• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Deadlands

The dog looked quite excited to having been given attention; so much so that it barked once - a sharp, loud sound - when Dynis did not continue to play. Thankfully, it seemed the drunken woman had fallen asleep. The coast was clear but now Dynis had some baggage; the dog did not seem to want to leave her alone.

- Throw the pebble and run
- Let it come with you
- Something else

If she threw the pebble and ran she would certainly compromise her location either by running into someone without paying close attention or the dog would follow her scent and lead anyone evem mildly interested in it a direct route to her. So with an annoyed sigh, she decided to shush the dog and motion it to follow as she continued onward.

The dog followed her closely, occasionally nosing at her ankle for attention, regardless of whether or not she gave it any more. It did not take long for her to reach the front of the medical station's tent. Inside there were several cots, two of with were occupied by sleeping bodies, and a slew of first aid supplies like bandages and poultices ripe for the taking.

Upon setting the candle out, the dog shoved into her space to sniff at it. It sneezed, apparently not liking the scent, and stepped back several steps. At least she had some breathing room, now. Though the peace would not last long: Just as Wendel had warned, a likely patrol sounded outside the tent. Two voices, loud and laughing and getting closer. Dynis did not know if they were going to enter the tent, but if they did, they would surely see her.

- Pretend to be a sleeping patient
- Light the candle and run
- Optional: Take supplies

Her whole body wanted to run, but she forced herself not to. Stealth, that's what they were doing today. She looked around for a cot to lie onto.

As she slid into a cot, the dog walked around to the side to stare up at her. It whined, put its two front paws on the side, and sniffed at her before dropping back down to the ground, where it hovered by the cot for a moment. Then, finally, it seemed to grow bored; the creature's ears perked as the patrol got closer and it ran out of the tent, likely going to find a new playmate. But would not get that chance, because just as the patrol reached the lip of the tent, a gong sounded in the distance. The people in the distance stirred with groans but otherwise didn't move. Dynis could hear not only the patrol now, but a flurry of voices coming from the tents around them.

"Intruder!"

Outside was mayhem, but nobody came inside the medical tent, so it wasn't her cover that had been blown. Peering through the gap of the entrance from where she lay, she could see people running towards the far side of camp, though that could mean any of her three teammates were the ones under spotlight. Dynis could light the candle and run, or wait things out and hope nobody came into the medical station.

- Light the candle and run
- Stay hidden
- Optional: Steal supplies

Since the mayhem ensued outside Dynis found it a perfect diversion to get some potions stuffed into her pack. But she wanted to get to her team mates quickly, so as soon as she got a couple of vials inside, she would light her candle and run in the direction of the commotion, hoping not to attract too much attention.

Dynis managed to stuff several roles of bandages into her pack, alongside some stitch and thread that could be used for more dire injuries, should she learn how to use them. Perhaps Helen knew; she seemed to know first aid despite her magic, having used a tourniquet on Manir before. She tossed in three small poultice jars, all with different labels, before running outside. Nobody seemed to notice her in the chaos.

At least, not at first.

Someone grabbed Dynis' pack and yanked her backwards, out of the moving crowd of people, before throwing an arm around her in a chokehold. "Pretty things don't belong here," it was a woman's voice, accent thick. The arm around Dynis' neck began to tighten.

- Scream
- Plead
- Try to attack
- Play unconscious

Dynis's first instinct was to go limp and pretend to be unconscious. Perhaps the attacker would let her go and then she's have enough time to whip out the sword and defend herself.

"Pretty and smart," she hummed, breath hot against Dynis' ear. Her arm loosened just a bit around Dynis' throat, but then she felt the tip of a blade at her back. The woman began pulling her in the opposite direction she wanted to go. "So how did ya end up-" The sound of voices cut her off and, from around the corner, several bodies appeared. "Shite."

