• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Packs

Interested?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No..

• Possibly

• Total voters
well, if you mean the accent thing, I won´t it. Heck, I doubt I could even if I wanted to.

However...using vocabulary such as, for example, replacing "hands" with "paws" is something I think simply makes sense, so in that regard, I will still be taking THAT aspect of it.

Idea said:
well, if you mean the accent thing, I won´t it. Heck, I doubt I could even if I wanted to.
However...using vocabulary such as, for example, replacing "hands" with "paws" is something I think simply makes sense, so in that regard, I will still be taking THAT aspect of it.
well... it gets to a point where you can overdo it. For example: putting in unnecessarily long words to replace detail and imagination.

Idea said:
for example?
The community I once belonged to used the words "maw" "pelt" "oculine" "fae" "sensors" and "pedestals" more often than any other words. Also, there was a large emphasis on physical description, and not much on character development. This, as you could probably imagine, led to numerous flat characters. It was almost an ego trip for the writer, praising one's own character and never developing anything past an image.

Again, this is in extreme cases. Using "wolfspeak" can have benefits, but some need to be a tad more creative, in my opinion. If one can develop his or her character in a more genuine way, then I have no quarrel.

JokerValentine said:
The community I once belonged to used the words "maw" "pelt" "oculine" "fae" "sensors" and "pedestals" more often than any other words. Also, there was a large emphasis on physical description, and not much on character development. This, as you could probably imagine, led to numerous flat characters. It was almost an ego trip for the writer, praising one's own character and never developing anything past an image.
Again, this is in extreme cases. Using "wolfspeak" can have benefits, but some need to be a tad more creative, in my opinion. If one can develop his or her character in a more genuine way, then I have no quarrel.
I see. Well, this is speaking from the perspective of a non-native speaker, but I had hardly heard of those words, or them being used to describe wolf parts (with one exception-maw).

I agree, ego trips on description that lead to poor characters are wrong, however (and without wanting to turn this into too much of an argument), so is missing the character itself. If we are talking wolves here, they won´t use words like "hands", or "hair" because those are human traits. Something like "sensors", I believe would be overdoing it, but in that case, the writer has gone beyond what is actually the wolf´s point of view. Rather ironically, I´d say that person has more or less gone through the path you are suggested, and tried making things up, getting hung up on it.

In conclusion, and as I said before, I do not defend "wolfspeak" in totality, as it would make posts in general much harder to read, as well as sometimes being simply useless. However, I also think dismissing it completely is going out of the character`s POV, something that should be done in no circumstances.

Idea said:
While Wolfspeak isn't my way to roleplay, it can be a way to roleplay for some people. I just wanted to make that distinction, to make sure we weren't going on that train and the experience i was getting myself into, was something that i could enjoy and immerse myself into. Anyway, wolfspeak isn't the usage of paws for hands or something trivial like that but rather the roleplaying style that drops the usage of articles, includes a huge amount of passive voice and is using self created words and non-synonyms, resulting into sentence fragments. Additionally Wolfspeak tends to ignore connotation completely and denotation of its words to some degree. All that makes for a rather boring experience, which is denoted by many as cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idea said:
I see. Well, this is speaking from the perspective of a non-native speaker, but I had hardly heard of those words, or them being used to describe wolf parts (with one exception-maw).
I agree, ego trips on description that lead to poor characters are wrong, however (and without wanting to turn this into too much of an argument), so is missing the character itself. If we are talking wolves here, they won´t use words like "hands", or "hair" because those are human traits. Something like "sensors", I believe would be overdoing it, but in that case, the writer has gone beyond what is actually the wolf´s point of view. Rather ironically, I´d say that person has more or less gone through the path you are suggested, and tried making things up, getting hung up on it.

In conclusion, and as I said before, I do not defend "wolfspeak" in totality, as it would make posts in general much harder to read, as well as sometimes being simply useless. However, I also think dismissing it completely is going out of the character`s POV, something that should be done in no circumstances.
I see your point. I wouldn't want to have a wolf-ish character refer to itself as human. That is crossing into a whole 'nother realm in its entirety. Anyways, I pretty much agree with your opinion. I wasn't cringing at the wolfspeak in its entirety either (somethign I didn't really make clear), but a lot of the unnecessary word choice and the over-fancying style ruin a Roleplay. Don't spend all your money on the car so you can't afford the journey of a lifetime, or something like that.

Wolf speak is near unreadable and therefore pointless.

Sure use, pelt, paw and maw etc when describing physical body parts. That's just like using head, skin and face when your describing a person

The wolf speak was unreadable! I would have to ask for a complete translation! Lots of pointless words!

Stormlight said:
While Wolfspeak isn't my way to roleplay, it can be a way to roleplay for some people. I just wanted to make that distinction, to make sure we weren't going on that train and the experience i was getting myself into, was something that i could enjoy and immerse myself into. Anyway, wolfspeak isn't the usage of paws for hands or something trivial like that but rather the roleplaying style that drops the usage of articles, includes a huge amount of passive voice and is using self created words and non-synonyms, resulting into sentence fragments. Additionally Wolfspeak tends to ignore connotation completely and denotation of its words to some degree. All that makes for a rather boring experience, which is denoted by many as cringe.
That, as I hope I made clear, is something I will definitely not use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back