• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

SpookySkeleton

A Life without death, is a story unfinished.
This is the page we will be using for our RP, if you are interested, follow the link to the recruiting tab.

Recruiting tab: OOC section

Character sheet: Character section

“Welcome newbies, to your new home, I am Greysonn Gilbrand, the leader of the Harbingers, I’m sure you all are very confused, so I will do my best to explain what has just transpired.” The man standing before you is a tall human with very heavy Royal armor, he stands almost defensively, as if on guard for every second.
28F896AF-FE30-48FF-9C7C-264B662C95C5.jpeg
“You have died on the field of battle, or perhaps by a betrayal or accident, however you are an exceptional warrior nonetheless. We have brought your soul here to fight in the afterlife, your abilities are much needed here in this place. We fight to quell the corruption that has taken the mortal plane.” He starts to walk away, “I will give you a moment to discuss this among yourselves, if you have any other questions or when you are ready, come see me outside of the grand hall.” He walks off, leaving you to your thoughts.

1f1960cee21de6854b57e1aa52e6f02c.jpg
The last thing Aeria remembers was the feeling of the cold blade passing through her neck and the thud against her head as it fell to the ground, separated from her body. She could hear both cheers and obscenities from the crowd as they called her things like "Devil, witch, and false prophet". She couldn't imagine what she had done to deserve this treatment, but at the same time it seemed fitting that her miserable life ended in an equally miserable fashion. Her eyes began to roll up to the sky as the darkness quickly consumed her.
Aeria welcomes the feeling of the darkness as she falls into a seemingly endless abyss. As she is slowed as she reached the ground, she sinks down to her knees, surprised to find grass bellow her. As her eye's open she runs her hands through the grass around her.
"Is this heaven?" She mumbled in confusion to herself before a voice catches her attention. As he speaks she looks up at him, her eye's never looking at his as she looks at him. She begins to feel very small as she takes in his appearance. As he finishes his spiel she mutters to herself, "No this must be hell."

1613850332139.png Gizzard soon arrived, knowing he should be dead from his encounter with the dragon. He was possibly in the afterlife now, and he was going to enjoy himself. He looked up to a tall and strange man talking to them. Gizzard didn't pay much attention as he started talking and walked under his legs to a flower behind the man where a large grasshopper was perched. Gizzard quickly snatched it up and popped it in his mouth as he returned to his spot. "Gizzard is not confused. Gizzard is in heaven!" He replied with puffing out his chest with a grin like he won a prize as he munched on the bug. The party he had traveled with thought it was cute how he talked about himself in the third person and never bothered correcting him, and so the kobold talked as such even now.

He puffed out his chest even more as the man mentioned he was exceptional, but he was soon deflated as he heard he had to fight more. Wha...? This was heaven! You were supposed to have all you wanted to eat, have grand parties and tons of fun in heaven! That's what his party told him before they went into battle with the dragon as to not be scared. "Gizzard is confused, why does Gizzard have to fight in heaven? Gizzard was told Heaven was perfect!" He inquired looking entirely perplexed as the mighty lizard stood his measly two and a half feet tall. He scratched his chin in his confusion but turned to the others. "Gizzard is Gizzard the Lizard Chaos Blizzard Wizard, but Gizzard goes by Gizzard. What are your names?" He inquired after giving his tongue twister of a name. He looked over to the pale girl and pointed his tiny staff at her. "Gizzard wants to be your friend!"

ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi (and whoever else joins the scene, also please @ me if you can so I for sure get it 😁 )

download20210206140623.pngAsla coughed and spluttered as she woke. She collapsed to hands and knees as she gasped for air like a dying fish. The last thing she could remember was the thick smoke all around her, seeping into her lungs and stinging her eyes. Tears sprung to her eyes as she remembered the trapped child and the heart-stopping sight of seeing the flaming beam coming down on top of them. Asla hoped the child had made it safely to heaven. Her fists clenched around handfuls of grass, her fingernails becoming crusted with soil as she quietly cried. Archivist, forgive me, she thought to herself. Does this mean my duty is done? Have I been called back to Him?

She looked up as Greysonn began to speak and did her best to quiet her sniffles. Her brow creased in confusion as it became apparent that this was not the work of the Archivist. Judging by this man's words, it also meant she would be afforded no rest in her afterlife. That was probably just as well; Asla would rather the opportunity to do good rather than laze around for eternity. Slowly, she stood up on shaky legs. Her armor creaked and clanked as she did so. Her gray-white eyes slid over the odd grouping of people she found herself with, landing on the small lizard who was currently speaking.