With so many people surrounding her, Dynis hadn't hope of getting free unless someone came to her aid. Unfortunately, that didn't happen as she was taken through the streets and around the back of the main sleeping quarters Wendel had been tasked of poisoning. Two men opened a cellar door in the ground and the woman pushed her in. They shackled her to the opposing wall with little care, it seemed, for comfort; the shackles were quite tight. Then the door closed, leaving Dynis in darkness. Outside, she could hear murmurs and mention of poison.

Dynis sat in the cellar, empty save for a few dusty barrels of wine, for at least ten minutes. Then the door reopened and someone fell through, spitting and cursing. "Son of a-," it was Wendel, "I'll kill you!" He scrambled to his feet only to falter, a blade at his neck. He swallowed as they chained him and left.

And thus, there were two.

Wendel yanked at the chains experimentally, scowling all the while. He looked at Dynis, his silhouette hardly visible in the dark. "I'm guessing you didn't use the potion." And he'd be right; Dynis hardly had time to do anything when the woman jumped her, much less reach into her pack to pop a potion. He groaned loudly, slumping against the wall. "Dammit."

The archer clearly seemed upset. Though, they were chained in the cellar of a murderous bandit camp. Not many people would be happy about that.

- Console him
- Yell at him
- Stay silent
- Try to find a way out
- Something else

Last edited:
Dynis did not get to say anything, protest or struggle and the manacles were already on her wrists. She would have been lying if she said that she wasn't glad to see someone else down with her.

"I've been chained twice in the span of two days." She said, her tone flat, too tired to be frustrated. "What are the odds of that happening?" It was a rhetoric question and she shook her head, not expecting an answer. "You alright?" She asked the man. "Injured?"

"Well, I couldn't exactly trust you weren't some bloodthirsty bandit just down on your luck," Wendel said. "Hence the riddle." He gestured to the walls around them. "Keep enough tabs on these bastards and you pick up their lingo, little code words." Rubbing his wrists, he shook his head. "Not badly. Just a few bruises. You?"

Aside from a little soreness around her neck, Dynis had not incurred any wounds. At least there was that.

- Answer
- Chat about something else

"No, I'm okay." She answered. "What happened? Who triggered the alarm?" Now that the whole situation sunk in, she was starting to worry about the others.

Wendel shrugged. "I've no idea. Maybe the others? I was looking for the chieftan's daughter before lighting the candle, but I couldn't find her," he said. Looked away, mouth twisted in a grimace. "My plan is ruined. She's going to have my head for this. Likely both of us, but she especially doesn't like me." He let out a long sigh, the sound closer to an irritated groan. Rolled his gaze over to Dynis, eyes apologetic. "Sorry I dragged you into this."

- Blame him
- Accept apology
- Discuss an escape plan
- Something else

"It's not like I didn't go willingly." Dynis sighed. "We'll get out." She said, more confidently than she felt, looking around for something to use. She hoped she'll see her pack in the cellar, or her staff at least. But perhaps it was too much to hope for.

6cRRUs1.png

The door opened and in walked a fair-skinned woman with light blonde hair. Two swords strapped to her back, similar to Manir, but of different shape. She was short, slim, and otherwise dainty but had an air about her that denoted a certain toughness. Perhaps it was her freshly split lip or the slices that cut across her brow and nose. Or maybe it was the thick, lavender tattoos that took up a majority of her chest and at least half of her heart-shaped face.

Regardless, she did not look pleased. Neither did Wendel.

“Daria!” He pulled against his chains as though to somehow break them, anger crackling his voice. “You-”

“Ah, gods,” the woman he called Daria rolled her eyes. “It’s no wonder ya got caught, ya’ve been following this feckin’ moron around.”

Wendel scowled. “Say that again, you-”

“Or what? Ya’re not in the best spot to be testin’ me.”

“Go to hell.”

“Already there, thanks much.” Daria looked Dynis up and down, then, arms crossed. “Pretty thing. I hope ya’ve a better mind than him, because I’ve a bargain to make.”

