• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Raven and the Mountain {Closed}

Dufur was elated that she found his gift so pleasing. After she had explored the rooms a while longer, they left and had the servants begin to move both their possessions while they were occupied. Dufur then led his wife through the palace and into the forges. Dufur had taken over the royal forge after his father had retired from crafting. The cavern was already sweltering, and his two apprentices bowed deeply as they entered. Dufur guided Elwyn to a table which had cold drinks and food for her to eat. As she sat, he took the palm size crystal at the center of the table into her hands.

"This is infused with ice magic, my jewel. It should help keep you cool while you rest here." He smiled brightly before moving away and stripping off his shirt, then tying up his beard. "Ready the metals." He ordered, and the young dwarfs rushed to do so. Dufur approached his wife once more with a smile, and took a thin strand of hair between his fingers. "Forgive my intrusion, my love." He gave her a wink and chuckled as she blushed heavily. Dyfyr examined the hair he led closely, feeling it's weight, texture and thickness. When he was done with his evaluation, he released her and moved to the forge. One apprentice was removing the molten metal from the flames, and the other worked the bellows.

Dufur donned his heavy work gloves, and once the metal was poured into the caste, he dunked the caste into the cooling water. Once the steam stopped, Dufur removed the clasp with pliers and took out his hammer. The metal sang under his ministrations, and the fire roared beside him. As he worked, the world fell away and he lost himself in creation. Each clasp had to be sized correctly, before he could cool them and carved the runes into the silver.

Truly Elwyn had never seen something quite so beautiful in her life as her husband worked away in the forge. Once again she wished she had a talent for art as she longed desperately to capture the scene of Dufur bent over his anvil as he inspected the molten metal. His assistants stood off to the side, anticipating his every need. It was clear from the wonder in their eyes that they took this honour most seriously. Elwyn straightened each time he approached to measure or once again feel the delicate nature of her hair. She couldn't quite put into words the warm feeling that engulfed her, with the help of the enchanted stone that kept her cool Elwyn was certain the warmth that blanketed her now was entirely of her own making.

She smiled as Dufur paused to wipe the sweat off his brow with a small rag and returned once again to bring his hammer down. Sparks shot out of his creation, raining down over his boots and fizzling away to nothing. She took in the glory of his muscles bunching and releasing with every swing of his tool. It was clear Dufur was in his element here, that he was the master that everyone claimed him to be.

Eventually Elwyn's curiosity made it so she could no longer remain sitting. She clasped tightly to the cooling stone and approached the anvil as Dufur turned to once again heat the metal. The sound of the bellows leather creaking open and huffing into the forge filled the room and she peered down at the well used hammer he'd left on the anvil. She took it experimentally in her hands, its weight far more than she anticipated. When Dufur returned with his creation she smiled and held out the hammer for him to take.

Dufur was happily surprised when Elwyn greeted him at the anvil. He grinned and after taking the hammer in one hand, took one of hers in the other. He placed a whiskery kiss on each finger before pressing her knuckles to his forehead.

"It has been quite a while since I had a true audience watch me work. I admit I enjoy showing off for you, dear Jewel. You may stand closer if you wish, just be mindful of the fire." That answer seemed to please his ever curious wife, and Dufur chuckled. The look in her eyes at the opportunity to learn would never cease to be adorable to him. She stood just behind him to watch, and after several more hours of labor, the weddings clasps were finally finished. As his apprentices began to put out the fire and clean up, Dufur sat Elwyn down to attach them to her. She chose to have them frame her face, and delicate braids were made at the base of her temples. One of the enchantments upon them would stop the hair from growing. The silver peices shone like stars in the dying firelight, and Dufur was very pleased with his work. One of his assistants helped him attach his own, braided into the front of his beard. The couple exited the forge, and Dufur stretched with a sigh.

"I'll see you at supper, precious one. I need a cold bath and some proper clothes. I will be with you shortly." He gave her a bright smile before heading off to their chambers. Nalu walked with Elwyn to the dining hall, chatting happily and answering her many, many questions about forging. Upon entering, they found many of the court ladies there. Garnetta approached them with a haughty smirk on her lips. She stopped, her fan dropping when she spotted the wedding clasps in Elwyn's hair.

"Dear Jewel, I see you've made your decision." She said in a sour tone. "You could have simply spoken to us about it, rather than go behind our backs while everyone was excited." At Elwyn's confused expression, Gemna moved past Garnetta and took Elwyn's arm, guiding her towards her seat.

"Wedding clasps are proof of a couple's commitment. On the runes upon your clasps, they state you are the one and only. If you were open to the gathering of lovers, the runes would be different. They would state that you were the first."

Elwyn peered into a looking glass, a wide grin on her face as she took in the sight of her wedding clasps. She twisted this way and that, enjoying the way they lit up her face. Dufur's own clasps were braided into his beard and she reached out to touch them briefly. There was something so comforting in knowing they wore items that proclaimed to the world their ties to one another. Generally she was not a selfish woman, but she felt like a mighty dragon guarding its treasure when it came to Dufur.

She left the forge with him in high spirits, feeling the warmth of his smile of farewell deep in her stomach. She loved chatting with Nalu and learning about her own experiences when it came to the forge. The two women were deep in conversation about what temperature metals were best melted at when Garnetta approached them, venom in her eyes. Her words had Elwyn frowning in confusion and she looked desperately to Nalu for help when Gemna stepped in. She was grateful for the woman's explanation on the meaning behind her clasps and found herself growing even warmer with the knowledge that Dufur had listened and found a solution.

Elwyn seated herself at the table, thanking the server who offered her a goblet of wine. Garnetta stood not too far of, throwing spiteful glances in Elwyn's direction. "Gemna, would you please ask Garnetta to join me?" Elwyn asked and the kindly Dwarf nodded and went to collect the haughty woman. When both Garnetta and Gemna stood in front of her table Elwyn forced a bright smile onto her face. She was tired of Garnetta's forceful words and expectations.

"Garnetta, I've been informed the markings on my wedding clasps are quite the disappointment to you." She lifted the goblet, taking a deep drink of the wine for courage. Had her sister been in her place, the mighty bear within her would have likely taken charge of the situation far sooner than her. However Elwyn was the sort to sit back an observe, she made moves like a chess player, only stepping forward when she felt she had the upper hand. With her claim on Dufur now publicly shown, she felt confident in her next words. She was to be a queen after all.

"After speaking with my husband about your suggestion, we both feel as if that is not the sort of life we wish to lead."

"He can hardly be satisfied..." Garnetta grumbled under her breath, making Elwyn's cheeks turn pink.

"Have we not had this conversation before, my lady?" Dufur's gruff, annoyed voice came from behind them. Garnetta started, whirling around to face the prince. Dufur had one hand upon his hip, and a flagon in the other. With a hearty sigh, he placed the mug down beside Elwyn and looked to the other woman. "I have rejected your advances for quite some time, Lady Garnetta. So it was you who put that crazed idea of the gathering in my wife's head. Tell me, do you think the state of our kingdom is so dire as to need so many heirs? Or is it your father vying for more power?"