“Perhaps that means this isn’t heaven at all,” she spoke quietly, her throat feeling quite sore. Asla continued, “If it is, it’s not a heaven I’ve ever heard of.” The young woman tugged at the end of her fluffy ponytail, one of her ears twitching as she did so. Her wings also fluttered against her body, signaling her unease.

She nodded in response to Gizzard’s introduction before replying, “My name is Asla…pleased to make your acquaintance. Can I ask…what do you all think of what that man said? About corruption taking over the mortal plane? I can’t help but feel like I would have noticed if that were the case.”

ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi EldridSmith EldridSmith (and anyone else who responds after, pls ping me!)

Aeria's eyes darted around anxiously as the man walked away. The sounds of the kobold was drowned out as her mind raced. She was supposed to be dead and free of her enslavement, but her misery seemed to find no end. Her eyes snapped to the staff which was pointed at her. Her eye's narrowing as they followed it up to the one holding it. She couldn't seem to process the words that came from his mouth. One word did seem to catch her. Friend. Her eyes widened a bit as she processed the word. She couldn't even remember the word and her mind scrambled to comprehend why it seemed to catch her attention the way it did. It made her feel nostalgic for something she couldn't remember.
"Friend?" The word came from her mouth like a whisper of a child telling a secret. She remained quiet, a baffled expression on her face as she stared at the little lizard before her. She managed to bring herself to look into his eyes for a moment before dropping them at hearing someone else introduce them self. Her eyes dropping to the floor as she listened to her question. Her body visible tensed up as thoughts of everything that has happened to her flooded her mind. If there was one thing she knew; it was corruption. She took a deep breath as she prepared to speak up.
"The morals are all corrupt. I've... seen them kill and torture each other for fun," She said, her voice a bit shaky as she spoke. She took a long pause before realizing she had not introduced herself like the other's had. In a much quieter voice she added," You can call me Aeria."

EldridSmith EldridSmith galakzee galakzee

Last edited:
Axel.jpgAfter waking up from his state of unconsciousness, Axel feels an intense wave of nausea wash over him. He regains his composure a few moments later and begins to inspect his surroundings. This place is unlike anything he’s ever seen before, and Axel is completely dumbfounded. How did he get here? And why was he here?

His eyes fall on a tall human with a strong looking suit of armor standing in front of him. This human calls himself Greysonn Gilbrand and explains to Axel how he arrived to this place and what his purpose for being here is. After hearing what Greysonn has to say and taking it all in, Axel internally starts to panic. He died and is now in the Afterlife? And now he’s supposed to fight against what Greysonn called ‘The Corruption’? It's all to much and his mind is filled with sporadic thoughts. How in the world did he die in the first place? This has to be a dream or some alternate reality!

Axel desperately tries to recall what had happened before he found himself in this strange place. Unfortunately, all he can remember is that he had snuck out as per usual to practice his combat skills, and had then subsequently got caught in a rockslide which he failed to escape from. He immediately thinks of his parents and suddenly feels a large wave of guilt. He holds back tears as he realizes this never would have happened had he not snuck out all those time. He can only imagine their shock and extreme horror when they find out he’s gone missing.

At this point, Axel realizes that there are multiple people currently residing in this area, and that they had all been conversing during his sudden panic attack. Strangely, knowing that there are other people that could be struggling just as he is seems to calm his nerves slightly, and he decides to say hello to them. He walks up to the group and greets them. “Hello, my name is Axel,” He says. “I look forward to getting to know all of you.”

ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi galakzee galakzee EldridSmith EldridSmith (And to all future repliers, be sure to ping me.)

15035cc7f6ef0fdb172f80bb2d7c1086.jpg
Rush wakes with a gasp as she flies upright into a sitting position.

Her small hands immediately fly to her throat, and her fingers tremble as she touches the skin there.

...No bruises. Not a mark. In fact, Rush realizes with a start, there's not a single part of her that hurts at all, which is odd, considering... the last time she was conscious. But no, her neck is not bruised, her windpipe is open and in fact seems to be functioning quite well, there's no shreds of fabric or flesh under her claws. It's eerie, really. Uncanny.

