• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Raven and the Mountain {Closed}

Dufur thoroughly enjoyed letting his passions out on his beautiful wife. It felt like a weight inside his heart had been lifted, and as they settled into bed he couldn't help but smile at the adorable sleepy voice she spoke in.

"You will adore the market, mot kark." He replied, but she was already asleep. It was his first peaceful night since the ceremony. They were not, however, allowed to sleep in. Nalu and Kyrie barged in early the next morning to prepare them for the opening festivities of the great market. It took nearly five hours for Elwyn to dress--even for Dufur it took three. They chose a magnificent cream and gold dress with many layers that shone like the soft winter sunlight. The bodice was encrusted with yellow jewels of many shapes and sizes, as well as the tapered ends of the sleeves. Matching shoes, a simple necklace and golden laurels for her hair were added. Her dark hair was curled and framed her face beautifully, a slight touch of makeup to mask the tired eyes she wore.

"Dear Jewel, you are my crowning achievement." Nalu said with pride. They lead her out to the living area from the bathroom, where Dufur stood. He had dressed to match her, his suit the same cream and gold. Gold threads were braided into his beard and mustache, glinting on the light. He gave a soft gasp and went to his wife, grabbing hold of her hand and extending a deep bow as her knuckles touched his forehead.

"No one will doubt you being the jewel under the mountain, my love. You are mesmerizing." She blushed as he lifted his head, and gave him a bright smile. The communication stone had been hung just under her last layer, so she could still reach it easily but it remained hidden. Dufur's hung on the opposite hip, so they could walk side by side without the stones clanging together. They left their chambers as Nalu began to tell them the day's schedule, Kyrie behind them to secure the train of the dress.

"First is the meeting of the chiefs." Nalu started "You will greet the leaders of all the caravans. We have everyone in attendence this year, orcs, aaracockra, goblins, halflings and several small groups of dwarfish settlers. After the luncheon you will offically delcaire the great market open. Prince Dufur must conduct security checks, but while he does the princess is free to roam the market." Nalu smiled as she spoke "For the duration of market season, sir Logoric will be assigned as your personal guard my lady. He is excited to see you again."

"Not too excited, I hope." Dufur grumbled softly, earning a soft laugh from his nanny. The group stopped at the doors to the banquet hall, and after a moment Nalu pushed them open.

"Homborimm's Hammer and the Jewel of the Mountain enter!" Everyone rose from their seats, save the king, who raised his flagon in greeting, his eyes warm.

The banquet hall had been just as painstakingly adorned as the garments Elwyn and Dufur wore. Gold and white banners hung from the carved ceiling while crystals gleamed in their holders providing soft light for the space. It seemed those that had come to the opening celebrations were dressed up just as fancifully, and Elwyn couldn't help her eyes from jumping from one interesting face to the next. Her smile was bright, and earnest as she looked over the myriad of people gathered. Those of elvish decent were used to lavish parties where no expense was spared, but Elwyn had to admit she enjoyed the grandeur of Dwarvish customs just as much.

The couple inclined their heads in greeting to the crowd before taking their place next to the king who had gestured with his hands where they should sit. The room was filled with rustling of clothes and the scrape of chair legs over the stone floor as once again everyone seated themselves. The hall grew quiet then, all faces turned towards Dufun who rose to his feet after a few moments. His tankard was crusted over with fine jewels and it gleamed in the light as he raised it.

"It is with great joy that I welcome you all our home. May this years Market leave us all a little richer, be it coffers or friendship." The crowd rumbled in their agreement, lifting their own flagons and thrusting them up as they drank to the markets start. Elwyn lifted her own glass with the group and took a sip of the heady wine. It's tannins crisped against her tongue and she found her eyes closing as she savored the sensation. When she opened them again a new face looked warmly at her from where he stood at the other side of the table.

Dark eyes that held a curious glint peered at her, while the white feathers framing his face ruffled slightly when their gazes met. Elwyn smiled warmly at the Aarakocra and he stepped closer when she nodded her permission.

"Forgive me, I found myself quite eager to meet the Jewel of the Mountain. I see the rumor mill was right to speak so highly of you. I am Khaf."

"A pleasure Khaf, this seems as if it's not your first time here, so you must know my husband?" Elwyn was quick to include Dufur, she didn't want to give anyone any reason to doubt her or Dufur.

Khaf's beak seemed to curl into a smile as his feathers ruffled beneath his light cloak. He spread his wings wide and bowed deeply, one foot crossed over the other. He was careful not to hit anyone with his staff, and returned to an upright position quickly.

"Yes, princess mother. I have known Dufur since he was very young--I met him on my third life. I suppose I was young then too." He chuckled as Dufur raised his ale in greeting. Elwyn's curious look at his words prompted another smile. "I was told you too like to collect knowledge. I would love to take tea and see what you have, if that pleases you. I would be honored to share the history of my people with such a shining face. I feel we have kinship, as we both bare feathers." Elwyn looked delighted, tenting her fingers together before her chest as she nodded eagerly. "I must return to my comrades, but I am eager to speak with you soon, your highness." When they excused him, he glided back to his seat on the other end of the table. Next to approach the couple was a towering, muscular orc woman. She was covered in scars and simple jewelry, her thick dark hair tied up in a long braid. Behind her was a slim young man, whose skin was much paler. They bowed together, and the woman's small tusks glinted in the light as she smiled.

"Greetings. I am Lazgar, chief of the southern tribe. This is my son, Xoknoth." They pressed closed fists over their hearts in a short salute. "It is good of you to bring new life to this old mountain." Her voice was raspy and deep, but not unpleasant. Dufur and his father both let out a bark of laughter at her words. She grinned. "I am more comfortable speaking with forest-lings than these old stone-dwellers. We deal with mermaids often on our shores. We have many mer-made wares, I hope you will enjoy them." The orcs departed, and then the goblins took their seats by the royals.

"Hello!" The first three echoed in unison. "We great the jewel of the mountain--" began one,

"--as the ones sent from--" continued another,

"--the bubbling bay!" said the last. They were all few inches shorter than dwarves, with large pointed ears, small noses and almost comically large eyes. "I am Timmy!" Said the first. "I am Tommy!" Said the second "And I am Tomathy!" Said the last, all smiling at her with their rows of pointed teeth.

"How are you--" Tomathy started.

"Finding the mountain?" Timmy finished.

"You are very--" Tommy crowed.

"Shiny!" Timmy finished again. At Elwyn's gobsmacked expression, her husband chuckled softly. He leaned over to whisper in her ear.

