• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Bronze Locket

Hugh peer over his cards and his heart pounded slightly at the immediate good hand he held. His face remained neutral however and he looked up to see how everyone else fared. Duncan seemed a bit flustered at the words Fasuta had spoken to him but he could not see if the cards were good or bad.

"I will bet two." Hugh said upping the ante. He felt good about his chances.

"I will match." Said Duncan, the tone of Duncan's voice had Hugh pausing, there was a decent amount of confidence in his voice.

~

Duncan made a mental note to return the favour to Fausta for all the teasing. He liked the idea of her being just as tense as he was. For now though he was focused on his hand. A rather good one. They shuffled around their cards and made adjustments where necessary.

"I feel like you have a good hand Hugh." Duncan said, resting the cards against his chin as he looked at Hugh with suspicious eyes.

"It would probably be wise if you folded." Hugh said, his voice clearly full of amusement.

"And how do the ladies fare?" Duncan said after laughing.

Adelaide laughed as Duncan and Hugh spoke, almost teasing each other. The air was full of affection and calm, she enjoyed seeing the men at ease. At Duncan's query, Adelaide sighed. "I fold." She announced, laying her cards face down on the table. Her hand was rather dismal, though she supposed that was beginners luck. Adelaide rested one hand on Hugh's thigh as she smiled at the merriment, fanning herself with the other.
~

Fausta clicked her tongue, seeing the brothers spar with words and observing her own hand, she made a noise of frustration. "Bah!" Fausta threw down her cards and grumbled "I must be folding as well. What is this garbage you are dealing me, huh? On purpose, I think." She stuck her tongue out at Duncan and folded her arms, sitting back to watch. It would be interesting to see what the brothers requested of each other, she mused.

Hugh watched Duncan carefully, weighing his options. After the women folded it felt like the pressure was on him. Fausta accused his brother of an unfair hand and it made Duncan laugh. Duncan's eyes were clear though and Hugh could feel in his heart there was perhaps little chance for him, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

"Lets reveal then." Hugh said. He laid out his cards revealing a four of a kind and felt quite pleased with himself. He looked up to see Duncan hesitate before a smile bloomed over his face and he revealed his hand to be a straight flush. "Dammit." Hugh cursed lightly and pushed the cards away. He laughed at Duncan who seemed to be preening like a peacock. "So two of my own favours and One of Addy's for you then." Hugh said relenting, he knew Duncan had played well.

~

"It would seem so!" Duncan said. He gathered up the cards then and slid them into his coat pocket for their use again later. As he did so a bell rang out on the ship notifying the crew that supper was ready to be served below deck. "Shall we?" Duncan asked as he rose and offered a hand to Fausta. "I am quite hungry after all of today's activities." He winked at Fausta and tucked her hand into the crook of his arm. The high of the win had his spirits high as he led the group down to the belly of the ship, where a simple meal of soup and bread with wine was being served.

Adelaide laughed as Hugh and Duncan finished the game. As the group stood and began to migrate to the dining hall, she wrapped her arms around one of his and looked up at Hugh with shining eyes. "Thank you for the wonderful day, angel." She said exuberant. "What a great way to start our adventure." They sat at the long, plain tables and at the simple but tasty meal, chattering idly. "I think I'm actually getting used to the ship a bit."

Indeed, Adelaide had been more steady with her movements since that afternoon, though she still held on to Hugh's arm, given the opportunity. They spoke rather late into the night, and when the Italian born crew heard that there was a Ricci on board, Adelaide took Hugh and made their leave. The couple walked back to their cabin. Adelaide reapplied salve and bandages to her feet, then slipped into her long satin nightgown. She did so, almost shyly, nervous for Hugh to witness her body once more. She took down her hair and sat on the edge of the bed running a brush through the long locks, a pink blush remaining firmly on her cheeks, and her eyes avoiding Hugh's.

"What shall we do tomorrow?" She asked him idly, placing the brush down and touching the necklace's ribbon. She was suddenly afraid to remove it before him.
~

Fausta laughed at Duncan's little jest, elbowing him slightly as they lead the way down. The group ate and made merry for many hours, though soon enough she found herself in the midst of many men's attention. They chattered at her in Italian, begging for information on her family, her autograph, her hand in marriage, even. Fausta sighed and found her mood quite soured, pulling Duncan up abruptly and marching him back out onto the deck, muttering angrily in her mother tongue.

The ship rocked gently and the moon peeked in and out from the clouds, bathing the otherwise clear night in moments of shadow. Fausta took down her hair and shook it out, leaning against the rail on her elbows as she watched the water. Sighing heavily, she peered over her shoulder at Duncan. "Be forgiving me, amore." She pleaded softly. "I cannot stand when men are swallowing me whole for my family name. I am feeling....slimy. Like a prize they wish to be winning."

