• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Masquerade Troupe [CLOSED]

OverconfidentMagi

Laugh Like You've Won Always
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

The Masquerade TroupeAct 03

the Invitation

Hello. If you're reading this, it must have worked. Seeing this message is more important then you might think, and was very difficult to manage. I can assure you, it's worth your consideration

You must be wondering, who am I? A random message, doesn't just come out of thin air right? A sender behind it is guaranteed. Telling you who I am, at least my real name, serves no purpose unless you accept. So for now, you may call me 'Bird'. It's the title I go by here, so that's what you may refer to me as. But who is, 'Bird'? That's a question asked quite often, but there's almost no answers. Of course I know who I am, but not many others do. But...here's what you should know.

I am a man of high standards, looking for thrill of the utmost severity. To put it simply, I'm a 'super villain'. A roamer. Or at least, those are the titles my world attaches to people such as myself. Without meaning to brag, I'm actually quite skilled in what I do. I go around the world, taking jobs that are of 'high risk, and high reward'. I've never once failed any job I've undertaken, if that means anything to you. So far in my career, I've run solo. Haven't had a need to do otherwise...till now.

Being of such skill, I haven't gone unnoticed. More and more people are looking out for me, watching for the next time I strike so they might catch me. They never will, I assure you. However, such security has made it harder to pull off my jobs...so having someone to help will be required before long. That's where you come in. If any of the things I've said thus far make little to no sense, don't be concerned. The reason why, is because this letter is coming from a different world then yours. I get that might seem...ludicrous. Impossible. Some sort of gag made for a prank...but it's not. I never lie.

In my world, I'm called a Legend. No, I don't mean it in the normal sense. It's what my species is called, because it seems like we were born from legends of old. We live alongside humans, much like yourself. The only difference, is we have powers. Super powers, as you may call it in your world. Abilities. That's what I am, and its what's allowing me to write this letter to you now.

If you see past your own disbelief, and accept my invitation...I can promise you many things. Wealth beyond what you could ever hope to acquire. You would be famous, but not necessarily in a good way. Plus, I'm certain that if you came here, you would have powers. I can't promise that last one, but if what I've heard is true...you will become a Legend. All you have to do is press on the seal of this letter, and hold it against your heart. Utter the words, 'I accept', and my powers will do the rest for you. I hope to see you soon

-Bird

Aaron reread the letter he'd first read three years ago, in another time and another world, and tears rolled down his face onto the paper. His cold glacier blue eyes reflected the orange twilight beams coming from the window. He was alone in the darkening room, but still he felt shame even as he cried. He'd been trying so hard to keep his emotions under control, constantly, for six months now. Six months since Bird had disappeared. He erased Shame and wept openly. Colors in the room ran as if done in watercolor, blending into an uncertain grey until he felt Pain stirring from deeper within. That he couldn't let out, so he covered up Sorrow for now.

"Bird, where are you? You never finished teaching me how to keep myself together. I can't do it alone."

Fear rushed to fill his mind. Aaron clutched the letter to his chest as he struggled to stay in control of himself. The light streaming in through the window split around him, spraying broken up splashes of all different colors across the walls, a prismatic murder scene that matched the chaos inside Aaron right then. "I accept," he said for the second time. Those two words had saved him once. The light faded as his body seemed to deflate. His pale grey-green eyes just looked exhausted as he set the letter down on the table and walked to the bedroom. He was tired, not physically but mentally.

He set his hand on the doorknob and for no particular reason he could have explained, turned back to look at the letter. So he just happened to see a tear in reality open up and the letter disappear into it. He stood there dumb for a long time, and once his mind was working again, he rushed to find the rest of the letters Bird had never sent out. Aaron wasn't entirely sure what he hoped to accomplish, but it was something Bird had done once, and he'd been copying the person he'd become obsessed with for so long that it just felt right. As if by doing so he was taking a single step closer to wherever Bird was.

the World

The world your characters come from is our own. The world they are pulled into is basically the same in every way, only beginning to diverge starting just over thirty years ago, when the first Legends began to appear. Legends are a human sub-species that have the ability to cause supernatural effects with their mind. Kinetics is another name for them. Until they use their power, there is no way to distinguish a Legend from a normal human. Inside and out, they appear completely human.

