• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.
C
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

Hell0NHighWater

Queen of Hell

46d0d45921977471ff2ba86fadd8f51d.png
‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏INTEREST‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎CHECK

‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ THE CALL OF CTHULHU

The Storyline

The following is a transmitted distress message:​

“MAYDAY—

PIPER FOXTROT X-RAY QUEBEC QUEBEC—

STRUCK BY LIGHTNING—

IMPACT IMMINENT—

POSITION: 200 MILES EAST OF—

ALTITUDE: 1500 FEET, AIRSPEED: 125 KNOTS—

HEADING: 270 DEGREES—

250 PEOPLE ON BOARD—

PIPER FOXTROT X-RAY QUEBEC QUEBEC—”​

ee4ff425f4bc292e9b953df2d614e3dc.jpg
Somewhere in the remote wilderness of British Columbia, a plane crashed.

Most of those who were on board perished—save for a small handful of survivors who managed to climb from the wreckage, injured, wary, and scared.
Through the smoke and fog, a mountain appears in the distance, sheer rock striking down from a flat snowy peak blanketed by the virescence of pine trees. There is the sound of moving water and the scent of air uncompromised by the pollutants of modern living; but there is no rumble of cars, trains, bikes, or people—there is no life.

Not a bird to be seen in the sky, a fish in the water, or a black bear roaming the woods.
It is completely silent.
A pause.
Waiting.

From the eerie silence, a call was heard that made the universe itself tremble.
The Setting
=SO WHAT DID I JUST READ?=

The Call of Cthulhu is set on April 2, 2025 in the remote wilderness of British Columbia, Canada. A plane flying over was mysteriously stuck by a bolt of lightning and the damage caused the engines to fail, subsequently causing the plane to crash.

The characters, having been on this plane for whatever reason, survived.

As soon as they find their way out of the wreckage, they find a road that leads to a small village where the locals take them in. They are fed and housed in an old hotel. It used to be a place for tourists seeking the scenery and wildlife of the region, but it had been left abandoned after the last owner disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Knowing that they can not survive in the decrepit conditions of the hotel, and with the hope of rescue diminishing, they work together to repair what they can. But the long abandoned building has many secrets, a terrible madness, and a dead painter who will lead them to an awful discovery—all while the world outside is coming undone.

unknown.png

=CONCEPTS OF HELL=

The notion of Hell, a place of damnation and suffering, is common across many cultures around the world. While each culture calls Hell by a different name, the similarities are often thought provoking. Abrahamic tradition sees Hell as a punishment. The Kabbalah describes Hell as a waiting room or entryway for all souls. While in Islam, Jahannam is a place of blazing fire, boiling water, and torments. Some other traditions, where the concept of an afterlife as a place of punishment or reward is unknown, describe Hell as the abode of the dead.

In regard to the Cthulhu Mythos, Hell might be regarded as a dire dimension, a manifestation of utter desolation so alien to humanity as to be beyond our ability to conceive. Visions, encounters, and lore arising from centuries of human history are viewed through common perceptions as a malign place where no good exists, and a place where the wicked are sent for eternity. Such conceptions are humanity’s way of dealing with the truth of the cosmic reality of existence and the universe in which we believe we exist.
The Seven Stars Hotel
=ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ ꜱᴛᴀƦꜱ ʜᴏᴛᴇʟ=
The building has seen better days; long abandoned, the elements have caused severe damage to the structure and façade. Clearly there is much work to be done before it's even remotely livable. Detailed descriptions of the grounds and internal rooms to follow:

unknown.png

The hotel is close to the southern bank of a massive lake. A rotted but useable wooden deck provides mooring for boats. While vegetation is sparse, what exists is overgrown and unkempt; straggly and thorny bushes surround the hotel, while ancient and tall trees pierce the sky. In the distance, what the natives call 'Hoodoo Mountain' dominates the skyline. At the western end of the hotel is an outhouse where the characters have stored any salvaged tools and supplies, as well as the generator and fuel. On the eastern side, a decaying set of doors set into the ground lead to a chute connected to the hotel’s basement, allowing wood and other supplies to be dropped down. A rusted iron chain and padlock prevent access.