The food and company were wonderful and soon with all the crew surrounding them did Adelaide lead Hugh to the safety of their own room. As Adelaide worked on tending to her feet Hugh stripped out of his clothes down to his breeches. He had done his best to keep things natural and calm with her, he had no wish to frighten her or to make her uncomfortable. But she just looked so lovely there, the rose blush and the way the gown hung off of her. His stomach tightened and he followed the impulse that jumped into his mind. He walked slowly to the bed and climbed on and situated himself behind her. His hand ran up her back slowly and gently until it reached the base of her neck. He took the hairbrush from her then and carefully brushed it over the honey blonde of her hair. It was a soothing motion for him and he found another lock of hair to take the brush through.

"I think tomorrow it would be lovely to sleep in. Other than that, I suppose it is a bit of waiting game until we reach Italy. There are books to read and other games we could play. But truly I am not sure. Perhaps we could make a point of meeting the other travellers that Captain Maxwell spoke of." Hugh said. "Is there anything that you would fancy doing tomorrow?"

~

Duncan was never a jealous man, and when Fausta was surrounded by adoring fans and potential suitors he drank his wine and sat back to watch. He knew she could handle it and would ask for help if needed. He did his best to not laugh to loudly when one darning man dropped to his knees and begged her for her hand in marriage. He watched her and could see that the attentions were not welcomed at this time. When she came marching towards him he stood and raised his glass to the men and finished his drink before he was hauled off.

The night air was cool and and Duncan lifted his head to see the small stars that poked out from the clouds. He spotted a few constellations he knew and waited peacefully while Fausta collected herself. She was leaning against the rail and when she let out a long breath he looked down to see her. The look on her face made Duncan want to comfort her, with a small noise of sympathy he went to stand next to her and bumped his shoulder into hers.

"No need to be sorry. I knew you could handle it, but I certainly agree that you were quite crowded there. It is hard when people see only what they want to when it comes to our souls and worth." He reached out and ran a finger over her arm and inspected the finger after. "You certainly don't feel slimy. You held you own in there." He leaned with her then and looked out onto the waves. "Should another situation arise I would be happy to divert their attentions, if you wish."

Adelaide leaned back into his touch, closing her eyes and sighing softly. Hugh brushing her hair made Adelaide feel...safe. Strange as it may sound. The action was full of a gentle intimacy that eased her heart. Slowly, Adelaide was able to draw the necklace from her throat, revealing the scars to him again. She hummed a little as he spoke, and collected her thoughts. "Those all sound lovely, angel." She replied softly, one of her hands coming back to rest gently on Hugh's thigh as he worked. "I think I should like to meet the other travelers, to hear tales of other places would be wonderful."

Her bare fingers squeezed his leg gently. "And I think sleeping in is a splendid idea. Today was rather wearing, even though it was enjoyable." Her blush glowed scarlet and crept down to her neck as she continued. "I admit...I'm quite pleased to be sharing a bed with you again. F-forgive me if that's too forward..." The boat rocked gently, helping calm her a little, along with HUgh's rhythmic motions. "Perhaps we could pen a song together?" She suggested "Something to memorialize our very first big adventure together."
~

Fausta laughed dryly as Duncan did his little test. Fausta leaned against his shoulder, her head cradled in the crook of his neck. "Bah." She replied with a lazy wave of her hand. "Do not be troubling yourself. The men who crowd are weak. They are taking safety in numbers to be rash. We should be paying them no mind at all." Fausta sighed softly, enjoying the quiet moment with him. "You are always having a way of making me smile, amore." She murmured.

Fausta stood up and turned Duncan towards her, wrapping her arms around his neck and enveloping his mouth in a long kiss. It was softer than her others--if only a little. Almost a thank you, it seemed. She tangled her hand into his soft hair and made a small noise of pleasure when they parted. Resting her forehead to his, she continued. "How is it being that you taste of such joy, dearest Duncan?"

Hugh continued to brush through Adelaide's hair and listened to her ideas for the next day. At the idea of penning a song he perked up a little intrigued by the idea. He let the brush glide through her hair one last time and then set it down. He let his fingers slide down through the locks of her hair enjoying how smooth it felt.

"That's a splendid idea. Certainly something we could do. If I remember correctly there is a piano aboard in the library. We could work there." Hugh pulled away then and put away the brush so it was out of their way and settled back into the sheets. He drew Adelaide next to him and snuggled close into her. He smelt her familiar scent of flowers and magic and closed his eyes. The bed was certainly not the most comfortable thing, but with her next to him it was perfect.

"I do sleep better with you next to me." Hugh said softly. "You ease my heart, you were not too forward with your confession." Hugh smiled then and shifted a bit to get a bit more comfortable. "Courting you, and just being with you has made my life that much sweeter." He draped his arm over her then, resting it on the swell of her hip.