Rush takes a deep breath and stands on trembling legs to approach the others she can see near her. Some man had woken her along with the rest and she thinks he said something, but- but- well, she can't help it if her brain is feeling a little scrambled right now.

As it is now, Rush raises a clawed hand in a shy approximation of a greeting. (Duly, she notes that her hand is smoothly furred-over, like it should be, and there's no bloody wound where it had been stabbed through to pin her against the wall before he had reached out and--)

"Ah- hello, there. I'm, uh. Ahem. My name is Rush." It takes her a few tries before her voice works properly. "So, we all died, truly? It's true? And this is the afterlife? ...My condolences to each of you in your passing."

ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi galakzee galakzee EldridSmith EldridSmith MachN MachN

1613858039041.png Gizzard looked over at the person with winged ears with concern as the coughed and sputtered, though they were soon done doing as they looked fine but confused. He had seen people like her before but never thought much about the ears, now curiosity gnawed at him, he had to ask one question before he responded to anything. "Do your ears let you fly?" He asked inquisitively as he cocked his head at them to get a better look at them. "Gizzard thinks this place isn't heaven, as Gizzard has been told Heaven is perfect." He responded as he watched her ears flutter, he was fascinated by them. "Gizzard thinks it was the evil dragon Gizzard and friends faced while Gizzard was alive." He declares feeling somewhat sad that his friends were gone, but he would hopefully see them again.

Gizzard looked back over to the pale girl who muttered friend after his statement, she was seemingly still in a daze before talking about how negative things were. He could sense she was having a lot of negative feelings right now like the rogue from his former party. He put his staff on his back and walked over to hug her leg with a smile. "You're Gizzard's friend now! Gizzard will cheer you up." He says before letting go, as to not make things awkward if she didn't like physical contact. "Gizzard will give hugs anytime." He stated as he patted her foot and turned to see the others had awoken. A man named Axel also seemed to be having a hard time with things, but he looked alright already so Gizzard didn't wander over to give him a hug.

Gizzard looked over to Rush as his eyes sparkled and he muttered "Fluffy..." However she soon spoke up about being dead. "Gizzard must be dead, as Gizzard does not see evil dragon, and Gizzard has no regrets! Gizzard died trying to save friends and country from a big evil dragon!" He declared after Rush gave out 'condolences' which he mistakenly associated with pity. "Gizzard will gladly die again for friends!" He declared proudly. "Gizzard is glad to meet Asla, Aeria, Axel, and Rush... but Gizzard will need shoulder ride to get to town. Gizzard's legs are short and Gizzard is not fast." He declared, his eyes looking between Rush, who seemed the fluffiest, and Aeria who looked like she needed a hug, but she seemed to jittery so he lifted up his arms towards Rush.
galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN lunar_moth lunar_moth

15035cc7f6ef0fdb172f80bb2d7c1086.jpg

Rush blinked down at the little wizard. For such a small thing, he had a lot to say! It reminded her of back home, in a way. The younger kittens and their endless litany of question-and-answer. Of course, that wasn't the only thing that reminded her of a kitten...

She tilted her head a bit at him. "A noble death, indeed." After a moment's hesitation, she spoke up again,

"Um... it's been a- long time, but if you need me to, I can surely help you," she said, suddenly-fluffed fur showing only the slightest hint she was embarassed. Rush reached to help him up onto her back and- yes, this was /very/ much like what she used to do with the kittens back home, she decided.

Rush spared another look at the rest of the group. It seemed everyone else was in near-equal states of shock, and she gently cleared her throat. "Might it be wise if we were to find somewhere more... comfortable, to process our situation? The man from earlier, perhaps we should seek him out. Surely he can help us ease our anxieties."

EldridSmith EldridSmith ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi galakzee galakzee MachN MachN

Aeria's eye's were still focused on the ground when she felt someone touch her. Her already tense body froze completely as fear shot through her. She was like a deer caught in head lights as she stayed still, expecting the worst which never came. Instead of being hurt the short arms partially wrapped around her slender frame. She slowly looked up to see it was Gizzard, her eyes wide as saucers. As he spoke his tone seemed to lend some semblance of warmth but the meaning of his words were lost on Aeria. She closed her eyes, trying to calm her nerves, swallowing audibly as if trying to push her fear back into her body. As he released her she opened her eye's again, watching as his hand patted her foot. Her shoulder's seemed to relax slightly on her own as her body seemed to recognize there was no threat but her mind was still clouded by traumatic memories.
As more people arrived she shrunk into herself more. As Rush suggested they move to somewhere more comfortable she gave a quiet, “yeah” before pushing herself off the ground. Her hands were clasped in front of her as she stood, waiting to follow someone to where ever they would be heading which seemed to likely be the town at the end of the path. She took a deep breath; her expression becoming more stoic as she exhaled but the anxiety still evident in her eyes as they scanned the area but never making eye contact with anyone.