"Goblins know each others thoughts. If they are born out of the pot together, they can finish each others sentences." He explained. Indeed, these three looked like copies of each other. Each had cat like eyes, all bright sapphire blue, looking upon her eagerly.

With each passing day in Homborimm's walls Elwyn's horizons expanded. She had not thought herself a sheltered elf, but with the arrival of each friendly face she had to admit she had probably spent too much time tucked away in the Autumn Court. Each new guest that greeted them brought a wealth of questions and wonderings that she was eager to seek out. It seemed as if the market would be paradise for the elf. With her husband's explanation for the three goblins that had gathered before her she beamed at them.

"The mountain has truly become my home. I am so grateful to have the privilege to call Homborimm my home. If I may ask...?" Elwyn trailed off, her eyes jumping to each pair large red eye, collectively the goblins leaned in closer their smiles still in place as they nodded. "My husband says you know each others thoughts, are each of your minds your own or do you consider yourselves as more of a collective?" She bit down on her lip knowing that decorum dictated they should move along and greet as many guests as they could, but the question proved to be too sweet to resist.

"She is shiny-"

"Both inside and-"

"Out!" The trio chuckled before Timmy started to answer her question. "We are-"

"Incomplete without the others."

"Yet I am always Tomathy."

"And I am always Tommy."

"And you are Timmy." Elwyn finished for them when the goblins paused meaningfully. They clapped in unison, their small legs stamping on the ground and Elwyn let out a giggle as they bade her farewell and stepped away from their seats. Dufur and Elwyn greeted a number of guests as the opening celebrations continued on, the menagerie of friendly faces was jovial as they drew nearer to the end of the luncheon and the market could soon be declared open. A goblet of wine was cradled between Elwyn's hands as she leaned back in her seat, she hadn't been given the signal to open the market and so she remained where she was happily watching those around her.

The room was filled with soft murmurs and laughter, and Elwyn straightened in her seat when someone began to pluck a tune on a mandolin. Her dark eyes scanned the crowds until she landed on a halfling man who was wandering the perimeter of the banquet hall. Sandy blond hair was tied up in a low hanging tail at the base of his neck, his voice was a deep soothing baritone as he put lyrics to the tune. Dufur leaned closer to Elwyn, whispering the halflings name. As Jorik made his way around the room, those in attendance fell silent, letting the hopeful tune set the tone. Jorik came closer to the table where Homborimm's royalty was seated and he made eye contact with Elwyn, with a jerk of his head he silently requested her to stand. After only a moment's hesitation Elwyn quickly set down her wine glass and rose from her seat, another jerk of his head had her coming around the table to stand in front of everyone as the Halfling finished his tune.

"It is with great pleasure that I play my song for you Jewel of the Mountain." Jorik bowed deeply, folding over his mandolin.

"It was a great pleasure to hear it. Perhaps you might assist me as I open the market Jorik?" Elwyn asked, as the halfling straightened, a flush or red pleasure settling over his cheeks. His fingers moved over the strings of his instrument playing a soft melody as Elwyn turned to Dufun, seeking his permission to move the festivities along. At his warm smile of approval she twisted once more, facing the crowd of people before her.

"Welcome travelers, it is with great pride that I welcome you to our home. I am so excited and honoured to announce this years market is officially open!" She didn't mince her words or draw out the moment. Truly Elwyn was eager to see what would happen next, it seemed as if the crowd was in agreement with its uproarious cheer.

Dufur could not help but smile as his wife came alive during the party. He could see the curiosity lighting a fire in her eyes as she spoke to each guest. As the meal began to draw to a close, she stood and with the help of a halfling bard to declare the market open officially. The crowd burst into cheers, and began to filter out of the room. Elwyn was chomping at the bit to go, Dufur laughed lightly. Taking her hand, he laid a kiss upon her knuckles.

"I will be seeing you later, my precious one. Logoric and your maid will be accompanying you about the market. Please remember to meet me in the balcony gardens after sunset for the lantern ceremony." She squeezed his hand excitedly. Logoric found his way to them through the last of the crowd, wearing light leather armor and a sword on his hip. Upon seeing them, he gave a shout of delight. The blonde dwarf rushed over and took Elwyn's hands on his own, bowing deeply as he pressed them to his forehead.

"Princess mother! It is wonderful to see you again after these months." He smiled as he straightened up, and Dufur clapped his shoulder as he left first. "You look like sunlight itself, your highness." He motioned towards the door, where Kyrie met them as they descended the mountain into the town. The town was bursting with life and color despite the flurries in the afternoon air. It was loud, crowded and full of new music and smells. Logoric was careful to be just before Elwyn, clearing a path as she walked. Kyrie was a step behind, making sure she was not overwhelmed by the stares that followed them. Their first stop was at a small dwarfen stall, where craftsmen from the outposts were. They were delighted to meet the princess mother, falling over themselves to show her their work. Once they were able to escape the eager Dwarves, the trio found themselves at the haphazard looking ally set out for the goblins.

A large, grey, feral looking cat with wings appeared before them, Timmy on his back.

"Welcome! Come, we will show you." Elwyn chuckled and they followed him to a large, ramshackle cart. Jewels, leather, and other assorted goods were laid out around it. Tommy and Tomathy looked up, waving.

"Hello it is--"

"Good to see you again!" They chirped. Elwyn bent to look at a few of their wares, the delicate choker dangling slightly from her neck. The polished sunstone set in the amber silk glittered in the light. Tommy made a noise of delight, pointing.

"Trade with us--" he began.

"You must!!" Timmy finished, hopping off the cat.

"A fair price we give--" Tomathy said, crouching over to rummage through a drawer.

"For all that we take." He handed Tommy a thick, worn tome. It was barely held together by the faint binding, the yellowed pages soft and threatening to crumble in his hands.

"Lost words of--" Tommy said

"The dragon's child--" Timmy continued.

"Is our offer." Tomathy finished.

Her reunion with Logoric was just as pleasant as Elwyn expected, she gave the kindly man's hands a squeeze as he bent over her hands and pressed his forehead to her knuckles. His compliment had her feathers rustling with delight and she resisted throwing her arms around the dwarf to give him a big hug. In their journey from the Autumn Court the two had grown quite close, sitting around the fire and swapping stories. Truly he'd been her first friend throughout her travels and she would forever treasure those memories. After bidding Dufur farewell the trio began their journey through the market much to the delight of Elwyn. She'd come prepared with a little bag of coins hidden under the folds of her gown.

