• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Bronze Locket

The morning of the wedding they had bid their future wives farewell for the few hours they were to be apart. Together the men had dressed themselves, talking happily about what the future held in store for them. Duncan had dressed in his military uniform, the gleam of his buttons and medals shone happily in the morning sun. Hugh had also settled on the uniform, his cheeks a deep red and he recalled Adelaide's interest in seeing him in the garb. Duncan brushed some invisible lint off Hugh's shoulder as he regarded himself in the looking glass.

"You look... like a husband." Duncan struggled for a moment trying to find the right words to compliment his little brother. Over the time they had reconnected Duncan had taken great pleasure in looking out For Hugh, there was something the fulfilled a deep sense within him. If he were to reflect further Duncan might've reached the conclusion he was proud to do the work his father had failed at, and his relationship with Hugh was the only reason he felt half as confident as he did about the prospect of his own child. However this was not the day for such deep introspection, what mattered on this day was the love they had cultivated.

Hugh turned away from the mirror and chuckled at his brothers words. "As do you dear brother." They looked at one another for a long moment and then moved as one, their arms wrapping around one another in a brotherly embrace.

"I am proud of you Hugh." Duncan whispered. They let go of one another, both ignoring the fact that their eyes were a little glassy.

~

The Montgomery brothers stood proudly at the base of the arch, heavy with décor and small chains that held up candles. The snow fell lightly as the song began signaling the start of the wedding. Hugh's breath caught at the sight of Adelaide and he felt the warm flood of emotions through his entire being. She was simply splendid, a vision and she was on her way to pledge herself to him. He could not take his gaze off of her as he quietly sent up his thanks to the universe for this gift of her. As the women drew nearer Hugh reached out his hand, his fingers curling around Adelaide's hand. Unable to resist he lifted her knuckles to his mouth.

She smelled like the first day they met, the signature scent of the Lovelocke brand. Peony and lavender, the spring scent, a new and fresh beginning. Hugh respected tradition and left the veil where it was, knowing to leave it for their first kiss as husband and wife.

~

Duncan on the the other hand was not as patient as Hugh. Fausta's teasing smile flashed at him from under her veil and he found he could wait no longer. He took the hand she offered and when they stood at their respective spot before the priest he interrupted the start of the sermon by lifting her veil and kissing her deeply before any vows or words could be exchanged. There was a rise of cheers from the Ricci family and the laughter of the staff.

"Apologies." Duncan said after he was satisfied, "I simply could not wait. Please proceed." He beamed his most charming smile at the priest and the elderly man chuckled before lifting his hands to begin.

"We are gathered here today, under the eyes of family, friends and God to bind these couples together..." He went on with his sermon, giving advice, sharing jokes and then finally the moment came. The exchange of vows and rings. "Duncan why don't you start us off." The priest said gesturing for Duncan to begin. Being the man he was Duncan had no use for prepared speeches, so he took Fausta's hands and spoke from the heart.

"Fausta, I knew from the moment I laid eyes on you that my life was forever changed. I cannot thank you enough for being my partner on every adventure and scheme. You have my heart, my soul and I can think of nothing better than spending the rest of my life showing you how much you mean to me. I certainly liked you from the moment we had our first dance, but I knew I loved you the moment you selflessly protected your dearest friend later that night. You've taught me about loyalty, love and passion. I promise to say yes to every idea no matter how crazy, I vow to play you music on the sad days. I will work to see you smile and laugh each and every day. I vow this and more, forevermore." Duncan finished, his eyes gleaming with emotion and joy.

"And Hugh, your vows please." The priest asked, turning his attention to the younger brother.

~

Hugh nodded and with a serious set of his brow he pulled out a parchment from his breast pocket and unfolded it. Taking a shaky breath and looking up at Adelaide's sweet face once more Hugh let his heart speak.

"Before meeting you Adelaide, I was an angry bitter man. Since meeting you I've come to realize that the love within me matches so well with yours. You've taught me I am more than my past, and capable of bettering myself. Henceforth I vow to keep myself open to you, to shoulder all the challenges we face. I vow to love you, to laugh with you, to care for you on the tough days. Each day I find myself marveling that I would be worthy of a love like yours, I'm still learning of course." He said sheepishly. "You mean more to me than you could possibly know, I know I can always count on your gentle heart and wise words. Together I am certain we can weather any storm. I love you Adelaide... I always will." Finishing, Hugh cleared his throat and tucked away the paper. He turned his gaze to Adelaide then a peaceful look shifted over his face.