download20210206140623.pngAsla watched with subdued amusement as Gizzard bounced from person to person with endless questions and enthusiasm. He seemed quite nice. So far, everyone did. Perhaps that could be one saving grace of this whole thing--she would finally be able to make some friends. In life, Asla was either too absorbed by her studies or too oblivious to make many friends. She was startled from her own thoughts by Gizzard's question to her, so she quickly swiped the drying tears from her face and sniffled. For a moment, her vision flickered and she was right back in that burning house, her hands caked with black soot. Before she could seize up in panic, she was back in the field looking at Gizzard again.

"Oh, um, no." Her ears fluttered again as a flush rose to her cheeks; she was unused to so much attention. Despite her complicated emotional state, she found herself offering a small smile in Gizzard's direction. "The big ones on my back do, though."

She remained quiet as Rush suggested they move somewhere else to continue their discussion, only offering a nod in agreement. Her smile widened slightly as she watched Rush help Gizzard up onto her shoulder. It was a cute sight among the rolling grass fields and wildflowers. If she could only forget that mere minutes ago she’d experienced death, she would feel entirely peaceful. She longed to sprawl in the grass and draw the beautiful nature to her heart’s content, but as often was the case in her life, there were more pressing matters at hand.

“I think that man, Greysonn, said we could meet him outside the grand hall,” Asla offered as she ambled closer to where Rush stood. She exhaled a small breath and stretched her aching arms. “Once everyone is ready, we can go together.”

EldridSmith EldridSmith ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi lunar_moth lunar_moth MachN MachN

1613929913715.png Gizzard grinned as he noticed Asla's flushed cheeks and he started dancing a little with glee. "You look like how Miss Poof looked at Sir Loin! She was always staring at him though." He declared in excitement as he thought of how the rogue and fighter got along before thinking back with a frown. "They would have settled down and had kids if not for the dragon..." He said feeling a bit sad now. "At least Music man had many kids!" He tried cheering himself up, but didn't do a good job of it. However his thoughts returned to Asla and how she mentioned her wings. "Oooh! Can Miss Asla take Gizzard flying later?" He asked curiously, he had flown before using wind magic but the chance to do so was rare and risky.

After talking with Asla Gizzard looked up to Aeria's eyes as she looked at him with fear before she looked away. He wanted to help her feel better but it seems hugs weren't working unfortunately. Not knowing what else to do he turned back to Rush who started speaking. Gizzard puffed with pride as Rush called his death noble death after he hugged her fluffy tail and let go, not noticing how it made Rush embarrassed. "Gizzard is thankful for your help!" He declared as she helped him up onto her shoulders. He happily sat there and turned back to the others. "Gizzard agrees we should find tin can man!" He remarked having called all the knights who donned shiny armor such, except for the one in his old party whom was called Sir Loin, as he liked eating steak a lot. Gizzard then looked to Axel who had been quiet so far with a cocked head. "You ok mister?"

galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN lunar_moth lunar_moth

Axel.jpgAxel looks around at the group standing before him, attempting to evaluate each of them. One of them is a short lizard who goes by the name Gizzard. He seems to have a lot of energy as he moves around with surprising speed and kindly greets the others. He also strangely seems to have a habit of talking in the third person. The next person calls herself Aeria. She seems very mysterious, and Axel wonders what her thoughts are currently. He concludes that it would be best to try and learn more about her in the future.

Axel then looks at the woman named Asla. She is a Seraphim as well, and yet she seems so different to him in appearance. Either way, Axel feels a bit relieved knowing that another Seraphim is part of this group, and hopes to build a close friendship with her at some point. The last person is named Rush. She looks like she was an adventurer before she had come to this place, and she seems a bit nervous to be here. But then again, everyone here is probably nervous considering what’s happened in the past few hours.