The woman was scarlet--the whole room had quieted to listen to the prince. She attempted to hide her face behind her fan, shame rolling off of her in waves. "I know you are the star of the court ladies, but I think it best that you retreat from the social scene for a time." It was not a suggestion, but an order. "Until you find the humility to apologize to the princess mother for your terrible behavior. Get out of my hall." With a quick bow, she fled from the room. After a moment, several other ladies followed, and then the normal chatter of the hall resumed. Dufur sat down beside his wife with another sigh, and took a deep drink before turning to look at her.

"You handled that with all the grace of a queen, my precious one." Gently, he ran his fingers over her new braid, playing with the wedding clasp for a moment before continuing. "Forgive me, for not being able to protect you better. Garnetta has been pursing me since childhood. I thought the wedding would finally make her see sense." The food was served, and after the first course, Runa approached them. She gave a sweeping bow, and did not raise her head until beckoned to do so. Tears were falling from her eyes as she did.

"Princess Mother, I can only beg your forgiveness, though I am unworthy." She clasped her hands before her. "I was only trying to help my friend's dear daughter. I did not know she would cause such great insult to you and to the crown." Dufur said nothing, drinking from his flagon again and taking a bite from his meal. Elwyn had been the one truly slighted from this, he would let her handle it as she wished.

The arrival of her husband had most certainly been a welcome sight. Elwyn was self aware enough to know that each and every word of Dufur's rejection brought her a small sense of glee. There was something so rewarding about standing as a united front for the crowds. Garnetta's face was a deep ruby colour by the time Dufur suggested she leave. Elwyn looked pointedly at Garnetta and then the door as the dwarven woman turned on her heel and scrambled for the exit. It surprised Elwyn to see a number of women join in Garnetta's hasty exit and she blinked trying to put all the pieces together.

Dufur's strong hand reached over and Elwyn leaned into his touch, finding comfort in the way he played with the runes framing her face. "No, no. Thank you Dufur. Truly there is nothing to forgive, Garnetta's choices are hers and hers alone." She'd been about to ask what the exit of all the other women meant when servants came around with food plates. Elwyn sat back, enjoying the rich smell of Dwarven cooking that seemed to permeate throughout the hall. She'd been so busy enjoying the scent that she had barely noticed Runa who approached after Dufur's permission.

She took in the teary eyed Dwarf and immediately felt her heart strings tug for the woman. Elwyn regarded her with serious eyes, before finally nodding. "You have my forgiveness Runa. I wonder if perhaps you'd like to put your helpful nature towards another cause. It is clear that I am most ill educated on the finer details of your customs, perhaps you might teach me? So we can avoid such tense situations in the future." Elwyn leaned forward, her hands resting on the table. "Were all those women who left, also hoping to join the gathering?" Elwyn's eyes widened in alarm at her sudden realization and she peered back at her husband. "Is it possible for one man to please so many women?" She asked, her mind jumping to the sort of magic and stamina that must take. Was Dufur capable of such feats? By the gods, would she be able to handle that? A slight rosy blush crept over every bit of pale skin that was visible to onlookers.

Dufur laughed aloud at his wife's late realization and her accompanying blush.

"Yes, my jewel. I think all of those women were hopeful candidates. A gathering of lovers has minimum ten lovers for each original partner." He stroked his beard. "While I adore your confidence in my skills, you have it reversed. It would be their job to please me, and the same for you. Harems get quite messy, there's never enough time to give each their due attentions." He grinned wickedly, and grasped her hand in his. He laid a kiss upon her knuckles, then her wrist, her palm, kissed down her forearm and up to her shoulder. "I think I'll have my hands quite full with you, precious one. There isn't enough time in the day for all the ways I wish to worship my beloved wife." Elwyn was positively scarlet, her breathing shallow as she stared at him.

Several dwarves let out small whoops or cheers, some ladies sighing dreamily. His wife looked as though she'd perish from all the attention, and Dufur couldn't help but laugh again at the sight. She was simply too cute not to tease. The prince motioned for Runa to sit beside her, and the couple became engrossed in different conversations for the rest of the meal. Dufur spoke to several ministers about various affairs, and Runa answered Elwyn's many, many questions.

There was a somewhat flexible caste system in place in Homborimm. Each caste was lauded as important in it's own way, and contributed to their society in what was seen as equal measure. Miners and Farmers and craftsman of basic needs were commoners and has surnames of common stones and low grade metals. Merchants and artisans were middle class, and had surnames of rarer stones. Artists, ministers and architects were upper class and had surnames of precious stones and metals. The royal family always had the surname of Iron, which was considered the most important and versatile metal. Soldiers gave up their caste when they joined the army, as it was a lifelong service. Likewise, priests also had no caste, as they devoted themselves wholly to the Blue Sage. While you were born into a certain caste, you could be recaste based on your abilities once you came of age. Marriage was another way to move castes. However, you could only move castes once, unless you were convicted of a crime, in which came your caste would be stripped from you, and you would be exiled from the mountain with the name Dustheel.

After the meal, Dufur took Elwyn's arm and lead her back to their rooms, which were now properly set up. Though Elwyn's collection room was filled with boxes, as no one wished to disturb it. Elwyn's maid greeted them, and guided her to the bathroom to prepare for bed. Dufur moved to the small worktable he'd brought in and sat, examining his sketches for the scale Elwyn had received.

"I hope that today was pleasing for you, dear jewel." He called as he sifted through the pages.

The meal was most illuminating in many ways, and Elwyn was grateful for Runa's patient answering of all of her questions. She hoped with time she would grow more accustomed to the forward nature of dwarves and intimacy. She was starting to think her natural pale was no more, her skin always seemed rosy around Dufur. With the meal ended, the couple was accompanied to their rooms. Elwyn greeted her maid with a kind smile and moved through to the bathroom. Day clothes were swapped for a more comfortable sleeping gown, which hung limply off her shoulders and ended mid calf. She chose to remain barefoot, enjoying the feel of her feet against the different textured rugs that lined their space.

When she re-emerged from the bathroom, she saw Dufur working at a small table and immediately went to peer over his shoulder. She saw the sketches of armor and smiled widely.
"It certainly was. There was so much I learned." Reaching out she ran her hand over the sweep of his shoulder as she turned and went to the small desk that had been set up for her. She tucked herself into the chair, sitting with her legs curled under her. It surprised her to realize how relaxed she was with Dufur in their rooms. She shot him a fond glance before bending her head and writing down the days events and her learning in her journal. When she finished, she leaned back against the back of the chair and looked over to Dufur. It occurred to her then, that she had not asked him about his day.

"Did- Did you have a good day?" She asked, her voice squeaking at first when her voice sounded louder than she had anticipated. "I am sorry about all that business with Garnetta. You said she's been pursuing you for quite some time now?" Elwyn's eyes turned down to the floor as her next thoughts flooded her brain. "That does not seem like an enjoyable experience." She told him honestly.