They visited with the Dwarves from outside of the city and she listened with rapt attention as craftsmen after craftsmen hurried towards her, their hands laden with goods. It took some doing careful wording to finally escape the eager group and when Elwyn was greeted with the sight of a large grey cat with Timmy riding on its back. Immediately she was enamored with the creature and it took all of her self control to not reach out and touch the soft tufts of fur. She followed the goblin and his cat into the cart that held all of the goblins fine goods.

"This is wonderful." Elwyn breathed no word of a lie as she looked over the assortment of goods and trinkets the Goblins had accumulated. At the mention of an offer of trade for her choker Elwyn let out a small noise of surprise at the trade offered. She didn't even hesitate as she reached up to fumble with the clasp of her choker, after a few failed attempts she looked apologetically at Tomathy as she knelt further on the ground.

"Do you mind?" She asked, Kyrie made a soft noise that went unheard by the Princess Mother as Tomathy extended his arms and preformed her duty. Tomathy had the clasp undone in a matter of moments and held the choker delicately in his hands.

"An excellent trade!" Tommy said jovially as he placed the old tome in Elwyn's hands.

"Perhaps your eyes--"

"Will make sense--"

"Of a child's--"

"Musings." Timmy finished the sentence this time and Elwyn clutched the book tightly to her chest.

"Do you wish for me to carry that for you?" Kyrie asked, stepping in close to Elwyn, careful not to step on her gown.

"No, that's alright. Thank you Kyrie." Elwyn smiled up at the elf before returning her gaze to her newfound friends. "I will treasure this. Thank you."

"It is-"

"Our pleasure!"

After staying to talk a while longer with some of the other goblins in the caravan before moving onto the next part of the market. It was the halfling corridor, and smelled divine. The halflings sold handmade linens and comfort items, but mostly sold food. It was where most people visiting the market came to eat. The group tried a divine sugar bread fresh out of the oven, and soon were swarmed with halflings offering food of all kinds. It took almost an hour to exit the corridor, and when they did Kyrie was laden with parcels of food, as well as a handmade quilt covered in forest animals of all colors. Of course, no one allowed her to pay.

The next stop was the Orc part of the market. They sold a variety of seafaring equipment, as well as beach furniture and many small decorative things. Macrame tapestries, suncatchers of mer scales and sea glass and trinkets carved of driftwood. Elwyn stopped to admire some of the trinkets, her eyes glittering. Xonoth stood as she paused at his stall, giving her a salute before speaking. His Orcish accent was not so pronounced as others.

"Greetings, Princess. I hope you are enjoying the market so far."

"Very much so!" Elwyn replied. She traced the iridescent scales upon a wind chime gently.

"Worry not, your highness." Xonoth said quickly "All the scales we use are donated from the merfolk. They come off naturally when they shed. All the coin we make off their products goes back to them. They craft fishing equipment, too. It's just the next stall over." Logoric looked around, interested.

"I've ne'er seen a merfolk myself. It's quite impressive that you can trade with them. I've heard there's not been a merfolk that is unpleasant to look upon, is that true?" Xonoth laughed.

"That has been my experience. What about you, Princess?"

Halfling food was rich, delicious and entirely too heavenly. Elwyn wished she had more of a stomach as she seemed eager to try each of the foods the clever cooks whipped up. She spent long happy minutes fawning over the quilt that was presented to her, the woman who had given it to her hinted that she might enjoy wrapping her wee barons in it one day and that comment had Elwyn's face flushing a deep red. She was grateful for the reprieve from the waggling eyebrows as they made their way down the wing that held the Orc's and their wares.

Xonoth was an interesting looking man with his pale skin and dark hair neatly tied up in a bun at the top of his head. His fangs glinted in the lighting as he welcomed the princess with kind words. Elwyn had to admit his wares were certainly lovely and when he explained the nature of how they acquired she felt better about appreciating their glimmering beauty. Logoric and Xonoth exchanged words and Elwyn stiffened a little at the sudden memory of a merman.

"They... are certainly striking." She felt something inside her squirm and instinctively she lifted a hand to her neck. The bruise was long gone, but in truth she could still feel the tight grip of his fingers as the water drew closer and closer.

"The same could be said for these wares. Surely a creature that gleams like this must garner quite a bit of attention." Logoric mused and suddenly Elwyn was in no mood to examine the wares. Her mouth thinned as her mind struggled to pull herself out of the dark moment, it was Xonoth who saved her.

"If I may..." Xonoth pulled a carved piece of bone hidden away in a compartment of his cart. Elwyn bent her head obligingly and gasped in surprise when she saw the likeness of herself and Dufur. "I may not be a metal caster, but I enjoy whittling. My mother claims there is no finer carver, other than herself of course." Xonoth let Elwyn pick up the carving that was no bigger than her hand. Her curious eyes took in each of the little details.

"May I purchase this?" Elwyn asked. "It's stunning." She spoke reverently. Unable to help herself she let loose a multitude of questions, all of which Xonoth patiently answered for her. How long did this take? I started it this morning. How long have you been carving? From the moment I could pick up a blade. Xonoth did his best to refuse payment, offering it as a gift, but Elwyn was persistent in her plight. With a wry smile she pulled out her coin purse and placed a few coins on his cart, knowing he would never accept the payment any other way.

"Thank you. For everything." With her carving and new book still clutched tightly in her arms Elwyn followed Logoric as he led her into the next wing of the market. This section belonging to the Aarakocra. It didn't take her long to find the leader of the group, Khaf. His golden wings glimmered as he once again stooped into a low bow upon her approach.

"Greetings Jewel under the mountain. What a blessing it is to speak to you so soon." Khaf said and Elwyn all but preened.

"I could not stay away any longer." Elwyn confessed. "Your talk of knowledge was all too tempting for this elf." She jested.

Khaf smiled, his beak clicking together happily. He lead Elwyn past the stalls and into the tent he had set up behind them. Several rows of hammocks rested in the corner, a few taken up by sleeping forms of feathers. There was a makeshift kitchen and a large sitting room taking up the rest of the space. Khaf gestured for them to sit in the large nest of cushions, pillows, rugs and blankets that made up the sitting area. As they settled, he went to the kitchen and returned with a small tray of mottled teacups. He offered each guest a cup of the warm tea before sitting down himself.

"May I take off these robes, your highness? They are quite cumbersome. We are not used to clothes as you are." Elwyn gave her consent and he thankfully removed them, revealing his feathered body. White down on his stomach and legs, and more of the golden brown flight feathers on his back and wings. He settled into the nest with them and gave a small hoot. "I am happy to share any knowledge you wish."

"Is it really alright to chat here?" Logoric asked, his eyes darting over to the sleeping Arakocra. Khaf waved his clawed hand in dismissal.

