• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The End: Chapter 1 "Z-day"

"Of course they are. With a big tough guy like you walking around, they probably all ran off." He smiled and made sure that he wasn't slipping out of his arms as they walked onward towards the truck. "You look absolutely exhausted, buddy... I think you need to have a sleep once we get in the truck. You've done well today, so you deserve a good rest. It's going to be a long road trip, so you'll have all the time in the world to sleep. I'll put one of my CD's on, too. Sound good?" He asked. The truck was within view now, but it was still a fair distance away. Darren's eyes weren't exactly fantastic, so he couldn't tell if Rose was there or not. (@TheMoonRose)

Alex nodded and yawned. He slowly drifted off into sleep. Rose got out of the truck and looked around for them. She smiled when she saw them in the distance. She walked over"What took you guys so long?"She asked,

"Shhh..." He said gently, smiling as he nodded sideways towards Alex's head. "The little guy's sleeping. He's exhausted." He explained, and then shrugged the bolt action rifle off of his shoulder and handed it to her. "That's for you." He smiled.

He walked forward, making a move off towards the truck with Alex sleeping soundly in his arms.

"We ran into some trouble at the clothes store. Had some of those... Things... Come out of nowhere. I took care of them, and Alex was safe and sound." He gave a half smile as he turned his head to look at her. He still remembered her comment from the food store. "I told you I could take care of him, didn't I?" He said in a rather friendly tone.

Rose smiled"That you did"She said and looked at the gun. She strapped it on herself and then helped Darren put Alex in the truck"Ready to go?"She asked."I saw on a map this abandoned ranch we can stay at for a couple of days, just to search for others and to rest up."

Once he climbed up he set Alex down, and then just let him slump against his side. He carefully made sure he was all buckled up and then buckled himself up as well.

"I don't know about searching for others, but we could definitely use a place to stay for a while. We got some sleeping bags, so we should be all good if there ain't no beds." He said, and then looked down at Alex and smiled for a moment as he started up the engine.

"How far is it from here?" He asked.

"A few miles out of town"She said,looking at the map. She smiled when she saw Alex"Would you believe me if i told you Alex and I fought everyday before this?"She asked

"I wouldn't believe you if you said Alex did any fighting at all." He chuckled a little as he took one hand away from the wheel and gently ruffled Alex's hair. "He's such a sweet kid. Never came across as someone who would be a rascal with his sister, to be honest." He smiled and shrugged a little. A few miles out of town would be fine for them, now that he thought of it. He had enough fuel, and he needed to rest as well.

"Are you kidding me? He was a twerp to me and our sister, Meg. He would mock us, make up stuff that we did, and say stuff to get us in trouble!"She told him with a soft sigh.

"All kids are like that, Rose, especially boys..." He chuckled. "My brother was exactly the same, trust me. Well. The youngest one was, I mean... He got the rest of us in shit almost every day." He smiled a little.

God, thinking back to his childhood made him think of his dad, and that was a painful memory.

"This one here, though?" He nodded down at Alex. "He's a good kid at heart, I assure you." He smiled a little.

(Last post for tonight. Goodnight!)

(Night!)

Rose rolled her eyes."He mocked me everyday! Whenever i talked he would start making noises just to interrupt me!"She told him, laughing. She sighed softly as she relaxed.

North Fair Oaks

Garfield Elementary School

California

Alex couldn't help it but smile at what she was seeing, after all those negative thinking and the never ending dark possibilities on what might be George's fate, he fine. In fact right now he's more than fine. The tears on the boy's face, Alexandra can tell that a few minutes ago it was from fear, fear of not knowing what might happen to him, fear of not understanding and not knowing what he hell was going on. But now he was crying because he was happy, probably so happy to see his older brother. Without even seeing James' face, she made a bet with herself that he was probably crying too.

"He looks like you." Alex whispered as she watched the little boy, he did look a lot like his older brother. They could be father and son if she didn't know.

"As much I hate to ruin the reunion...Umm I think we better go."

"Yeah, I'm in agreement on that." He smiled a little and sniffled as he ruffled George's hair. He did his best to look at his face, but George kept pressing his head against James' chest. "Come on, buddy... You wanna' go home, maybe?" He asked, George was silent for a long while but then he gave a sniffle and a little nod.

