• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Darkest Shadow. Magical Girl/Boy, Viking-themed, Cosmic Horror. Interest check.

Helgi_und_Sigrun_by_Johannes_Gehrts.jpg

Answer the call of Odin, my child,
shed the darkling's blood in His name...

THE WORLD
Yggdrasil. The Life Tree, and the Pillar of Worlds. It is what supports the Nine Realms, around it everything exists.
But it is said that the tree has a shadow, a dark side that emerges... who knows when, but it does every now and then.
It is said that the shadow of the tree supports a whole Nine Realms of its own. And in that world lives the darklings, the twisted version of life as we know it.
They are very hostile, and worse, it is known that they can corrupt life forms into their own kind.

YOU
At first, you were just a young animal, a wildling living according to Nature's laws.
You hunted and were hunted. You drank the pond water, and slept in the burrows, in the nest, inside the foilage. You called the Great Forest your home, the only place you can be.
And you expected your life to continue as it is.
But the Odin called you one day, and this will all change. You will find yourself transformed into a human youngling's form by otherworldly power the Gods wield. You'll find yourself with some form of supernatural ability. And then you'll be enlisted in the war against the darklings, whether you want it or not.

THE FUTURE
This will be a battle, a war. There will be countless days where you fight, mired in despair.
Your ultimate goal: to cut down the shadow of the tree, growing far in the distance. The journey will be treacherous, but you will have to try or die trying.
But maybe there will be hope too.

-------​
Hello all, Nine here. Apologies for the short interest check. I'm not that articulate like others, and I'm wondering if this is too niche to garner that much interest.
As said above this will be an RP where characters who are animals, turned into magical girls soon into RP, and then pitted against cosmic horror in a Viking world.
Also, I should clarify that magical boys are also allowed, as explained in the title. Not much Viking lore knowledge required, in fact I'm not that knowledgeable myself.
And the RP will have own twists when it comes to worldbuilding, not strictly follow the established Viking lore.

This will most likely be a small group if it takes off, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Minimum post requirement is once a week, however short as you'd like it to be. What I'm looking for is consistency.

Any questions are welcome.
It's been a while since I DMed anything so I would appreciate feedback too.
Also would you guys/gals like a Discord? Or prefer everything to stay here?

Interested!! Seems cool :) also would probably like a discord, although I can’t always get on :/

Very cool to see that people are interested. I'm waiting for a couple of more interest before I commit to writing up a lore and cs post.

Interested!! Seems cool :) also would probably like a discord, although I can’t always get on :/
Great! Yeah, I'm leaning toward Discord as well. And don't worry about not being always on.
YOU HAD ME AT MAGICAL GIRL AND COSMIC HORROR
Those two genres mix well together, am I right? ;)
LOVE THIS IDEA! I’d prefer forum roleplaying over discord.
Cool cool! To clarify, the Discord (if we end up making one) will be only for OOC discussion. All RPs will take place here. I can also make a separate OOC thread if people want that too.

I can get behind this. Count me in.

Two questions though.
1.) How long ago can we have been changed by odin. Would he have preemptively selected people and would it be long enough for them to build a life as a human.

2.) can we be animals from different realms?

I can get behind this. Count me in.

Two questions though.
1.) How long ago can we have been changed by odin. Would he have preemptively selected people and would it be long enough for them to build a life as a human.

2.) can we be animals from different realms?

Both of these are great questions, I appreciate it.

1) Most of the characters would start out as animals, and then turned into magical girls / boys very soon into the RP. What's going to happen is that (vaguely speaking to avoid spoilers) there will be some sort of calamity the Gods and the world need dealt with, and that's why the characters will be chosen. Turning animals into warriors is a taxing thing, it goes against the laws of nature, and it's not the kind of event that happens quite often. HOWEVER, it is possible that there might have been kind of mini-calamities or other dire events before this one (we can discuss what that event might have been), so you might have been a chosen one before most of the characters. In which case you might have enough time (maximum of 3 years before, let's say) to build life as a human. Generally speaking there's a certain range of age Odin chooses from, so you might be a senior compared to other characters. (TLDR: I'm willing to provide exceptions).

2) Part of the RP is 'just average joes turning into something they're not and then getting thrown into the world of supernatural', so I'm leaning toward no, they can only be from one realm (Midgard, the realm of humanity).

Last edited:
Both of these are great questions, I appreciate it.

1) Most of the characters would start out as animals, and then turned into magical girls / boys very soon into the RP. What's going to happen is that (vaguely speaking to avoid spoilers) there will be some sort of calamity the Gods and the world need dealt with, and that's why the characters will be chosen. Turning animals into warriors is a taxing thing, it goes against the laws of nature, and it's not the kind of event that happens quite often. HOWEVER, it is possible that there might have been kind of mini-calamities or other dire events before this one (we can discuss what that event might have been), so you might have been a chosen one before most of the characters. In which case you might have enough time (maximum of 3 years before, let's say) to build life as a human. Generally speaking there's a certain range of age Odin chooses from, so you might be a senior compared to other characters. (TLDR: I'm willing to provide exceptions).

2) Part of the RP is 'just average joes turning into something they're not and then getting thrown into the world of supernatural', so I'm leaning toward no, they can only be from one realm (Midgard, the realm of humanity).
thanks for clearing that up. In that case ill go with a two toed sloth. I asked the first question because i tend to avoid playing characters that are too young. I would be okay with 18 or 19 so he wouldn’t be super old, and the “Human life” is basically to give him some ties to the world and thus more reason to defend it. I look forward to the start of this. Good Norse mythology stories are kinda hard to find and this seems to be just such a Gem.

thanks for clearing that up. In that case ill go with a two toed sloth. I asked the first question because i tend to avoid playing characters that are too young. I would be okay with 18 or 19 so he wouldn’t be super old, and the “Human life” is basically to give him some ties to the world and thus more reason to defend it. I look forward to the start of this. Good Norse mythology stories are kinda hard to find and this seems to be just such a Gem.
Got it, happy to clear that up for ya. I'm ok with characters around the age of 18 or 19, as long as the numbers have 'teens' in it. And I think having a 'human life' is an interesting twist I would not have thought of, so I appreciate that. Hopefully this story can be the gem you are looking for :)

Any restrictions on what sort of animal? And how relevant will species of origin be?
Ideally the animals would be something that reasonably can exist in a viking world (for example, something like camels would be discouraged), but I'm really not that big on restrictions on stuff like that. The species of origin won't be that much relevant, but you'll be able to turn into your chosen animal form at any point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back