"Worry not. My kinsmen can sleep through most anything. Homborimm during the market season is quite a bit quieter than our home."

"Really?" Kyrie asked, curious.

"Yes." Khaf responded with a small, chirping laugh. "Those little crows are on their first life, too. They're still tired from travel. They only hatched a decade ago." He turned his round face towards Elwyn, his dark eyes shining. "What questions do you have, your highness?"

The Aarakocra's area was a dream for Elwyn, and she wasted no time in creating a little nest of pillows around herself as she settled. The softness of the surrounding pillows reminded her of the bed she'd left in the Autumn Court. Her hand trailed over a cushion with pale yellow fabric and dark brown embroidered detailing along it's edges. Khaf returned with his teacups and she accepted a pale cream cup with a chip near it's lip. The cup was warm against her hands and she let fingers curl around the porcelain.

"Thank you." She spoke gently, relaxation clear in her posture and tonality. She gave her permission for Khaf to remove his robes and her eyes took in the sight of the Aarakocra. There was nothing heated in her gaze, just a sort of respectful curiosity that came in her constant pursuit of knowledge. Logoric and Khaf chatted about the nearby slumbering companions and she smiled at his use of the term Crow.

"This little crow has many questions." She warned him and Khaf's plumage rustled with pride. They spoke about formal customs and an upcoming celebration of the sky. Elwyn's questions ranged from how Khaf preferred to organize his library of books to the exact amount of ingredients went into the delicious tea she had consumed more than three cups of. They spoke for so long Kyrie joined the other birdfolk in their slumber, her head resting heaving on the hand she'd used to prop it up. Logoric did his best to appear interested by the two knowledge seekers as they delved into the topic of glue consistency for book binding but truthfully even the good natured Dwarf grew weary of the seemingly endless topics.

It came as a great relief to Logoric when he announced it was time for Elwyn to rejoin her husband. Elwyn had to pause her rather titillating conversation with Khaf on the topic of feather maintenance with an apologetic smile.

"Truly it was a pleasure Khaf. Thank you for all your words of wisdom." Elwyn said as she stood, and began to arrange the skirts of her elaborate dress.

"It was a pleasure." Khaf rose to his feet before sinking into a deep bow, his wings extending and clipping the top of Kyrie's head who awoke with a start. Logoric rolled his eyes at Elwyn playfully before offering his arm to the Jewel.

"Shall we?" He asked. Elwyn's smile beamed at him as she slid her hand into the crook of his arm.

"Lets!" She agreed as she held onto her book and carving with her free hand.

The group wound it's way back through the bustling market to the banquet hall. The ministers and their wives were gathered around the table. Elwyn took her seat beside Dufur, and the meal began in full. Lively conversation about trade negotiations, profit speculations and much more spring to life. Dufur greeted his wife with a kiss,, his eyes crinkling at the corners as she smiled at her. She spoke about her day and all the things she had seen.

The next week went by in a flurry of activity, the couple spending more time apart than together as their various duties kept them busy. Finally, Elwyn was able to meet with Khaf again. He had come to their chambers at her invitation to tea. Kyrie knocked on the door just as Nalu had finished setting up the tea service.

"Bring him in!" Nalu called, and the elf glided into the room with the large owl coming in after. He had to duck his head quite a bit to fit under the door frame. He bowed to Elwyn, who curtsied back. "Make yourself comfortable, Master Khaf." Nalu said, fussing over him as she took off his robe.

"Still as bright as ever, Madame Copperheart." He sat, and gracefully took up a teacup. "Now, you wished to show me something?" Elwyn excitedly took out the old tome she'd received from the goblins.

"They said something about the dragon's child? I'm not sure I know what they mean." Khaf nodded and gently laid the book onto a velvet pillow upon his lap. He gently flipped through the crumbling tome, his claws impossibly gentle upon the pages. "I see. Your highness, you have obtained a treasure of the highest order." Elwyn perked up, leaning forward with a smile. He clucked his beak happily, like a chuckle. "This seems to be the journal of a Dragonborn. I'd say it's from just around the time my people were born, so it's very old." He leaned forward to read the faded script. "This is dragon tongue, so wonder you couldn't read it. It is not used anymore. It will take some time to decipher entirely, but it seems his name was Irjor, and..." He squinted as he read "He was a child of the blue dragon." He looked up at her, his dark eyes alight with curiosity.

"How fortunate, your highness. The priests of the great sage should be able to tell you more about him. They may even be able to teach you to read this better than I." He closed the book and gently returned it to her. "I wonder how those goblins got a hold of such a thing." He mused, picking up a small cookie and pecking at it.

The week since Elwyn's first time at the market had been full of activity and new experiences. She slept soundly each night, completely tuckered out from all her adventuring and she was grateful for the warm embrace of Dufur as he held her close. She'd been inspired by Khaf and his people and soon their main bedroom held a small area filled with pillows and blankets for her to nest in as she read from her books. The book the goblins had given her proved to be quite the conundrum and when she'd opened the aging pages only to discover a language that was foreign to her she was quick to enlist the help of Khaf.

When he arrived Elwyn dropped low in a curtsy before settling herself across from him. She and Nalu had kept her clothing simple this day, opting for a black dress that trailed behind her as she walked. It was rather shapeless but still hung off her lithe form pleasingly. Nalu had convinced Elwyn to dress it up a little with a gold band around her waist. She curled her legs under herself, at ease with the man in front of her as he peered over her newest treasure.

Khaf's explanation had her straightening in her seat, leaning forward to peer at the words that she couldn't make out. At the mention of the Blue Sage she did her best to school her features into something unreadable, though truly Elwyn wore her emotions like an open book. "Incredible." She murmured, resting back against the plush covers of the couch. "I will ask for a meeting of the priests as soon as possible. This knowledge once lost should return to it's rightful place." There was something scintillating about hiding away the book in her own personal collection but Elwyn refused to keep such a treasure to herself, not when it would mean the world to those who resided in Homborimm. "Thank you Khaf, truly you have made me a happy crow on this day." Elwyn chuckled as Khaf pecked at the cookie on his plate.

"Nalu." Elwyn turned her head looking for the kindly woman. "Would it be possible to request the presence of Timmy, Tommy and Tomathy?"

"I shall make your request known Princess Mother." Nalu left with a curtsy and Elwyn and Khaf chatted amiably about the weeks proceedings while they waited. Nalu returned with the goblins all in a row as they sat perched on the large white cat. Elwyn rose to her feet and she welcomed their new guests.