Legends fall into one of five classifications.

Hero used to mean anything really. Any Legend that stopped a shoplifter could claim the title of Hero. Now the title of Hero means something more official. Fifteen years ago, the US government spearheaded a bold plan to actually make use of these Legends in a more organized way, which was called the 'Cape Program'. Any Legend that wished to become a hero would undergo thorough examination, testing, and training before being assigned to a hero HQ in a city where they would work to fight crime and protect the peace until the day they retire.

Vigilante is a broad catch-all for any Legend that isn't a Hero but isn't a Villain either. Neutral Legends try to live a normal life, keeping to themselves, keeping their head down, and keeping away from the larger movements of the Heroes and Villains of the world. For the most part, they are allowed to do so and are left mostly alone so long as they remain uninvolved. Solo Heroes are the old kind of heroes, Legends that use their abilities to play hero outside of the Cape Program. These self-proclaimed heroes are closely monitored, and as soon as one oversteps the law they are arrested.

Villains are the usual low-tier criminals, just with powers now. They can be dangerous if working in groups or when directed by a super villain, but for the most part these villains are something the police can handle without calling on a Hero.

Super Villains are when things start to get serious. A villain that repeatedly commits major crimes and proves to be something the heroes can't deal with is bound to amass a reputation. No one remembers the name of the villain that shows up on the local news, but when a super villain's name is attached to a crime, everyone hears about it.

The fifth classification isn't well-known on account of it being classified and more of a sub-type of super villain.

Roamers are Legends with abilities so powerful that no single Hero stands a chance against them, and even multiple hero HQs working together would only be able to handle a single Roamer. But the reason they're called Roamers is that they like to move around. Where most super villains tend to stay in one place or region, Roamers tend to move between counties or continents, sometimes travelling all around the world. This makes tracking and predicting when and where one will make a move incredibly difficult.

There is one other odd trait specific to Roamers: they can't stand one another. Roamers never work together, and should two meet, they will likely try to kill each other. This mutual hatred seems to be almost involuntary, some mental trigger related to the extreme development of their powers perhaps. There is still much unknown about Roamers and Legends in general.

the Story

This RP is a sequel to one from years ago, where a powerful Roamer by the name of Bird pulled a handful of people from our world into his, trained them with their new kinetic abilities, and molded them into powerful super villains that he could use for his own purposes.

Three years have passed since then, and the few remaining members of that flock have indeed become strong. But perhaps not strong enough. Bird, who was supposed to be invincible, disappeared six months ago. The flock has split up, some still searching, some given up, maybe even glad to be free from the powerful villain's dark shadow. Aaron had been the closest to Bird, considering him something of his savior, going as far as shaping himself in his mentor's twisted image, and now even going so far as to send more of the same trans-dimensional invitations that Bird had used to reach out to him.

The story will follow the small group of individuals that answer the invitation. Aaron will attempt to do for them what Bird did for him by teaching them how to use their new power, how to play the role of a villain, taking on actual jobs, and figuring out what happened to Bird and the fallout from his disappearance.

All powers will be in the form of controlling something, so something-kinesis.

Rules:
Two paragraphs minimum. Even during dialogue that should be easily doable. Personally I like meaty posts. Big, juicy, medium-rare well-done posts.
Post at least once a week, and try not to keep everyone else waiting on you. If activity is high, feel free to post more often, but try not to put anyone behind.
This will be a mature RP, but remember to keep everything within site rules. No graphic sexy times.
Romance is fine, just ask the character's owner if they're okay with it. See previous rule about sexy times.
Characters don't have to get along, but their writers still should. I don't care if your characters are trying to kill each other, be civil OOC.
No controlling other people's characters, unless you have their permission to do so. But also keep in mind that every power in this world controls something, so it is very possible for that something to apply to your character. I will have some control over your characters at certain points in the story. (An easy example, Aaron's ability of pathokinesis is definitely going to be used to tell you what your character is feeling at times.) Even if you do have permission to control a character, try to leave as much control to the character owner as possible.
And anything else I forgot is implied here because I'll probably never remember to actually update the list of rules later on.