"You ok mister?" Axel snaps out of his thoughts after hearing Gizzard ask about his current state of being. Was he okay? He was probably anything but okay at the moment, seeing as he was still a bit shocked from all that's happened. Still, he doesn’t want to burden anyone with his problems. So he quickly responds, “Yes, I’m fine. I just have a lot on my mind right now.”

Rush suggests that Axel and the others seek out the man they all met before, and Axel silently agrees. He follows quietly with the others, preferring to keep to himself at this moment rather than chat with the group.

EldridSmith EldridSmith galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi lunar_moth lunar_moth

Once the group decides to head into town, the very first building you see is a grandiose building with several banners flying at the top of the cathedral-style roof.

On the other side you see Greysonn standing next to the door, looking at the group that has assembled before him. “So you have arrived, good to know that you have found your footing once again.” He steps down the stairs, greeting you once again. “Now I’m sure you have questions for me, go ahead, I can answer any questions that you might have.” He pulls a chair out from under the sign that reads “Guild Hall”, it was seemingly prepared for moments like these.

The town around you is weirdly packed, yet barren at the same time, a lot of traffic yet you seem to be able to move along the paths with relative ease. It’s a strange an ethereal presence that shakes those with weak heart. This could possibly be one of the many reasons why only warriors and determined souls are transported here.

The small group parades up to the supposedly dubbed 'Guild Hall,' and Rush eases Gizzard off her shoulder with a quiet "oof." Her hand lingers on his head for a moment, like she's about to pat it, but she catches herself and clears her throat, looking away quickly (tips of her ears burning).

A beat of silence as she takes in the surrounds -- it's, um... busy, she thinks, in a strange way. She'd always pictured death as being peaceful. Not so, er, lively.

She peers up at Greysonn through her whiskers. "Sir. With all due respect, why am I here? I thought I was meant for... eternal rest, not 'fighting corruption.' And, about that... please, do explain what that means, sir. I'm afraid none of this is anything even in the realms of consideration for me."

She glances back at the rest of her new acquaintances (allies? Companions?) then speaks up, again, "...Also, I believe I-- we have a right to know, what.... has happened in the mortal realm, since our deaths?"

how long has it been, she doesn't say. what happened to the man who killed me, who i let escape, she doesn't say.

EldridSmith EldridSmith galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN

download20210206140623.pngPoor Gizzard. From what she could deduce, he was dealing with the deaths of his companions. Personally, Asla hadn't dealt with much death in her life as a consequence of being sheltered in a temple for most of her childhood...but she did feel sympathetic towards him. In an attempt to maintain his mood, which had suddenly become cheery again, Asla smiled at him where he rested on Rush's shoulder. "You don't have to call me 'Miss Asla', just Asla is fine," she chuckled. "And sure, maybe once we find our bearings a little more we could go flying."

Asla then accompanied her new acquaintances, or perhaps coworkers would be the better word, to the nearby town. The town had an odd feel to it, one that Asla had never experienced before. Maybe the closest thing she could liken it to would be a ghost town. She could see people moving along the paths, but the town still lacked the vibrancy she had come to love and expect from small towns. Her gaze shifted to the imposing building in front of their group, likely the grand hall Greysonn had mentioned earlier. Asla steeled herself, straightening her posture and taking a deep breath as they entered.

She listened and nodded along while Rush spoke. She'd covered the main points of Asla's concern. "I would just be curious to know what or where this place is exactly. Also, um...do we have any choice in our participation or has it...already been decided?"

Asla's voice quavered towards the end of her final question, her nerves beginning to show. She felt slightly guilty for implying she might not want to participate in this war, or whatever it was, but she felt quite overwhelmed; her desire to decide her own fate had won out. Asla had no desire to spend an eternity in unwilling servitude.

EldridSmith EldridSmith ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN lunar_moth lunar_moth

Last edited:
1614149646413.png"YAYYY!!!" Gizzard declared happily throwing his arms in the air after Asla stated she would take him flying later. "Gizzard is thankful Mi- Asla!" He said as he bobbed his head cherrily as they advanced towards the town. H "Fancy but Gizzard prefers home... old home." He says recalling the small yet cozy fort the party acquired as a reward for helping the kingdom out. Though it was in ruins at first it was still theirs and they fixed it up. Gizzard made just as may messes as repairs due to his magic being unpredictable and spells not working as planned, still the finished at it was home. Now he would have to get used to this place, hopefully he would get along with the party he was currently with. He looked over to Asla and noticed she was preparing herself for the entry. "Fear not, Gizzard is here!" He declared trying to cheer her up.