"It is interesting how one perceives such pursuing's. I do not think I would like such attention from anyone else but you." Elwyn smiled at the pleasant notion of more of Dufur's wooing's and lifted herself from her chair. Perhaps in the morning she would have some time to set up her collection room, she mused as she made her way towards the bed and sliding under the covers. The bed was large and cozy, and Elwyn sighed appreciatively as she sank into the lush bedding.

Dufur smiled, glad to hear that his wife had enjoyed the day despite the unpleasentness that had occured within the ladies' court. She was getting better, but the lessons with Runa would certainly be helpful if she was to truly keep them in line. She sunk into their bed after her questions, and he grinned at her contented little sigh. He stirred the fire to keep her warm and then went to sit on the end of the bed. He found her leg under the covers and gently squeezed her ankle. He thought a while before he responded.

"I had a fine day, precious one." He began "It was wonderful to have you with me in the forge, and the meal was mostly pleasant." He rubbed his beard absently. "As for Lady Garnetta, well, it's a bit of a story." Elwyn adjusted to lay on her side as she looked down at him from under the furs. "Lady Garnetta has been pursing me since I came of age. She was one of many female callers I had back then, I was constantly swamped with gifts and offers. It was hard to keep up with them all. I made as much time as I could to meet them each personally between my studies and my duties. I was only able to meet lady Garnetta once, and I did not pursue a relationship with her. This displeased her greatly, and for many years she tried anything she could think of to get my attention. Fake assassination attempts on her own life, wildly inappropriate gifts, strange midnight visits, even had her father threaten to withdraw from Homborimm." He sighed "Until today, I naught but pitied her. She was born with everything one could wish for, but it wasn't enough. How desperate must she have been for love? What made her that way?"

Dufur stood, and gently hushed Elwyn before she could begin her obvious barrage of questions. He chuckled, and come to the head of the bed, giving her forehead a scruffy kiss. "Sleep now, darling." He said softly "May the sage bless you with beautiful dreams." He pulled the furs up to her chin before turning away and moving back to the worktable. Dufur poured over the documents for some time after his wife closed her eyes, adjusting the skematics and scribbling down ideas until late into the evening. Finally, he shed his day clothes, pulled on some sleeping pants and crawled into bed beside her. Still unsure of how much he could touch, Dufur remained in his side of the bed.

~~

Elwyn did indeed have a strange dream. When she opened her eyes she was underwater--her dress and hair billowing around her weightlessly. As far as she could see there was a murky blue expanse surrounding her. When she moved her limbs bubbles sprouted and raced upwards towards the surface. Before she could go far, a beautiful hippocampus swam up to her, his mane tickling her nose. He had deep, warm black eyes that seemed to smile. Elwyn reached out a hand to touch his nose, and it was velvety soft. A small polar seal swam up around her body, playfully tugging at her clothes and pressing kisses to her skin. Elwyn laughed, surprised that she was able to breathe easily. A voice echoed in the water around her.

I am Aleut. Princess, please, save my rider. You are the only one who can. Return him to me, I beg of you. Without him I am not whole. The creature's endless eyes were filled with anguish, his long tail lashing in the water. Suddenly, her mind was filled with images--rocky caves lit with glowing algea, and a merman laying half submerged in a tiny pool. His gills fluttered, gasping in the air and blood covered his skin, his beautiful scales and fins torn to shreds.

It was not often Elwyn dreamed, more often than naught her mind had worked in its overtime with endless questions and boundless desire for learning. However with the night ending as it was, she found her dreams were quite vivid. She lay in bed, even as her mind woke from the vision, trying to conjure the image of the merman once again. The stones in the cave had soft veins of white streaking through its walls, the glowing algae sending dark shadows from the stalactites cascading around the room. She had noticed a path too, a small opening that she would have to crouch to get through.

She couldn't help but wonder if such a place nearby existed. Visions were not uncommon in these lands, but there certainly had been dreams that were mistaken for prophecy or warning. Deciding that it would not hurt to seek out such a cave Elwyn's dark eyes snapped open. Their bedroom was dark, save for the small glow of the dying fire that had kept their room warm in the night. Her gaze shifted, spotting Dufur on his side of the bed. There was something so peaceful about the slumbering dwarf, and she paused to gently brush a dark lock of hair from his face.

Elwyn made haste for the bathroom, throwing a long coat over her night gown and thrusting her hair into a clip so that it would remain out of the way. Elwyn filled a small satchel with the communication stone Dufur had gifted her along with her mightiest weapons; pen and paper. It was still quite early in the morning when she slipped from their bedroom chambers. Plucking a lit crystal from its holder, Elwyn ventured down the halls she was slowly calling home. It was strange to see the palace so quiet, its normal hustle and bustle vacant in the wee hours of the morn.

She headed for the library, of course. Perhaps such caves were nearby and could be located through a map. Elwyn pushed through the large carved doors that housed the knowledge of Homborimm and placed her things on a nearby table. She was almost giddy at the thought of finding such a place and got right to work, her clever fingers tracing over the old spines of the books, taking some out should she believe they might help her on her quest. If there was someone hurt, she would do everything in her power to help them. With that in mind, she plucked a small fist aid book off the shelf and placed it into her small pile.

Dufur always slept, no pun intended, like a rock. He woke a short time after dawn as he often did, and when he turned he found his wife absent. The blankets were cold, indicating that she'd been gone for a while. Dufur rose and dressed, then met Nalu on his way out of the rooms.

"Good morning, your highness." She greeted over the laden breakfast tray in her hands.
"Good morning, Grandmother." He replied. "If you're looking for the princess mother, she's not there." The elder gave him a curious look as he pulled out his communication stone. "My love, where are you?" He asked into it. Several moments of silence passed, and the dwarves traded a slightly worried look.
"Mmm...I'm in the library, Dufur." She responded, sounding groggy. He chuckled, and the dwarves made their way down to meet her. They found her tucked into a secluded corner, hunched over a mound of books. She was still ruffled from sleep and looked as if she'd been up all night. All she wore was a coat over her nightdress. His brow wrinkling, Dufur called into his stone for a maid with clean clothes and a pair of slippers. Nalu had cleared away some of the books to make room for the breakfast tray. At the smell of the warm food, Elwyn perked up.

Dufur sat beside Elwyn and roughly grabbed the leg of her chair before turning to towards him. He took hold of her leg and gently lifted it by her calf onto his lap. he enclosed her thin foot in his hands and tutted. "Just like I thought, your poor feet are freezing. Precious one, this is no good at all." He began to rub her foot after placing a kiss atop it. Elwyn was blushing so much she didn't even notice Nalu behind her. The woman took down her long hair and gently combed thorugh it with ehr fingers before beginning to work on slender braids.