- Bargain
- Refuse
- Ask who she is
- Ask about Manir and Helen
- Ask something else

Dynis raised a curious eyebrow at the exchange between the two. "Chief's daughter, I presume?" She asked, then looked down at her chained hands. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm in the best position to bargain. You are simply going to demand something, knowing full well I can't refuse. So, please do."

Daria grinned, then winced at her lip. "I am, and I'm cuttin' a fair bargain, I think. I'll let ya out even if you say no, but not him," she gestured to Wendel. “Ya’ve a trial due at sunset and-”

“Were my people offered a trial?” Wendel snarled, yanking his chains once again. Daria gave him an admonishing look before snapping back.

“Of sorts, and it ended in blood much like yers will unless ya get me out of here,” she said. Her full, pouty lips drew into a thin line. “I will release both of ya here and now if ya promise to take me with ya. Not just to the edge of camp, but along with yer little makeshift group. I don’t much care where we go.”

Looking to Dynis, Wendel shook his head. “You can’t agree to this; she’ll just backstab us and leave us for dead. It’s how they are.”

“Don’t act like ya know a damned thing about me, arsehole,” Daria said. “I want out but my kin will drag me back to be made an example. I can’t fight ‘em on my own.”

“Pity.”

Daria stared down Dynis. “Yes or no, but without me he's not got a chance in hell gettin' out.”
  • Agree
  • Refuse
  • Ask why she wants out
  • Ask about Manir and Helen
  • Ask something else

Dynis looked back and forth as the two of them talked. She had no idea what was happening and what sort of a history the two of them had, but she realised there was more to Wendel's story than what he had told her.

"This is your home. Why do you want to leave? And did you catch anyone else beside us?"

“The other two? They got away,” she said. Huffed a sardonic, breathy laugh. “I didn’t expect a mage. She's quite pretty, though highly unstable. Yer boy could use some work, too; his form is sloppy as shite. As for yer first question..."

This time, Wendel said nothing. Perhaps he was as curious as Dynis or had finally grown bored of fussing, though by the look on his face the latter was unlikely. In any case, Daria sighed and began speaking. She sounded tired.

“I don’t suit this life,” she explained. "I can kill as easy as the next woman, but entire tribes? Hundreds of people - children? If I refuse to participate they'll slaughter me, chieftan's daughter or not."

“Then die. Problem solved.”

Dynis could allow her to join, but Wendel seemed vehemently against the idea. There was also the option of striking her own deal: Asking Daria for freedom in exchange of wiping out her tribe, so she could be free.
  • Accept
  • Refuse
  • Propose new bargain

No matter what she did that day, her choices seemed to lead to mass murder. She did not know those people, she did not know Wendel's tribe nor Daria's. And she was dragged into wiping one out, for pointless revenge. It would not bring Wendel's family back. And what if someone was left alive from this tribe too, wouldn't they feel much like Wendel did? They could not all be mindless killers. Daria did not seem to be.

Dynis suddenly felt very guilty about even attempting this task. She looked at the woman and asked. "Do you have any children here? Mothers? Older people? Wounded?"

Daria looked from Dynis to Wendel, lips parting. "She doesn't know?"

"It's no different than what you did to me!" He snapped, voice thick with emotion. "I lost everything because of you."

"And I regret that, I do, but now ya've dragged in strangers with no knowledge of the situation. Ya selfish sonofa..." Daria frowned at him. "Yes," she eventually looked to Dynis, "there are families here. Granted, I'm sure all the bad things this moron spewed about us is true, but our family stays together. We've one large camp, that's it."

Wendel spoke not a word.

Accepting Daria's proposition would free both Dynis and Wendel, while declining it would result in Wendel being left behind to await trial - and likely death - come sunset. If Dynis did not want to agree to Daria's terms, she could try to gather Manir and Helen and return for Wendel later. Or, she could go on without him.