"Yeah..." He whimpered. James smiled and kissed the top of his head and slowly rose up.

"This here's Alexandra... You can call her Alex, if it's easier." He smiled. "I need you to stay with her while we get out of here, okay? I'll lead the way, but you'll be safer with her." He explained, and then took a deep breath. George shyly looked up at her and wiped away some more tears, but then gave a sheepish little nod.

"Okay... Hi, Alex..." He smiled ever so gently and then hesitantly stepped away from James to stand beside her, as James had requested.

"Right, are you guys ready?" James asked. (@RoleplayChiQ)

--

"I'll believe it when I see it." Darren said with a smirk. "We ain't gonna' be on the road long, but you're free to catch up on a bit of shuteye while we're on the road, if you want to." He said. "We've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow." He took a long deep breath and slumped back down in his chair. The toughest part of tomorrow was going to be telling Alex the bad news. (@TheMoonRose)

North Fair Oaks

California

"Hi." Alexandra said with a cheerful smile as the little boy stood next to him, she gave him a pat on the head an rested her hands on his tiny shoulders to make him feel secure. The knife on her other hand, her fingers tight around the black handle. Alex gave James a reassuring nod before glancing down at George, for sure the little boy was also ready.

The three of them walked out with James leading the way, George on the middle, and Alex behind making sure it was clear at the back.

The eerie moans of the infected rang from outside and into the school walls, it was annoying and insanely scary to hear.

Alex still wasn't sure what the hell was going on, but she was hopeful that they'll get answers soon. "Let's do this."

"Yeah, let's do it." He said, and then pushed open the main door of the school. When they got outside, the place was mostly swarmed with the undead now, but they had a window. They could make a run for it. He looked at Alex and George and then took a deep breath, they were going to need to run through this, it was their only option. He pulled out his car keys so that they were ready to unlock the door.

"Pick George up... We need to run for it." He said. (@RoleplayChiQ)

Alexandra did quickly as she was asked and picked George up. Her heart beating wildly in her chest as she looked around at the numbers of this things. How could they have doubled up in a mere instant only after a few minutes? Then she remembered maybe some of the fallen bodies earlier came back as those, after all that is what she saw. "1....2....3!"

On the count of three they both ran towards the car, George on Alex's arm. "Hurry! Open it!" She yelled at him and by now, all of the infected's attention were on three of them. "They're all coming this way!"

"I've got it, don't worry!" He said, hitting a button on the key to unlock the door. He quickly opened up the back door and near enough shoved the two of them into the back, slamming the door shut. He ran to the driver's door after that and hopped inside, quickly slamming it shut and narrowly missing the body of a walking dead man that had come dangerously close to getting him. Soon enough, their were half a dozen against the car, clawing at the window and trying to get in.

George instantly started crying and hugged Alex tight, burying his face in her side.

"Jesus Christ. Hang on!" James said as he slammed the engine on, taking a deep breath. (@RoleplayChiQ)

Fort Smith, Arkansas.

1954, Evening.

Staff Sergeant Gibbs Home Residence

Riverfront Dr. 72904

The sun was just starting to turn a warm peach shade when the first real signs of trouble began to arise. Cremora had made herself a pot of jasmine tea and given it a dash of fresh lemon and honey for the extra kick she needed. She hadn't slept well the previous night, tossing and turning to the sounds of machinegun fire and screams in another language. Truth be told, screams translated to much the same thing in any language, but there was something about the foreign tongue that changed it in her dreams.

She shook the memory of the dream from her thoughts, focusing on her tea. She took a sip knowing it would be too hot, but savored the burn as it went down. It was one of the small pleasures of being alive- to feel pain and absorb the relief which came after it subsided. She looked at the rim of her mundane, unpainted coffee mug and sighed absently. This was much the same as every other day off she had, where she couldn't even go volunteer. She had been content to simply curl up in her gray upholstered LoveSac knockoff, rereading
Blaze by Stephen King for the third time.

It was on page 221 when she had a momentary lapse in her story world, hearing faint sounds of car horns being smashed and sirens wailing. From her small one bedroom house she thought she could even hear screams amidst the clamor, but the birds near her often made similar noises. She hoped it was just them. Setting her book aside and putting on her combat boots, she strode out onto her lawn to see what exactly could be causing so much noise. What she saw at the base of the hill was almost as bad as her time in Iraq.