~

Fausta leaned in close to Duncan and he enjoyed the closeness that seemed to come so easily for the both of them. He had never been concerned with sharing too much around her, or having to tone down his personality. She spoke kindly of him and the joy he brought her, Duncan's heart swelled in happiness at the words and he met her halfway when she wrapped her arms around him and leaned in for a kiss. It was slow and sensuous, soft passion that felt comforting. Her fingers dove into his hair and he made a low noise when they drew apart.

"I was about to ask you the same." Duncan breathed, his hands resting along the low of her back. "You taste of joy, pleasure and power. Mi stupici." He sighed happily then and pulled away from her and grabbed her hand. "Come, I must learn more Italian tonight. Let us retire to our quarters."

Hugh agreed with her idea of creating a song together, and Adelaide made a happy noise, excited. He drew her into him and they wrapped around each other--their bodies fitting together like pieces of a puzzle. She buried herself into his chest, sighing happily as the great, soft thumping of his heart pulsed beside her ear. How wonderful, how enchanting to feel the life of him beneath her. His arm rested upon her hip and Hugh whispered such sweet, lovely words to her then. Adelaide almost burst into tears, then. She wrapped her arms around him and spoke quietly.

"H-Hugh... I cannot even begin to tell you how happy those words make me. Being with you, around you, has brought such peace and joy into my life. I never thought I could be this happy."

Adelaide pressed light kisses to the hollow of his throat, the taste of his skin sweet, his scent enveloping her in a soft, familiar comfort. Everything else fell away, the rocking of the ship and the creak of the wood. The sound of the waves and the thumping of feet above them. Hugh had a miraculous way of making the whole world vanish when they were together.
~

Fausta laughed as Duncan demanded another lesson. She lingered on the words he had spoken as they made their way back to the bedroom, a small smile on her face. The two set about getting ready for bed. Fausta stripped off her boots and pants, peeling off her corset with a soft groan. She left Duncan's shirt on as she sat down onto the bed, beginning to braid her hair.

"Amore, what are you wanting to learn tonight?" She asked, her dark even devouring him. The boat's smooth motion was comforting beneath her feet. Fausta loved to travel, she felt free and alive while she did. Much like how she felt with Duncan. He let her be wild and loud and loved every moment. She never had to hide herself. It was refreshing.

Just watching him undress filled her with a warm, happy feeling. It felt right, to be crawling into bed beside him.

They were tangled together, a small nest to hold their hearts safe. Hugh enjoyed the way Adelaide seemed to be able to give herself fully to her emotions. From the strain in her voice hecould make out that she her heart was full. She was kissing him then pressing her lips to his neck, then down to his collar bone and along the tendon in his neck. Hugh sighed happily and his hand moved in light circles on her hip and along her side.

"Sweet Adelaide, if you keep that up I fear we may not sleep for a while more." Hugh said playfully as she kissed him another time. His hand slid up then to catch her chin and he met her there. His lips covered her own and he took his time kissing her peacefully. It was slow, and tender, there was no reason to rush, and every opportunity for Hugh to enjoy this sweet woman at his side. She tasted of the wine that had been served at dinner and the sea. Hugh found the combination intoxicating and leaned into the moment.

~

Back in the room Duncan got ready for bed, Fausta proved to be quicker than him and sat on the bed braiding her hair. She asked him what words he wish to know next and Duncan's smile flashed as the idea came to him immediately. When he was in his bed clothes, which consisted of loose fitting pants and open shirt he went over to her and knelt on the ground in front of her. He reached out and caught the hand that had just finished the braid.

"A hand. What term may I use." He kissed her palm and then moved to her braid. "And this..." He leaned up to kiss the locks of hair woven together. Moving to the next his thumb ran over her bottom lip and he smiled his wicked smile at her. "And these?"

Adelaide giggled happily at Hugh's playful warning, but could not respond before he gently caught her lips with his. She sighed at the contact, gentle and lovely, and leaned into the action. She felt warm and safe and almost drunk on his affections. For many moments, they remained tangled together, simply enjoying the kiss. When they pulled apart, Adelaide gripped the loose collar of his shirt, her nails gently scraping against his bare skin.

With a laugh, she replied "Angel, aren't we sleeping in tomorrow, anyway?" Adelaide kissed him once more, then shifted so their bodies were pressed together, chest to chest. "I've missed you." She murmured between kisses, wrapping her arms around his neck and drawing even closer. She was suddenly insatiable, Adelaide felt her need to be close to him burn in her heart. "You are so handsome, Hugh...I cannot possibly help myself..."
~

Fausta laughed as Duncan knelt before her and demanded the names of many things. His actions were sweet and somehow alluring at the same time. His wicked smile made her weak in the best of ways, and Fausta dropped onto the floor before him, their knees brushing and chests touching as they breathed. Taking his hand, Fausta kissed each finger. Locking eyes with him as she did, she purred "Dito." Moving to his palm, she kissed it slowly. "Palmo della mano."

