• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Bronze Locket

Hugh liked the idea of Adelaide riding with him and readily agreed. They walked through the summer gardens and around the side of the house where the barn stood. Already Hugh could hear the stable hands working with the horses. Hugh enjoyed when Adelaide held his arm as she was doing and he leaned slightly into her to listen as she spoke of learning more from Fausta's family.

"I cannot possibly imagine you needing more training for your voice but I do agree that sounds like a lovely venture. Perhaps even you could sing for a group in Italy... As for swimming, I would be happy to teach you. Though the swimming gowns you women have to wear are truly just a hindrance. If we are at a beach where you can don some mens clothing I would find that preferable for your safety." Hugh told her as they entered the barn. The stable hands all stopped what they were doing and bowed to the couple. Hugh smiled in a friendly manor and directed the Hellfire be brought out and readied for a ride.

The boys got right down to it and within a matter of minutes the lively dark horse was ready for a ride. Hugh left Adelaide near a gate where another horse rested easily and greeted his horse. The black stallion seemed a little over excited at first and it took some calming from Hugh before he was able to climb on. Hugh then gestured for Adelaide to step close and in one swift movement he bent and wrapped a strong arm around her waist and hoisted her up into his lap. Hugh grinned at her certain she had not been expecting that and let her get comfortable in the saddle. When she was ready he clicked his tongue and Hellfire meandered out of the stable and towards the path they had previously taken to get to Maude's cottage.

~

Duncan closed the lid to the piano and turned to give Fausta his full attention as she spoke of her family. To Duncan it seemed like a mad house, that many members living all together. He smiled when she spoke of there being more music in her home and he found he quite liked the idea of meeting them all.
"Your mother and father are Venus and Adonis? My my, You must be Beroe then, a child of the gods. You certainly have the beauty told of Beroe." Duncan said thoughtfully. He wanted to explore the idea a bit more and stood and walked over to the bookcase. His finger moved over the spines until he found the one he was looking for. Duncan flipped through the pages until he found a page with a wood stamp rendition of a painting of the two lovers. Before showing it to Fausta he read out the following.

"The child of Adonis and Venus, Beroe grew up, she was highly regarded as an outstanding beauty and destined to marry Poseidon. Eros struck her twice with arrows of love and a confrontation took place for her love." Duncan looked up then and showed her the page. "Are the gods alive and well in your family, sweet Fausta?" He said joking with her. "I get the feeling our trip will be rather magical."

Adelaide smiled as he talked, and laughed a little as he offered to teach her how to swim, kissing him on the cheek. They had reached the stable before she could respond, and she smiled gently to the stable hands. Hugh left to get his horse ready, and once the beast was under control, he hopped up upon the saddle. Without warning, he scooped her up into his lap, and she squealed in spurise. At his wicked little snicker, she huffed, getting settled and smiled despite herself. They took an easy pace out towards the woods, the warm sun shining.

Under the trees that hummed with life, Adelaide felt at peace in Hugh's arms. She leaned back against his chest and rested her head on his collar. With a dreamy sigh, she hummed lightly. "Are we going to our secret place?" She asked shyly, knowing the answer already. It made her happy that he was spiriting her away like this--to a place only for their eyes. "I've thought often of our first kiss there, you know. It really was a moment of magic." As the horse continued to plod along, the summer air had her in a cheery mood, and she began to sing softly for him. The foliage rustled with animals, and the summer flowers around her hair smelled sweet. This moment was utterly perfect in her eyes; Hugh's heartbeat thrumming against her and peace surrounding them.

Like they were the only two people in the world. Eventually, her song ended and they had reached Mauve's glade once more. She smiled excitedly, and pressed kisses along his jawline as they broke from the cover of the trees. "You make my heart sing with joy, Hugh." She whispered sweetly against his skin.
~

Fausta laughed as Duncan's imagination ran away with him, the mythos gripping him. She smiled and shook her head as he showed her the picture. She looked up at him through her lashes and grinned. "Oh? How you flatter me, dearest Duncan. You must be Eros, then. I was seeing the way women longed for you." Placing the book on her lap as she looked at the painting, she asked, playfully. "Would you be fighting the sea for my hand, too then?" She placed a hand over her heart and swooned dramatically, leaning over the arm of the chaise and staring at the upside down man.

"That is being very romantic of you, signor." She stuck out her tongue and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. "How ever would I be staying just friends with such a man?" She laughed at her own antics. "I, too, am thinking that our trip will be divine."

Last edited:
Hugh felt the peace settle in his heart as Adelaide spoke to him softly asking if they were returning to the glade where the little ruins of the cottage lay. He nodded choosing only to let her voice fill the summer air. He smiled down at her when she spoke of their first kiss and squeezed her as the memory flashed through his mind. When she began to sing Hugh let his eyes close for a moment, the sunlight glowing bright against his eyelids and flickering as the beams passed through the trees. The feeling of home and completion seemed to fill him more and more as they drew closer to the glade. His silence was broken as they broke out into the open and Adelaide began to kiss along his jaw line, making him laugh.

"And you, sweet Adelaide, make me weak in the knees when you kiss me like that." He lowered his head and brushed his lips over hers as they came to a halt next to the old ruins again. "There was something this morning, that made me want to visit this place once more with you. Before we leave on our grand adventure." Hugh helped Adelaide down off Hellfire and then swept his leg over the saddle and stepped down onto the grass as well. Hugh paused to give Hellfire a friendly pat on the neck before encouraging the horse to seek some fine grazing. Hellfire's tail swished as he walked away and the great beast settled peacefully in the glade.

Hugh breathed in deep, his lungs filling. He felt the familiar feeling that had been with him the first time they had stumbled upon this place. At this point Hugh would have said yes to most any request, serotonin filled his brain and he decided to funnel that joy out into the world. He crossed the grass to stand next to his friend and lover.

"This place feels so special." He told her, his hand reaching out to find hers, their fingers lacing. "I find myself wanting to tell you everything about me here, it feels in this place there are no secrets."