Adelaide was still shaking as Hugh took her hand, but he kissed her knuckles and she was comforted by the now familiar action. The preist's sermon was beautiful, and Hugh's vows seemed to suck the air right out of her lungs. Tears dripped down from her eyes, and Adelaide gave a smile more radiant than the summer sun. It was her turn to speak. As she slipped the ring onto his finger, Adelaide took a deep breath. She had rehaersed the speech so many times in the latter days that it was almost easy.

"The meaning of your name, Hugh, is only three words long. Heart, mind and spirit. When I found it, I could not believe that a name could fit so aptly. For, you healed me, mind, heart and spirit. I call you my angel from heaven, because you appeared so miraculously in my life and used your own two hands to help me build up everything that I had lost. You became my strength when I had none, a shelter when I was weary, and a flame to illuminate all the possibilities I had never seen." She laughed through her tears, and squeezed his hand. "I told you I loved you the second day we met, and my love has only grown from then. You have given me a happiness I had never dared wish to know, and I swear to spend the rest of my life caring for you just as deeply as you have for me. I love you, Hugh, forever and always."
~

Adelaide had given a lovely speech, she and Hugh were both crying some by the end. The crowd gave a small cheer of approval as they joined hands, and Fausta smiled. She looked to Duncan, and her heart soared. Giving him a little wink, she began her own vows. Much like her husband, she simply spoke from her heart in that moment.

"Duncan, no, dearest Duncan is better. Because you have become the dearest person in my life in the time we have known each other. You accepted me for the way I am, and learned about me--and my family happily. That may not seem like much, but to me it is amazing. You are the first man to simply throw away my status, and learn me for who I am beneath. I love you, amore. I love that wicked, scheming smile, and your laugh that shakes the eves of the house. I love the strength you use to protect others, and I love the honesty you use to present yourself. Truly, there is no other lover for me, only you. And I could not have picked a better...father, for my children." Fausta placed his hands upon her belly, and her whole family broke out into cheers and cries of disbelief. There was no way to speak over them, so the Priest gave the signal and the couples embraced, kissing passionately as husband and wife.

Fausta pulled Duncan close after their kiss, and whispered in his ear. "<Mother divined this morning--we're having twins.>" She laughed as Duncan pulled away to look in her face for confirmation of her words.
~

After the ceremony, which burst into chaos at the announcement and the kiss, the couples lead the way back into the house. The whole lower level had been opened up for the party. Perseus left hurriedly as he could, but everyone else mingled about and made merry. The food was incredible, all hot and honey roasted to combat the settling chill and the wine flowing freely from goblet to goblet.

Then the sword-fight broke out. Rocco, Ezio and Gabriele against Duncan. Soon, however, he was joined by Paulo and Hugh, and the crowd parted to make room for the spectical.

Last edited:
The clash of swords meeting in a dangerous dance had the crowd enraptured. Fausta stood with Adelaide and the two women linked their fingers together as the Ricci's and Montgomery's put on quite the show. The men grunted as their blades locked, Ezio glared at Duncan who flashed his roguish smile before they broke apart to meet again. Hugh's eyes tracked Rocco's form and he did his best to step out of the way of the arching blade, twisting on his ankle to meet the next blow with a parry. Paulo and Gabriele seemed to be having a grand time adding in extra obstacles for the fighters to be wary of.

There was a switch as everyone traded off partners to face off new opponents, their shoes scuffing the floor, and the clang of steel echoing through the walls of the house. Duncan regarded Rocco, his breath coming out in soft pants, sweat dripped down his brow and he ignored the salty sting against his eyes, not wishing to take his eyes off his father in law.

"Excellent show... grandfather." Duncan said happily as their swords met once again. Rocco gracefully stepped away and then thrust forward once again his smile wide at the words.

"Oh my boy. What joy you've brought us this day, another addition." Rocco shouted happily.