"You'll have to forgive the intrusion, dear jewel." She said "I don't have a brush with me but I'll do my best. What brought you here?" She asked as Elwyn began to munch on the warm rolls, adding a black jam and honey to the soft bread. Dufur was also curious and looked to her with interest, never stopping his work of warming and massaging her foot.

Old curled maps lay open, held down by dusty tomes, it's carefully drawn lines detailed the outer city walls and what lay beyond. Elwyn had poured over it a long while, her eyes growing bleary with the rising sun. She'd noticed a number of small caverns that had been marked by the cartographer and she leaned in close to peer down at a series of small caves close to the entrance of the outer wall. Her hand came up to support her head as she considered, perhaps this could be the place from her vision? Elwyn barely noticed her eyes drooping as her mind swirled with thoughts.

She would need all manner of things to help this merman should he truly exist. She would of course grab them once she could make a proper inventory, it was important one not adventure unless they were prepared, of course. She was drawn out of such thoughts when the communication stone that was helping to hold down the map crackled to life; Dufur's concerned tone jolting her from her musings. Her elbow slipped, knocking into the stone and sending it rolling away and off the table with a clatter. Muttering a soft curse Elwyn bent, reaching for the stone and sending back her reply.

It didn't take long for Grandmother Nalu and her husband to find her. Elwyn took stock of her little corner and realized in her haste for knowledge she had made quite the little nest for herself. It was entirely too easy for her to get lost for long hours when she'd engaged with something interesting, and this vision certainly was. Dufur took his place next to her and when he reached out to grip her chair and pull her closer Elwyn just about combusted with how attractive she found his take charge attitude. Dufur's lap was warm as he gathered her feet in his hands, his clever thumbs finding the right rhythm and pressure to turn her to jelly in his hands. When Nalu began to braid and comb through her hair Elwyn sighed happily.

"Thank you. The both of you." She said, her tone relaxed. When Nalu questioned the purpose her her fact finding mission Elwyn straightened, her feet pulling out of Dufur's lap as guilt flooded her veins. Here was, living the life of luxury while another lay hurt and bleeding in a cave. Her gaze was serious as she held Dufur's gaze captive.

"I believe I was gifted a vision. I saw a small cave with a pool of water and there was... someone. He looked very hurt. I must seek him out and offer my assistance." Elwyn head's tilted as Nalu gathered more of her hair for another braid. "I believe he must be nearby, otherwise I do not understand why I was given such a vision. The cave had glowing algae, and white streaks of rock flowing through it's walls. Does such a place exist nearby?" Elwyn pointed out the small cave she had found on the map. "Perhaps here?" She asked.

Dufur listened intently as Elwyn spoke, all exhaustion melting from her tone. A vision? How interesting. He wondered if his wife had a history of clairvoyance. She gestured to the map after describing the area she'd seen, and he bent over the table to examine it. Dufur stroked his beard in thought.

"Yes, those caves would fit that description. Though it's a wonder if a fully grown man did get in, the opening to the river is small at best. I'll get a spelunking team together and have them extract the poor man." He reached over and gripped Elwyn's hands. A mixture of worry and relief covered her thin face. He reached up and caressed her cheek with his thick knuckles. She leaned into his touch, tiredness flitting over her features briefly. Dufur stood then, and swept her up into his arms. Elwyn let out a squeal of shock, wrapping her arms around his neck to keep herself steady. His face was at eye level with her bosom, and he cheekily pressed a kiss to her sternum as he began to walk.

"You will come back to bed and get some proper rest, my love. I will have everything taken care of to receive your guest." The staff made sure to move around the couple as he carried her down the hallways back to their chambers. "Just be ready to greet youor new guest around evening." They had reached the room, and he gently placed her down upon the bed. Dufur took her coat and pulled the blanket up to her chest. "Rest now, and Grandmother will help Kyrie with meals and whatnot." He pressed a kiss to her brow and left the room.

The rest of the day he spent coordinating the rescue attempt and other things for the man's arrival. A room was cleaned and redied for him, and he would have priests and healers standing by to give aid. The spelunking crew took several hours to widen the tunnel into the caves, and found the wounded merman in the very last cavern. They hadn't even needed the communication stone, he was unconscious form blood loss. The poor man was in quite a sorry state, and it was into the early evening when the healers deemed him fit for company. He had needed to emoty and clean a royal spa room to conatin him, having it filled with saltwater and warmed. Dufur lent his arm to his wife and they entered the room together.

Several maids bowed deeply as they entered, and sitting on the edge of the large pool was the merman. Upon seeing Elwyn, a delighted smile lit up his face, his iridescent fin ears fanning outward. He made a gesture of greeting with his webbed hand, and extended his arms to her.

"I did not expect to find a cousin here. It puts me at ease to be with family." Elwyn moved to him, and they pressed their foreheads together while embracing. "Are you the one who rescued me?"

Dufur had to hide his displeasure at the level of intimacy a complete stranger was displaying with his wife. He wondered if she had intentionally held back the fact that he was a merman, or if she hadn't known. It was part of their culture, he supposed, but seeing his wife in her lovely gown now wet and pasted to her body got him more riled up than he liked to admit. The merman's deep black eyes were devouring Elwyn almost greedily. He was incredibly beautiful--chiseled features, long hair and pearlescent skin, almost like a living jewel. All the delicate membranes and fins caught the light, spreading glittering blue and purple flecks of light around the cave. Dufur folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the wall as he watched them converse in Mermish. He would restrain himself. He would be patient, even if it irked him. Elwyn would share information when she was ready.

Last edited:
The arrival of evening had further guilt settling into Elwyn's stomach. Her hands curled anxiously around themselves, holding tight enough to turn her knuckles a deeper shade of white. Her brows pinched together as she paced in the entryway of their rooms, her gown swishing around her ankles with every turn. Dufur's work desk held the designs for her armor and Elwyn paused, her shoulders drooping as she took in the powerful looking chest plate. Did she truly deserve such a thing? It was all well and good to collect and gather information, but if she had not the strength to carry through her plan perhaps she was not the queen her people needed her to be.

Frustration lanced through her as a knock sounded at the door, Nalu and Kyrie stood behind the door and Elwyn put on a brave smile. She followed the women down the hall and down to the bathing room set aside for their guest. Dufur was there waiting for him and she grasped his offered arm tightly. She'd been hesitant to share the nature of the merman, there had been a small niggling feeling that had brought her uncertainty. Mountains and oceans were too often worlds apart and she worried if a cousin of hers would be received well. She had fully intended to venture out into the caverns herself to find him but after hearing how long it took a small group of skilled dwarves she realized she had been fully out of her element.

Upon entering the bathing room the smell of salt water and medicine filled Elwyn's nostrils. She spotted the merman and relief flooded through her veins when he's lips curved up in a smile. When the merman raised his hand Elwyn quickly went to him, ignoring the puddles of water that surrounded him. She knelt, the white of her gown growing sheer as it soaked up the salty water. His voice reminded her of waves lapping against the shore, it was soft and lyrical. His long hair was pleated and brushed against her forehead as the greeted one another.