~

Duncan's smile was filled a sort of male pride at the mention of women fawning over him. He had to admit he certainly liked the attention he had received from his looks. He laughed when Fausta swooned.

"Of course my dearest. I suppose with my sailing experience one might say that I have already mastered the sea." Duncan moved to stand next to her and sank to his knees dramatically, taking up Fausta's hand in his own and pressing a kiss there. "I would not let the old gods come between us, even with all their trickery." She stuck her tongue out at him and joked that perhaps their friendship might end up more. Duncan snorted and pressed her hand to his chest where his heart beat.

"Already my heart is yours!" He declared. There came a knocking at the door then and Duncan rose to answer. Joseph stood on the other side of the doorway then and handed him a letter. Duncan thanked the man and opened the parchment paper. His eyes flew over the page and his brow rose, he reread the message and scoffed a bit before tucking away the letter into his breast pocket. Duncan closed the door once more and moved to pour himself a drink.

Hugh laughed and spoke words to make her heart flutter. She giggled back, and soon enough her skirts were sweeping the lovely green grass of the glade. Hugh''s fingers tangled with hers and she smiled brightly, the other hand coming round his neck. She pressed many fevered kisses to his lips, relishing the soft noises of affection he made. For her. Adelaide laughed gently and felt her heart swell at his words.

"I would love to listen." She replied "You know all of me, now. I would be gladdened to know more of you, angel." Adelaide pressed her nose to his, her eyes searching the endless depths of his ocean blue ones. "This place holds a tenderness I only find within your arms." She murmured to him. "It feels as though we are the only people on earth, with all the time we could desire." Adelaide smiled, kissing the corner of his mouth as she pulled away. She danced along the grass, laughing with joy as she did. Here, there was nothing to do but simply be. The weights on their shoulders didn't press down--not from society or business or even family.

Adelaide found a shaded spot on the edge of the glade and laid down in the grass, her skirts surrounding her like a halo. She smiled up at him and gestured for him to come closer. "Come, then, darling," She coaxed, giggling. "Tell me what your heart speaks." Adelaide rested her chin on one hand as she blinked up at him through her long lashes with a gentle, happy smile. The fine summer air wove through the trees, making them sound like a river. All was peaceful and humming quietly with life. A rabbit scurried away from Hellfire as the beast leashurly ambled about the clearing, eating.

Her kisses were sweet and Hugh could not stop the laughter bubbling out of him. She was so innocent with her small kisses and part of him wished to deepen each and every one of them. Now was a time for words however. Later, Hugh told himself, he would sink into the pleasure that was Adelaide. Her words comforted him and he knew then he wanted to tell her more about himself, about the history of his family. She pulled away from him then and danced like a fairy through the tall grass until she found found a spot in the shade of an old tree. It's trunk was twisted with age and held the weight of many years. She gestured for him to join her and he did so.

She looked beautiful sitting there in the grass and his heart warmed at the sight of her. Hugh got to the ground and followed his impulse to lay down next to her. He squinted as the summer sun peeked through the leaves that rustled above him. Their vibrant green a start contrast to the light blue of the sky. Hugh's head turned to look at Adelaide, her hair moving around her face like the leaves above them.

"I do not have a happy story to tell." He told her honestly, the blades of grass tickling around his face. "My mother and father had three boys as you know, myself, John and Duncan. Father was quite pleased with the lot of three boys but it was very clear that Duncan was his favourite. When Duncan was older Father would take him to town and further out to the city to teach him business. As the years went by Duncan grew less enamored with the idea of travel with Da. He would beg to stay home with us and Mother often asked for him to stay as well but Father would not hear of it. I never saw it but I know that he would use violence against the both of them when they went against his wishes." Hugh broke off, even the pleasant surroundings doing nothing to stop the bitter taste in his mouth.

"My father was a cruel man." He said softly.

Adelaide moved closer to Hugh as he spoke, her heart aching at his words. She wrapped one hand around his face and pressed kisses to his cheek. Adelaide moved down and buried her face into his neck, one hand still cradling his face. She moved that hand down and rested it over his heart. "I am so sorry, Hugh." She whispered into his ear. "None of you deserved such a fate."

She came closer to him then, and Hugh took comfort in her kisses and the way she held him. It brought him the courage to continue his story. His hand moved to cover the one that rested on his chest and he squeezed it.

"Duncan would come back with stories for me and John and he loved to tell them so. I suppose mother was listening to us from the doorway one night when Duncan spoke of my fathers adultery. She became withdrawn and her care over myself and John was passed onto the house maids. She didn't tell the stories of magic like she used to. She died not long after, I do not think her heart could take it. Father did not attend her funeral, he and I rarely spoke after that. I knew even as a child that he had broken her. He died and neither myself nor Duncan went to his service. We did not think that he deserved that much." Hugh shrugged a little and looked over to Adelaide.

"I've been creating happier memories without him. Duncan is truly all I have left. Other than Aunt Lydia of course." He smiled at her then, it was soft but a genuine smile all the same. "Since meeting you the joy in my life has been tenfold. For that I thank you."

Adelaide sat up, and guided his head onto her lap. Gently, she ran her fingers through his long hair, looking down into his face with awe and wonder. "You survived such a tumultuous childhood." She murmured "I am so, deeply sorry for all you endured, Hugh. No child--no person--deserves such a life. I am so thankful that you and Duncan have been able to support each other." Adelaide bent down and pressed a sweet, chaste kiss to his brow. Adelaide's long golden braid fell over her shoulder as she looked down at him, tickling his nose briefly before she swept it back over her shoulder. Adelaide's eyes held Hugh's with an intensity she had not yet expressed before him.