"Two actually, two additions." Duncan said jovially lifting his arms to block a blow that never came. Blinking in surprise Duncan watched as the smaller rounded man took in the information and then laughed as Rocco threw his sword to the ground signaling the end of the fight. The man rushed forward and took Duncan's face in his hands, there were three loud kisses as both cheeks and his mouth were kissed by Rocco. Laughing the men embraced as the rest of the fighting ended around them.

~

Hugh shook the hands of his partners and opponents, his cheeks red with exertion. There was much celebrating from Rocco, Hugh's eyes widening as the news was announced to the crowd.

"Twins! Twins dearest Bria!" Rocco rushed to his daughter then gathering her up in a hug full of warmth and love. The crowd rushed forward to celebrate even more but Hugh found he was happy to remain where he was, gazing up the loved one around him. Adelaide caught sight of him and with a warm knowing smile she moved to stand next to her husband.

"We are going to have our hands full." Hugh said taking out a handkerchief to wipe his brow. Before he could complete the task however Adelaide snatched the cloth from his hands and lifted her hands to tend to him herself.

"Indeed." Adelaide agreed giggling as she finished up with the cloth, Hugh smiled warmly down at her and drew her closer.

"Kiss me wife, I love this joy in your eyes." Hugh said testing the word wife and finding he quite enjoyed it. Leaning down he pressed his lips to hers. It was a gentle kiss, but in how he lingered there was much promise for passion when they retired for the eve. "Are you ready to sing? I find myself most eager to listen." Hugh asked as he lifted his head and wrapped an arm around her waist.

~

As the snow fell around the happy home and the surrounding forest, the flakes seemed to swirl and dance around the trunks of the great trees. If one were to listen closely they might hear soft song that lilted and fell as gracefully as the snow itself. As night wore on the song grew deeper and intense, as elsewhere a woman chose to hide away a small bundle, and fleeing once it was tucked away. The murmurs of a child sleeping joining the tune.

The wedding had been a rousing success. So much so that both couples and the entire Ricci clan ended up staying the night at Ivydowns. The morning was a bustle--as the staff had to prepare for the incoming snowfall. The Riccis, saving Duncan, were all up early and eating at eight sharp, chattering away in rapid Italian. Fausta had kissed her new husband deeply, and roused him long enough to make love once more after their eventful night before leaving him to sleep. A satisfied smiled graced her lips as she thought of him waking, still drunk on her and terribly disheveled.

She spoke to her family about the children--her father was already attempting to purchase a house in the village. If there was none available, he was content to build his own. She was desperately attempting to dissuade him from doing so. They were also demanding a tour of the house and estate, as well as planning to redecorate the nursery in traditional Ricci style. The rest of her family was chiming in with their various opinions, all adding to the chaos of the early breakfast. A maid gave a small curtsy and slipped out with a tray of food, Fausta assumed that the other Montgomery couple was up and about as well.
~

They had gone to bed quite late, but Adelaide managed to rouse her dear husband by quarter to nine. He was a bundle of delighted smiles and breathless laughs. Seeing him so radiant in turn brought Adelaide more joy than she could speak of. They dressed and went to take their first meal in the small room between the kitchen and back doors--as they were not sufficantly awake to see their new in-laws just yet. Before they sat down, Adelaide opened the door for the dogs. Instead of the usual, lazy plod out as they did most mornings, the animals bolted from the house. Yelps and howls echoed behind them as they tore off in the direction of the woods lining the east. They only ever barked like that when there was something wrong. Maybe a maid lost her footing in the snow?

"Angel?" Adelaide called over her shoulder. He came to her as she was gathering up her skirts. "Come, quickly. Something's amiss." Without another word, she went out into the cold, her shows crunching quietly on the tin layer of snow carpeting the ground. The dogs were out of sight now, but the couple followed their tracks into the foliage. Adelaide traded her husband a wary look as the whining reached a fever pitch. They moved through the frosted foliage, to find Oberon and Tatiana curled up together on the ground around something. Breath fogging, Adelaide dropped her skirts and knelt before them. A sharp gasp and a strangled cry fell from her lips.

Hurridly, she scooped up the bundle of frayed rags and stood. In her arms lay a sleeping babe--pale and breathing shallowly. The child couldn't be more than a year old, small from undernourishment and sickly seeming. "Oh, poor darling!" She exclaimed "Hugh, quickly, we need to get inside and call the doctor!"