"A pleasure to see the three of you again, please make yourself comfortable." Elwyn gestured to the couches she and Khaf were taking up and only settled when the Goblins were also seated. The cat made it's way over to the nest of pillows and blankets, and after a few turns of it's body it settled it's great paws kneading a blanket.

"What affords us-"

"This pleasant meeting?" The group of goblins asked.

"I was hoping you might tell us how you acquired the book you traded to me." Elwyn's brow furrowed as she remembered the cost of the trade. "I fear you may have been given a poor deal as this book is quite the treasure. I must offer you more for this." She rose to her feet, stepping away from the group as she entered her collection room. She knew exactly what she was looking for as she wandered down a stack of shelves. She stopped at three wooden simple boxes, all stained different colours. With a smile she gathered them in her hands and brought them out to the group.

"Here." She placed one box in each of their hands, and settling down in her spot once more. "Puzzle boxes, for my new friends." She smiled warmly at them.

The goblins all crowed in delight upon receiving the puzzle boxes, their claws eagerly beginning to work upon them.

"You are very generous." Timmy said, his eyes glued to the box.

"But the price was fair." Tomathy continued, looking up.

"Goblins never take an unequal exchange." Tommy finished. Nalu stroked her beard in thought.

"That is true, most goblins have the appraisers eye. Tell me dear jewel, what did you give them?" Elwyn described the piece, and the old woman stumbled backward, winded. "Indeed, the price was fair my lady. That choker was made by the king himself--it took him two decades to mine the stone and shape it with his own hands. It was the only one of it's kind. He'll have to make you a new wedding gift." Elwyn looked distraught, but Khaf reached up and petted her arm gently with his talon.

"Worry not, your highness. No one would be cross with you for such a trade, look what you received from it." That seemed to help a little. The goblins began to speak, all still focused on the boxes.

"These gifts are precious indeed."

"What can we give you--"

"In return?"

"I was hoping to know how you came upon the book." Elwyn replied, running her fingers over the cover gently.

"Ah. Yes, we can tell you. These boxes--"

"Are worth such information."

"We found it with the bones." It was Timmy who spoke as the other two fell silent. "In the catacombs under the human city Dael. Old, old bones they were. Broken and dusty, missing pieces and marrow dry." He clicked his tongue, his hands stopping their work. A sour look came over his face. "They call us greedy, but we would not misuse those bones."

"Dragon bones?" Khaf asked, his voice almost too soft to hear. Elwyn could see his great dark eyes glistening with emotion. Timmy nodded.

"Dragon bones have no equivalent value. They cannot be traded for any price. Precious beyond precious. We did not touch the bones. But we took the book, the sword and the quiver. They can be used and traded fairly." There was a heavy silence that fell upon the room, save for the quiet click and shuffle of the boxes.

"I knew it was true," Khaf said "But it is still unsettling to hear. Long, unpleasant history is easy to forget." He stood and shook out his feathers before sitting again. Tommy perked up, his ears swiveling.

"The rush will start soon. We must--"

"Be going. May we be excused?" Elwyn nodded, and they hopped up on their cat, who scurried away. Khaf looked to Elwyn.

"Are you alright, your highness? You look pale."

The information presented to her caused Elwyn to have the overwhelming desire to bury her head in the sand. She had traded away such an important piece without even realizing it's value. While she certainly agreed that the book was a valuable treasure she felt dismayed at not knowing the full store behind the pieces in her collection. A part of her felt shame for not knowing the worth of her possessions. When Khaf's kind words pierced through the haze of self doubt and reflection she blinked herself back to rights, and if Khaf noticed that her eyes glistened more than usual he was kind enough not to mention it.

"I am. Perhaps a little shaken from all of this developing knowledge, but I am fine." Elwyn stood and Khaf followed suit, his great wings ruffling with the motion. "I must speak to my husband and the king as soon as possible about this news, about what has been traded for it." Her hands clenched nervously together. Elwyn wasn't the sort of person to brush her mistakes to the side, she preferred to face them head on and take responsibility; that however didn't make the process easier.

"I'm afraid this is a task I must do on my own however." Elwyn gave Khaf an apologetic look. "Know that I am grateful for everything Khaf, you've been quite the friend over this week."

"Of course. It's been a pleasure." Khaf bowed deeply and Elwyn returned the gesture, she gave the man one last smile before he departed after once more robing. Elwyn turned then to Grandmother Nalu, and bit her bottom lip.

"Do you think they might have time to see me now? I know it is last minute." Elwyn gathered the book and held it carefully to her chest. "I do not think this news can delay."

After Khaf left, Nalu gave a soft smile.

"They will always have time for you, my lady." The two set out for the king's office. The halls were more crowded than usual because of the market, and ut took them quite a bit longer than normal to reach it. Nalu knocked on the door and called for entry. Dufur answered, letting the women inside before shutting the door behind them. Dufun was leaning back in his desk chair with an ice pack over his eyes. He looked exhausted.

"Grandmother, Jewel, what brings you here?" He cleared the sitting area of it's mountain of paperwork and gestured for them to sit. After they did so, Elwyn placed the tome on the small table and began telling them of the day's events. The two men were immediately enraptured in her tale, looking excitedly from the book to her. When she expressed remorse over the necklace, Dufun gave a wave.

"My princess, do not worry over such a thing. The jewelry you possess is yours to do with whatever you wish. It makes this old man happy just to have seen you wear it once. Besides, you have brought us something very valuable in return."

"Indeed, my love." Dufur chimed in. "I'd say your first market is quite the success." He gently patted her shoulder, trying to offer comfort. "In any case, our priests will be incensed over this book. I'm sure they will be delighted to teach you dragonspeak." The group spent the rest of the day in deep discussion on what their next move was.

~

Market season passed by fast, as always, and soon enough the three months were over. The caravans were packed and the outer city was back to normal. Elwyn had been busy exploring the market and learning from the kingdom's priests--and fitting in combat training wherever she could. It was a whirlwind of information even she could barely keep up with. But finally, it was the day of the closing festivities.

Elwyn was dressed in a forest green dress with pink and cream layers. It had a high neck like a traditional Elvin dress, and many layers of thin, light, glittering trinkets. Her hair, which was just brushing her shoulders now, was pulled into an elegant updo and she wore a simple circlet. Dufur had dressed to match, and came to collect her with a brilliant smile.

"You look wonderful, dear jewel. I must say I'm excited to finally have my wife back." He pressed his forehead to her knuckles as she laughed. They talked as they walked to the dining hall, which was dressed again in splendor. They took their seats beside the king and the crowd began to settle. "I am sorry you will have to bid your new friends farewell, though." Dufur held her hand upon his lap, their fingers intertwining. The room went quiet as the king stood, his simple iron crown glinting in the light. He lifted his goblet and began to speak with a smile.