"If you say that I have helped bring you some happiness, then I am overwhelmed with gratitude. All my life I have wished nothing more than to make people happy. And all that time I was unable to, until you came. To be a part of your joy, your healing, is the highest honor of my life. It always will be." She leaned forward and pressed a soft, loving kiss to his mouth. Pulling away, tears had gathered in her eyes, but she smiled down at him. "Maybe we were destined to find each other, my brave, beautiful angel." She murmured "For you have saved me in more ways than I can count since you stepped through my door. I am light and free because of you, Hugh." Adelaide leaned forward again and she kissed him once more, both her hands steadying his face on her lap.

Adelaide kissed Hugh with a gentle passion; for she wished to express her own gratitude for his presence. She poured her affections, her joy and her love into the act, hoping desperately that now words had failed her, he would still understand. The tears finally fell from her eyes, crystalline droplets falling onto Hugh's cheeks as they kissed.

Her words were so full of emotion and Hugh could feel his own lump form in his throat. He knew if he spoke the dam would break and so he kept quiet and listened to her words of love and truth. They spilled from her like her tears and Hugh was grateful that she could be like this with him. It gave him hope. She kissed him then, her tears warm fell to his cheek, but he found he was not bothered in the slightest, her lips were soft against his and he let himself sink into the moment. She held him so tenderly and loving and Hugh knew where he was, was safe.

They broke apart a long while later, their mouths swollen from the others passion. Hugh cleared his throat, doing his best to push the emotion out of the way. He sat up then and shifted so he sat next to Adelaide. Catching her chin he caught her in one last kiss before he dropped his head to her shoulder and closed his eyes.

"Not a soul other than Duncan knows this story. I'm pleased I was able to tell you, this glade certainly seemed to help." Hugh mused as the wind picked up again. The leaves shook around them and Hugh took a breath of the fresh air before opening his eyes. They were along the edge of the glade, facing in towards the old ruins, the sun shone bright above them. As his eyes moved over the scene he caught a glint of something shiny under some of the rubble. It was a small shine, but what ever it was it caught the suns rays and glinted happily towards the couple.

"Now what could that be?" Hugh asked. He pointed towards the small little beam of light and got to his feet. He turned to offer Adelaide a hand up.

Adelaide took his hand, squeezing it gently as she stood. "I wonder." She replied. "Let's find out, shall we?" Adelaide was pleased to have been able to spend time with him, to help him clean out his heart of old hurt so he could begin anew. Her fingers entwined with his as they walked, and she looked back over her shoulder as they reached the ruins. Giving Hugh a bright smile, she knelt and began to search through the grass, looking for the source of the glimmer. After some minutes of searching, her fingers hit smooth stone.

"Aha!" She exclaimed. "I think I've found our mystery, angel." Adelaide scooped up the pale, iridescent stone in her hands, showing it to him as she rose to her feet. The small, flat stone was split in half, and etched upon the surface in fading gold lines was the image of a sun and crescent moon, intertwined together. Adelaide smiled up at him. "How beautiful! Look, darling, Mauve seems to have left us a little gift." She laughed a little, the light breeze and warm sunshine making the stone in her palm wink and shine, almost like it was alive. The sun had warmed the stone so, Adelaide could have sworn that it felt like a heartbeat in her hands.

They walked together and Hugh joined Adelaide on the ground as they drew close and peered through the stone and rubble. When Adelaide found the item Hugh rose with her and looked down at the item. The iridescent glow of the stone seemed to cast a rainbow over Adelaide's hand and Hugh took in a breath at the sight.

"This is beautiful." Hugh murmured, his hand reached out and he took a half, one with the moon and raised up the stone to the sun. It caught the beams of light and glowed happily. It was warm in his fingers. "A very splendid gift indeed." Hugh said in agreement, his hand dropping to to join hers and he pressed the two halves of the stone together again. It fit together like a puzzle piece and Hugh noted now a small hole that both stones had near the top. "It looks like this was perhaps a necklace once, would be easy enough to string up and wear." He lifted his head to catch her eye.

"Perhaps Mauve wanted to give us a way to remember this place no matter where we go." He smiled then, thankful for the little piece of magic he got to share with Adelaide. "I know your locket was taken from you, perhaps this pendant might be a placeholder until we can find a way to return what is rightfully yours?"

Adelaide smiled and leaned up to kiss his cheek. The little rainbows that fell across his skin took her breath away. At his lovely suggestion, she laughed happily. "Hugh, that sounds lovely! Here, let me." Taking the thin ribbon tying up her hair, Adelaide threaded Hugh's half of the stone through the long white ribbon and then reached up, tying it around his neck so it fell down just over his heart. She kissed him again, giggling. "I quite like you with this." She said "It feels like you have a little piece of me with you, now. Wherever you may go."

Adelaide held her own piece in her hand, folding the fist over her heart as she looked up into his blue, blue eyes. "I'll be very glad to have a reminder f this place with me when we go abroad. Like bringing home along." She smiled. "Thank you, Hugh. You have brought so much happiness to me, every moment that we've been together. I am grateful." The sun had passed its zenith in the sky, and after a small while longer, Adelaide said.

"We should be going soon, love. I still have to speak to my cousins before I pack." The thought made her pale a little. It was not a conversation she was going to enjoy.

Adelaide seemed to light up at the idea and Hugh smiled widely, happy that his thought had brought her so much joy. He lowered his head when she was finished stringing the pendant and liked the feel of it against his chest. His hand lifted and he fingered the stone and looked down at it thoughtfully, it seemed to pulse with its rainbow glow and Hugh knew that he would rarely take it off.

"I will always think of you and this place." He said softly agreeing with her sentiment. "I did not think today could get any more joyful but I'm grateful I was wrong." When Adelaide suggested they return Hugh nodded, he was a little hesitant to leave such a peaceful place but he knew it was time to pack as well. "If you should need my help with that conversation I would be happy to join. But I get the feeling that you can handle them just fine." Hugh smiled, knowing the gumption the woman before him had was certainly formidable. Hugh called for Hellfire and once they were all settled, they headed back towards Westwood at a gentle pace.

By the time they were back in the familiar stables Hugh found the peace that had been in him at the glade was replaced with excitement for the journey ahead. After passing Hellfire onto the stable hands Hugh walked with Adelaide to the front of the house where her horse and carriage waited.