Moving to his hair, she took a lock between her fingers, placing gentle kisses there. "Il capelli." Finally, she came back and faced him, so close their noses were touching. Placing a single finger on his lips, she finished in a breathy whisper. "Labbra. What are you being planning, amore?" She quirked a brow at him with a knowing, crooked smile.

The scrape of hr nails against his chest sent shivers through him. She drew closer then and wrapped her arms around his neck. He chuckled at her confession that she could not help herself and found he quite agreed. With strong arms he turned them so he was laying on his back and she lay over him, the weight of her a comforting hug. His hands moved down over her letting his fingers feel the smooth of her skin as they dipped under the fabric of her night gown.

"Adelaide." her name came out of his lips, the faintest whisper. A barest moment after, while he kissed her, the Starchaser dipped low suddenly as a wave rolled under the ship. Their foreheads bumped at the sudden motion. Hugh broke out into laughter and reached up to soothe Adelaide's forehead. "Are you alright?" He asked chuckling. Another waved rolled over them, sending them lurching down and back up again. Hugh held tightly onto Adelaide ensuring that she would not fall off of him.

~

Fausta joined Duncan on the floor and she took his hand. He could feel the warmth emanating from her, and each finger that she kissed sent sparks down his arm and towards his rapidly beating heart. He repeated after her, determined to learn just as much as he wanted to seduce. Her smile was full of just as much wicked joy as his was, she returned her eyes to his then and they were a breath apart. He spoke again after her and laughed softly when she asked him about his plans.

"Truly I don't know I have a scheme at this moment." He said softly. His hands reaching up to cup her face. "I find when it comes to you my heart seems to lead." His thumbs brushed along the soft raise of her cheekbone. The ship lurched then, and with a small sound of surprise the two were sent tumbling back onto the floor.

Adelaide laughed as they suddenly collided, and Hugh softly rubbed her skin. Before she could answer, the ship rocked and they were sent tumbling about the bed. Hugh wrapped her up into his arms and she couldn't contain her giggles, falling into quite a fit as they were tossed about. Adelaide buried her face into Hugh's chest as she laughed herself into tears.

"I-I-I'm so s-s-sorry!" She stuttered out, breathless. "I-I-I c-can't seem t-to s-s-s-top!" She began to hiccup and finally started to calm down a little, a mess inside his arms. Joy swelled in her chest like the rolling tides and despite her aching chest, Adelaide had never felt more happy.
~

Suddenly, they lurched forward, sliding across the wooden floor in a tangle of limbs. With a soft thud, they hit the wall, and Fausta propped herself up on an elbow, peering over at him. "Are you alright, amore?" She asked, rubbing a sore spot on her cheek. Before he could answer or they could even begin to sit up, they ship rolled again and the couple slid to the other side of the room. Fausta gave a barking laugh and scrambled to her knees once they stopped, quickly hauling Duncan onto the bed and collapsing upon him.

"This may be a little better, yes?"

Her laughter ran loud and Hugh swore he had heard a laugh from the other room where Fausta and Duncan lay. He was pleased to know that they too were finding the moment funny. There was little they could do but hold on as the ship dipped again. Above them Hugh could hear the men's feet padding as they rushed to secure lines and loosen the sails. While the sea was certainly rough Hugh could tell from experience that there shouldn't be a storm to worry about. With a little should of laughter Hugh flipped them again, and now Adelaide lay under him. He kept his weight on his elbows so as not to crush her.

"What sweet laughter." He murmured, a grin moving over his features. He bent to kiss a salty tear from her cheek and moved lower still to nuzzle her neck, the stubble of his jaw tickling her neck. "I must hear more." With one hand Hugh found Adelaide's ribs and ran his fingers along them, testing if she was ticklish there.

~

Duncan blinked away the shock of being thrown against the wall and chuckled. "I've survived!" He said happily as the ship lowered and Duncan felt his body slide against the wood floors to the other side of the room. Once they stabilized Duncan found himself being dragged towards the bed. Laughing he got to his feet and wrapped his arms around Fausta as they fell into the sheets. "Much better indeed." Duncan agreed, he pulled the sheets over them and tucked the both of them in.

"I wonder if sleep will even be possible with these waves being what they are." Duncan looked up at Fuasta enjoying the weight of her on him. The way her legs tangled with his. Her hair fell down in a pool on his shoulder and Duncan reached up to tuck it behind her ear. "Amore." He said repeating the sweet words she had for him. "What a lovely word that is, like the start of a song." He told her as the ship rolled once more beneath them.