"My beloved friends, I must thank you for making the trip to see us once again this year. It has been an hon--" Suddenly, a crossbow bolt appeared out of his chest, and the king collapsed soundlessly into his seat. The hall was in an uproar--some fleeing, others drawing weapons and still others rushing to Dufun. Dufur let out a strangled cry as he leapt to his feet towards his father. As the crowd thickened around him, Elwyn was suddenly lifted into the air. Logoric and Nalu were carrying her from the hall, fighting through the panicked crowd. They reached the hallway and quickly bundled her into a room, closing and locking the door. Logoric turned quickly to her.

"Are you hurt, princess mother?" he began to look her over for injuries. Nalu had crumpled into a heap by the door, in shock.

The market have given Elwyn a whole slew of experiences and treasures. Thanks to the market she was already on the verge of filling up the rooms Dufur had set aside for her main collections and Dwarves were set to expand the rooms in a fortnight. She'd made so many friends and contacts and had made plans to exchange letters with Khaf and those lovely Goblins. Part of her was saddened to see the end draw near, as she dearly loved the busy schedual of the day as well as the knowledge that came from it. She was bursting with news to send back to her family, though the time had also been spent apart for Dufur. Their duties had been left them apart more often than together, and so as he welcomed her to the final dinner she leaned into his embrace.

Perhaps this eve she might entice him to a little bit of private celebrations. She'd ached to worship the body of the man who had made married life a joy. "My thanks Husband. I must confess you look simply perfect." She sighed out her compliments, a slight blush to her features. They chatted about farewells and fond memories as they took their place next to the king and Elwyn relished in the hold of their hands in his lap. The king stood, but Elwyn lingered her gaze on Dufur for just a brief moment, taking in the regal sight of him in the crystal light.

The next moment seemed to happen in slow motion, her head twisted and she heard a solid thump hitting against something near her. The King's words were cut short and with a horrified gasp Elwyn spotted the bolt sticking from Dufun's chest. Dufur's cry sounded muffled in her mind, her gaze focused on the piece of wood with it's fringed end that protruded from between the King's ribs. There was so much blood. Time seemed to speed up then as Elwyn was jostled and she lost sight of the wound.

Cries and panic filled the room and Elwyn felt numb with the shock. It was like the earth had decided to move forward without her, leaving her frozen in place. She barely noticed Logoric and Nalu as they plucked her up. The room seemed to drag away and blur and Elwyn realized then that she was crying, and everything sounded muffled because her screams were deafening. She ceased her noise as they left the chaos behind them, and felt the burn of her throat as wet hot tears dripped onto the flooring as they hurried along.

They found safety a few minutes later, a small room that was used for storage served as their shelter. She was deposited on the ground and Elwyn numbly shook her head as Logoric frantically searched her for wounds.
"There is nothing." She whispered. "Nalu, please make sure she is alright."
"Once I am assured you are well." Logoric answered, ducking his head to peer more closely at her. He was too close and Elwyn felt her lungs seizing in shock, she shoved at him, mustering her strength to give herself some space.
"Check Nalu. I assure you I am fine." Elwyn ordered, her regality rearing it's head once more. Her chest heaved as Logoric reluctantly listened and looked over Grandmother.

In an effort to calm herself and feel in control Elwyn grasped through the folds of her dress, finding the small dirk that she'd strapped to her thigh. With a swift pull it was free of its scabbard and clutched in her hands. Gaia's words filtered through her mind and she forced her breathing to a calmer rate counting the seconds between breaths. Shakily she got to her feet, her hand on the knob of the door.

"Princess Mother, do not leave." Logoric ordered, rushing to his feet to block the door.
"I must help my husband!" Elwyn argued.

Before Logoric could argue, the door behind him rattled as someone tried the knob.

"My lady! Please, tell me you're in here!!" Kyrie's voice came, hysterical. Quickly, Logoric unlatched the door to let the maidservant in, but instead Kyrie snatched Elwyn out into the hallway with herself. "May lady! Thank the forest you are unharmed!" Tears streaked down her pale cheeks, her velveteen ears pasted back against her head in fear. "You must come quickly! The prince--" she couldn't even finish her sentence before Elwyn was flying down the hall. She burst through the doors to the dining hall, knocking over two poor guards who had been behind them. The grand room was empty now--all partygoers having fled or been ushered out. Guards were searching the room, and Dufur remained where he had been when she left, surrounded by the king's advisors.

"Princess-mother," A young dwarf spoke hesitantly "We have yet to find the source of the shot, it may still be unsafe--" She pushed past him, towards the kneeling huddle. Dufun was still in his son's arms, blood staining his clothes. Elwyn saw something incredible and horrifying, as the moments passed, the king was turning into stone inch by inch. It was already at his waist.

"Father, please--" Dufur muttered, tears leaking from his eyes. "Don't go yet. I'm not ready." A horrible wheezing laugh rattled through the dying king's chest. Like bone dice hitting the hard stone floor.

"You are ready, my son. We do not choose when we return, you know that." Dufur leaned down, pressing his forehead to his father's.

"No, no I'm not--" But it was too late. The dwarf who had once been king was now nothing but a statue. In it's chest, where his heart was, a slow pulse of violet light came. After a few more moments, that stopped too. Dufur began to sob in earnest, and those around him started a low, rumbling chant.

All we are, carved from stone. The mountain etched into our bones--in stillness we wake and to stillness we sleep, to the dragon's heart we keep. Here we join those carved before, precious metal, gems and ore. All of us are but the same, when the mountain calls our name. May he join the hero's hall and be remembered by us all.

Elwyn had tripped over her dress in shock, falling over and knocking silverware off of the table as she hit the floor. Startled, the group looked up. At the gasps, Dufur raised his tear stained face. His dark eyes widened slightly, and he gently released the statue. Standing on shaking legs, he made his way over to her. Even in his shocked state, Dufur was easily able to pull her to her feet. "Mot Kark," His voice was weak and trembling. He squeezed her hand almost too tightly. "I-I didn't want you to find out this way. I wanted to break it to you gently. I-I'm so sorry you had to see that."

The scene in the hall was heart wrenching and utterly ground breaking in it's revealed secrets. Elwyn's wide eyes took in the sight of Dufun's last words, his hard breathing turning to gravel as the magic turned his limbs to stone before her very eyes. She watched as her husband pleaded with his father, begging him to stay and keep watch over his people. Her mind jumped to the hall of hero's and her eyes widened with realization as Dufun's final moments were nigh. The violet light was bright before it too died and the room filled with the soft chanting of the Dwarves around them.