"It shan't take but a day or two for us to be ready for this new adventure." Hugh took Adelaide's hand and kissed it. "I hope the time passes quickly, the thought of being apart from you is not a pleasant one. I must admit." He chuckled.

Adelaide enjoyed their quiet ride back to the estate, relishing the moments she could stay snuggled in his arms. Once they'd arrived, Hugh lead her out front, where her carriage waited, Charles, Fausta and her dogs all inside. His lips brushed over her knuckles, and Adelaide sighed at the contact. At his sweet words, she smiled, feeling happiness bubble up in her. "I'm afraid I quite agree." Adelaide replied. "I shan't be sleeping as well as last night while we're apart on our own errands." She squeezed his hand tightly, her heart fluttering.

"But I shall see you again, soon, angel, yes?" Their eyes met and Adelaide's heart swelled once more with love for him. Each time she found herself in his eyes, she fell a little more. With a single kiss to his left cheek, she departed, looking over her shoulder once before entering the carriage. The ride home was pleasant, but dread pooled in the pit of her stomach the closer they got. Fausta clasped hands with her and spoke soothingly in italian to ease her nerves. The conversation with her cousins was indeed unpleasant, for Elizabeth and Lionel ran through many emotions during the talk. Anger, fear, sadness. Liza fainted once, and Lionel had to excuse himself to smoke and blow off his rising anger. They agreed to stay and watch the estate during her absence, partially out of guilt.

Half a week passed before they were ready, but soon enough Fausta and Adelaide were at the docks, waiting for the boys. The ship they were to sail on was called the S.S. Starchaser. Addy was a little nervous to board, so she observed the footmen bringing their luggage on. Her golden hair was up in a loose bun with a sun hat atop, and she wore a simple, comfortable dress. The new choker lay against ehr skin, and she fingered the stone nervously as she waited. Adelaide's heart longed to see Hugh once more, and excitement filled her at the prospect of him arriving soon to embark on their grand adventure.
~

Fausta was finishing up overseeing the ships preparations. She wore high-waisted men's trousers and a loose white shirt which opened in the front. Knee high leather boots, black lace gloves that came to her wrists, and her hair in a long, loose braid. She had minimal makeup, but a bloom of rose red lipstain and large hooped earrings hanging down from her ears. She looked like something from a pirate fairytale.

Fausta spotted the Montgomery's carriage pulling up, and cupped her hands to call out. "Caio signores! You have been making us wait long enough, yes?" A devilish smile curled her lips. "Don't be telling me that you're getting the ice feet?" She was excited to be out on the water again. The sea gave her such energy.

It took them longer to prepare for the long journey and for the Hugh was a bit saddened. He had hoped the distance from the Adelaide would have been much shorter, but alas. Soon however their carriage was filled with trunks of clothes and items the men could not be parted from. It had been a unique feeling packing up and getting ready to go for both of the Montgomery's, there were no wars to be fought this time. There would be no death by their hands, instead, fine wines and lovely women for company. Hugh gave the house one more sweep and met Joseph at the front door. The kind butler shook hands with him and wished them well on their journey.

Hugh and Duncan sat in the carriage and took the ride down to the docks, both were chatty and the time passed quickly as they moved through the rolling hills of England. When they arrived it was clear the women had beat them and had been waiting a little as most of their trunks and cases were already off the carriage and onto the ship. Fausta's voice carried to them as she shouted her greeting. Duncan poked half his body out of the carriage window and waved happily towards the women. When the carriage stopped Duncan was out on the docks before Hugh could even sit up. Duncan rushed to the women and threw his arms around the both of them engulfing them in a friendly group hug.

"Ah I missed your lovely faces! No cold feet from the Montgomery's. Just someone who slept in." Duncan chuckled and while keeping his arms slung around both women he looked at the Starchaser and breathed out. "Aye what a bonny ship." He said lovingly, with a bit of a Scottish brogue.

Hugh could not keep his eyes off Adelaide, each time she blew him away. It took the footman a long while to get his attention to gain permission to bring aboard the trunks. Hugh nodded distracted and went over to the small group and joined them as they looked at their transport. They would be a week on the Starchaser, so soon they would be Italy.

"Hello." Hugh said softly to Adelaide. Duncan released her then and with his hip nudged Adelaide to step closer to Hugh. Hugh took the opportunity and grasped Adelaide's hand and smiled at her. "Lovely to see you again." He murmured feeling a bit awkward in front of Duncan and Fausta.

~

Duncan rolled his eyes heaven ward at the sight of his brother acting like a self conscious fool . He shook his head and cleared his throat to get everyone's attention.

"I hear our accommodations are quite lovely perhaps we should board and start this lovely adventure." Duncan said, he caught Hugh's nod and together the group walked up the gang plank and were on the deck of the ship. They were greeted by the captain, an older gentleman with a thick grey beard and green eyes the tone of seaweed.

"Welcome aboard travellers! I'm Maxwell O'Donnel, your captain." Maxwell tipped his hat in greeting. "It is a pleasure indeed to have lovely company on the ride. We've allocated a spot for you on the second level. It seems we've got a couple travellers with us this go around. Meals are served on the lower deck in the mess hall, or up on the deck should the weather be favourable. We are a bit of a hybrid here, mostly cargo but a few folks such as yourselves."

"Thank you captain." Duncan said bowing to the man, he spotted the stairs leading down below deck and soon the group was walking through the narrow hall and down to the front of the ship where their rooms were."

As always with Duncan, meeting was a flurry of activity. He even nudged her closer to Hugh, and Adelaide blushed madly. Hugh took her hand in his and greeted her softly. Before she could respond Duncan had swept the group up onto the Starchaser. They greeted the captain and then were lead down to their rooms. One for the girls and one for the boys.

"Thank you, Captain O'Donnell." Adelaide curtsied for him as he left them. She wished to be alone with Hugh, even for a moment, but couldn't bring herself to ask. What would she say? It wasn't like they were courting, she had no excuse. Fausta linked her arm through Duncan's and said brightly.