Cremora watched people flee a four-car pile-up at the junction of Riverfront Dr and Williams Ln, the centermost vehicle spitting angry black flames towards its upside-down neighbor. The 255 was never busy enough to have accidents, let alone this bad of one, so what had driven the drivers to wreck so horrendously? Stuck staring at the collision with vehement indecision, Cremora gripped her elbows through the over-large Army sweatshirt she'd been wearing. It had been cold in her house, but it was summer outside and even being out for more than a minute in such things she would begin to sweat.

The sweat felt like ice down her back, holding her in place as she vacantly observed the chaos below. People- more people than could be in the accident- poured out from behind the trees next to the intersection, screaming and running down the highway.
What could they be running from, she wondered. Cremora snapped back to reality when a crowd started to surge towards her property, bloodsplattered and screeching. "Private property," she stuttered at first, stepping back towards her house.

"This is private property!" she repeated, louder. Backing away quickly she returned to her house, slamming the door closed and locking it tight. She bolted for the nightstand next to her beanbag chair, ripping the drawer open to grab the pistol she'd kept clean every day since being returned to the states. The historical relic Spreewerke Walther P.38 was in mint condition and had two magazines which had been preloaded. The box of ammunition lay next to it, but only 13 rounds remained in the box.

Cremora eyes the container for a moment, then dismissed it. She didn't think she'd have a need to reload, and if she did, she wouldn't have the time. Pocketing the first magazine in her breast pocket, Cremora slid the second one into the hilt of the handgun and held it at the ready, listening to the crowd draw closer. Her windows were barred and the curtains were drawn, a tradition she kept at religiously due to being peeped on once by a niggardly neighbor months ago, but still she felt uneasy.

The bellows and angry noises grew louder, until her windows shook in their settings, then died down as the herd of people moved towards the back of her property. She remained still in her living room, lungs frozen as she watched the last bit of orange light fade from her windows and change to the cool blue-black of night. When the sounds of people had nearly died entirely, she moved towards the front door and peeked out, immediately horrified by the gore on her doorstep.

A woman and her young girl had been crushed by heavy footfalls, then strewn about piece by piece, viscera spilling out from their middles. The accident down the hill had turned into a roaring blaze, but there were no screams now. Bereft of her better judgement, Cremora crept out of her home and checked the bodies for ID and vitals, already knowing their deaths. She had heard miracle stories about people surviving injuries like this, those rare and truly miraculous situations, but this wasn't one.

As she pulled away her hand from the neck of the mother, her body stirred. The eyes of the corpse lolled and spun wildly, teeth snapping, hands grabbing. Mortified but hopeful of the aforementioned miracle, Cremora grabbed onto the woman's hand and held tightly. "Don't worry, ma'am. Help is on the way," she told the injured woman softly, trying to ignore the increasing pressure she was putting on her hand. "Ow!" she finally exclaimed, pulling at her hand as the lady tried to yank her arm to her mouth.

A guttural moan fell out of the mother's mouth, a wad of necrotic phlegm spilling from her lips. Cremora ripped her hand away, standing up and keeping her distance. The child was starting to rouse now too, dragging herself across the pavement towards her. "H-help will be on the way," she reassured, more for her own sanity than theirs. "Just stay there. I'll go get some water." Half running, half walking, she fled back into her house and latched all three locks on her door.

Panic stricken she paced the room, running through all the basic training she could remember. Nothing in her training told her about people living through being torn in half or trying to bite after death or... She started to breathe very quickly, the air becoming heavy in her lungs. '
Gotta calm down, gotta calm down,' she chanted to herself, flopping into her beanbag, ignoring the scratching and thudding on her door. She stuck her head between her knees and counted between breaths, steadying herself with numbers.

Numbers made it easier.

Finally- when the thudding stopped- she felt the calm return to her. She had two pistols, plenty of food, and a house which could take a decent beating from two small half-people. Whatever had happened to them, they couldn't get her unless she opened the door. She stood up, flicked on one of the hallway lights and found it still working, then checked the water by flushing the toilet a few times. She was still connected to the two main systems for now, which meant what might be happening could just be a fluke.