She meant to to go them, to join in the farewell but her feet grew tangled in the hem of her dress and she pitched backward, her hand slipping against a nearby table and sending silverware clattering to the floor in a deafening crash along with her blade which tumbled away out of arms reach. She remained where she was, her eyes growing impossibly wide and Dufur stood and rushed to her. She saw the gleam of his fathers blood on his clothes and the tears felt fresh on on her cheeks once more.

"Th-this is- How is this?" She couldn't seem to make full sentences as Dufur hauled her to her feet, the grip he had on her was almost painful but she found she couldn't tell him to stop. Her round eyes found his and she felt her breath rush out and hold. Behind her Kyrie burst into loud wails, her hands coming up to cover her face as she sunk to her knees in the hall. Logoric and a few of the guards in the room moved forward ready to assist her out of the room but the elven woman writhed out of their grasp.

"How could you have done this?!" The woman screeched and Elwyn twisted in Dufur's arms to see a shaky hand pointed directly at her.

"Done? What-" Elwyn's words were cut off by another loud wail as Kyrie took a shaky step forward, her next accusation made Elwyn gasp in terror.

"You've killed the king!"

Elwyn felt the weight of all eyes on her and her feathers bristled with the notion that she could be responsible for such an act, instantly she sought out Dufur's eyes and earnestly spoke. "Dufur - I promise you I did not!"

"Liar! I saw you at the market purchasing that bolt! I saw you slip it away in your dress!"

The hall burst into chaos at the handmaid's words. Guards wanted to take them both away, but the advisors jumped to Elwyn's defense. The heated arguing was bouncing off of the stone walls in an angry chorus, and Dufur felt his head begin to pound.

"ENOUGH!" He boomed, and all present fell silent immediately. Still covered in blood and tear stains, Dufur pressed one hand to his temple, swaying slightly where he stood. "Have we not suffered enough this day?! Collect yourselves!" His tone was unforgiving, making those around him flinch. Without opening his eyes, he began to bark orders. "Guards, take Kyrie to the dungeon. My advisors, split into three groups. One to see to the market goers off, one to begin rites for my father and one to begin an investigation into this incident. Nobody sleeps until all is well again." The crowd dispersed to do as ordered. He motioned for a free guard to come, and one did so. "Dispatch all priests and healers to the convoys to check for other injuries. Have the high priest postpone traditional rites for the king until grandmother is taken care of. I'm sure she's not well. Leave us."

Soon enough the hall was empty, and Dufur finally crumpled to the ground. Elwyn rushed to him, muttering elvish as her brow creased. Gently, she helped him stand again, and the two made their way back to their rooms, Logoric trailing behind. He stood guard outside the doors to their chambers after they closed and locked. Elwyn managed to help Dufur to a chair before his legs gave way again. "I trust you, mot kark." He said, finally opening his eyes. "I don't know why your maid as turned on you so, but I know you could not do this." He gave a weak smile.

Most of the night passed in silence. Eventually, the couple managed to undress and bathe, though neither slept much. The next morning, Bomber, the administrative advisor, was at their door early. Dufur and his wife dressed simply as he entered, a maid behind him with breakfast. She set the table and left, but before the door closed, Dufur called Logoric in. Bomber coughed lightly before giving a bow and starting his report.

"Your highness, the convoys have been tended to and have all shipped out, save for a single cart of goblins and two carts of Aaracockra. All elves have been detained in the dungeon after questioning last night. The handmaid has not spoken a word and will not eat. The king's body has been stored safely and we have his personal attendants guarding it day and night. The high priest report's that Nalu Copperheart will be fine with time. Witnessing such a thing was quite the shock to her system." Dufur listened silently, not touching his food.

"Were the caravans questioned?"

"Of course, your highness."

"And the public?"

"They are unaware as of yet."

"Good. Keep it that way until we finish the investigation." Bomber nodded, then turning to Elwyn.

"Princess-mother, who among the kin who came or those you met at the market would have a grudge against you? Have you any clue as to why your maid would say such things?"

"I was with them at the market, Dufur." Logoric spoke up. "I have a log of everyone she spoke to and everything she bought during market season. I witnessed no such buying of a weapon. Gaia should also have a schedule we can look to for the past season." He caught Elwyn'd eye and offered her a soft smile and a small bow.

Elwyn didn't think she could close her eyes, if she did the same image of the kings final moments seemed to play over and over in her mind. Though truly she didn't know which was worse, seeing those moments again or watching her husband deal with the burden of rule and his grief in the same moments. It didn't seem to matter if she let her lids close or not, either way- her heart ached. Night came and went in a numb haze. Elwyn did the best she could for her husband, though it felt as though she might be the most helpful or useful if she kept her mouth shut.

The knocking came early in the morning and Elwyn straightened, the bones of her spine aligning just so. She wore plain clothes, the dark fabric of her dress hung loosely around her bare feet and shifted as she welcomed Bomber into the room along with the maid. It was strange to not see Kyrie and despite her accusations Elwyn had grown fond of the elf. The thought of her old maid had the colour draining from her face, as the events from the day before flashed through her memory. She took a seat at the set table alongside Dufur though neither of them seemed to have an appetite.

Bomber began with his report and Elwyn listened with rapt attention. Dufur's questions were short and to the point and Bomber's information was even more so. When he turned his attention onto the elf she felt her hands curl tightly into the fabric of her dress. Even if her husband believed her that did not mean others would. It felt almost as if it would be her turn next to remove a limb, surely the accusations meant that her presence had put her family at risk. At Bomber's question her face scrunched up in deep thought as she did her best to recall if there had been anything at all. Logoric, bless him, came to her rescue and she nodded at the mention of a log.

"Gaia and I do our best to ensure our training locations do not bother anyone. Perhaps we were mistaken..." Elwyn's lush bottom lip was clamped between her teeth as she thought. "Every one was so kind. The only strife I can think of was the incident with Roan, but that was before the market. Perhaps the mermish folk were displeased in the end with our judgement?" As soon as she said it, she immediately shook her head, remembering the look of relief on Roan's face. "No that doesn't feel right." There was silence for a few long moments. The three dwarven men watched as Elwyn's visage changed from somber to something more serious. There was a sudden scraping of wood against rock as Elwyn abruptly stood. Her fingers were snapping together repeatedly as she paced to the centre of the room and then back to the chair.

She hovered by the chair for a moment, it was looking as though she might sit, but once more she padded away from the chair. "Could this have anything to do with the spell that was placed over Roan?" She asked aloud.

