• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom The Quest for Nuzlocke - A Pokemon Interest Check

Covenant

Sentinent Cheesecake
Hey everyone! This is an interest check for a „Nuzlocke-Quest“ Pokemon roleplay.

The world, as you know it is in danger. Strange things are taking place. Seas are boiling, the sun won‘t come up, volcanoes that have been lying dormant for ages are coming to life again, smoke rising to the sky.
All this is happening, and yet nobody knows the reason. So a small group of heroes and their trusted companions will have to set out and travel all the different regions to find out what is upsetting the natural balance.

The RP will aim to emulate the „Nuzlocke“ experience some people might know from the game (either having played it themselves or having seen any kind of fan content about it) in the form of an RP.

- But what does „Nuzlocke“ mean?
The Nuzlocke Challenge is a set of rules intended to create a higher level of difficulty while playing the Pokémon games. Many challengers feel that the rules also serve the purpose of encouraging the use of Pokémon the player would not normally choose, and promoting closer bonds with the player's Pokémon. The rules are not an in-game function, but are self-imposed on the part of the player, and thus subject to variation.
(Quote taken from Bulbapedia, you can read the full article by clicking the link.)

While this RP will not aim to keep you on your toes all the time by threatening you with the loss of your pokemon, it will incorporate certain aspects for the Nuzlocke-Challenge.

- Each player will receive their starting pokemon randomly, based on the pokemon that are available in their chosen region. (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola). Since those are considered „starter“ Pokemon, you will all start with the lowest possible evolution. That includes baby Pokemon.
Single-stage Pokemon (Pokemon that do not have any evolution stages) will be balanced by learning their moves a lot later so that no player feels at a disadvantage because they got a Wurmple, and the next player got a Heracross.
Similarly, baby pokemon that usually do not learn any attacking moves during their first levels will get one starting move that actually will do damage.

I will implement a shiny chance in the game: After rolling your encounter, I will roll a second time for a chance of the Pokemon being shiny. (1:256).
Mega-Evolutions / Z-moves are not a thing in this game, neither are the Ultra-Beasts from Alola.

- Pokemon will not only gain experience by fighting but also by bonding with their trainer or having their skills used in a creative way. (Think of it like a DnD campaign where outsmarting your enemy might give you more points than fighting them.)

- Every time the group reaches a new region, each player will get ONE encounter with a wild Pokemon. The Pokemon will be chosen randomly from the Pokemon native to that region, and the player can then choose to either attempt to bond with the Pokemon, or just leave it be. Leaving it be will mean that your forfeit your encounter for this region.

- „Dupes clause“ will be implemented from the games. What this means is that, if a player in the group already has a Rattata, and another player gets a Rattata as their next encounter, they can choose to let the Rattata go and will then get another encounter. If the player wants to keep the Rattata despite it being a dupe, that is fine too.
This is to give the players an option of having a big, diverse group of pokemon they will be traveling with.

-Legendary Pokemon do exist in this world. However, they are „one of a kind“, are considered sacred and will not leave their native region. At no point in the RP will any player character be able to „claim“ one of those pokemon for themselves.

- Each region will represent a certain „region“ in our world, to allow for a diverse cast of characters. Since each of the regions, until Unova, used to be based on a region in Japan, we are going to assume for the sake of the RP that all those regions are interconnected in some way, but have different cultural backgrounds.
(While that would be impossible on such a small scale in the real world, this is Pokemon after all, and characters should have the chance to travel everywhere, and meet each other.)

The starting point for all characters will be the Indigo-Plateau – a central point in the middle of all the regions, used for important meetings and with a „cosmopolitan“ feeling to it. It will be neutral ground for all the characters so they can get acquainted with each other.

Kanto – Eurasia
Johto – Asia
Hoenn – Australia
Sinnoh – Africa
Unova – America (with a focus on the „melting pot“ aspect of America. It doesn‘t have to just be North America)
Kallos – Europe

While Alola can be used as a potential region of origin for the character too, it‘s considered too far away to realistically be part of the „ongoing“ plot.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO PICK ONE REGION FOR CHARACTER BACKGROUND, AND PICK ANOTHER REGION TO GET YOUR FIRST POKEMON FROM!
So don‘t feel forced to pick a region because you like the Pokemon when you would pick a different region for your character background.

-Diverse characters (i.e. characters of color, different sexual orientations, characters with disabilities) are welcome. At the same time, I do want to offer players the option to „opt out“ of romance. If you‘d rather play a character that does not have an interest in romantic relationships / do NOT want this to be a part of your experience during the adventure, I will mark the character as such, and ask the other participants to respect that decision.

- There will be a limit for participants: At minimum four, and at maximum seven individual players. Less than four does not make much sense for the "group adventure", and I don't think I can handle more than seven people and give everyone the same attention. Each player will be allowed to have 2 characters maximum. (Just one is fine too.)

