• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Deadlands

"Well, I don't really like my teacher, but I don't have a choice." Dynis said with a smirk. "Offense, please. Teach me something useful for once."

"Don't worry; I won't tell Helen your thoughts on her poor teaching skills," he joked. "And offense it is, though judging by the way you held yourself in the arena, I taught you well. As expected of a master swordsman, of course." He adopted a defensive position - one Dynis knew well. "Anyway, now that you know what battle with a sword is like, you can learn through trial and error rather than imitation. Attack me."

- Attack high
- Attack low
- Straight jab

"I won't go easy on you." Dynis said with a smirk as she lunged forward to attack. The weight of the sword was starting to get familiar in her hand, it did not trouble her now as it did before. Her first attack was aimed low however, as she did not want to have to lift the scimitar anywhere higher than needed.

Manir dodged the attack by stepping back. "Is that so?" He did not attack back; rather, stood there waiting for another hit. "When fighting offense, one of the best things to do is analyze your surroundings. Try to find places that you can lead your opponent; places that are difficult, on their end, to dodge in. It also makes you more aware of where they're leading you."

oOcotqc.png

In the stables there was a fence for the late ypotryll, which Dynis could try to pin Manir against, if not one of the walls of the stables. Loose strands of hay littered the floor from a nearby hay pile, making it possibly slippery. Off to the side sat a small trough of water, too.

- Wall
- Fence
- Hay
- Trough

"You talk too much." Dynis grinned wolfishly as she hefted the weapon with eagerness. It felt good, she was actually starting to like it. She did her best to direct her blows in a way that it would push Manir toward the hay.

Manir blocked several blows and dodged even more, all while being pushed towards the hay pile, which was directly behind him. He glanced at the fence and trough, brow quirked. "You're not-" his foot slipped and, in a flurry of hay strands, he fell to the floor with a wince. "I... actually did not see that coming at all," he sounded surprised. He grinned up at her, "Was probably too busy talking, huh?"

- Help him up
- Let him up on his own
- Something else

"Hah!" Dynis let out a triumphant exclaim. "Bested at your own game." She grinned, offering him a hand to get up. "How does it feel?"

With one quick tug of her arm, Dynis was pulled downwards into the hay. The coarse strands stuck to her hair and clothes just as they had Manir's. He laughed beside her before plucking a piece that dangled across her nose. "Feels much better now," he teased. Small rays of sun streamed through the gaps in the roof, brightening the hay pile like a stack of soft gold. Moments like these - playful, light, and otherwise carefree - seem nonexistent during the stress of traversing the Deadlands.

Though, perhaps for good reason: Dynis only had so much time to prepare for nightfall.

- Start a hay war
- Make a move
- Relax
- Get upset
- Go back to training
- Leave

"Oh, you little!" Dynis laughed, but still was not about to surrender. She pounced on Manir, hoping to get him in a chokehold. Or really just more covered in hay than she was.

Manir practically squawked, the sound a mix between a laugh and a scream, as she managed to grab him. He leaned backwards sharply, as though to get away, but the motion only brought both of them down into the pile. In the next second Dynis was flipped on her back, Manir hovering over her looking rather triumphant: "I'm sorry, were you trying for payback? Didn't seem to go well for you." He grinned. A few pieces of hay from his person flitted down and stuck to her clothes, making her even more covered in hay than before.

- Push him off
- Kiss him
- Throw hay at him
- Something else

"Fine, fine, I give up!" Dynis exclaimed, still laughing. "You win." She took a deep breath. "You win..." Her expression changed. The smile was gone and she looked at him straight in the eyes. "Hey, Manir, what am I to you?" They were in an undefined spot. They were ever since they meant actually. Perhaps it was not the best time to define it, but it was what Dynis wanted.

The laughter ceased and, slowly, so did his smile. "What? Ah... well..." Pink dusted his cheeks but he did not look away. "I care about you, a lot, and I'd like to be with you. Even after Magdarene City." Quiet filled the stables in between questions. "What am I to you?"