Hugh was humming happily as he set about stirring his tea as Adelaide let the dogs out as was their morning ritual, his humming ceased as Adelaide called out for him over her shoulder and rushed after the dogs. It was clear from her tone that something seemed amiss. He followed after her and they shared worried looks as the dogs noises could be heard from the dogs as they found the object of their distraction. They quickened their pace and when they came upon the dogs curling around an object on the ground Adelaide rushed forward.

The cry of distress from Adelaide had Hugh stepping forward ready to protect her, he came up short when he saw the child bundled up, its skin deathly pale. His heart thumped loudly in his chest as he immediately pulled off his jacket and placed it around the babe and Adelaide.

"I will send for him right away." He assured Adelaide. "Bring him in, I'll run ahead and make preparations." Seeing the way its lips were tinged slightly blue had Hugh running quickly back to the house as Adelaide carefully walked back with the precious bundle. Charles met him at the door, his breath fogging out in the morning air.

"Is everything alright sir?" The butler asked, peering over his shoulder looking for Adelaide.

"No, I'm afraid we discovered an abandoned child. Charles please send for a doctor right away. Ah Maggie." Hugh turned his attention to a maid who happened to be passing by. "I've need of you. We need water warmed and as many warm blankets that you can muster." Charles and Maggie both hopped to it and Hugh turned around to see Adelaide enter the house with the babe. "To the kitchen love, its warm there with all the fires." Hugh walked with Adelaide as they stepped inside and towards the kitchen doors.

The kitchen was rather quiet being manned only by Westwood's sweet cook, an elderly woman named Nora and her underling Eunice. At the arrival of group the two cooks rushed forward clucking over the small bundle. Adelaide unraveled the blanket and Hugh felt his heart clench at the shivers that shook the babes entire body. Maggie entered the kitchen then, a large pot of water ready to be warmed on the stoves fires, Charles entered after with towels and blankets promising that one of the stable boys was on Hellfire and rushing to town for the doctor.

"I'll make me mothers recipe for malnourished duckies. Worked wonders on my youngest brother, boy was stick thin upon arrival and a fat healthy boy in no time." Nora said softly, stepping away from the group to get to business.

~

Duncan was on top of the world, as he lay nestled and rumpled from his wife's ministrations and loving. How truly happy he was, letting out a long sigh Duncan moved to his back and looked up at the ceiling. What a change from a few years ago, he wondered what his mother would think of Fausta. He was certain his sweet gentle mother would have loved the fireball that had consumed him body and soul. He remembered her tight hugs and laughter so loud it didn't seem to suit her, and was certain her laughter would have been abundant at the previous days activities.

Lifting his hand to press a kiss to his fingers he blew it up to her and smiled. "Love you mother." He whispered out to the room. Unable to laze anymore Duncan got up and dressed casually, pulling a robe over his breeches and shirt. As he opened the door he could hear the ruckus of the Ricci family and his grin grew even wider. He was certain the Ricci family would be spending quite a bit of time with them and he looked forward to the insanity. With a song in his heart Duncan wandered over to the music room, finding a lute. He plucked a few notes from the strings and went off to find his family.

Adelaide murmured her thanks to each member of the staff as they jumped into action. She rolled up her sleeves and took command of the child as the basin was heated to lukewarm. The babe was taken from it's rags and handed to her. Gently, she half submerged the infant, who made a soft noise at the new sensation. Hugh was hovering in the background, worry clear upon his features.

"Shhh.." Adelaide cooed gently, scooping the water up and over the child as it fussed "I know, sweeting. Bare with me a little longer." Working with Maggie as the cooks made their meal, they warmed the child up slowly. After the baby stopped shivering, Adelaide dried her off gently, then wrapped her up in a bundle of blankets. "Nora, please bring the meal to us in the sun room when it's ready." Hugh, Adelaide and the maid moved to the new location, the dogs following behind. "Maggie, close the curtains please. Hugh, tend the fire, it's dying." They obeyed, and Adelaide sat in the chaise by the fireplace as her husband worked. With one hand, she began to untie her petticoat. Maggie came to assist, and soon Adelaide had lost the extraneous layers. Removing a few blankets from the bundle, Adelaide pressed the child to her bare chest, and the small being sighed happily at the contact, nuzzling into her bosom. It felt like the most natural thing in the world. Adelaide's heart swelled in her chest and she had to blink back tears from her eyes.