Hugh's stubble grazed against her skin, tickling her neck and drawing out a small gasp. Suddenly, his fingers were dancing over her ribs, and Adelaide yelped, her laughter returning tenfold. "N-n-no!! H-h-ugh!!! Aahahahahahahaha..." She dissolved into another fit, tears trickling down her cheeks and her hair haloed around her head upon the pillow. Halfheartedly, she tried to fight him off, pushing at his chest and wiggling her feet. "P-p-p-please!! Mercy!" She begged, her stomach aching along with her chest.

The ship rolled again, and Hugh was tipped over just enough for Adelaide to scramble out from underneath him. She fell to the floor, wiping the tears from her eyes with the heels of her palms and struggling to catch her breath. "What a cruel streak you have, sir!" Adelaide joked, blinking rapidly as the tears finally ceased.
~

Duncan wrapped them up together, a tangle of limbs and warmth. Fausta sighed happily, her eyes shining as he looked up at her. This face he had now...it was different from before. Almost adoring. Fausta cupped his face in both her hands and kissed every inch, smiling uncontrollably. She found that she quite adored him, too. Laughter came through the wall from the next room over, and that made her chuckle a bit. Once she pulled away, Fausta stroked his cheeks with her thumbs, his skin soft.

"It is the starting of many songs." She agreed. "When you hear my mother sing....It feels like listening to being in love." She said softly.

She came alive with laughter under him and Hugh found he could not stop his own from bubbling out. She wiggled under him and that only spurred him on more. When he was pushed back by another roll of the ship Adelaide escaped him and found a spot on the floor to recover. She looked beautiful, Hugh settled back to admire her. The flush of her cheeks the olive eyes filled with flecks of gold that shone with her laughter. Her hair was a mess from their struggles but Hugh found her more breathtaking now than he had before. Before him was a woman filled with such joy and light, and he adored her for it.

"Cruel am I?" Said Hugh pleasantly. He rose to reach out for her and pulled her back into the bed. Trapping her beneath him he grinned widely at her, he found he could not help himself anymore and lowered his mouth to capture hers. He adjusted as the ship dipped but did not pull away from her for a long moment, They were inches apart and his eyes found hers in the dark of the night. A silent question wondering he could continue.

~

Fausta was glowing, even as the night grew darker it was impossible not to see the joy radiating off her. She spoke of her mothers song and Duncan smiled. "I very much look forward to hearing it. Truly I feel as if I will never forget this trip. Do you have a favourite song that you mother sings?" He asked her. The ship was lulling him to closer to sleep with the steady rocking and Duncan's eyes slipped closed. His hands lazily moved over her thighs and up towards the small of her back. Tracing the scars she found but never lingering. She was soft and warm and her scent filled his nose. Duncan knew that tonight he would dream of nothing but her.

Hugh easily drew her back into his embrace, but this time he was the gentle, passionate man that she loved. His kiss was long and sweet, and he was skilled enough to move easily along with the ship so they remained uninterrupted. When at last he parted from her, Adelaide sighed, melting under his affections. It mattered not that they were swallowed by the darkness, Adelaide found the collar of his soft shirt and pulled her lover back down to her. She kissed him sweetly, greedily--like she could never get enough of how his lips tasted. Between kisses she breathed only his name; the sound full of passion.
~

Duncan spoke and she could feel his limbs begin to heavy. Fausta laughed, sliding down next to him and resting her head on his shoulder. She wrapped her arm over his torso and replied softly. "I too, will never forget this. We will be starting soon, but I am already loving each moment with you." She kissed his temple, and smiled. "All of the songs my mother has sung, I think her lullaby is still being my favorite."

Taking a breath Fausta began to sing. While it was not a siren song like Adelaide's voice, it was filled with a quiet affection and that alone made it beautiful.

"Fai la ninna, fai la nanna con'sto figlio non c'è più pace..."

Hugh sank down deep into her embrace. Their breaths mingled between kisses and the air grew heavy with their passion. A long while later Hugh's frame fell away from Adelaide, the both of them spent from their lovemaking. His chest heaving Hugh gathered Adelaide in his arms and felt his eyes fall shut. Their day had been a full one and their hearts even more so, and so the two fell asleep in their soft embrace not to be disturbed but anymore rolling waves or the soft sounds of the water against the hull of the ship.

~

Duncan hummed thoughtfully at Fausta's words and when she began to sing the lullaby of her mothers Duncan found he could not resist sleep anymore. His hands stilled on her body and his breaths grew deep and even. After the song was finished the couple curled around each other and fell into a peaceful sleep. Duncan dreamed of rolling hills and tumbling down into a pasture of roses, Fausta at his side, laughing all the while.