"We will be going to exploring the ship! Check the rooms for us, yes?" Without another word, she and Duncan almost seemed to skip away, cackling gleefully. Adelaide blinked for a moment, then let out a breathy laugh. Those two always seemed to know when to make an exit--though she supposed that the pair knew exactly what they were doing. Adelaide opened the door to her cabin and said

"Goodness! It's so small!" The walls and floor wee of a rich wood panelling, a small porthole looking out into the waves. The bed was built into the right side of the room, just big enough for two--though barely. On the other wall was a small desk space hollowed out and a chest of drawers. "It's rather cozy though, I suppose." She continued, moving across the room to peer out of the round window. The ship jerked under a heady wave, and Addy yelped as she was thrown backward into Hugh's chest.
~

Fausta lead Duncan away and back up to the main deck, breathing in the salty air. "So, I am thinking of something evil." She told him. "Two, actually." They made their way to the port bow and watched the bustling around the docks. Fausta leaned on the rail and looked over at Duncan, wisps of dark hair framing her face. "The first is being lessons for you, signor. I am wanting a way to be speaking to you without interference, yes?" She looked him up and down, struck once more by what a truly handsome man he was.

Casual clothes seemed to highlight his electric energy, the sun warming his cheeks and the breeze ruffling his hair. "The second is being that we should get Addy and Hugh to be sharing a room. What do you think?" She gave him a playful smirk, her lace covered fingers dancing up his forearm and to his shoulder as she came round. Dramatically, she swooned over into his arms, barely containing her laugh. "After all, we cannot spend a single night apart, no? My beautiful english lover..." She traced his jawline with a finger, then finally broke out into laughter in his arms.

Last edited:
Hugh followed Adelaide, not noticing that Duncan and Fausta had not joined them. Even below deck Hugh could smell the salt of the sea and it brought back memories of a different time. When they found what would be Adelaide's room Hugh followed Adelaide inside and closed the door behind him. It was certainly a cramped space with barely enough room for the furniture let alone themselves. Hugh was peering around and gave a low noise of agreement to Adelaide's comment. A wave hit the docked ship then and Hugh's sea legs kicked right back in, he braced where he needed to instinctively just as Adelaide knocked back into him. Grunting, Hugh's arms moved up to catch her and steady. His arms stayed around her once they were still and his head dropped to nuzzle the spot behind her ear.

"You'll get your sea legs in no time. However I would be happy to catch you any time you need." He teased, a low chuckle emanating from him. His lips pressed to her neck then, his teeth lightly scraping against her skin. "You look beautiful today." He said softly.

~

Duncan followed Fausta and when she turned to speak to him it was clear she had a scheme, his eyes lit with interest then and he listened to both of the plots. He liked the idea of learning a new language and eagerly nodded. Duncan had always had a love for languages and had tried to pick up french before it was frowned upon by his fellow soldiers.

"I agree, I think visiting Italy and throwing myself into the language would be a wonderful way to learn." Duncan was ecstatic at the idea and so it took him a moment to understand Fausta's next idea. By that time her body fell into his arms. Duncan, willing to play along held her tight and bowed deeply, dipping Fausta low before bringing her back up. They did not separate and she reached out to touch his face. Duncan felt hot sparks move over his skin where she touched him.

"I would die if I had to sleep another day apart from you." He said dramatically, loving every idea that beautiful mind of hers came up with. "I will warn you though. I snore." He winked and pressed a soft kiss to her nose before he released her and made for the stairs right away. "Let us break the news to the happy couple my love!" Duncan moved swiftly down the stairs with Fausta hot on his tail. They made their way down the narrow hall of the ship until they found what would now be Hugh and Adelaide's room. Duncan didn't think to knock but instead barged in and stopped short when he saw the couple embracing.

"Well now." Duncan said a bark of laughter coming from him. He stepped aside so Fausta could see. Smirking at the couple Duncan crossed his arms over his chest as Hugh pulled away from Adelaide awkwardly, his face a deep shade of crimson.

"What do you want, brother?" Hugh asked, he didn't seemed to know what to do with his hands.

"We've come to share the happy news dear man! It seems love is everywhere." Duncan wrapped his arms around Fausta in a big bear hug. "I cannot be separated from this woman, this amazing wonderful woman. The light of my life. I must say." Duncan squeezed Fausta tight and did his best to keep his thoughts away from how nice she felt against him. How soft her hair was against his skin. "I do not think you two would mind if my love and I shacked up in the other room?" Duncan asked Hugh and Adelaide. Hugh's mouth opened but not a sound left his lips.

Adelaide gasped softly as Hugh's teeth grazed over her skin in his kiss. She shivered in his arms, and blushed rose at his comment. "Why thank you, angel." She murmured, turning in his arms to face him. Before she could say another word, Duncan and Fausta barged into the room. Duncan seemed to smirk at them, and Hugh dropped his embrace, moving away from her quickly with a blush on his cheeks. Adelaide averted her eyes, a dark feeling tugging at her heart.

They weren't courting. She reminded herself. Of course Hugh would release her while in company. But he looked almost...ashamed that they had been caught together. Anxiety began to bubble up in her chest. Was he ashamed of being with her? Being seen with her? But all her worrying was pushed aside by Duncan and Fausta's news. Adelaide rushed to her friend and embraced her tightly, the two women laughing in merriment.

"Oh, my dear, how wonderful! It's been too long since you had a proper suitor."