"It was a vision, dear cousin. However the true rescue was led by my husbands men." Elwyn explained, the old language of the sea coming back to her quickly. She leaned away and gestured to Dufur who stood rigidly nearby. "Your Aluet is most eager for news of your safe return, may I know the name of his rider?" She asked. The mermans gills seemed to fan out and retreat back in and Elwyn smiled at him. It felt so good, even if she had not been physically helpful she had been able to help direct Dufur's men towards the right location.

"I am Roan, and you dear cousin, what may I call you?" Roan's eyes were dark, and there was a sparkle of mischief in them as his eyes dipped. Had Elwyn bothered to follow his gaze she would have seen the state of her dress and scrambled for some modesty, however she was far too pleased to see him to bother.

"You may call me Elwyn, and my husband is Dufur." Elwyn twisted and looked over to the dwarf. She took in the looming sight of him against the wall, there was something intense in his gaze and Elwyn resisted a shiver that wanted to coarse its way down her spine. "Are you able to speak common?" She asked, it didn't seem fair to her that they speak without other being able to understand.

"Of course. Though I must admit it has always felt like such a harsh language on my tongue." Roan said switching to common easily. "Words have a taste and I find mermish and Elvish to be the sweetest." Roan purred, his hand reaching out to tug lightly on the strands of hair that held her marriage clasps. He winked at Elwyn and she stammered.

"O- oh... Dufur-" desperately she twisted, unsure of what to do with that information and held out her hand to him. Dufur approached and Elwyn frowned a little when the dwarf hunkered down and placed his body between hers and Roans. "Dufur this is Roan. Roan, this is the man responsible for your rescue." Elwyn said peeking over Dufur's shoulder. Roan seemed to size up Durfur before speaking.

"Were it not for you darling cousin I should remain alone in that cave." Roan stated, his eyes cooling multiple degrees as his eyes locked with Dufurs.

Dufur was calling upon the great sage for all the patience he could muster. Was it not enough to openly covet his wife? He had to insult the language he used, too? Dufur inserted himself between the two at his wife's behest. He folded his arms over his chest as he looked up at the Merman.

"Indeed, my wife is quite the hero this night. Her gentle heart is more precious than any jewel we have in the mountain." He looked over and gestured to a maid, who came forward. "Please let your attendants know should you need anything, Ser Roan. You are a precious guest of the princess mother. If you'll excuse us, we must attend to our own affairs." Taking hold of Elwyn's arm, he marched her out of the chamber. Dufur steered them into another nearby room, and slammed the door closed. Releasing her, he paced for a moment, fuming.

Finally, he moved back to his wife, and in one smooth motion, swept her feet out from under her. He caught her torso as she slipped, and pressed a heavy, passionate kiss to the hollow of her throat. He kissed up her neck, nibbled on her delicate ear and covered her jawline with gentle kisses and bites. It took all of his willpower not to kiss her soft lips, not to simply peel the wet garment from her and have his way there upon the floor. Dufur then tugged her back up to standing before ripping off his own shirt and tossing it to her.

"It would not do for others to see you so, dear jewel." He ran a hand over his face, still irritated, with a sigh. "Forgive me. I was too hasty. My blood boils to see another man look at you in such a salacious way, when I, your own husband, cannot express his desires so." His ears burned red with embarrassment and he turned away. "I have been selfish. I understand if you are cross with me." Dufur moved to the door, placing his hand upon the handle. "I will send Kyrie for you, and you need not join me for dinner, if that is your desire. I am sorry, precious one."

Last edited:
The way Dufur had inserted himself between the two of them had Roan's eyes flashing with something and Elwyn didn't recognize. There seemed to be a tension that left her feeling confused and dizzy at the same time. She'd been about to add to Dufur's statement when her husband abruptly stood, his hand catching her arm. His grip was tight on her, though she knew he would never bruise her. She looked back at Roan as Dufur led her away from the merman and flushed a deep red when he blew her a kiss.

It didn't take long for the two of them to reach their next destination, the door slamming on a small room she'd never been in. Had Elwyn been in the right state of mind she would have looked around the room and gleamed its purpose from the small items of furniture there. However the rooms purpose was the last thing on her mind while Dufur paced in front of her. His steps seemed to reverberate through the floor, making her knees weak. Desperately trying to understand what had caused her husband such strife Elwyn stepped forward, ready to calm and comfort. The notion was short lived when Dufur reached for her.

She wasn't sure how it had happened, but one moment she stood on her own two feet and the next the air was rushing out from under her as she landed in his arms. Elwyn's squeak of surprise cut off short, the noise turning into something breathless as Dufur's mouth found the delicate skin of her neck. Instinctively she angled her neck, offering up more of her for him to kiss and lick. Her hands found the soft fabric of his shirt, and her fingers twisted in the material, pulling it tight and anchoring him to her. A fire burned low in her belly, some unknown need driving her to arch against him.

It was over all too soon. Dufur's mouth left her jawline and she let out a soft noise of frustration at the loss of contact. In the next moment he had her back on her feet and she had to struggle to keep her footing. when Dufur lifted his shirt off Elwyn could have sworn her mouth watered. The sight of him without his garments would forever be one of her favourites. However the look of anger and shame sent her way had the delicious buzz he'd set in her fade. Had she done something wrong?

Elwyn caught the shirt in both hands and regarded her husband with wide eyes. See her so? What on earth had that meant? Elwyn looked down and blinked in surprise at the state of her gown. It's pale fabric clung to her, and left very little to the imagination.

"By the gods..." Elwyn squeaked again, clutching Dufur's shirt tight to her bodice. "T-thank you." Quickly she pulled the material over herself and listened as Dufur explained himself. He was close to the door, hand resting on the handle as he looked down in shame. Elwyn felt as if she might combust, the sudden realization that everyone had seen her in such a state hit her like a brick wall. By the time she had collected her thoughts enough to speak, Dufur had left, closing the door softly behind him.

Her mind was still racing by the time she had been escorted back to the rooms. Dufur had spoken of not being able to express his desires around her... shame coloured her cheeks as she undressed in the bathroom. Was she not fulfilling her duties as a wife? The notion seemed so unforgivable, especially when he'd given her such pleasure. Determination brought her brows together in thought and she returned to the bedroom and found Grandmother Nalu and Kyrie there.

"Kyrie, please send a message to Dufur for me. Tell him I will be missing supper, but not for the reason he thinks." Elwyn took a deep breath before drawing herself up to her full height, her chin lifting. "Tell him I expect my husband to return at a reasonable hour." Kyrie nodded, bowing quickly before slipping away to deliver her message. There was a cruel little smile on her lips as she thought of her phrasing. She would deliver the message of course, but surely it would be more fun for the prince to think his wife was irate. Unrest, after all was her middle name.

Back in the room Elwyn deflated a little as she avoided looking at Grandmother Nalu directly. "I need your help." She murmured.

"Tell what it is Jewel and I will see to it."

