think is your intention. So, yes, what you've said is what I believe will make an interesting and enjoyable RP.

And perhaps creating a basic map of places might be useful. There would have to be the main Uprising base (Not sure what else to call it, but they're uprising against the threat of Thalmor takeover so) of operations, different holds and cities would have different allegiances, and we all know what Skyrim looks like. Also, if the characters have to travel anywhere (ie, to check out leads for finding Ulfric), knowing where they'd be going and how they'd get there wouldn't be a bad option. Whether they're travelling North to the Sea of Ghosts to investigate a wrecked ship that's been traced to Ulfric, or delving into a cave deep in the heart of the Reach. It would only require a small change to the map of Skyrim - a mark for where safehouses or safeareas or such are, and which cities/holds are on which side of the fence.

Oh.CS form

Oh, okay. You can use whatever form you think works best for you, though I do think it would be good to discuss what they believe and their motivations or goals. The form I used was

Name:

Race:

Strengths: (Three character or personality strengths e.g. "loyalty, speed, determination")

Weaknesses: (Three)

Major Skills: (Three from the Skill Tree, e.g. "Archery, Sneak, Speech")

Minor Skills: (Three)

Appearance: (An image or description)

Items: (a few supplies or tools they usually have on their person)

Weapons: (preferred weapon type, fighting style, strengths/weaknesses, etc.)

Personality:

History:

Goals:

Of course, you can add or subtract items as you like.

@0stinato That's really neat! And maybe places could be added as we discover them, sort of how the map in the game works? I'm not an artist by any means, but I'd be willing to try to make a map once I have a computer. Or someone else could do that, if they prefer.

Oh, by the way, if y'all wanted to see the character I was going to use, here she is. Apologies for the length, I can't figure out how to put it in a spoiler tag...

Name: Saorat

Race: Khajiit

Strengths: Loyalty, speed, dedication

Weaknesses: Timid, hot-headed, distrustful

Major Skills: Archery, Sneak, Speech

Minor Skills: Light Armor, Lockpicking, Restoration

Appearance:  [SIZE=60.28593635559082px]
11M0vFCEKH9b9FnvFPEKkNh_yNMLkMn_FlJknP0v_CnIMz9D9Mq70hn8da3l9phWzmIJGOZ5tCjUbHyy9eoQtOXbVWjAF2PQwkH6Ws3mZ6OMX5PdzyV2o5bCs5bWZ3G7c_8tRXi8
[/SIZE]

(Art by chives at Neo.)

(If that image is messing up, let me know... It looks weird on my phone, but I don't know if it will always do that.)

Items: Set of Stormcloak armor or leather armor (for when going undercover), fine bow and steel arrows, a set of civilian clothing (a long brown dress trimmed with fur), a traveling pouch containing a few supplies

Occupation:  Originally a traveler, then a soldier in the Stormcloak army. Now, she is part of the resistance.

Weapons: Saorat fights almost exclusively with a bow, and is deadly accurate. She prefers to sneak to a good place and shoot from behind objects until she is discovered. Once this happens, she stands and just keeps firing, running and jumping as needed. Obviously, this can sometimes have bad consequences, and she has more than once had to turn tail and run from a conflict until she gained a chance to recover and sneak in again. In a pinch, she has a handful of novice spells at her disposal but is completely untrained with any sort of blade. In her hands, a sword just flails wildly and a shield is only a burden. If trapped with no bow or magic, she'd be better off just to fight with fists and claws.

Personality: Growing up in Skyrim and living closely beside Nords for the last four years, Saorat shares some of the beliefs of her neighbors, but differs in other respects. She holds honor and courage in high regard, but does not consider sneak attacks, ambushes, or guerilla warfare to be dishonorable, though agrees that harming civilians is. She has no qualms about running from a fight if the need arises, but remains defiant until that point. She strives to be true to her word, but will bend the truth or outright lie if necessary to protect the lives of her friends.

While she has little love for the Imperials, she does not hate them or have any wish to destroy them, only drive them out. For this reason, she will usually accept surrender, though she has been known to lose her temper, which bothers her greatly. Regarding the Thalmor, however, she has far less mercy. This is especially true after the murder of Ulfric, who she loved as a king and father. To her shame, this has led to a deep distrust of elves in general and Altmer in particular, although she always said she would never judge based on race. She still is willing to associate with Bosmer and Dunmer if the need arises and will welcome them as a friend if they prove to be one, but they have to go a bit further than they once did to earn her trust. Excepting extraordinary circumstances, she wants nothing to do with Altmer.