"Hugh..." She murmured "Even like this, she's beautiful. Who could leave such a thing out in the cold?" Her voice broke, a great sadness washing over her. "She's just a tiny little girl. She might even still be nursing. H-how.. how could they leave her there? It's too cruel.." Hugh came up and sat beside them, the dogs curling around the couple's feet. He hooked one arm around her waist, his thumb running soothing circles on her hip.
~

Duncan waltzed into the dining room, making no effort to make himself presentable, strumming on a lute. Gabriele laughed loudly, and stood to clap his new brother on the shoulder.

"Well well, it's good of you to finally join us! Sleep well?" Duncan laughed and gave him a wink, to which the room burst into cheers.

"Come, come sit!" Rocco gestured emphatically, and Duncan shot Fausta an apologetic look as he took a seat by Rocco instead of his wife. "Finish this argument for us, yes? I will buy a plot of land here and build a vacation villa. We can all come visit our grandchildren and be here to support the pregnancy, no? Does that not sound splendid?" He said eagerly.

Fausta rolled her eyes. "Papa, I told you when I brought him home! None of this! We must have our own family. How can Duncan run his business if you are constantly dueling and drinking and smoking? You are all so distracting!" A cry of dissaproval ran through the crowd, and they all began arguing again in Italian, voices raised in protest.

She was the picture of perfection, her chest bare to share the body heat with the small girl. Hugh could not help wanting to be a part of the scene as well and he moved forward to place his arms around his wife. Gazing down at the child nestled there he could feel the pendant on his chest pulsing with heat. Lifting a cautious hand he pondered the question Adelaide tearfully asked. His knuckles brushed down the soft skin of the babes cheek. The little girl murmured, shifting slightly and finding comfort next to the swell of Adelaide's breast.

"I don't know..." Hugh finally said unable to find any reason why such a beautiful girl would be abandoned. "She truly is perfect isn't she?" He said drawing closer still to Adelaide. His hand rested comfortably on her hip and he felt the same protective urge he felt for Adelaide as he gazed upon the small life held between them.

"Here now." Nora said interrupting the moment between them. She carried a bowl of mush that she promised Adelaide and Hugh were full of the good nutrients growing babes required. With kind grey eyes the elderly woman clucked and tisk'd over the child before leaving the bowl in Hugh's hand and wishing the couple well. "I must said the lot of you make the prettiest picture." The cook confessed before exiting the room.

"I know she seems quite comfortable but I think it best if we feed her a little. I am not sure when she was fed last, poor thing is far too skinny." Hugh said, anger flashing deep within him for the person who could commit such an atrocity. "We'll go slow." He promised the group lifting a small spoon with a small amount of the mush.

~

Amid the chaos Duncan was certain of one thing; the freedom Fausta had grown to value so much was at stake. He heard the cries of dismay at her refusal for new neighbours and he crossed his arms and worried his bottom lip with his teeth. It certainly would put a lot of the business pressure on Hugh if Rocco was indisposing his time, while Duncan certainly would prefer the actives that Rocco seemed to enjoy he knew he would not feel right leaving the brunt of the work to his little brother.

"Perhaps..." Duncan started letting his voice carry through the crowd, letting his captive audience quiet to listen to his idea. Unable to resist a little flair he plucked a few dramatic notes making Ezio roll his eyes. "I would think the Ricci family would not wish to be so inland. There are many agreeable plots in London or down south near the ports and business. They are but a day and a half ride away, is that not more agreeable?" Duncan questioned looking first to his wife for her reaction.

The child, upon smelling food, opened her eyes. Even dulled as they were, they were bright blue. She made a gurgling sound and squirmed in Adelaide's arms. Adelaide adjusted so that the child was sitting up, and Hugh gently fed her, spoonful after spoonful of the warm broth. She consumed almost the entire bowl in that sitting. Adelaide stood and paced the room, rocking the child until she burped. She returned to her husband's side and the baby fell asleep once more against her chest.