"Grazie!" Fausta said as they released each other. She brushed some of her long hair away from her face and looked to Duncan with adoring eyes. "He is truly being a wonderful man. There is no thing that I am not liking about him." Adelaide smiled happily, and moved to embrace Duncan. When she pulled away, she said

"Dearest Duncan, I am so thrilled for you! I think my lovely Fausta will be good for your heart." She kissed him on each cheek. Adelaide turned, but found Hugh staring at them with an open mouth, almost like a dead fish. Duncan's question registered with her, then, and though she blushed Adelaide replied. "Why, yes, of course. I would not deny you a bed with your lover." She gave Hugh a meaningful look. "If it's alright with Hugh, of course." The man continued to look embarrassed and a little dazed, and Adelaide was overcome with self-consciousness. "I-If you'll excuse me, I need a little air." Touching the stone on her neck, she excused herself from the room, feeling anxiety overwhelm her again.
~

Fausta laughed joyfully as Duncan raced down the stairs, loving every moment alongside him. It had been too long since she had a real partner in crime. Duncan was a perfect fit. They burst into the room and Duncan laughed heartily, moving to let her see the other couple in an embrace. They broke apart, both looking flustered. Duncan swept her up into a hug and without thinking she nuzzled into his neck with a happy hum.

The warmth of his body felt wonderful against hers, and the smell of his cologne was foreign, but sweet. She pulled away as Adelaide ran to her, and laughed. Giving Duncan a gentle, genuine smile, she said. "Grazie!" Looking at him with great affection, she continued. "He is truly being a wonderful man. There is no thing that I am not liking about him." Adelaide squealed in delight and came to embrace her 'lover' Hugh looked like he was going to be seasick. Adelaide agreed to switch rooms readily, but Hugh's hesitation remained.

Fausta could feel Addy's energy change, and she excused herself from the room hurriedly. Fausta quirked a brow and looked from Duncan to Hugh pointedly. She moved closer and said softly in his ear "You be talking some sense into him, yes? I will go for the controlling damage with Addy." She kissed his cheek tenderly, as lovers do, leaving a bloom of red upon his white cheek as she turned and followed the other woman.

At the announcement of Duncan and Fausta Hugh found he was even more dumbfounded, what on earth was happening? Adelaide was chattering away with the happy new couple and he could not seem to make his brain function, he knew he wanted to be around Adelaide, touch her, spend time with her, but there was no marriage in their future. Of that he was certain. He assumed he was beinfgkind by hiding it away from prying eyes and potential suitors, through the idea of her with another man made his ears ring with anger. Adelaide was agreeing to them sharing the rooms differently but Hugh was to caught up in his own whirlwind of emotions, he only came back to earth when she excused herself from the room. Blinking in confusion he made a start for the door but Fausta beat him too it. The door shut and Hugh ran a worried hand through his hair.

"You seem a little worse for wear brother." Duncan said stepping closer to Hugh. Hugh's eyes darted to Duncan's face and he snorted a little when he saw the red mark.

"Here." Said Hugh digging out a handkerchief and handing it to Duncan. Duncan took it and wiped away the mark and tossed the cloth at Hugh's head.

"You're being rather irksome Hugh, poor Addy can't have her emotions torn like this. You can't be one with with her and then ashamed the next." Duncan stepped back as he spoke and sank onto the bed. Hugh took the handkerchief from his head and ran the fabric through his fingers as Duncan spoke. "Have some decorum brother, this is a romantic trip! Sweep that woman off her feet. No one will shame you for it. Rather with all this love in the air I feel as if our trip might be better off for it. These nights are sea are rather lonely as I'm sure you remember."

"Hush Duncan." Hugh grumbled, but his brothers words rang true. This was not the time nor the place for him to get in his head about everything. His hand moved up to the pendant that rest against his heart. Hugh held tight to the stone and seemed to beat under his fingers.

"Apologise to her, and spend the rest of this voyage making it up to her." Duncan stood then and gave his brother a small shove. "Or else I will throw you over board. Are we clear?"

"Alright." Hugh paused and gave Duncan a small smile. "Thanks."

~

Duncan rolled his eyes heavenward at his brothers antics, how was he going to get it through that thick skull that Hugh was not his father. He would not become a terrible man just because he got married. Sighing, Duncan knew he and Fausta had a lot of meddling on their hands. Without it, it seemed the two were doomed to fail. Duncan wondered if perhaps the both of them had to meet in the middle. Hugh with his hardened heart and Adelaide with hers being entirely too soft. His thoughts were interrupted when the tolling of the bell came from above deck and the shouts that followed after meant the ship was ready to cast off. Above them came the patter of feet running over the deck as they ran to their stations to unfurl the sails or loosen some knots.

"Lets take a look shall we?" Duncan said. The two brothers made their way above deck and moved to the rail. They leaned down and watched as the dock slowly separated from the hull. The dark black blue of the water lapped up against the ship. The wind caught their sails and within minutes they were in the bay and turning the Starchaser to the wind, the white billowy sails stretching as they were filled. Duncan cheered and jumped up on the balls of his feet a few times. Joy filled him as it truly hit him they were on an adventure.

Adelaide made it up onto the deck and was leaning against the railing when Fausta found her. She was not crying, though her eyes ached from the effort. Fausta wrapped an arm around her waist and leaned her head upon Adelaide's shoulder. She didn't speak. Adelaide let out a shaking sigh and leaned her cheek atop Fausta's head, the soft curls tickling her skin.

"I just wish I knew what he wanted from me." She said softly. Fausta squeezed Addy's hip comfortingly. "If he will not court me, what am I to him? Truly? Was I reckless by spending the night with him? I know Hugh is no rake, but..." She looked out onto the ocean, the deep shining waves so similar in shade to his eyes. "I don't think that night meant to him what it meant to me." She confessed. Adelaide pressed the heels of her palms into her eyes, forcing the tears back. "Am I asking too much? His heart is so weary, so hurt. I want to make him happy, Fausta. Being with him brings me so much joy--and when I see him smile, there is nothing in the world that shines brighter. But I can't...I can't stay in this in-between space where we are. It hurts me too much. Is that selfish of me?"