The morning came with a cheery blue sky and puffy white clouds from the west. Above deck the ship was already wide awake, the course of the ship being adjusted and the passengers mulling about looking at the great expanse of blue around them. Duncan awoke when someone with particularly heavy footsteps walked over their room. His grumbled softly at the noise and shifted, feeling Fausta next to him. He paused for a moment looking at the woman sleeping peacefully next to him, her hair spread over the pillow and down her back. Her soft lips parted as she slept. The days previous events hit him and a slow and easy smile moved over his face. He considered not waking her but found the idea to tempting, and so he bent down and bit lightly on her shoulder.

Adelaide woke early the next morning, careful not to disturb her lover. She slipped out of bed and sat down at the cramped desk, scribbling furiously into a notebook she had. An idea for a tune had struck her so suddenly that she had to write down the little snippet. Once the fever broke, she sighed and returned to Hugh's arms. It was much, much later in the morning when she woke again, Hugh's sleeping figure captured her gaze. Gently, with a fond smile, Adelaide ran her fingers through his long hair. In a soft, sing-song voice she cooed.

"How is it that you are more magnificent each time I gaze upon you, angel?" The sunlight streaming through the porthole illuminated him, he almost glowed. The patter of footsteps above them and the soft roar of the waves finally brought her fully awake, though she remained fixated on Hugh. "Good morning..."
~

Fausta woke to a light nip on her exposed shoulder, and a throaty rasp escaped her. She peeled one eye open and looked up at Duncan's gentle smirk. His hair was mussed from sleep and pillow marks lined his cheek. She giggled softly and adjusted her head so both her eyes were free from the confines of the pillow. "<Good morning, my love.>" She murmured groggily. "<What has you in such a playful mood? Careful, or I'll bite back.>" Just after waking, she had a hard time speaking in English.

Reaching out one hand, lazily, she drew her fingers along his neck, rested on his shoulder. His skin was warm and soft, even in her bleary state she could count every freckle. "<Did you sleep well, dearest Duncan?>"

Hugh nestled further into the pillow as he was gently roused from his sleep. He breathed in deeply and blinked his eyes open only to close them again at the sun beams that fell upon his face. His nose crinkled at the shock of light and he groaned against the noises of the ship. Adelaide's voice brought him out of his sleep fully and his lips turned up at her greeting.

"Good morning Adelaide." His voice was thick and low with sleep. He grumbled like a bear coming out of hibernation and slowly let his eyes open and adjust to the light so he could look down upon her. She was covered in the morning glow and he could not help the kiss he laid upon her lips. He pulled away at the sound of a bell ringing on the ship and sighed. "Looks like breakfast is served. Let's get dressed and see what we can scrounge up." He gave Adelaide a soft forehead kiss before crawling out of bed and towards his trunk of clothes.

~

Fausta woke quickly and Duncan gave her a lazy grin. She moved and then spoke softly to him in Italian. His brain worked to discern what she said and when she reached out for him another phrase on her lips. The way her voice lifted at the end made him infer it was a question and he considered how to answer.

"Good morning to you as well." He figured that was a safe bet to start with. "I promise to tell no one that you snore. And yes it is in fact morning." He gave her a hopeful smile. "How did I do?" He asked as the bell rang signaling breakfast. "We must work more on this most beautiful language today, and based on the noises from the next room we may not have to meddle too much." Duncan's eyes flashed at the prospect of another fun day and he leapt out of the bed ready to conquer the day.

Adelaide smiled happily as he woke and kissed her. When the breakfast bell rang above them, he left the bed and began to dress. Adelaide followed suit, wearing a simply patterned dress and flat shoes. She twisted her hair up into a messy bun and placed her sun hat on top, quickly dusting her face with a little make up and tying on her choker. Once she was ready, the two linked arms and made their way upwards, the late morning sun hot and bright. Snapping open her fan, Adelaide gave herself a breeze while they walked to the mess hall, greeting the deck hands as they passed.

Once the two settled down at a table, Adelaide peered at Hugh with a soft smile. "What do you think? Will our companions be joining us this morning?" She placed her hand over his.
~

Fausta laughed, cooing a little at him as he bounced about energetically. She took her time, rising slowly and stretching before shaking herself awake. "Forgive me, the mornings are often being hard for my english. I am not fully waking, you know?" Fausta dressed in men's clothing again, freeing her hair and attaching her bag to her hip. She wore only lip rouge--of a petal pink color that morning. "I am happy to be giving you more lessons, signor." She replied, walked to him as he finished dressing and kissing his cheek. Her fingers tugged at the back of his trousers playfully and she laughed.

"I am also being happy to reward you for all of that hard work, yes?"

"I'm sure the other two will join us soon." Hugh said easily, his hand turning over to hold onto Adelaide's. In the mess hall Hugh looked around and spotted a few men properly dressed and immediately took them to be other passengers, upon further inspection it seemed to Hugh that Adelaide and Fausta were quite possibly the only women on the Starchaser. Hugh thanked a cook when he brought over two plates filled with potatoes and some ham. Realizing that he was quite hungry Hugh took up his cutlery and began to dig in.