Dufur watched as his wife spoke aloud her thoughts, her hands twisting the soft fabric of her dress in anxiety. She stood after a moment and paced the room as she gathered herself, before asking her final question. He nodded at her words. It made sense. They had never truly discovered the origin of that spell. Dufur motioned to Bomber.

"Yes, your highness. That is a plausible assumption."

"Begin investigating that angle. Check all the elves for their magic capabilities. Perhaps the high priest can discern similar traces." Bomber bowed and left the room with Logoric. Dufur sighed and sat back on the couch. "I'm sure you have questions, mot kark. You saw much yesterday that was foreign to you." He sat back up and leaned his elbows on his knees as he watched her consider his offer. "If you are still too overwhelmed, then we need not discuss it." He continued hurriedly. Finding himself at a loss, Dufur reached for the food. He managed to eat some, if only becuase of the voice of Nalu in the back of his mind.

It seemed Dufur agreed with her and Elwyn let herself sink back down gratefully on the chair next to her husband. This time, the aroma of the food didn't feel as sickening to her stomach. When Bomber was sent off to start with his duties she forced herself to load her plate with a few small bites of fruit. They were alone now and she could feel the pressure of his gaze on her. Usually she was more than pleased to be the centre of his attention but after everything she wished for a moment of respite for the both of them. However that was not to be the case. She considered the opportunity to make sense of the day before.

"There has been much speculation amongst my people as to the origin of the Dwarves. I would have never considered that the mountain itself was the womb of your people, is my assumption correct Dufur?" She shifted to the edge of her seat and copied her husbands pose, setting her elbows on her knees and resting her chin in her hands. "If you are carved of stone, who was the original sculptor?" Elwyn leaned into her questioning, finding comfort in knowledge and truth. With all these hidden mysteries among them, she would latch onto what she could.

Dufur let out a small sigh and sat up once more, shifting to face her. "My mother and father carved me from the mountain." He replied "Do you know od mana stones?" She gave a small nod "Well, those are our hearts. When one is found, priests enchant it with the runes we need to come to life. Then, our parents carve us out around it. When they are done, we wake." Elwyn ate a small bit more as she thought, and he continued. "That is why you see the veins on our skin, it indicates which mine we came from. And why Dwarfs are so hearty. Unless our heart is pierced, we can survive almost any wound with our toughened skin. It also means our lifespans are...predetermined, so to speak." She looked at him, alarmed. He took her hand and gently placed it over his heart, the steady drum thumping under her fingers. "When the magic within runs out, we return to the stone."

Elwyn looked at their hands for a long while, her eyes swimming with an emotion he could not read. "That is why we needed your mountain, mot kark. There are no more hearts within Homborimm. None we could reach without threateneing the stability of the mountain itself, anyway. The first one to carve a dwarf from stone was the blue sage. He made the first of our race below, in his cave. Is there any other query I could answer?"

If there was one thing that made the coupling of Dufur and Elwyn a most auspicious match it was their ability to communicate. Dufur's answers were to the point and Elwyn found herself nodding along, the set of her brows indicating the new she was being given was of utmost interest to her. She understood why such knowledge had been kept away and felt honoured to have been given such a priceless gift.

"It is my deepest wish that the Autumns Court provides many more children." There was something a bit hopeful in her gaze as she looked over Dufur. "Will the mana stones be sent here for carving? Or will no more Dwarves be born under this mountain?" She wondered. "That is certainly most precious cargo which ever the case." She was no stranger to her husband's body, but with this new insight she was eager to look upon him with new eyes. Elwyn rose from her place and stepped around the table to sink onto the couch next to Dufur. Her fingers twined with his hand and she pressed the sleeve of his tunic up to reveal a strong forearm. A finger traced over the veins she now understood better.

"Whatever happens for us next Dufur, know that I stand as firmly as Homborimm next to you." Her gaze shifted to the door Bomber and Logoric had left through. Hopefully they would have more information for them soon.

Dufur smiled, lifting her hand from his arm to press a whiskery kiss to it. "You bless me with your infinite patience and wisdom, my jewel." He responded "I too wish for the mountain to bring us many new dwarfs. When we are ready for children, we will return to Atutmn Grove." He rubbed his chin with his free hand, squeezing her gently. "I was thinking one of each, if that is amenable to you. We can carve one and you can teach me how to help you raise the other." He much preferred this pleasant conversation to the suffocating air that had gripped them earlier. Another hour passed in such peace before Bomber returned.

"Your highness." He bowed and took a seat across the coffee table from them. "Our investigation should be finished by tomorrow. We've had all hands working through the night for near two days. The trial will be held in the late morning in the throne room. The royal court will be in attendance. The procedure will be easy, the accuser speaks and presents evidence, then the jewel will rebut. You may each call one witness. Our findings will be last. Much like the last trial, yes?" Elwyn gave Dufur a worried look but nodded. It seemed it would be another sleepless night for them both.
~~

The next morning after a light breakfast, the couple entered the throne room and took their seats. Elwyn's personalized throne was already installed, so she was able to sit comfortably. Rows of seats faced them, as well as a podium for those on trial. The room was already full of Dwarven nobles, who hushed when the royal couple entered. Right in the front row was Nalu, who looked haggard and much older than before. Still, she pressed a kiss to her palm and raised it up to Elwyn.

Bomber entered then, bowed and announced the trial, over which the advisors would be presiding. Kyrie was led into the room bound in chains held by sturdy, stone-faced guards. The rattling of the links as she walked were the only sound in the vast room. She stopped at the podium, and in the light it became truly clear how gaunt and dirty she was. Her slim ears pasted back against her head as she glared at Elwyn. When given the signal she began to speak.

"We came on an errand of peace and unification, but the princess has other motives. Her hunger for knowledge and power is unmatched. She has only pretended to care for your people!" The crowd exclaimed in shock, but quieted when Dufur motioned. "She wanted to secure her place on the throne as soon as possible, to start selling secrets for prestige. She ordered me to make copies of all her confidential letters back to the Autumn Grove. They are in my chambers in the left drawer of the desk. I saw her buy the bolt in secret and give it to one of our kin, with instructions to kill the king when she could not be blamed. I was too distraught to keep silent." She hung her head. For her witness, she called Garnetta, who was made to swear on the book of the sage before she spoke.

"Kyrie has been confiding in me of the wickedness of our princess-mother since she came here. She has wept on my shoulder many nights of the cruelty of her master and of her plight. I vouch for her character and words to be the absolute truth." She stepped down, and Elwyn was summoned to the stand. The whole room waited with baited breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back