Fausta sighed, standing up and taking Adelaide into her arms. She tucked the woman's head into her own breast and spoke quietly. "Oh, mi amor....Men are silly, fragile things. I am thinking that Hugh is not knowing what he wants from you, either. As you say, he is hurting. That will take much time to recover from, even with your helping. You must be staying patient." She pulled away a little and kissed Adelaide's forehead, wiping away the red mark with her sleeve after. They both giggled a little. "But it is not right of him to be hurting you either. You two must be finding balance." She stressed. "It is not being selfish of you to want to heal. You have been hurting for many years, too. I am not sure that he is thinking of that, of how it can be echoing before. Tell him. Speak openly and you will see. He does care for you, mi amor. I am thinking he is just scared."

Adelaide sniffed and nodded. The women embraced once more, and Adelaide could feel the warm crystal pulse against her throat--almost alive. Yes. She thought We will get through this.

~

The ship set sail and the crew cheered, the crowd on the docks all excitedly waving as they pushed off. The sails hit the wind and the birds cried. It took Fausta and Addy some minutes to reach the poop deck, where the boys were observing the start of their grand adventure. When they came round the corner, the two were giggling madly, Adelaide holding onto Fausta with a white-knuckled grip as she stumbled and slid every which way. The moving ship was still new to her, her legs felt like jelly.

Fausta looked up and met Duncan's eyes, giving him a knowing look. The waves crashed around them, the salty air thick and lively. The crew scuttled about, stopping to salute the men and bowing with hats off to the women. Before they could reach the boys, Fausta had an idea. She flashed Duncan her signature devil's grin and the nest time the ship rocked, she let go of Adelaide. "Oh no!" She cried, as Adelaide yelped in fear, tumbling into the arms of a buff deck hand. The man laughed, holding onto Adelaide with one arm and the railing with the other, steadying them both.

"Aye, careful there lass." He said, his voice thick with a scottish brogue. Adelaide turned bright red, stuttering. "O-Oh I'm s-s-so sorry, sir! Forgive me!" The man looked down and laughed again, giving her a wolfish grin.

"Nay, it's not a problem. Call me Thomas." He winked "All the bonny lasses do."

Hugh turned at the sound of the female laughter and saw the two women. It was clear Adelaide was not used to the open sea. His eyes were caught on her and so he missed the smile that Duncan and Fausta exchanged. Hugh's heart jumped as Adelaide was let go off and fell into the arms of a ship's hand. Hugh started forward but was caught on the shoulder by his brother. Duncan held him there as the two exchanged words. Hugh glared back at his brother and shoved his shoulder out of Duncan's grip and went to meet Adelaide.

"Are you alright Adelaide?" Hugh asked, his arms instinctively reaching out to steady her. Adelaide stood now between the two men, dwarfed by they size of them. "Thank you sir for catching her." Hugh said then remembering his manners. "Thomas was it?" Hugh reached out a hand to shake in greeting and Thomas took it. Hugh did his best to stop his irritation at the man and the way he smiled down at Adelaide.

"It was certainly a pleasure, m'eudail" Thomas said. "You'll get yer sea legs in no time lass." Thomas let go of her then and tipped his hat to them both before walking away. Hugh did not catch Thomas looking back however, the sailors eyes lingering over Adelaide. Hugh hesitated a moment before speaking, he knew he had to make things right with Adelaide but it was hard for the words to come.

"May I speak to you in private?" Hugh asked, he did not want an audience. His words were for her and for her alone. "I fear I have hurt you, and I would like to apologise" His eyes were downcast then, his cheeks turning a slight pink.

~

Duncan moved gracefully over the deck towards his friend and together they watched Hugh struggle. Duncan rolled his eyes and leaned down to whisper into Fausta's ear.

"This is really painful to watch. We've got a lot of work on our hands." His arms folded then and he shook his head at the sight of the two of them. "Helpless little things." He muttered, he glanced over to Fausta then and smiled at the sight of her. She looked like a woman in charge. It had been a bit of a sight to see her in men's clothing but after the moments shock Duncan had felt in his heart that it had made perfect sense. Her hair was dancing in the wind and he could not help but reaching out and catching a strand. The hair was soft under his finger tips.

"It seems those two wont need our nudging for a while, perhaps we might start our first lesson?" He asked, his eyes intense on hers.

Hugh came and took her from Thomas, though for a moment the air seemed to crackle with tension. Once the deck hand was on his way, Hugh spoke quietly, asking for privacy. Adelaide saw his tinted cheeks and took his hand in hers. "Yes, of course, Hugh." With a nod to Duncan and Fausta, he lead him back below decks into their room. Closing the door behind her, she had to steady herself against the frame as she ship rolled, then shakily made her way to the bed to sit. Giving a small exhale of relief, one hand coming up to touch the pendant round her neck.

"Hugh," She began quietly "Before you say anything, I would like to apologize as well." Adelaide sighed, taking off her hat and tucking an errant strand of hair behind her ear. "You have been through so much. I am doing my best to be patient, but obviously I must try harder. I never wish to push you or make you feel uncomfortable when we're together. That is the opposite of my intentions." She said earnestly, looking up into his eyes. "I'm afraid that sometimes...." She looked away again. "It is difficult." She shook her head, trying to clear it of the swirling emotions that ran about.

"A-are you... are you embarrassed to be seen with me, Hugh?" Her cheeks flushed red, but she could not stop herself from asking the question. Her heart was heavy with doubt and she found herself too afraid to meet his eyes again, fiddling with the pendant again in her nervousness.
~

Fausta snorted and laughed as the scene unfolded, gleefully reveling in chaos she had created. The couple descended again to be alone, and Duncan was once more beside her. She felt his eyes appraise her body before meeting her own, catching a wisp of hair that danced in the wind. His stare was hot and all consuming as she asked for a lesson.

Fausta shook herself from the depths of him and smiled cheekily. Leaning forward, so her lips ghosted over his skin, she whispered "But of course, mi amor." She leaned back, enjoying the breeze on her skin as she watched him. Pulling out a small, worn dictionary from her belt, she tossed it into Duncan's hands. "We can share, yes? I am finding it easiest to be memorizing phrases. Pick one and we can be talking a little." Fausta's black-brown eyes met his, her relaxed body language and intense stare suggesting that she wished to do something other than talk. None the less, she waited for him to begin, acting as if she could't feel the tension between them.