This will be a small group, so I'll probably ask for a character/writing sample to figure out group dynamics. We'll see depending on how much interest is shown.

Last edited:
This seems cool, what kind of powers do you allow. I was personally thinking of Architektonikíkinesis or architecture manipulation. Basically just controlling built constructs, but of course it should be either really powered down or very hard to use to balance it out lol

Most anything you can add a -kinesis to the end of is available. I really like your architecture idea, and don't worry too much about balance at this brainstorming stage, that'll be worked out later.

Here's a good base list.

When making a character, feel free to format however you want, and please include the following information:

• Appearance, anime style preferred, describe anything different or not shown
  • Name, real and super villain name if you have one in mind already
  • Age, 16-28
  • Personality, 1 paragraph, give me a feel of how they might act in normal and abnormal situations
  • Bio, what was their life like before receiving the invitation?
  • Strengths/Weaknesses
  • Likes/Dislikes
  • Romance, if your character is open to romance, put their preferences here, otherwise remove
  • Kinesis, this can be pretty much anything, and feel free to add what they use it for, no duplicates please
  • Weapon(s), if your character uses weapons add it here
  • Fighting Style, how does your character fight, if at all
  • Other, other

Kinesis already taken: Pathokinesis, Electrokinesis

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or via PM.

I'm interested, even though there's a lot in the dark. Maybe that's why. Waiting to see who else will come around.

There is a lot of things the characters will have to discover or be taught, I'd rather not spoil the mystery/discovery portion of the plot, which is mostly to do with powers, villains, and what could have happened to Bird, whom is supposed to be one of the strongest villains.

An invitation appears asking if you want to come to another world and become a super villain under the guidance of a man called Bird. He promises super powers if you accept. Problem is, Bird isn't around to greet the people that do accept, and things might not be exactly as advertised.

The tone is planned to be rather dark, probably end up jumping between drama/noir when focusing on characters and doing most jobs, and over-the-top action whenever villains with flashy powers get confrontational.

The Character Thread is now live!

OrangyLemon OrangyLemon Brax Brax E Eckscelsior C c6474

I have also put a poll on the character thread for if I should make an OOC thread or use Discord for OOC, so if you could put in a vote while getting a character together, it'd be appreciated.

17cacb089bf16638be8319f6362b6eb0.gif

Last edited:
C c6474
Breath-kinesis, I did not see that one coming. I look forward to seeing what he does with that.

With Haruto being Japanese, will you be acknowledging a language barrier (assuming he isn't fluent in English)? Aaron does not speak Japanese himself. Bird probably does, but *shrug*. There are ways to work around the issue, just asking if you plan on having it be there at all.

Last edited:
OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

Honestly, I'm pretty new to RP-ing, so I didn't consider the language barrier :-_-lines:. For convenience, Haruto will be fluent in English (or whatever language is used in the story).

Honestly, I'm pretty new to RP-ing, so I didn't consider the language barrier :-_-lines:. For convenience, Haruto will be fluent in English (or whatever language is used in the story).
Not a problem. As I said, there are ways to work around it, but ignoring it is also fine. And yes, the language is English. The letter was written in English, the setting the start of the story takes place in is America, a country on Earth. The worlds are mostly identical, so the languages and countries are the same.

Greetings OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi ,

I am interested in joining! Are you still accepting people?
Yup, still accepting. I'll mark this thread closed when that is no longer the case.

See the above post for a link to the character thread, and of course just message me any questions you may have.

Interested. Do you allow telekinesis? Just curious.
EDIT: would you allow a character to have both Telekinesis and Mégethoskinesis (Manipulation of size)?

Last edited:
I have no problem with a mix of kinesis, but the application should involve both parts together, not just having two separate powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back