Cremora remained hopeful of that fact and settled back into her beanbag, mentally checking and rechecking her house and its locked doors. "They can't get me, I won't help them," she declared to herself. "They tried to bite me."

Fort Smith

Arkansas

June 14th, 8:00PM

"How are you boys feeling now?" He asked softly as he sat down on the edge of the bed and looked over them both. In the last few hours they'd been in and out of the bathroom, emptying their stomachs and/or their bowels continuously of all of their contents. What was this? Food poisoning? It must have been. That's all it could have been. They were fine right up until they ate those chili dogs, so it must have been them. The meat must have been bad, that's all that could have happened. Michael honestly wanted to sue, but...

After what happened at the mall, asking for compensation would seem like a joke.

"We still feel bad, daddy..." Isaac whimpered, Michael sighed and walked around to his side of the bed and sat down beside him, dropping an arm around his shoulders. Chandler was quick to shuffle up to him and worm his way under Michael's arm, too. Michael had heard a lot of shit going on outside. A lot. He didn't want the boys to be in danger, so he made sure all of the curtains were closed and all of the doors were locked. At one point, the boys asked for the window to be opened up, but Michael refused and put a fan on for them instead. It wasn't fresh air, but it kept them cool like they wanted.

"Aw... So you're tellin' me that my little soldiers still aren't doing good?" He asked. He only said that to hopefully get a little bit of a smile out of them. He'd gotten them changed into their PJ's, but they still didn't look well at all. They looked pale and drowsy, and they probably were. Dehydration had probably already set in, too. They'd lost a lot of bodily fluids, and he knew that he'd have to make a tough call if things got any worse. He didn't have anything in the house that could treat dehydration.

"Nuh-huh, daddy..." Isaac said again, and then weakly hugged him. Michael sighed and then bowed over and kissed the top of Isaac's head.

"If you don't get any better, I'll go out and find you some medicine, okay?" He smiled a little and then rubbed Isaac's back, and then ruffled Chandler's hair. He wondered what the night would bring.

North Fair Oaks

California

The first thing Alexandra did was to close her eyes as she tightened her hug around the little boy, George burying his face on her chest, Alex hiding her face on the boy's little head. The sound of their nails scrapping against the window sends chill down her spine, its making the hair at the back of her neck raise.

But the moment James stepped on the gas pedal, the engine went roaring and in no time ran through the road as fast as it can possibly go leaving all of the infected behind. Alex took a peek at the side mirror as they went on.

"Their still following." She whispered softly but relieved knowing not even the slightest bit they can catch up now. But as it appears those things doesn't seem to understand anything at all. Will they ever stop? Did they just lead all those hoard of the infected somewhere?

"Hey..." Alex ran her hands through the boys hair. "Its all okay now."

With a glance at James, she gave him a thankful smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
All they literally did was circle around the school and then turn up a road. They went straight ahead, and found themselves travelling up Eighth Street. The undead were thankfully mostly gone from this area, but there were still the odd few bodies lying around. The main thing was that they were safe, George was safe, Alex was safe. That was what was important in James' mind - right now, they were all that mattered. He'd die if it meant keeping George with someone he could trust. Seeing as Alex had proved herself trustworthy, there was no reason why he could begin to accept her as family, too.

They pulled into a nice little two-story house on Eighth Street. It was going to be easy to set up defenses here, too.

f51b7dff43.jpg

"Here we are. Home sweet home." He smiled. "Alex... Take George inside. I'll block off the driveway." He said. (@RoleplayChiQ)

She held George's hand as they walked inside the two-story house, the house somehow reminding Alex of that windows wallpaper she once saw on her father's laptop. That little thought placed a smile on her lips as she opened the door and led the little boy in. She was glad the house was surrounded by fences and growing plants, this things could easily hide them and could probably save them from their own death.

She checked the entire house in case one of those managed to get in, but figuring no doors were opened or windows were shattered she was positive no one infiltrated. Everything in place and untouched. "Hey George." Alexandra knelt down to face the little boy. "Stay here okay? I'm gonna go help your brother try to make sure were safe...And try not to make so much noise okay?" She said with a cheerful smile at the boy, in response he nodded and ran towards the kitchen. Bet the boy's hungry.