They were below the decks and tucked safely away in their room. Hugh felt his shoulders relax at the sight of her. She brought him calm, even when the rest of the world confused him, when his own heart could not make up its mind. He listened as Adelaide opened her heart to him and he felt the small ache in his chest beat hard. His made a strangled noise of sadness at her question of embarrassment.

"No!" He rushed to her then, taking up the space between them with a couple steps. There was no hesitation now as he cupped her face in his hands and looked into her eyes. "I am not embarrassed by you. The fault is all my own." His eyes were glossy then, pain filling them as his own words rang true in his heart. "You have brought me such joy and I cannot help but think that you are too good for me. That I do not deserve this" His hand sank down and clenched the fabric of his shirt over his heart. His head sank, "I would not make a good husband... and I do not want to hurt your chances. But I can't seem to stay away from you. I can't stop touching you each time I see you. I can't stop the way my heart beats for you." Hugh hoped his words made sense, but he knew that even in his own mind now things did not seem clear.

"I'm afraid I am not worthy of you dear Adelaide."

~

Duncan's eyes closed as Fausta leaned in closer and his breath washed warm over him. She tossed him a book then and Duncan opened it to peer over the different phrases. He leaned back against the ships railing and once he found one he looked up to see her. Duncan could almost swear that the way she looked at him was more than a friendly stare. His breath hitched a little and his mouth twitched in a smile. He found himself sliding down the rail a bit to strand closer to her. Wanting to test the waters he leaned closely towards her as she had done.

"How you do say 'You amaze me?'" He asked softly.

Adelaide was taken aback by Hugh, his actions first swift and bold, then meek and broken. He hung his head in shame and she felt her heart clench, the pendant around her neck hot against her skin. With one gloved hand, gently, she grasped his chin and lifted his head. Their eyes met and within Adelaide's green depths there was an intensity she had never shown before. "Never speak of the man I love like that." She whispered fiercely, a fire in her voice. Adelaide leaned forward and kissed him, once, her lips lingering on his just to taste him. When she pulled away, Adelaide continued in the same tone.

"Stop that, Hugh. Stop letting who your father was burden your heart. He is not you. Your father would not have come to the defense of a woman he'd met not twenty minutes before. Your father would not comfort a weeping woman at his feet. Your father would not beat a woman's abuser in front of all of fine society to see. You did that, Hugh. You did all of that. You are not your father." She cupped his face in both hands, searching his eyes. "You are kind hearted, and gentle. You are funny and brilliant and have the most resilient soul I've ever seen. You are handsome and strong willed and have only the most tender hand when you touch me." She guided his head to her chest, resting his ear above her heart. It was beating like a war drum, fast and hard.

"Do you hear that, Hugh?" She asked "My heart beats for you. Every hour. Every moment." Adelaide sighed. "I have no other suitors, Hugh. I will never have any. I am too damaged for any 'proper' man to salvage. That is how I have been treated." She raised his head again to meet her eyes. "That is what I was told, again and again and again. I believed it, too. Until you came. Hugh, you came and treated my kindly, you touch me with a gentleness I never hoped to know. You tell me things, things I still struggle to believe, about myself. But I know you would never lie to me. You have made me feel worthy of love, Hugh." She kissed his nose. "And I would never lie to you. So, if you care for me, you will have no choice but to believe what I have to say."

"You are worthy." She said firmly. "You are worthy of every moment--every smile, every laugh--every drop of happiness you feel. You are nothing less than deserving of it. Do you hear me?" Adelaide kissed his mouth softly, and pulled away. Finally, finally, she smiled at him. "For the record, I think you would be a perfect husband. But--" She continued "Why don't we forget that? Why don't we just court each other and be together. Nothing more."
~

Fausta shivered as his breath hit her neck, biting her lip. Meeting his eyes, she moved her face closer, so close their lips were almost touching. "Mi stupisci." She responded in a breathy whisper. When Fausta spoke in Italian, it was a very different voice. It flowed smoothly, like a river or fine wine. She sounded elegant and strong--sure of herself. Without breaking eye contact, she spoke again, in Italian.

"Mi odieresti se ti baciassi?" The desire in her voice was clear, it came out in a sultry purr, rolling from her tongue easily.

She changed before him then, becoming a sweet protector of his heart. Her voice strong and clear making Hugh realise she believed every word she spoke. That notion comforted him some, her lips did the rest and he sank into her. She had more words for him then, affirmations of his deeds and his soul. He could feel the tears close to spilling over and his eyes closed as she kissed him one last time. His arms came around her then, holding her tight to him, letting her strength take over him.

"I would like to court you very much." Hugh confessed. "I want to make you happy Adelaide. Just as you do for me." He was comforted by the simple idea, of the two of them just being together. No expectations. Just two souls that seemed to resonate together. The ship rocked gently under their feet and Hugh just held on to her. He could not seem to let himself go. His head lowered and he captured her mouth for another long kiss. It felt so right, the way they moved together. After a long while Hugh lifted his head, it was clear he was comforted and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Well dear Adelaide. I'm sorry to have started this trip out on such a hiccup, but I promise we shall have a splendid time from now on. I actually brought a book or two from my library. Some of my favourite poems. I had hoped to read them to you."

~

The space between them was almost gone. Duncan could see clearly now the desire in her eyes and he was certain she could see the same in his. She whispered the Italian to him and he did his best to repeat it back to her, but she was certainly doing an excellent job of distracting him.

"Mi stupisci." He whispered. She said something else and while he did not understand the words the meaning felt clear. His mouth curved in a smile and his eyes dropped to her lips. "Dearest friend, I hope you mean what I think you mean." He murmured before he kissed her. It was soft and brief, a light touch of lip. Duncan moved only slightly away, retreating back to the distance that they had been at previously. His eyes searched hers, hoping he had guessed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back