-Lastly, to give the RP more of a „Questing Adventure“ feel to it, it will take place in a roughly „medieval-fantasy“ type of world. That means no cars, cellphones, refrigerators.
Magic is a thing that is attributed mostly to ancient pokemon that are considered „guardian deities“ for their respective region, or something that can only be performed in rituals. That means magic will NOT be available to player characters as a skill, and it is not an everyday thing.
However – the characters will be able to fight for themselves too, instead of leaving everything to the pokemon. So if you want to play an archer, a knight, or maybe a lancer, you can! Just keep in mind that your character‘s background should make sense with their choice of weapon.

So please – a reasonable level of technology, and no magic while creating your characters. All player characters are expected to be human.

if you have any questions about the setting, the RP or the rules, please don't hesitate to hit me up in the thread. I hope to see some of you as players!

A Pokémon rp where I can throw shit at the enemy to give my enslaved animal a better chance of victory? Colour me somewhat up for this if I start with a Pokémon I recognise

NeonFlow NeonFlow you are of course free to pick your "starting region", so you could just pick a generation you are familiar with :)
(I will try my hardest to force the RNGesus not to give everyone Caterpies.)

NeonFlow NeonFlow you are of course free to pick your "starting region", so you could just pick a generation you are familiar with :)
(I will try my hardest to force the RNGesus not to give everyone Caterpies.)
I’ll admit I’m not the most knowledgeable on regions of Pokémon but as a Australian I feel like I need to go Hoenn

I’ll admit I’m not the most knowledgeable on regions of Pokémon but as a Australian I feel like I need to go Hoenn

You really don't have to be, it's all good. This is an AU, and once I know there will be enough people to get started, I will open a thread with resources to help everyone out.
That will include lists with the "options" for each region, and a link to Bulbapedia so you can check what you got if you are not too familiar. And I am stoked to have someone go Hoenn, there are some amazing options from there!

I’m going to be a Pokémon version of Mad max, please get in touch if you want to play the eccentric sidekick the mad max type is obligated to team up with.

As for the Pokémon, do they act "passively" by the players observing them or are they free to make posts as the Pokémon from time to time as well when it fits the narrating flow?

As for the Pokémon, do they act "passively" by the players observing them or are they free to make posts as the Pokémon from time to time as well when it fits the narrating flow?

The players will be able to actively control their pokemon if they want to do so. You don't have to do it every post, but I don't mind you splitting your posts into a section for the trainer, and one section for the pokemon in question :)
The pokemon do not count towards your character limit either, the limit of 2 is strictly meant for human characters.

Seems interesting but I got a couple questions. Will read on this Nuzlocke thing later.

Are Pokemon limited to 4 moves like the games or do they have access to all moves they can feasibly learn (whether through leveling up, breeding, TM/HM).

Are you going to make the Pokemon that are legendaries uncatchable since they are (traditionally anime wise) the most powerful (but we all know Ash somehow defeats them in crazy anime logic) since they are seen as gods?

How will pokemon who need to be holding something to level up (like onix to steelix with metal coat) or trade going to level up?

How are we catching Pokemon? Is that by pokeballs or assuming they are a more modern form, befriending them then (basically what Ash does with every other pokemon).

Are Pokemon limited to 4 moves like the games or do they have access to all moves they can feasibly learn (whether through leveling up, breeding, TM/HM).

I would have expanded on this once we actually knew if we got the RP going or not. In short: Yes, they can learn more, but I wanted to make the moves work like spells do in a DnD setting. Which means you have a pool of spells, but you can only have a certain number of them "active" at a certain time. (Either 4 or 6 of them at a time that can be switched around, I am still not sure which option I am going with.)
Moves that can be acquired through breeding will only be allowed if it makes sense with the physical pokemon, and due to the trainers being on a journey, they will not have time to breed themselves.

Are you going to make the Pokemon that are legendaries uncatchable since they are (traditionally anime wise) the most powerful (but we all know Ash somehow defeats them in crazy anime logic) since they are seen as gods?

-Legendary Pokemon do exist in this world. However, they are „one of a kind“, are considered sacred and will not leave their native region. At no point in the RP will any player character be able to „claim“ one of those pokemon for themselves.

How will pokemon who need to be holding something to level up (like Onix to Steelix with metal coat) or trade going to level up?

That will depend on the pokemon. Those who need an item will just need to be given the item (metal coat will work in the same way as a fire stone does in the games.) I will not demand that people trade their pokemon to evolve - trade-only evolutions like Gengar will evolve after a scene in the RP that was especially emotional for both trainer and Pokemon.

How are we catching Pokemon? Is that by pokeballs or assuming they are a more modern form, befriending them then (basically what Ash does with every other pokemon).

Since we are playing in a roughly medieval world, there are no Pokeballs. That means each trainer will either have to befriend/physically capture their pokemon/bribe it with food, or do whatever needed to achieve a bond. Trainers can acquire totems in the villages - a totem is made specifically for one pokemon at a time, so the trainer will have to have the pokemon with them to get it made. Totems will allow the trainer to "store" Pokemon. But they can not be bought in bulk and used to capture wild Pokemon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back