The Deadlands, where tragedy lurked around every corner, was a risky place to fall for someone. Yet, having someone by her side might be nice. Upon completing her pilgrimage, however, Dynis would be expected to return home; if she wanted to see her friends and family from Napari again, she would have to say goodbye to those in the Deadlands at some point. Depending on what Dynis said, it could change their relationship completely.

- Answer
- Stay silent

"I feared you might say that." Dynis slowly closed her eyes. She pushed him aside gently in order to sit up. "I'm sorry. My actions have led to this, I know. But, I can't, Manir." She looked at him apologetically, knowing full well that her words were hurtful. It was impossible for him to understand, but still she wanted to explain. "I want to go back to Napari. It is my home. And I can't bring anyone with me. Better to do this now, than when it is too late. I can't give you what you ask for. I'm sorry." She stood up from the hay pile, her back turned to him.

Manir's face fell. He didn't speak until she stood, at which point he rose, too. "It's fine," his voice shook, "I should have known. Napari this, pilgrimage that; you priestesses are quite good at leading people on and then dropping them." He grabbed his scimitars and brushed past her, leaving the stables in a hurry.

- Let him go
- Stop him

"It's how we are." Dynis agreed, letting him go. He'll live. She was not the only person in the world. It will take some time, but perhaps they will be able to talk freely again at some point. She hoped so. With a sigh, Dynis walked out of the stable to go look for something else to do.

With the sun still high overhead, Dynis had time to practice either on her own or with Helen, who was no longer sitting outside staring at sand. Perhaps she was inside. On the other hand, she could seek out Wendel and ask if he would be willing to teach her archery, though that would be exposing the fact she didn't know how to use a bow as she'd said before. She could also use this time to read her Holy Book, if she wanted.

- Helen
- Wendel
- Alone
- Read

She decided that it was high time to spend a moment on her own. It would do her well. She would have to clear her thoughts and what better way to do it then read the Holy Book. Perhaps it would provide more clues to the rest of her journey.

Stepping inside the hut to collect her book, Dynis settled on one of the floor cushions in the living area. She opened her holy book to the next chapter from where she'd last left off:

Once, a woman had come from the outside, covered in sand and seeking refuge. With her she brought foreign concepts: War, hunger, and fear, among many others. The Mothers divided on whether or not to allow her sanctuary. The young Sister, however, found herself curious and spoke with her. Every day until the Mothers made their decision, she would visit and hear stories of the world beyond the forest. A land of violence and death, but also of great learning.

"There are lessons to be learned everywhere," the woman told her. "Such as masks. They are worn by the young and the old, the sick and the healthy, the pure and dark-hearted. You wear a mask, perhaps many, as do your Mothers. As do I." At first the Sister did not believe her, because the Mothers had no reason to hide or lie about who they were. Yet, as they came to a decision, the Sister would come to learn her most valuable lesson yet: the value of integrity and the lack of it within Napari walls.

The Mothers decided to welcome the outsider, if only because she was a woman and in dire need of help. She became a Mother herself, having been old enough and wise, and for a time things were good. The Sister still went to hear her stories. Until, one day, the peace was broken: The outsider had been killed by a fellow Mother over something so simple as a man. A Mother raised with the values of the tribe had gone against everything it stood for; a dark heart had been masked by status. Not everyone, Napari realized, was suited to be a Mother.

After that, the doors of Napari closed and the tradition of pilgrimage began.

Dynis remembered reading this chapter as a young girl, now. In honor of the Mother who came from the outside world, the Napari Pilgrimage had been set in her homeland, hoping to teach Sisters hardship and wisdom before allowing them to lead. It had always been a sad chapter, for it depicted a time in which not all Mothers held the tribe's best interests at heart.

Night fell by time she finished reading and, soon, Helen came to retrieve her. The woman tapped Dynis on the shoulder and peered down at her. "Dynis? It is time to go." She looked hesitant. "Also... I do not mean to pry, but Manir seems very on edge tonight. Is everything alright?"