"No this must remain between you and me." Elwyn finally looked at the kindly woman, every bit of her skin flushed a deep red. "I wish to know how to seduce my husband."

Dufur had holed himself up in his stood, looking over some state documents he'd been putting off. Though he wasn't really reading them, just staring as the image of his breathless, flushed wife in that dark room was seared into his mind. The look of horror and shame on her face--it rended his heart. Dufur wished he never would have given in to the moment of weakness. No matter her state, he promised they would move at her pace. It was inexcusable for him, both as a man and as a husband, to break such a vow. How easily he'd crumbled under a little jealousy.

There was a light knock on the door, and Kyrie entered, looking upset. Dufur stood immediately, how brows knitted with worry.

"The princess mother will not be joining anyone for dinner this evening." She stated, her tone even.

"How is she?" He asked, desperate for a scrap of information. The maid shook her head, looking troubled.

"I've never seen her in quite such a state." Kyrie replied. She gave a small dip before excusing herself. Dufur collapsed into his chair and groaned. How on earth was he going to fix this?
~~

At Elwyn's shaky request, Nalu burst out laughing. Her laugh shook the eves of the room, and she collapsed into the floor in her fit. After almost fifteen minutes, she calmed and stood. Brushing herself off, she came forward and hugged Elwyn tightly.

"Forgive me, dear Jewel. I could not help myself. The notion of you having to work to seduce any man was so terribly funny." She released her, grinning still. "Surely, you are aware of how beautiful you are?" Elwyn was blushing again, looking away bashfully. She helped Elwyn sit and poured them some tea. "But what brought this about?" She listened as Elwyn explained and nodded along. "I see. Well, should that incident not be evident enough to show you need no aid in driving your husband feral?" Elwyn blushed all over again at her words, and Nalu chuckled, shaking her head. "I cannot teach you the ways of the bedroom, dear Jewel. That is far too intimate a task for a mere nanny to undertake." She raised her hand when Elwyn went to protest. "I can give you a few suggestions for atmosphere. But all you need to do is sit on that bed bare in just your clasps."

The two women spent the next few hours talking and then preparing the room. Nalu drew a hot bath with perfumes and salts, letting Elwyn soak in it as she lot candles around the room and stoked the fire, turning out the magic stones that were the main source of light. She spread luxurious furs out on the bed and drew the sheer curtains closed. After drying Elwyn off and dousing her in another light perfume, she ushered her onto the bed to wait. "I'll make sure he's here. You will do just fine, I promise." She then left the room.
~~

Dufur found himself dragged back towards his chambers by his very own nanny. She spoke not a word, but had a strange look on her face he'd never seen. He was unceremoniously shoved through the doors with a hasty

"G'night, my lord!" Before the doors slammed shut. The room was darkened, lit mainly by candles. The curtains to the bed were drawn closed, but he saw a silhouette dimly there. Sighing heavily, he stroked his beard and spoke.

"Please, my love, I beg you to forgive me. My actions were inexcusable. I broke the vow I made to you on our first night together. I deserve nothing less than your ire. I will take any punishment you see fit, I only ask that you can accept my apology soon."

She had been so brave through the whole process, listening with rapt attention as Nalu gave her advice. Much to her dismay there didn't seem to be a step by step process that went into seducing ones partner. The soft glow of candle light filled the room and Elwyn bid Nalu farewell. Biting her bottom lip hard, Elwyn wasted no time in stripping free from her nightgown and robe, she laid them gently on a nearby chair and after looking over herself in a nearby mirror she dove for the covers of the bed. Initially she had thought to leave drapes around the bed open, but the idea that someone might see her from the hall was rather terrifying.

Elwyn focused on her breathing, trying out a few poses in the center of the bed that felt natural but seemed to accent the bits of herself she thought were the most appealing. Unfortunately she couldn't seem to find a position that felt at all like her, so she forced herself into a sitting position, and waited. It didn't take long for the heavy door of their room to open, from the sounds of things Nalu had shoved Dufur in and shut the door smartly in his face. Had he been dragged here against his will? Alarm had her dark eyes flaring to life.

She'd been about to open her mouth an apologize for the fanfare when Dufur beat her to the punch. His words warmed her heart and before she knew it a soft smile was curling over her lips. Perhaps it was the soft glow that illuminated his shadow against the curtains, or the soft crackle of the fire. There was something in this moment that gave her the courage to move forward with her plan.
"Come to bed husband, and then we can further discuss your punishment." Elwyn almost broke out into a giggle with her words, but she managed to clamp down on her jaw and waited for him to move forward. A quick glance down assured her that the sheets covered nothing, and she lifted her head just in time to see Dufur's hand pull the curtain to the side. At the sight of her he froze, his arm trapped in time and space as he took in the sight of her. The same look filled his eyes, and Elwyn recognized it as hunger. His longing fueled her bravery, coming up to her knees, Elwyn ventured to the edge of the bed where he stood and let her arms link behind his neck.

"Your vow has been well and kept Dufur. I assure you, every touch and kiss was very... wanted." Her half lidded eyes were locked on his. "Make me yours Dufur, in every way."

Dufur needed no more encouragement. He leaned forward and pressed a rough kiss to her rib cage, letting his hands explore her soft, exposed skin as he covered her midriff in kisses.

"My wife." He growled "My wife, my wife, my beautiful, temptress wife. By the sage do you drive me insane." Dufur spent the next several hours worshiping every inch of Elwyn. He explored her body, fascinated by the differences to his own. Dufur quite enjoyed learning of all the secret little spots that drove Elwyn mad. He eased away her embarrassment and insecurity with hot kisses and sweet words, slipping into his mother tongue as he praised her--got lost in her. Dufur withheld nothing from her, giving all she asked as soon as she asked it, except joining their bodies. Though the way she pouted and whined for it nearly broke his resolve. It was early into the next morning when he finally relented. Though the prince was far from sated himself, his poor wife was exhausted. He ran a hot bath for her, and carefully washed her body, then her hair.

The way she melted into the hot water was terribly satisfactory, and he could not suppress the cocky smile that played along his lips. Dufur let her dry off and dress herself, before they crawled into bed together. Elwyn snuggled up close to him, laying her head upon his chest with a happy sigh. Dufur shed his many rings and ran his thick fingers through her fine hair idly.

"I'm very glad you enjoyed yourself, my precious one." He said softly. "Thank you for granting me such an honor." He laid a kiss upon her head. "Promise me you'll be more careful around Roan." He said. "I don't like the way he yearns for you. I fear what he will try if I am not around." Dufur hated to spoil the sweet moment they shared, especially when she needed rest. BUt his mind was filled with worry--rememebring how the man's dark eyes devoured her so. "Please, Elwyn."

There was no way should could have known such pleasure was possible. Dufur's skilled mouth and hands drove her up and over each peak with gentle praise and sweet touches that drove her mad. She was eager to reciprocate and learn his body as much as he was learning hers. Dufur's stamina had her weeping tears of ecstasy as he kept her writhing well into the early hours of the morning. It seemed as if his longing had been pent up for so long and the dam had broken loose on his control.