She does not follow Talos herself, but respects him as any other and is sympathetic to those affected by his banning. After hearing about him from the other soldiers, this respect has grown. She is deeply troubled by the thought of dying away from her new family and secretly hopes that the Nord deities would accept an outsider into their halls, though she has never said so outright for fear of ridicule.

She is distrustful and could be described as paranoid or anxious, but is deeply loyal to those she loves. She has a hot temper, especially about touchy subjects, that she fights hard to keep under control. Most of the time it only manifests itself in a furious glare and clipped words, but it has broken out into a fight in the past.This temper and a stubborn defiant streak was the source of much difficulty when she first entered the army because of a resistance to authority and a tendency to question orders or ignore them if she felt the need. Her time in the army has taught her discipline, but it does reappear from time to time.

Her education is very limited, mostly just basic math and survival skills, and can neither read nor write. However, she is insatiably curious and a quick learner, and is always eager to add to her skillset. Because of her background, she is extremely frugal and good at making the most of whatever resources she has available. Even if she does happen to come into a bit of coin, she is loath to waste it, though she is generous in giving to others. She is also a talented sneak and persuader, though she is reluctant to use them for ill-means unless absolutely necessary.

*History: Saorat was born in Skyrim to a pair of travelling merchants, Amkher and Adaisi,  who decided to settle down in the area. Mostly, it was her father’s idea, for he had developed a love for the mountains and wilderness during his travels. The pair settled in Riften,mostly because it was the only city that would have them, and they struggled to make a living through his hunting and selling meats and furs and her alchemy and healing skills. Saorat’s father taught her the value of hard work and encouraged her to make an honorable life for herself.

Growing up in Riften, crime was definitely a problem, but the young cub was entirely oblivious of it.To her, it was a paradise full of exciting places to explore with her best friend, Dubha. When they were a bit older, Dubha brought Saorat into the Ratway to meet her “family”, the Thieves’ Guild, and begged Saorat to take the initiation with her. Saorat was initially reluctant, but finally agreed for the sake of her bond-sister. The two worked together on every job and were very good, but Saorat quickly developed a distaste for the shady lifestyle and the suspicious glares she got from the shopkeepers. She also found it harder and harder to hide her involvement from her parents and felt that she was shaming them and their hard work.

One day, Amkher came home very sick from an illness he contracted in the wilds and, despite Adaisi’s healing abilities, he soon died. Both surviving members were stricken with grief and Adaisi decided she no longer wanted to live in their now-lacking home. Without warning, she packed up their few possessions, woke her sleeping daughter, and the pair headed out for Elsewyr. It was morning before Saorat realized that she forgot to say anything to Dubha. Once there, however, she found that she missed the mountains and snow, the proud people, and the rich songs of Skyrim. While Elsewyr was filled with people like her, she felt strange and out-of-place, and longed for the place she considered home. She lived there with her mother for two years, but eventually saved enough to be able to return.

After weeks of walking, she finally had Bruma to her back and could see into Skyrim. Excitement overtook her exhaustion and she began to run toward the welcoming border. However, things had changed since she left and she never thought to watch for soldiers in the trees. She found herself in a confusing jumble of leather and steel, rusty red and blue-green. She fought frantically against the nearest soldier to her, not concerned that his armor was red, in a desperate attempt to get away but was overpowered and bound in a trice. Her nondescript hide armor didn’t show one side or the other but the soldier she fought insisted that she must be one of the enemy, despite her wails to the contrary and the confusion of the men.

As she sat in the snow and struggling to understand what was going on, she heard about the war. She had heard rumors of it in her travels and felt somewhat sympathetic, but never imagined that she would find herself in the middle of it. She didn’t have much time to think about it, however, because the escaped soldiers from the earlier skirmish had returned with reinforcements to rescue their brethren. The remaining patrol routed and the rescuers cut the cords around the prisoners’ wrists, including, to her surprise, Saorat’s. They immediately took to the trees with a bewildered Khajiit in their wake.