Outside she saw James doing his thing with blocking the drive way. Alex looked around outside the gate, a sigh of relief escapes her as she saw not even one of the infected were anywhere near. "Hey." She stood behind him and crossed her arms over her chest, her knife tucked in her back. "I don't know what the hell is going on but we sure as hell need answers."

Rose nodded and sighed. She looked out the window. She smiled softly as she watched the scenery pass by. She wondered how much longer it would take to get to their temporary home.

Hours after seeing the news report, Haynes sat in the hallway of his home, which was barricaded with a mattress.Waverly was laid back with Winter asleep on her chest. "We can't keep waiting for mom Waves. She hasn't answered the phone for hours, we have to get out of here before things get worse." Haynes said rubbing his hand through his hair. "We can't just leave Mom, Kyle and dad behind Haynes." Waverly responded quietly. Haynes stood from his spot, and began moving the mattress,

"Look, we'll grab our bags and stop in town. We can look for mom there."

"But what if we dont find them?"

"We will. Wake up Winter."

At that, Waverly knew she lost the fight. She was scared of whatever was out there, and she wanted her mom. Haynes had already made them pack necessities, such as a change of clothing, water, food and etc. Of course, they had already loaded his car with extra supplies that would not have fit in their backpacks. So far, they were keeping what was happening a secret from Winter, they had told her there was just a big storm, and all Winter's tiny backpack held was clothes, and her favorite teddy. Waverly stood slowly picking up Winter, and followed her brother out. They did one last run through of the house to check for anything they may have needed, and Haynes grabbed his pocket knife and taser off his desk. Waverly, unsure of what kind of weapon she needed, simply grabbed a butter knife.

When the three drove into town, there was already chaos on the streets. People were scared out of their minds, and running around with fully loaded guns. Several store windows had been knocked out, fear had already taken over. Haynes did not stop for anything, not even the masked people that approached with guns. "Haynes what is happening?" Waverly said panicking. Haynes didn't have time to respond before a car skidded past a stop sign and into a stone Statue. "We can't look for mom, we have to get out of here." he said as he saw a sickly man crawl out of the car.

James was blocking up the driveway with the car as they ran into the house, but by the time that Alex had come back out of the house, he was done, and now the place was perfectly blocked off and nothing was getting through, which was always a good sign. His mother's car wasn't here, so he was concerned about that, but there wasn't exactly much he could do to make her come home. He saw it in two ways:

She was either coming home, or she wasn't.

".. I don't know, Alex." He sighed as he turned to face her. ".. We'll leave the radio on, listen out for any announcements..." He took a deep breath and rubbed the back of his head. "Other than that, I'm clueless... Is George alright?" He asked. Even though his brother was home safe and sound, he was still worried about him. He was their responsibility now. (@TheMoonRose)

--

After another near half an hour, they actually arrived at the old ranch. It was beaten up, abandoned, and had holes in the roof, but thankfully they were in Texas. The rain wasn't going to do much, seeing as there wasn't any. Not for the most part, at least. He sighed and reached over, gently patting Rose's side.

"Rose... Get up, we're here..." He looked down at his watch. Time was ticking on, for sure. ".. One of us should check the place out, the other should wait with Alex... No need to wake him up. He's exhausted." He sighed. "I'm pretty tired myself... I'm surprised I'm even still awake. You want to check the ranch out? I've got a machete if you go in... Might want to do things quietly. If you don't want to, I will." He said. (@TheMoonRose)

"Yeah...Yeah he's fine. Probably hungry, I should cook something..." Alexandra can tell just how frustrated and worried James is, probably even more than her. "You're kitchen's full, I think we'll be settle for a few more days till those ran out." She said softly before taking a deep breath, she felt out of words. What else is she even suppose to say? What else can she probably say to make anyone feel better at a time like this? Hell even she can't make herself feel better.

"Come on." She said before starting to walk inside the house. "Your place is lovely by the way... I saw a woman on a picture with you and George. Where is she?" She asked hesitantly before realizing she probably shouldn't have asked. The change in his expression were more than enough to answer her question.

"Ooh, ummm nevermind."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back