She loved every second of it.

Finally when the warm water of the bath soothed her aching limbs she let herself come back down to earth. Dufur's body was pure molten behind her and she sank into his embrace as he washed and cared for her. Later when they were once again in the warm welcoming sheets of the bed Elwyn curled her body around her husband and closed her eyes as her cheek rested against the strong muscles of his chest. Her breathing was slow and even as she waited for sleep to take her, Dufur's low voice rumbled in his chest as he brought up his worries. Truly Elwyn had forgotten about the existence of the troubling merman and her eyes snapped open as Dufur spoke of him. She was quiet a long while after he entreated her.

"I will ensure nothing untoward shall happen." She promised him. It surprised her to think that Dufur thought so little of the merman, Roan's way of speaking was not unlike the Dwarves who were also so free with their affections. It was hard for her to tell the difference, but she would do her best to ensure the happiness of her husband and her people. Elwyn lifted her head, pressing a kiss to Dufur's lips, lingering there for a long moment.

While the two slept away the last few hours of the morning Roan lay back in the water, his hands pillowing under his head as he gazed up at the ceiling. His tail swished lazily in the water, keeping him afloat on the waters surface. The Elven princess was beautiful, her dark hair as shiny as the sunrise's gleam over the ocean. Her dark eyes held depth and he thought of unlocking the secrets she held. A wry smile curled over his lips.

It was late into the afternoon when Dufur and Elwyn stirred. It seemed Nalu had kept the other servants at bay for the couple's first night together. Dufur tugged on the rope that signaled they needed assistance. Dufur was quick to wash, dress and eat, giving his wife a gentle kiss before leaving to attend to his daily duties. The work always managed to pile up when he stole a few hours away.

Kyrie and Nalu helped Elwyn wash and dress, and spoke excitedly with her about her first night with the prince. They were glowing with happiness for her. After Elwyn was sufficiently awake, she was to attend to her own duties. She had meetings with several noble families she had not met yet, as well as a meeting with the palace gardeners. Dufur had appointed them when she arrived to increase the foliage around Homborimm for her comfort, and they were eager to take instruction.

Finally, she was able to visit her guest. Nalu had other duties to see too, so it was just Elwyn and Kyrie who went to the chamber. Roan swam over to meet them, and looked wounded that only Kyrie returned the traditional greetings with him. After observing her a moment as Elwyn sat in a chair before him, he placed his elegant chin upon his webbed hand, his claws brushing his cheek.

"I see your husband has bedded you." He said, his tone of teasing interest. Elwyn flushed and he grinned, his pointed teeth showing. "By the state of your legs, it seems to be the first time. That saddens me, as you deserve all the pleasure in the world, dear cousin. All this time on the mountain and he is just now taking you so? Hmpf. Is he not a man? How could any creature resist you?" Behind her, Kyrie gave a small snort of laughter. Roan's tail swished out behind him, cutting through the water with a lazy motion. "Tell me, are you well? Do you not miss the earth, the sky? It must be difficult for you to adjust to such a dim place and a strange culture. Not that I'm not grateful." He said hurriedly at the frown on her face. "I'm just curious, dear cousin. All of this is new to me. I must be the first of us to see such a place." He reached out his free hand and playfully grabbed the hem of her skirt, running the heavy fabric through his fingers. Roan gave her and impish smile before reaching further with his long arm and caressing her ankle with his fingers.

Upon Elwyn's instruction the walls of Homborimm were set to host a great number of planters and even a small room that would host a large tree and creeping vines. Elwyn had done her best to choose low light foliage and even included a number of fungi that glowed dimly in the absence of light. The gardeners had walked away most intrigued by her collection of seeds and books and she promised to share more of her knowledge with them. The idea that some of her home might meld with Dufur's was an exciting one. A part of her hoped Homborimm's residents would find the same joy she would.

She had entered Roan's watery shelter feeling pride over her accomplishments. The past twenty four hours had certainly been rather exciting for the normally tucked away elf. She'd been a part of a rescue, bedded her husband for the first time and now she was set to bring about a rather lovely change. Her mood however dropped when she saw the Merman. His dark eyes seemed to glint with some emotion that was still foreign to her. Remembering her husbands words she refrained from greeting him traditionally and instead took up a seated position near the waters edge.

Roan's abrupt words had her flushing a deep scarlet and she did her best to sit up straight and appear as though she was the experienced woman she so desperately wanted to be. Perhaps then she could begin to take on more... do more. Roan gave her no time to protest, moving his next observations to the state of her home. She was frowning, wondering how he could not see the beauty in the carvings all around them. Could he not see the masterwork required to create a bath as exquisite as this? Even now the tiles he rested his hands on were all lovingly handmade, and painstakingly placed with accuracy. When Roan's hand touched her ankle Elwyn froze, unable to find the courage to pull away. She did not want to offend a cousin or make a scene in front of her ladies maid, however her silence was telling. Elwyn's hand's curled into fists in her lap. Kyrie's cough had her looking up and she watched as her maid looked pointedly at the merman and then back to her.

"I'm certain my mistress had plenty to say on your queries." Kyrie said, bowing her head to the both of them to hide her smile. Gods it was fun to meddle.

"Ah yes..." Elwyn finally mustered her courage to stand and move out of Roan's grasp, but not before he dragged a gentle claw down her delicate skin. She was certain he meant it to be a friendly caress but all it did was send a horrified shiver through her. She was grateful for the reprieve from his touch, even if he could see the weakness in her knees from her husbands ministrations. "I miss the sky... I miss the stars." Elwyn had to confess, she couldn't run from this situation without causing more worry for her husband. She could handle this. "But my home is here, and I take great joy in it. I love the people and their unique customs. I love watching them work in the forges to create lovely things."

"Surely you will grow weary of it. Things can only be new for so long." Roan crooned.

She didn't know how to respond to that. Elwyn froze in place wondering what on earth he was playing it. "I assure you, my dedication will not waver. Now if you will excuse me." Elwyn dipped low in a curtsey. She left as Kyrie and Roan exchanged looks, missing the conspiratorial smiles they shared. Only one thing was on her mind and that was Dufur. She needed his comforting aura.

Dufur had been holed up in his office all day, slowly working his way through the stacks of paperwork that littered every open surface. It had been a horribly boring day, looking over everything with the correct amount of attention. Mining reports, trade reports boarder reports. He was waiting on a letter from the village of Orcs closes to them--they would be able to transport the merman back to the ocean. There was one set of documents, however, that proved to be quite troubling for him. The doors to his office opened, and his wife glided in. Her maid followed with a small cart of tea and treats. Dufur smiled, and when she embraced him, he took fistfuls of her dress in his hands as he kissed her deeply.