As soon as the man spoke Gizzard spoke up. "Gizzard and friends have many questions for tin can man!" He declares as boisterously from Rush's shoulder as a small kobold could. He looked around to see the town which seemed lonely yet packed, which confused Gizzard. "Why is this place so weird?" He inquires before Rush deposits him on the ground, he looked up beaming at her with thanks as he noticed her ears were red as she had her hand on his head. "Gizzard likes headpats, Gizzard will not reject." He stated as she pulled her hand away. He honestly wanted some right now as he was often given them by his party, he was a little bundle of fire about it when they first met but he grew to enjoy it.

Rush and Asla then started questioning the man, which Gizzard waited his turn to do politely. "Gizzard wants to know if Gizzard has to eat or drink, and if so is food free? Gizzard also wants to know what games Gizzard can play here. Gizzard wants to know if dead people need houses, can dead people have kids, can dead people die twice, how will Gizzard be paid, does Gizzard have taxes, do dead people need to use the bathroom, and..." He said rapid fire before a thought popped into his head and he slowed down to ask one last question. "Gizzard wants to know how to find Gizzard's party again... if Gizzard can." He says rather solemnly as he looks at the knight before him.
galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN lunar_moth lunar_moth SpookySkeleton SpookySkeleton

Axel.jpg
As Axel and the others made their way through the streets, Axel witnessed his newfound teammates, specifically Asla and Gizzard, interacting with each other. They both seemed so close despite the fact that they had met only a while earlier. Before all this had begun, Axel never had many friends. It wasn’t that he didn’t want friends. But he spent a lot of his time at home and one of the few times he had ever gone outside was when he was sneaking out to train. Seeing two of his new acquaintances bonding so quickly was an interesting sight.

The team eventually entered the grand hall and met up with Greysonn again. As Rush, Asla, and Gizzard each ask their own questions, Axel thinks about why they are all here in the first place. Greysonn had previously said they were here to fight the corruption of the mortal plane, and Axel wanted to know a bit more about this corruption he was talking about. Once the others finish asking their questions, Axel speaks. “Excuse me, Mr. Greysonn,” he says, “I would like to know more about the corruption you spoke about earlier. What exactly is it's purpose? And why is it on ‘The Mortal Plane’ as you called it?”

EldridSmith EldridSmith galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi lunar_moth lunar_moth SpookySkeleton SpookySkeleton

Aeria stayed at the back of the group as they mad their way into the town. she was perplexed by the feeling of the town; it was both lively and not. She watched as the ethereal beings moved around them. As they stood before Greyson her eyes scanned the building to keep her self distracted. Out of the corner of her eye she watches Rush and Gizzard's interaction. Both their interaction, and the one between Asla and Gizzard seemed to radiate and unfamiliar energy of warmth. She couldn't understand why it seemed to pull her which made her more curious about them, especially Gizzard who seemed to be at the center of it. The other seraphim, axel, intimidated her like Greyson did; their figures being fairly imposing.
Her should rose and fell with a few deep breaths as her mind raced in a million different directions. Despite her busy mind she couldn't think of any other questions to ask. She probably wouldn't even speak up if she had. Instead one thing occurred to her; with all the talk about fight corruption maybe this was a chance to save people from people like her cult... like her. This thought filled her with a bit more resolve than she normally had. Her breathing slowing as she relaxed a bit and her expression setting into a harden stoicism.
EldridSmith EldridSmith galakzee galakzee MachN MachN lunar_moth lunar_moth SpookySkeleton SpookySkeleton

He takes a moment to assess everyone’s questions, before nodding. “Alright, let’s see if I have everything, what is this place, what has happened since our death, what is The Corruption, and do we have a choice to fight or leave.” He takes a moment and starts from the first question, he seems to talk as though these questions have been asked so many times before.

“This place is known as The Gateway Sanctuary, it is the last line of defense against any unnatural forces that threaten the mortal realm, such as The Corruption and other past enemies. It has failed in the past, but the mortal realm can bend it’s reality to accommodate certain problems, but it cannot handle much.”