~

Duncan felt the pull of the back of his pants and laughed at the teasing in her words. He turned on his heel then, a dark look of mischief in his eye. He stepped forward and boxed Fausta against the door to their room, one hand on the panel next to her head. He tilted her chin up and leaned a breath away from her. Despite them being rather close in height, Duncan felt rather big in the moment, he was not sure what had overcome him, but with all her teasing he found he wanted to join in on her game.

"I very much look forward to these rewards." There was a joyful lilt in his words, a stark contrast to the commanding stance he held. He thought to kiss her and made a motion to do so, but caught himself at the last moment and reached down to push the door open. He caught Fausta before she fell back and barked out a laugh. "Come then amore!" His hand found hers and their fingers laced as they walked towards the mess hall. Once in there they found Adelaide and Hugh tucking into their meals.

"Hello my dear friends." Duncan said happily, sinking into the seat next to Adelaide and throwing a loving arm over her shoulder.

As Adelaide and Hugh were eating, Duncan and Fausta arrived, looking happy. The other couple sat and Adelaide greeted them warmly. "It was rather bumpy last night, yes? I nearly fell off the bed!" She joked.

Fausta laughed, running her hand through her hair and picking up her fork. "Si, we did a little bit of sliding around, as well." She gave her friend a wink. She gave Duncan a sharp smile, mentally making sure that she would get back at him for his devious little trick earlier. The group ate and chatted, once they were finished they went their separate ways.

Adelaide took Hugh up to the tallest deck, leaning over the railing a bit and smiling into the wind. She looked at him over her shoulder with shining eyes, bright with joy. "I understand now why the sea is so romantic." She mused softly, turning to face him. "Being out here with you....it feels so lovely.."
~

Fausta and Duncan made their way to one of the sun soaked benches on the main deck. Once settled, she began to walk him through some sentences in Italian, leaning forward with a laugh to press kisses to his cheeks when he did well. His energy was intoxicating, even now. Being with him felt like dancing, even when she was standing still. "<Oh, my love..>" Fausta murmured "<How you brighten up every moment.>"

Hugh laughed with the others at the talk of the ships rolling motions and thought back to their time in the bed and knew that would certainly not be the last time on the ship that he and Adelaide were close. They finished their meal and Hugh followed Adelaide up to the deck and out to gaze over the sea. Adelaide spoke of the sea being romantic and Hugh smiled remembering another old tale spoken by his mother. He came closer to her then and told her tales of Sirens and those poor sailors that joined them for their songs were too tempting.

Their time on the boat over the next few days proved to be most peaceful and loving. Hugh and Adelaide spent their time writing a song and then another. At the news of the songs being created Maxwell had asked the couple if they would play for the crew one evening. And so the old piano in the library was wheeled out the the deck and Duncan took a break from his language lessons to play for the crew while Adelaide sang. They played new songs and a few favorites of the crew. Together Duncan and Adelaide learned a few sea shanties. By the final night the crew and the travelers had all become quite close, promising to see each other out should they be near one another next time.

The morning where the shores of Italy came on the horizon was rather hectic, crew prepared to dock and passengers packed and did their best to stay out of the way as the Starchaser made her way. Bells were rang in the harbor to notify the town of the coming in ship and soon the gangplank was extended and Hugh and Adelaide could make their way onto new soil. Hugh held tightly onto Adelaide's hand, his own excitement filling him. Genoa was spread out before them, buildings of stucco and different architecture. Already it felt so foreign and exciting.

~

Duncan lead the charge off the ship and stood with Fausta and the rest of the group as they waited for their luggage to be brought out to them. A carriage had been hailed and would take them the rest of the way to the Ricci home. On their time in the ship Duncan had made great strides towards his learning, with breaks taken to tease Fausta he had found the trip quite illuminating. He leaned over to Fausta on the deck and spoke softly in her ear, the words a little less broken and with more confident flow.

"<You look beautiful my love.>" He enjoyed the musicality of the words on his tongue. He straightened when the final piece of their luggage was brought out and set carefully on the carriage. Duncan thanked the man and turned to gesture everyone into the carriage for the next leg of their adventure.

Adelaide was almost vibrating with excitement. After the peaceful days aboard the ship, she was more than ready for their grand adventure to begin. Finally, they set foot upon Genoa's soil and she squealed with excitement, bouncing on the balls of her feet and sweeping Hugh up into a hug. The boys helped pack the carriage, and soon the group was on the way. Adelaide couldn't help gasping at the beautiful city as it rolled past on their ride. She pointed out things excitedly for a while, hanging onto Hugh's arm. Once she calmed a bit, Adelaide turned to the other couple with shining eyes.