"Good evening, my precious one." He said softly as they released each other. He very much enjoyed the deep red flush upon her skin. "How was your day?" They sat in the small, cluttered lounge area as Kyrie poured the tea. Elywn chatted happily about the various affairs she had attended to, though she seemed a little stiff as she spoke about her guest. She asked about his day, and he smiled, taking her free hand in his own. "My day was long and tedious. I so desperatly wished to have stayed in our rooms all day and love you properly." He kissed her knuckles and laughed as she flushed again, before sitting back with a small sigh. "Being with you is certainly more pleasant than my current dilemma." She tilted her head, looking at him questioningly. Dufur rummage through his papers before handing her a small stack of reports. "There have been a string of robberies in our farthest outposts. Whats strange is that they only rob the graves." Elwyn look alarmed, a small gasp coming from her. "We do not decorate graves in our culture." He explained "We do not bury our dead with valuables or anything of the sort. The robbers would have needed inside knowledge to even find the mausoleums." Dufur sat back in his chair and stroked his beard in thought.

The couple talked for a long while before leaving to sup at the dining hall. They enjoyed a meal with the king and advisors before retiring to their room. Dufur spent the night again in worship of his wife, letting her explore his body to her hearts content before doing the same to her. When they lay together many hour later, Dufur kissed her hairline softly. "Forgive my avarice, dear jewel." He murmured "I find the tatste of your skin terribly addicting. I can hardly control myself most days, you know that?" He smiled at her small laugh, and held her closely until they fell asleep.
Much later in the night, Kyrie woke Elwyn gently.

"My lady," She said in a panicked tone "Come quickly!" Elwyn dressed in a thin nightgown and ran after her maid, her husband still asleep behind her. Kyrie lead Elwyn to the chamber where Roan was staying. A beautiful, haunting song hung in the air. A tale of ill fated love, heartbreak and loneliness. It was in mermish, and bouncing off the water inside it sounded achingly beautiful. Unable to listen anymore, Elwyn burst into the room. Roan lifted his head, pearlescent tears running down his cheeks.

"Princess?" His voice was hoarse and shaking, like he couldn't believe she was really there.

Years down the road Elwyn would treasure these moments the most, the ones where she sat in his offices and they talked plainly about the plans for Homborimm. Dufur discussed the grave robberies with her and Elwyn was more than happy to listen as he talked out the potential next courses of action. She felt in a small way helpful, slowly the worries from the day slipped away and as she dined with her husband Elwyn felt the tense muscles that held her ridged release. Later when he took her back to their rooms and made love to her she lost herself in the sensations of his body. Dufur's skill and endurance had her seeing the stars despite the rocky mountain walls that hung over them.

She curled into him, loving the molten heat of him against her cool delicate skin, lazily she traced over the slope of muscle along his chest as he confessed his addiction to her. She tilted her head to press a kiss to the junction of his neck and shoulder, lingering there a moment.

"I confess I feel just as insatiable." She told him just as a yawn had her mouth opening wide with a rush of air. Content and at peace in his comforting embrace Elwyn let herself drift off.

Kyrie's panicked voice and persistent hold on her arm had Elwyn slipping out of her dreams of home. Groggily she peeled herself away from Dufur, doing her best to ignore her ladies maid's eyes as she took in Dufur's naked form. She dressed quickly, following Kyrie as they rushed out of the door and down the hall. Elwyn heard Roan's song halfway down the hall and her heart broke in two at the mournful lament that echoed through the mountain. He sang of love lost, and the hopeless desire that flowed through his veins. Had Elwyn's wits been about her she would have turned around and marched away from his siren song. However she was easy prey, slipping into his call and heading his beckoning.

She pushed open the door, and both she and Kyrie stumbled into the room, their gait sluggish as their bodies called them towards Roan's song. She ached for him, spotting the tears that leaked from his eyes like pearls along the ocean floor. Her mind grew blank as she rushed towards him, lifting the hem of her nightgown to press against his cheeks. His song ended with his question and Elwyn nodded sinking to her knees next to him. She looked up at him earnestly, hoping to take away the pain in his voice. Kyrie was next to her, eager for the attention of the merman but his dark eyes never strayed from Elwyn.

"You must know. It's for you. It's all for you." Roan crooned, his clawed hand lifting to cup her face. Elwyn was so focused on his touch there that she didn't notice as Roan gracefully slid from his perch on the waters edge and into the salty water of the bath. His hand hooked behind her neck, and she leaned forward towards the water, letting him dictate her motions. Slowly the fog in her mind began to clear and Roan watched as a light of understanding began to alight in the elven princesses eyes. "You are too good for these dirt dwellers dearest. Let me take you... here and now, and forever."

"I- I can't" Elwyn tried to pull back, but his grip on her neck tightened. Elwyn's hands shot out to the edge of the pool, pressing to try and anchor herself away from the merman. "Kyrie?" In a desperate attempt Elwyn called out for the ladies maid that remained close to her side, but help didn't come. The water was drawing closer to her face and Elwyn began to panic, her body writhing to get away. Roan made a noise of disapproval before starting his song once more.

A sudden scream interrupted them enough to startle Roan momentarily. A loud clattering came form by the door, where a servant stood, frozen in fear. The tray she had been carrying and its contents were scattered upon the floor. She screamed again, lurching backwards and scrambling out of the doors again. Not a moment later a swarm of guards came. Two helped haul Elwyn out of Roan's grip and back onto the ground, several pointing spears and swords at him, and one even helped a dazed Kyrie to her feet.

The next half hour was pure commotion. The elves were helped back to the royal chambers and someone was sent to wake the king and counselors to discuss the situation. Upon her return, Dufur, who had enough thought to throw on a robe but not enough to tie it--snatched Elwyn out of Kyrie's arms. He took her to the bathroom and insisted on peeling off her wet gown and drying her himself to check for injuries. As he toweled her dry, Dufur ran his hands over each limb, inspecting every inch of her with a furrowed brow. He found nothing until he came to her neck, and upon seeing the large bruise the merman had left, Dufur let out a loud curse. He placed a gentle kiss upon the wound and spoke as he gently dried her hair.

"I'll kill him." His voice was deathly quiet and icy cold. "I'll take a his head for that bruise he gave you. No one touches you like that. No one causes hurt to my jewel and lives." He seethed. Dufur had done his best with her long tresses, but stopped for fear of tangling her hair. He came around to face her and knelt, taking her soft calves in his hands and pressing his forehead to her bare thighs. "I beg forgiveness, my dearest Elwyn." He said, his voice thick with emotion. "I have failed in my first and most important duty as your husband. You are hurt because I failed to protect you. I know there is no penance great enough to absolve my sin, but please, let me try. How can I make you feel safe again?" Dufur dared not raise his head, too ashamed to look his wife in the eye. The image of the hand shaped bruise on her flawless, soft skin would haunt his dreams for many nights to come. There was a soft knock on the bathroom door, and Nalu's voice slipped through. She sounded almost more upset than Dufur.

"My prince, the king is calling for you. Dearest jewel does not have to attend if she is too exhausted or afraid."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back