He stands and starts walking to another glass building, “Follow me and I can show you glimpses of your lives after your death, but I cannot show you much. And those who do not wish to see may still follow, as I will be” He continues as he walks, “You do have a choice whether you stay or go. But we do highly encourage you to stay, we are very low on troops and more often than not are you here for a reason. If you choose to leave us, you will not go to the afterlife that you would have had without us, you will simply fade out of existence. This is your afterlife I am afraid, however you do not have to fight all of the time. You are free to do as you wish here, we have residential areas, and a tavern for drinks and food.”

Once he reaches the building he activated a crystal, opening the doorway to a large room filled with crystal mirrors. “Stand in front of a mirror and say the name of a person you wish to see, or say your name if you wish to see the things that happened directly after your death. I will cover the Corruption once everything is settled here.”

Rush glances over at the rest of the group once, before she breaks off and rushes up to a mirror lining the wall. It's much taller than her, and she feels smaller than life as she gazes up at her own reflection. Rush places a small hand on the glass in front of her.

She takes a breath and opens her mouth, then --- pauses. ...Did she have anyone left behind in the living world to even check up on? It'd been years by now since she'd left home, and it just wasn't the way of the Mako to bother spending thoughts on your kin once you'd left them behind. Birth family was a formality, nothing else -- meant to prepare you ready for the real world until you could leave and begin your own colony. Rush hadn't even spoken to a single one of her siblings in the years since it was her turn to embark on her own. When she tried to picture the face of her favourite babt sister, she realized the details had blurred into oblivion without her even noticing. What was the point of bothering to check in on someone who she wasn't even meant to waste thoughts on anymore, and who surely wouldn't even think of doing the same for her?

Rush's hand falls from the glass to curl into a fist at her side.

"Rush," she whispers to the mirror. She doesn't have a last name to give.

The clear surface begins to turn milky, like frost on a glass pane, before it flashes in a burst of light that has Rush seeing shapes behind her eyes. Then, as fast as it began, the mirror's surface clears to perfection, and then Rush is looking at the exact alley she spent her last breath in.

A harsh inhale as she watches that night play out from the opposite direction. It's him, that man she'd been tailing and who she was so, so close to capturing and taking in. In the mirror he pins Rush to the wall of the alley, one hand wrapped around the dagger sticking through her palm and into the wall, the other circling her small neck with his knobby fingers. Rush has to close her eyes at the sight. She can't bear to rewatch her last struggling gasps when the memory is still so fresh in her mind.

When she opens her eyes again, the criminal is gone, and so is Rush. Her body lays on its front on the ground's muddy surface.

It takes a full day for anyone to find her body. When they do, it's only some of the cityfolk, whom she'd never met in her life. An older woman and her grown son. Rush watches through the mirror as the son wraps her body in a sheet and digs a grave to bury it in, on some empty plot of farmland by the woods his mother directed him to. It's a shallow grave. The old woman and her son don't look back once when they're done. A good deed for a departed soul, nothing more.

The mirror turns glazed once again, and when it clears, Rush looks up only at her own trembling shape. She's silent for a beat.

Eventually she says, "I want to stay here. There's nothing left for me anywhere else." And if her voice wobbles a bit by the end, she refuses to acknowledge it.

SpookySkeleton SpookySkeleton EldridSmith EldridSmith ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi galakzee galakzee MachN MachN

download20210206140623.pngAsla followed Greysonn towards the glass building, some trepidation building in her heart. She listened as he answered her question. This is really it, then. It seemed almost a cruel joke that, after dedicating her life to the Archivist, she had been cheated out of the afterlife she'd been promised. What would it be like to...fade from existence? It almost sounded scarier than death itself. Suddenly, becoming a Harbinger was starting to sound like a better and better option.

She gazed around the hall of mirrors with a small frown on her face. Would seeing the aftermath of her death bring any peace? Asla heard the wobble in Rush's voice as she turned away from her mirror, and the seraphim's mind was made up. Because, really, there wasn't much left in the living world for Asla, either. No parents or blood relatives to speak of, nor close friends. Though, maybe there was one person she'd like to check on.

As she stepped up to another mirror, Asla murmured, "Dalbeck."

At once, the mirror's reflection warped and twisted, and Asla had to look away as she felt the unpleasant sensation of vertigo. When she looked back, she saw her old friend and mentor. Dalbeck was an elderly human with stooped posture and a long, white beard. He was always an odd one out at the temple, being one of the few human acolytes of the Archivist. But he had been there from the beginning for Asla, since she was brought to the temple as a young orphan. He nurtured her intellect and curiosity, held her when she cried, and celebrated her victories. Truly, Dalbeck was like a surrogate father to Asla.