"Oh, Fausta! It is more incredible than I ever imagined! I am so thrilled to finally be meeting your family." She squeezed Hugh's bicep excitedly, all aflutter in her seat. The pendant around her neck caught the light beautifully, sending slivers of sun shining around the carriage.
~

Fausta laughed and kissed Duncan on the cheek at his sweet words. "<Thank you, darling. You've gotten quite good!>" She had dressed splendidly for the occasion, indeed. Donning a yellow silk dress with embroidered details, her long hair done up in an intricate braid. Delicate gold jewelry adored her neck and arms, along with a full face of makeup. She looked almost...unlike herself. The group boarded the carriage and with one last wave to the Starchaser, they were off. Addy was gasping and giggling like a little girl, and Hugh seemed starstruck at the sight. It warmed her heart to see them happy together, again.

She leaned her head on Duncan's shoulder as they rode, closing her eyes for a brief moment. Fausta had been unable to sleep the previous night. Her homecoming was both exciting and a little nerve wracking. After about a half hour, they arrived at the edge of the city. Upon a cliff, overlooking the sea, sat the Ricci Family's sprawling villa. The iron gates swung open and the carriage began up the long gravel path. Once they reached the front doors, a group of loud, well-looking people piled out.

First to the door was an almost comically short man, with thick, curly black hair and a thin mustache. He wore a smart outfit, a black tailcoat with dark grey pants and shined shoes. His cravat had an intricate design on it, and seemed to be a dark purple. He flung open the doors and hauled Fausta out, grabbing her up into a tight bear hug. "<My love!>" He proclaimed loudly, tears of joy pricking his eyes. "<Oh, my love, she is home!! Our beautiful Fausta!>" Fausta laughed, hugging her father back. As the other shuffled out of the carriage, the rest of the family came forward. A well groomed man who looked like a taller version of the small man came forward to shake Duncan and Hugh's hands.

"Hello." He greeted politely, his nearly black eyes stoic. "I am being Ezio, the eldest brother here. It is good to meet my sister's friends." Another man, who looked similar but had blue eyes and was dressed more casually, came up after, shaking their hands with a bow.

"And I am Gabriele!! Welcome, to our home!" Both men the proceeded to kiss Adelaide on both cheeks, which left her quite flustered. She curtsied back. An almost impossibly tall woman approached them, wearing a skin tight dress made entirely of black lace. She looked identical to Fausta, save for the electric blue eyes and blood red lips. She smiled at them kindly, dipping into a curtsey and offering her hand.

"Hello," She greeted melodically, almost as if she was singing. "I am Bria, Fausta's mother. I am being so pleased to have such fine people stay with us." The boys had moved on to greet Fausta, who was in a whirlwind conversation in italian. A young man hung back at the door, watching the goings on with bright, curious blue eyes.

Hugh was enamored not only by the city, with its houses that seemed almost stacked on one another and its harmony with nature, but also by he dearest Adelaide. She was a lively travel companion pointing out the sights and little things that caught her eye. She held onto him excitedly and Hugh bent to look at each thing she pointed out to him. As they drew to the edge of the city along the waters edge and up a cliff side did they come upon the villa. Hugh's eyes widened at the sight and both he and Duncan made small noises of awe at the home.

"What a dream." He murmured to himself. When the carriage came to a halt in front of the doors, a shorter man rushed forward and opened the doors to pull Fausta out. They embraced tightly and Hugh found himself rather confused, judging by the mans age this was most certainly Fausta's father. Hugh had never seen a father react this way to their kin. His thoughts were pulled away when Fausta's brothers came up and introduced themselves.

"A pleasure to meet you both. Ezio, Gabriele" Hugh said.

"Thank you so much for hosting us." Duncan said after shaking their hands as well. Hugh nodded in agreement and looked towards the striking woman who approached them next. It was clear from where Fausta got her looks, Bria dipped into a curtsy and introduced herself. Both the brothers dipped low in a bow and took her hand to give it a kiss one after the other.

"I am very appreciative that we could stay here. Fausta has been an incredible friend to us in England." Hugh said, manners slipping back into place. "You have a lovely home."

~

After greeting Bria, Duncan let his gaze flow between Fausta and her mother. The similarities between the two were incredible. Though Fausta's eyes were different, and the curve of her mouth, one that he had grown to know quite well over the past week was different too. He smiled and did his best to listen to Fausta as she spoke with her brothers. It was a fast language and he caught only a few words. "Home, ship, travel." She looked happy, when she had dressed that morning on the ship Duncan had found himself rather surprised at her chosen attire. It wasn't what he had expected from her but he could not deny that she looked a vision. Though there was a part of him that missed the easy style she had worn on the ship.

Deciding to join her, Duncan walked over and gave a bright smile to her brothers. "I must admit the stories Fausta told me of you and your home have certainly been painted correctly."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back