A two-story structure, with a basement below, the hotel’s insides are in relatively good condition as opposed to its external features. The décor is old and fading; wallpaper is ripped and lighting fixtures are either missing or broken. In places where boarding across windows is missing, the glass is long smashed, allowing the elements to take their toll in some of the rooms. Floorboards are, on the whole, sound, however there is always run the risk of putting your feet through rotten and decayed boards. Dust, dirt, and cobwebs festoon the place.
General Info
e5c0dc29075e9f715e714e8511ecf11c.png
The Call of Cthulhu is a mix of mystery, supernatural, and cosmic horror. The game itself is sandbox in nature, allowing players to explore the extremely isolated and remote wilderness of the northwest corner of British Columbia, Canada. The hotel is situated on a large lake and falls under the shadow of Hoodoo Mountain. About half a mile from the hotel is a settlement of Tlingit people, who are indigenous to the area. Though none of the residents seem willing to supply much information about why the hotel is located some distance from the village. Because of how remote it is, there are very little roads leading through the area—in fact there is only one road in the whole area and calling it a road is a bit generous.

=PLAYERS & CHARACTERS=​
So I'm going to start this off by saying that I want this RP to be a bit on the small side, I would prefer to get 4-6 players, 4 is ideal but I can also run this with 3. Alternatively, if this picks up a lot of interest I can run it with 8 and some elbow grease (aka I'm going to need a co-GM at that point).

However this does not mean that it's going to be first come first serve. So don't feel like you have to rush out a character sheet or anything. All I ask is that players be respectful, and communicate often. I do have a discord set up and if you would be interested in joining please feel free to either PM me or look for it in the OOC as soon as that is set up.

This RP, obviously based on HP Lovecrafts works, has some really mature themes so if you are interested in this please understand that there will be violence, gore, and/or other things that may be triggering. Please abide by RPN rules that should go without saying.

Romance, angst, and character division is encouraged but won't be the main focus of the story itself. As this does have a bit of a mystery to the main plot, please be conscious of the fact that your characters will not always know what a clue means and probably have less knowledge of what's going on than you as the writer do. If you have a question about something that this interest check hasn't covered, please don't be afraid to ask.

As for characters, I’m only allowing one for the moment. I would like this to be a smaller group so dual wielding characters right out of the gate will be harder on me to keep track of and might not give someone else the opportunity to join.

=QUALITY & COMMITMENT=​
I don’t expect to see you rewrite Shakespeare. We're all arguably human here so grammar and spelling mistakes are fine as long as you know the difference between 'there', 'they're', and 'their'. I hate putting a limit on how much people write, but this isn't the sort of thing to have casual one-liners.

As for what I would like to see: at least a paragraph without lamp-posting (meaning: if I can replace your character with a lamp post and nothing is contributed to progressing the scene or plot then that's gonna be a no from me dawg). I am well aware that it takes a lot to consistently put that much effort into a post, so just stick to a length that is easy for you to maintain.

I know life happens and it happens a lot, it’ll inevitably happen for me too. This is going to be a super chill story, I'm not really expecting anything on commitment as long as you communicate and don't completely flake without letting me know.
Be Advised: If you decide to leave the RP or dip without letting anyone know, we get to sacrifice your character to the Elder Gods :)

Holy shit, finally, I am among my people, people who know what the Cthulhu mythos is ::::::::::::::::::3

Are you still accepting? Love the Call of Cthulhu series and I've loved the tablet top game

Hello, hello! I saw the main RP for a moment in the group RP area, but as it seems the RP has been going for a bit, I was wondering whether or not the RP is open to newcomers at this point? Just thought I'd ask.

Hello, hello! I saw the main RP for a moment in the group RP area, but as it seems the RP has been going for a bit, I was wondering whether or not the RP is open to newcomers at this point? Just thought I'd ask.
No sorry we're currently past capacity and I'm not accepting anymore players at this moment. If there's room later I'll shoot you a PM in case you're still interested :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back