Adelaide looked over to Hugh with a soft smile. "She could be your daughter, angel. She has your eyes." Adelaide rocked back and forth gently and hummed for a while, a wordless little tune. "What are we going to do with her?" Adelaide asked, bewildered herself. Before he could answer, Charles rushed in with the town physician. The next half hour was a blur of tests and diagnoses and treatment plans. Charles had sent another envoy to town to get supplies for the child, and the doctor was set to visit in the next few days to give them more medicine and check up on the baby. After everyone had gone, Adelaide sighed heavily, exhausted from the early morning excitement. "I think I'll go fetch us some tea, angel." She murmured, and handed the bundle to her husband.

She returned some while later with a tea cart, and Found Hugh standing before the fire, staring down at the child in silence. It seemed a peaceful scene, with the snow gently falling outside the windows, and the lively chatter of the Ricci clan coming from down the hall. Adelaide closed the door behind her with a gentle click, seemingly waking Hugh from his thoughts. He looked up at her with the softest smile she'd ever seen. Pushing the cart over, Adelaide began to prepare the tea.

"What are you thinking, angel?"
~

Fausta breathed a sigh of relief as Duncan's suggestion was tossed around the room. She came to stand by him, wrapping her arm around his shoulder and pressing a kiss to his cheek. After a good half hour of debate, and a lot of calming from Bria, it was agreed that the second home could be in London. Rocco did look somewhat deflated, but it was offered to show the family around their new home and property, which brightened up the whole group.

Stepping out into the hall, Fausta let her lute bearing husband lead the way. "Where to, amour?"

"She has your eyes." The words seemed to repeat over and over in his mind as Hugh settled the child in his arms and drifted off towards the fire. The girl's cheeks had turned a rosy shade of pink from the bathing and meal and now her deep blue eyes drifted closed, her expression a sweet and peaceful one. He swayed gently waiting for her breathing to grow heavy with sleep. He could not be sure of how much time had passed when Adelaide returned to them with a cart laden with goodies. He chuckled at the question she posed him and let himself settle on the sofa the girl nestled against his chest.

"A great number of things." Hugh confessed. "As you say she has my eyes, but I see your smile in her. The same curve, just there." He lifted his hand to his wife as she drew nearer and once she placed the cup of tea next to him on the table he traced the similar curve of her cupids bow. "I find myself wishing we knew her name, would it be improper for us to name her? Seems such a shame for someone as sweet as her not to have a name." There was a long pause as Hugh drew up his nerve. "I thought of Eve, after my mother." He said the words quietly and with hope. As Adelaide finished preparing her own mug he drew her down next to him on the sofa so they both could peer over the sleeping child.

"I feel as if she is ours." Hugh's voice was soft, his confession only loud enough for his wife to hear.

~

Duncan's eyes were lit with amusement as the Ricci clan exploded out of the breakfast room and into the main hall of Ivydowns. He strummed a few notes and captured the attention of his new family.

"Follow me dear friends." Duncan said merrily leading the group down the hall and towards the kitchens, the maids and cooks blinked in surprise as the group was led past the gleaming counters and towards a slanted doorway that led down into the cellars. With a quirk of his brow Duncan threw open the doors and led the way down again, leading the family in to see a large selection of English wines. "I thought we might compare and declare Italian wines as the clear winner." Duncan said cheerfully handing a bottle to Rocco.

Adelaide wrapped her arms around her husband's shoulders as he confessed to her. She smiled, laughing softly and pressing a kiss to his cheek. "I feel the same, angel. A blessing given just to us." Hugh's face lit up brighter than a star at her words. Adelaide smiled again. "I'll have Charles fetch the lawyer tomorrow to draw up all the proper paperwork. And..." Adelaide looked into the child's peaceful face, her heart swelling. "I think Eve is an absolutely beautiful name, Hugh." Her husband beamed, and Oberon stood, putting his wet nose up to the child's cheek and sniffing loudly. His tail wagged, and the couple couldn't help but burst into laughter. "yes, my dear," Adelaide soothed, petting the soft black head before her "You did very well this morning, didn't you? I think you shall both be getting steak dinners tonight."