She followed them back to their camp seeking to satisfy her curiosity and for some measure of security. One of them, the soldier who cut her loose, noticed her and invited her to warm her paws. She considered running away then, but was surprised to find that the soldiers, though they regarded her with obvious confusion and surprise, didn’t openly treat her as a criminal. After hearing how she walked all the way from Elsewyr to return home, the man, whose name was Ruadh, remarked that she must dearly love Skyrim and invited her to join them in their fight to liberate it. At first, she was uninterested, as she regarded the conflict as a war between men, but decided it was a better alternative than returning back to the squalor of Riften. If nothing else, it could be an opportunity to earn a name for herself beyond the shadows and to find a family to belong to.

When she was brought to Windhelm, she found the same suspicion she met in Riften and was almost forbidden from entering the Jarl’s court. They were finally granted an audience with Ulfric and she had the opportunity to see the man she heard so much about. He was an imposing and powerful figure and listened with open surprise as the escort explained why they had come. When he insisted that she speak for herself, she told him that Skyrim was her home, though she left out her desire for glory and adventure. He allowed her to take the Oath, which was more than she expected, and simply said “Make me proud.” She thought little of this first order, but eventually came to realize that he expected the same from her as the others. No more, no less, just like she was one of them. This would sink deep into her heart and grow into a strong devotion to the Jarl and a determination to honor his choice in allowing her to stay.

However, that was not yet to come. Shortly after she returned to the camp as a Stormcloak in name, but a mercenary in motive, they had their first battle. She had never seen war before or ever harmed another person and became terribly sick immediately afterward. Fear and horror haunted her until she wanted to desert. Ruadh reminded her of her oath and her duty to uphold it and though she vehemently spat that she didn’t need Nord honor, inside she knew he was right, She remained in the army, but still felt unhappy and hollow. She listened to the other soldiers speak of generations-old farms, spouses and children back home, their love for their land and their homes, and found herself wishing that she had something like that to fight for. After a time, however, she began to realize that she did. Though she wouldn't have imagined it before, she felt a comradeship with the others and fought for them in the same way they fought for families back home. She still shrank from killing and hated to see the death of friend or foe, but was determined to protect her friends and the values they cherish

She spent three years in the Stormcloak army and grew more and more dedicated as time went on. She began closer friends with Ruadh and his sister Fira, as well as with several other soldiers in the company. They were near Whiterun when they received news of Ulfric’s death, to the horror and fury of all present, and the three vowed that they wouldn’t leave each other or stop fighting until their king’s murder was avenged and their duty to free Skyrim completed. Some time later, they heard a rumor that Ulfric had actually escaped and was gathering men to him to fight the Thalmor. As soon as they heard this, the group immediately began to seek him out.

What are your characters goals?: To keep herself and her family (the surviving Stormcloaks) alive as long as possible and to keep fighting until the Thalmor are gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AlbaGuBrath I'll post what I've got so far, in case you want me to change anything prior to us getting started (so I can post him up and we won't use time)

I'm also happy to fiddle with the map, provided I know what you think about each city and hold - what sides do you think they'd be on?

Name: Kumiko Arkia Tora (the Arkia is VERY important - wouldn't want you to go mistaking him for any OTHER Kumiko Tora now would we)
Race: Khajiit and a damn sexy one. Has Vampire Lord blood. Don't tell anyone.
Sexuality: Bisexual. Current object of affection: Dumb bby Farkas
Strengths: Avenging, Orienteering, Climbing.
Weaknesses: Decision making, remembering things, getting stuck in difficult locations.
Major Skills: Sneak, One-Handed, Archery
Minor Skills: Counjouration, Destruction, Enchanting
Appearance:

Better J KUMI.jpg

His fur colour changes depending on what stage of vampirism he's at. Stage 1 and 2 do not change his appearance. However, at stages 3 and 4, his fur is white, and his eyes are orange.
Items: Enchanted scimitar (fire damage), a necklace to neutralise fire damage, a Ring of Namira, a couple of phials of blood, the Cliff Racer drink, skooma to add to the Cliff Racer (tsk tsk), a bow of some description, some sort of dagger (enchanted with Soul Trap), some sort of heavy armour, Vermina robes (for casual occasions).
Weapons: Kumiko is pretty proficient at everything because he's very indecisive. He goes through phases. Sometimes he uses a one-handed weapon and a shield, sometimes he goes for a bow, sometimes it's all sneaking around with a dagger, sometimes he runs around with a greatsword or a battleaxe... right now he likes using his scimitar... purely because he loves the fact it's a scimitar. He'd often conjour a fire atronach or cast flame cloak (depending on his level). Mainly at the moment he uses a dagger or his scimitar, alongside a heavy-armour shield (go big or go home right?) He wears heavy armour though is good at sneaking. Its weight gives him a disadvantage there, but if he can sneak in heavy armour he can sneak in anything, even nude.
Personality: Kumiko sometimes falls into that category of 'annoying friend'. He's one of those people who, when he does something wrong, he playfully blames someone else for it. This can get annoying quite fast. If he's in combat he's much more focussed, depending on the situation. A difficult fight he'll put all his energy to. A relatively easy one and he'll be prodding a corpse or something. Even though he has a Ring of Namira and subsequently eats people, he maintains that he's NOT, in fact, a cannibal because he has never eaten a Khajiit. Kumiko can go from Sneaky to Reckless, but it's unlikely there's any in-between. It's either sneak and not be seen or rush in all guns blazing and probably get injured. He also falls off bridges a lot. And he swears all mudcrabs are out to get him for some reason. His relationships with important people would probably make anyone think he has a death wish - he constantly challenges Maven Black-Briar to "come and get him", kicks things off the Jarl of Whiterun's tables, and tries to sit on the Jarl of Morthal's face (he managed it once when he was drunk). He also tried to put the moves on the Jarl Law-Giver in Riften and, as a result, brawled with the Jarl's youngest son.
Outlook on the Rebellion: Unable to decide which side to be on in the first rebellion, he toyed with the idea of forming a third faction. He'd call it the Kumikites and he'd lead the charge for racial equality and for the Imperials to stop trying to take Talos away and for the Stormcloaks to stop being meanies to lots of other non-Nord races. In particular, he was a bit upset when he realised Khajiit weren't even allowed into cities. (how did he become Thane again?) As such, he wanted to prove that Khajiit, if they were given somewhere to stay and allowed to make honest livings, wouldn't have to sell skooma and steal to make a living. However, he gave up on the idea when he realised he steals and sells skooma to children, so he wouldn't make a very good figurehead.
History: His time in Skyrim had its ups and downs. Some ups were when he met Farkas and subsequently wanted to marry him. However, he always thought Vilkas wouldn't let him. Another up was when he began to go on adventures with Erik the Slayer, Erik becoming Kumi's BFF. Some downs, however, was having to share his Riften house with the housecarl, Iona. He rectified this situation by sacrificing her to Boethiah. He mainly wasted his time running around from mudcrabs and finding his way back onto the path from bridges he'd taken a nosedive off, and getting stuck on roofs/in boxes/in caves/his armour. Honestly it's a miracle he's not dead yet.
Personal Goal: To become a Daedra somehow. He's got it all planned out. Kumiko Arkia Tora, Daedra of Procrastination and Distraction. Also to marry Farkas.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AlbaGuBrath I'm not sure how well Saorat and Kumi would get along but... they both have fluffy tails right, that must count for something.

@AlbaGuBrath I'm not sure how well Saorat and Kumi would get along but... they both have fluffy tails right, that must count for something.

Yeah, she'd certainly be very happy to see another Khajiit around. She hasn't encountered many since her return to Skyrim. She also probably be quite entertained by his stories of Riften, especially at the expense of a few old foes.

On the other hand, she is probably much more serious than he is, which would probably irritate them both. She may also distrust his motivations or be suspicious of his loyalty. Skooma and daedra are also two things she very strongly disapproves of and avoids, so there's that too.

I honestly think it would be hilarious... (x

Oh, I missed your note about the map. I haven't really thought much about where the strongholds and such might be...

I think Windhelm and nearby regions should still be sympathetic to the rebels, though they would still be watched carefully, and maybe Whiterun or Riften. I figure that there wouldn't be anywhere that anyone could openly support the rebels, but that there were a few cities and towns where they knew they would receive some support or protection. On the other hand, there should definitely be some places that are absolutely not safe for them. I think maybe the small communities would be safer than the cities, less guards and people with less to lose.

@AlbaGuBrath You make good points, small villages and such. I'll have a think about it. I like to believe I could make a decent judgement based on what I know of the game and your plot. I'll have a play around in a bit, and I'll see what you think when I've got a rough clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back