- Confide in Helen
- Do not confide in Helen

Dynis was taken back from her thoughts by Helen's voice. As soon as she realised what the elf was talking about she frowned. "Not really." She shook her head, but did not know how to properly explain it to her. "He wanted more than I could give." She shrugged. "Will you keep an eye on him tonight, please? Just so he doesn't do something stupid."

"Oh," Helen still seemed concerned, but nodded regardless. "Yes, I will. He is rather accident prone," she offered a small smile. "I hope things get better for you both."

c139d7a40e49a35044972ac490482a9c.jpg

Upon arriving at the camp, dark as night save for the few lanterns lit, Wendel distributed the potions. "Only use it if it's an emergency," he said, "because you'll only have one shot and it lasts about half a minute. Don't waste it." He then passed them each a pair of gloves and a dark green candle after slipping them on. Next came two flint stones. "Once you light these, you'll have just a few seconds to clear the area. The poison is in the wax and works fast once heated."

"Where are we placing them?" Manir asked.

Wendel unrolled a map and pointed out several spots: "The armories, which are in the two large tents off to the left; the medical station on the right; and the main sleeping quarters in the middle."

"Alright," Helen said. "Manir and I can handle the armories."

He looked at her curiously before looking at Dynis. His lips set in a line and he looked away. "That's fine with me."

"That leaves the medical station and sleeping quarters. Any preference?" Wendel asked.

- Medical station
- Sleeping quarters
- Let Wendel decide

Dynis looked at Manir with worry for a moment, but soon focused on the task ahead.

"You are stealthier, so you can take over the sleeping quarters. I'm going for the medical station." Now that it came to this, she was eager to get the job done.

"Sounds like a plan, then," Wendel said. "Be careful of the night watch. They patrol but, usually, you'll hear them coming."

The four rose from their hiding spot. Manir made to follow Helen into camp, but paused after a few steps. He sighed and pulled out one of his swords before pushing the handle into Dynis' hands. "Don't lose it and don't die." Before she could say anything, he hurried after Helen, who'd stop to wait. Wendel had already gone.

On her own now, Dynis had her staff and one sword as means of protection, plus some basic healing magic in case she needed it.

She'd made it to the edge of camp well enough - no patrols had swept around to bother her. However, upon slipping past the first tent on her way to the medical station Wendel had pointed out on the map, Dynis found her path blocked by an obviously drunken woman who'd fallen against the tarp wall and sat there. She slurred loud, incomprehensible sentences. The entrance to the medical station was just around the corner.

Dynis could hope she was too intoxicated to notice if she crept past, or she could search for a distraction. There were many pebbles on the ground she could toss, plus a few crates - one of which she was currently hiding behind. Or, if she wanted, she could run the woman through; their main purpose there wasn't to make friends.

- Sneak by
- Distract
- Kill her
- Find another route

Well, it was nice to see that Manir at least did not want her to die. They were making some progress already.

However, not that much after her task for the night had gotten much more difficult. The woman looked to be an easy target, and they were about to kill them all anyway, but somehow a poisonous gas was more impersonal. Running her through would take a more bloodthirsty person than Dynis. She looked around for a pebble to throw in the opposite directions, if only to see if the woman will react at all.

Upon tossing a pebble between two other tents, the woman would simply slump in her spot, completely ignorant. It did, however, attract the attention of someone else. A dog. Sniffing the pebble, it gathered it between its teeth and brought it back to Dynis. The creature looked harmless, young. Perhaps even stupidly friendly, considering it walked right up to a stranger without hesitation. It wagged its tail.

Nice as the dog was, though, it'd surely give her location away if anyone were to notice it.

- Shoo
- Pet the dog
- Toss the pebble
- Run
- Something else

Dynis petted the dog and took the pebble it brough. "Good boy." She whispered. "Now stay." She pointed at the ground in front of her feet, hoping the dog would listen without making a sound. Then she would proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back