They relaxed together for a while as the babe slept, thinking of which room in Westwoods to turn to the nursery. An hour or two had passed before the commotion began.
~

Fausta lead the charge back up from the cellar, Duncan and Gabriel holding on to each other, tipsy and laughing uproariously. She decided to take them to the sun room, a little light would help them settle down before luncheon was served. Throwing the doors open with a bang, Fausta blinked in surprise as Hugh and Adelaide jumped up, startled. After a heartbeat of silence the shrill cry of a child pierced the room, and the Ricci clan jumped into action. They crowded the couple, speaking in rapid Italian and motioning to hold the babe.

Duncan stopped by Fausta at the door, leaning on her for support. They exchanged baffled looks. "You didn't give birth early, and not tell me, did you?" Her husband asked. Fausta rolled her eyes and punched him on the arm. He winced.

"<No, love. I am still with child. Why don't you ask your brother what's happening, eh?>"

Duncan rubbed the spot on his arm lightly before nodding his agreement with his wife, it was quite the sight to see the small child nestled into Adelaide arms, her arms waving in the air as she howled, the Ricci family surrounding them all eager to be of assistance to the child. Hugh and Adelaide both seemed quite overwhelmed with the sudden multitude of people around them. Taking pity on them Duncan began to weave through the concerned onlookers his gentle hand slowly ceasing the din around them. Reaching his brother and sister in law Duncan managed to bring peace to the group and knelt in front of Adelaide as she soothed the child.

"What have we here?" Duncan asked, "Goodness what a set of lungs on the poor thing." He added as Adelaide lifted the girl into the air after placing a towel over her shoulder and positioning the babe. Before Adelaide could lift her hand Duncan's was already there at the top of her back, patting gently. Their eyes caught and he smiled warmly at her. Since neither had answered his question he added a second thought. "This suits you."

"This morning the dogs discovered her all bundled up a little ways into the woods. Seemingly abandoned." Hugh told the group, at his words there came a number of outraged gasps from the Ricci family.

"A curse upon the heartless soul who would do such a thing." Ezio muttered as his wife lifted a soothing hand to his arm.

"Hear, hear." Gabriele joined in.

~

Hugh looked over the sea of compassionate faces and then centered back on his brother, his arm reaching out to circle his wife's hip. Eve's cry's began to lessen and the room was suddenly filled with a grunt of strain from the baby. The patting and position had done its work, a sound of flatulence cutting Eve's groan short. Duncan let out a roaring laugh and gave the little girl a few more pats before standing. Adelaide stood and moved to the table that had been set up in the corner, a bowl of water, clothes and fresh linens had been placed there. Bria went with her and the two women worked to clean up the little one.

"The doctor has been by and all seems to be on the mend. Eve shall be safe here." Hugh said, his eyes focused warmly towards the scene in the corner. Duncan let out a strangled noise of surprise and found he had to sit down.

"E- Eve...?" His voice came out a little strangled. Fausta was next to him in an instant, the concern evident by the little crease in her brow.

"Adelaide and I intend to raise her as our child." Hugh announced surprised to find his eyes were close to brimming over.

A wonderful and busy nine months passed since the wedding, and Eve's adoption. The Ricci's had begun building their London home, and sporadically visited. The Lovelocke clan sent congratulations on the child, but pursued no further contact. The shipping and clothing businesses were producing steady income, and in the warmth of early summer the couples gathered for tea. They settled in the back patio of Westwoods, the dogs running about in the yard happily. Duncan and Fausta had taken in a lovely tortoiseshell cat, who wandered between the properties as she pleased. They had named her Ophelia, deciding to keep the Shakspearean naming tradition. Duncan had even invited a painter that afternoon, to make a family portrait. He wished for two copies, one to hang above the mantle of each home. Even now, the man sat in the yard, sketching on his canvas and mixing colors.

Adelaide laughed loudly as Hugh swung Eve up into the air, her chubby limbs failing aimlessly as she giggled. Her husband spun in a circle, allowing their girl to feel flight in the summer breeze. Happiness swelled up within her at the sight, she felt as though she would burst at the seams. Adelaide stretched out her arms, motioning for him to give over the baby.