- Accept
- Refuse
- Something else

"You absolute moron." Dynis muttered, eyes closing. "Your clan was wiped out and you think it gives you the right to slaughter children? To drag others into this, without explaining. I felt sorry for you, I wanted to help you so you would leave the past behind." She gritted her teeth, doing her best not to scream at Wendel. "You want to do the same thing that happened to you to someone else? To a little child? You are no better than them." She grimaced remembering Manir and Helen. She was the one who dragged the two of them into this mess. She wanted to help and she ended up a murderer. Looking at Daria with a strained expression, she said. "Unchain us and let's get out of here."

Nodding, Daria hurried over and unchained Dynis first. The shackles fell to the floor, leaving red rings around Dynis' wrist. Next, Daria went to Wendel. "We don't have much time," she said, "but nobody-" As soon as he was freed, Wendel slammed Daria into the wall, knuckles tightening around her throat. With a choked curse, she kneed him in the groin. He dropped to his knees with a cry. Quickly, the chieftan's daughter moved away from him. "Idiot!" She rubbed her neck, scowling. "Fight me later, but not now! Gods, feckin' men."

Wendel exhaled through clenched teeth before rising, face pinched with pain. He said nothing, though, nor did he make eye contact with Dynis.

"Grab yer things and come on," Daria said. "If we are quick, nobody'll notice."

It did not take long for them to reach the edge of the camp. Daria had lead them expertly around wandering patrols and, on the off chance they ran into someone, she instructed Dynis and Wendel to hide while she talked them out of suspicion. Thankfully, the archer listened. When they returned back to Wendel's hut, Dynis was greeted by Helen rushing out of the kitchen and hugging her. Manir rose from behind the counter; it appeared the two had been hiding.

"I was so worried! I thought-" Helen tensed, suddenly, eyes widening. She stepped back, gaze locked on Daria. "You?"

Daria grinned. "Surprised?"

"Why is she here?" Manir asked. He donned a black eye and a split lip, similar to Daria's, but she looked in far worse shape. "She tried to kill us." Wendel simply crossed his arms and gave Dynis an disapproving look.

"It's called actin', twit, ever heard of it?"

- Explain the situation
- Ask what happened
- Do something else

"She helped us. I owe her now. As I tend to do all the fricking time!" She was tired and angry and feeling like everything had gone completely wrong. "Can't we all just get along?" She sighed. "Now, more important..." She turned to Daria. "Did anyone die from the gas we set loose? Any families?"

Daria raised her hands in mock surrender, while Helen placed a hand on Manir's shoulder. It did not seem to make much a difference - he, like Wendel, still appeared tense - but at least half of the room had relaxed somewhat. The snarky air about the cheiftan's daughter evaporated rather quickly. "Only one place was actually poisoned," she said. "I stopped these two just before they released it and... well, I'm not sure why ya didn't with yers." Her eyes fell on Wendel, who stared at the wall across the room as though it'd done him a personal injustice.

"I was busy looking for you."

"Well," Daria crossed her arms loosely, "maybe yer grudge came in handy, then." She looked to Dynis. "Two wounded warriors and the tribe drunk. A few others, maybe, but I don't know for certain." Pursed her lips, eyes falling to the floor. "She was funny."

At that, Helen spoke up, voice quiet. "...Families?" She looked horrified. "Wendel, what-" Before she could finish, Wendel stormed out of the hut, door slamming behind him. Helen and Manir exchanged glances before the swordsman followed him.

"So, that's that," Daria said after a time. "I don't blame ya for this. Ya didn't know. And, ah, if ya don't want me around, ya can drop me off at... Magdarene City? They're on lockdown, right? Likely safer there for me than anywhere, even if it means bein' cooped up like a damned damsel." She met Dynis' eyes. "Whatever ya decide, I can't go back."

Dynis did not have to decide on Daria's change of heart now, but she would eventually. On top of that, it likely wasn't the best idea to stick around Wendel's hut after whisking away the chieftan's daughter. The hut and bandit camp weren't too far from each other, so it'd likely be the first place they'd look for her one they realized she was gone.

- Leave the hut now
- Leave the hut tomorrow
- Optional: Decide Daria's fate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back