Dalbeck wept at the news of Asla's death. Asla felt tears spring to her own eyes at the sight. Despite his age, Dalbeck insisted on being the one to orchestrate Asla's funeral. He ensured that Asla received the traditional rites of a holy warrior of the Archivist, and even delivered a eulogy for her. Dalbeck's heartbreak was plain to see, and Asla was sincerely touched at his efforts on her behalf. If only he knew what actually happened to me.

Time fast forwarded about a week or so. Dalbeck was hunched over at his desk, candle nearly burnt out as he worked late into the night. Finally, he fell asleep on top of his manuscripts. Asla smiled at the familiar sight; she would often be tasked with waking Dalbeck up from a similar position. This time, however, she could tell something was different. He was unnaturally still. Her tears finally started to fall as she realized Dalbeck had passed away in his sleep. A peaceful end for a peaceful man.

Asla looked to the ceiling and muttered a quick prayer of thanks to the Archivist. She would never get to share an afterlife with Dalbeck, but she knew he was at home in the Archivist's kingdom. Her heart felt heavy, but light at the same time. She sniffled and wiped at her eyes as she turned back to face the group, doing her best to smile. "That's all I needed to know."

lunar_moth lunar_moth SpookySkeleton SpookySkeleton ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN EldridSmith EldridSmith

1615083740475.png Gizzard frowned as most of his questions went unanswered and tin can man just focused on a few main ones everyone had. Fine he could wait and ask them again. Gizzard followed the man as he prattled off about things he wasn't overly interested in before he heard that this was their afterlife or they faded. Gizzard lowered his head in sorrow as he would never see his party again, he missed their antics already, he missed their headpats, he missed the dwarf's alcohol fueled humor and music, he missed it all, even some of their downsides like how the dwarf bard almost always left the town with at least one female laden with their child (which they would find out about later). He flopped his butt onto the ground like a child as the others went up and he processed things.

When he finished processed Gizzard reluctantly headed to the mirror once the others were done. "Gizzard wishes to see Gizzard's party." He declared, wanting to know what became of his friends. A picture of the three in Elysium waiting at the portal for him made his tiny heart shatter as he wasn't able to join them. The rogue and knight were holding hands and finally together, and the dwarf was drinking a barrel of ale through a giant straw while he sat top the barrel. They soon left after some time, but they returned once each day in the vision.

"Why? Why did you take Gizzard from friends? Why..." He squeaked sorrowfully before curling into a ball to try and calm down. "Tin can man owes answers, how can Gizzard get to Elysium! ALso Gizzard wants questions answered tin can missed before (The questions: Do dead people have to eat and drink? Gizzard also wants to know what games Gizzard can play here. Gizzard wants to know if dead people can have kids, can dead people die twice, how are dead people paid, do dead people have taxes, and do dead people need to use the bathroom)" Gizzard declared to the giant man as he rolled over to Asla and Rush before popping up and clinging to their legs as tears streamed down his face.

galakzee galakzee ArchAngelLexi ArchAngelLexi MachN MachN lunar_moth lunar_moth SpookySkeleton SpookySkeleton

Aeria listened as each question was answered. When he said they'd just disappear she flinched a bit, the idea disturbing her more than she thought it would. She had awaited her death for so long but some how the prospect of just disappearing hit her different. She hadn't expected a good afterlife but she was hoping for a quiet one, this was neither.
She glanced around at the others who seemed to be apprehensive till Rush hurried over to one of the mirrors first. Asla and Gizzard soon doing the same. Taking a moment of pause she moved over to one of the mirrors unsure of what she should do. She stared into her reflection as she debated whether to try to see anything at all. This was the first time she really got to look at herself, she felt as if the person she saw in the mirror was a stranger. They looked so sad, she wished she knew how to help them. She closed her eyes and turned away from the mirror, saying nothing. She wasn't sure why but she felt compelled to leave that person and their future behind.
Her eyes fluttered open, falling on the now crying Gizzard; just like her reflection she wished she knew how to help him. From there she looked up at Rush and Asla, then watching to see what Axel would do. Finally she looked back at Greysonn before speaking up as well. "I'm staying," she stated, her voice clear and unwavering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back