"Alright, angel, enough of that. You'll make her sick before too long! Besides, you promised to read it today." Hugh reluctantly handed over Eve--he had been glued her side almost more than his own wife's. Not that she was complaining. He was an incredible father, spoiling her with love and gifts as he pleased. Hugh huffed a little as he sat, and took a sip of tea before eyeing the journal before him. It was the one Adelaide had found in the apartment, turned shelter. They had been so busy with the baby that he had put off reading it for quite a while. Opening the book with one hand, he reached out with the other. Readjusting Eve on her lap, Adelaide took it, her ring glinting in the sun brilliantly. She squeezed his hand, letting Hugh know she was still by his side.
~

It had been a grueling birth-- nearly three days in labor with the both of them. Even now, a month later, Fausta was still recovering. But it was worth it, every second. The boy, John, looked just like his father. The same nose, the same eyes, even the same smile. And Duncan swore that the girl was the perfect image of Fausta. Diletta, they had named her. It meant 'beloved' in Italian, and it was the trust thing in the world. They loved the children both more than life itself, even with the late nights and tantrums. Ophelia wound between her legs, chirping happily. Fausta smiled, and removed one hand from Diletta to toss the creature a small bit of meat.

Diletta was nestled in her arms, nursing peacefully. Her heartbeat felt as Fausta's own. She looked over to Duncan, who was playing with John in the beautiful cradle they had received from Adelaide and Hugh. Duncan pulled ridiculous faces that made the child gurgle in delight as he rocked back and fourth gently.

"<You look more handsome now than the night we met, my love.>" She said, smiling so wide her face almost hurt. "How goes the planning for the hunting trip?" Fausta asked, in English "They should be arriving soon, so? Next week? Are you finished preparing everything? I can't wait to see them again, such wonderful losers they are."

Reaching down, Duncan cradled the small John in his arms cooing to the boy and pressing kisses to the tiny fingers that occasionally reached up to touch. He laughed at Fausta's compliment and twisted with John in his arms to flash his wife a brilliant smile.

"And you my goddess." Turning to kiss John on the cheek her spoke to his son, " There is nothing more beautiful than your mother, John. As for my hunting trip the men should be arriving within the next day or two. Earnest will have no complaints about our weapons this time. Landon has issued a prize must be won again this year and he hopes that you pick him to help you in what ever schemes you come up with this time. " He laughed and moved to help Fausta as they got ready to join Hugh and Adelaide for tea. Eve was always excited to see her cousins and the couple packed a few toys to bring over to the garden. With the assistance of Joseph the family was settled nicely at Westwoods for tea and company. Duncan was eager to hear the journal be read from as well when Hugh brought up Adelaide's find to him.

He found he was at peace with the notion of hearing his brothers words. Duncan hoped Hugh would find the comfort in them as well as his younger brother seemed a little nervous at looking through the journal. The summer day proved to be a most lovely day for such a reading, they sat around a table with Eve and the babies in bassinets that had been brought outside. Placing his hand on Fausta's knee he sat back and waited for his brother to begin.

~

"May 7th, I've chosen to start this journal midst the low din of canon rumbles and dying men that keep me awake this night. Nearby my brothers sleep soundly, the rest of our regiment as well it seems. During our meal time the conversation turned to those waiting for us back home and I found myself wishing of a family waiting for me. I wish my brothers had that as well, certainly Duncan has gathered his fair share of wanting woman eagerly awaiting his return, but quiet Hugh and I truly have no one but each other. Perhaps after our final deployment we might take a moment to find ourselves happiness and home.

My mind has conjured the images of the perfect brides for my brothers; Duncan with a woman whose fire and flare dances with his own. I would only wish my oldest brother upon the strongest woman for I fear his mannerisms might scare away those meeker than him. He is something to behold indeed my Duncan. Hugh's wife most of all must be patient, his boorish brain and self deprecation deserve a tender heart, perhaps she might heal him. As for my own woman, I think of someone who is all soft, fair hair and an even fairer smile. A joyful woman whose laugh is fills my heart. Perhaps she would enjoy doting gifts and searching through the markets with me. I found a most luxurious sofa before we set out to war. Some nights when I lay on my cot I imagine it's that plush sofa instead.

My candle grows short now, and it has been some time since I've heard the ring of the cannon. Tonight I rest, tomorrow we march on."

Hugh cleared his throat after he finished reading aloud the journal entry on the first page. His eyes looked glassy as he looked up at his family, into all the faces that had made such an impact on his life. With the small heat of the pendant over his heart Hugh knew he was home. Bending his head to look back down at the journal he turned the page and continued to read.

The end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back