• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Teamwork and Monster Taming in the World of Forces

MythyDW

Five Thousand Club
In this world, there are geological regions that each have unique ecosystems; flora and fauna, foodchains, the works. And then, there are the forces: Massive creatures, living embodiments of nature. Each force has an area of influence — which can overlap with another — and within this sphere the climate shifts dramatically. Endless rains, biting cold, blazing heat, and constant winds are some of the possibilities that a force may bring. The large flora and dangerous fauna of every region is always quick to change, to adapt to the prevailing force. Their features and abilities change to suit the weather.

Humanoids live in a single, massive walled city found at the center of the regional convergence. From there they can reach any region, but they are never touched by the forces. Most humanoids will never leave the city, and many won't see anything more than the district of their birth — so large is the city. But others will see it all: those known as Hunters. One does not choose to become a hunter, the path chooses them. It begins with an empathy beyond the normal for the wild creatures who also call the city home, those that are considered harmless enough to be called friendly. Eventually they will find their way to the Citadel, where they find the weapon that calls to them, and begin to train.

Hunters train so as to venture into the regions, to slay the huge, deadly monsters and carve materials from them and flora. The materials are used to create better gear, but also given to the city to keep everyone fed, clothed, and content. But to be a hunter is not only to slay. For on a hunter's first hunt, a monster will seek them out. Then begins a battle. Either the beast will submit to the hunter, or the hunter will die. Should the hunter survive, the beast will be their companion for life — only rarely in stables rather than by their side in the field or the wide streets of the city.

The players will be hunters: Newborn, about to venture into their first region where they will find and bond with their companion. From there, this team will do what is necessary to further the survival of the city.​

Yes!
My question would be, how about magic? And what is the technology level of the civilization?
+ Tuska Tuska

Currently using Monster Hunter as a major inspiration. So at the moment, the thought is no magic, though there's a good amount of mechanical skill involved.
For an example, have my main weapon from MHW: The Charge Blade!

+ Tuska Tuska

Currently using Monster Hunter as a major inspiration. So at the moment, the thought is no magic, though there's a good amount of mechanical skill involved.
For an example, have my main weapon from MHW: The Charge Blade!

So less magic and more improbable machinery. The sheer improbable size would be something I'd have to get used to but I do like trick weapons

I never play Monster Hunter so i dont know much about it. Is there gun? Airship? Or its more like regular medieval?

I never play Monster Hunter so i dont know much about it. Is there gun? Airship? Or its more like regular medieval?
Well, in the game that I know there are bowguns (see below), and there was one airship but it crashed

For this one, we can use the Bowguns as a type of weapon, and there's no airships. General tech level is above medieval, with improbably machinery, though is still fantasy.
If you want to see the other types of weapons that MHW had as examples (Including a non-gun bow!) then there's a playlist I'm gonna link right here.

Im 50/50 on this to be honest, the overall plot of hunting for the sake of the village is cool an all but just like MHW you need friends or a interesting story to grind killing shit to make better shit to kill bigger shit aha

I like the idea of finding your own palico in the form of whatever beast is about and worthy but story wise I wonder what's up apart from what I said before. I do like monster hunter so I'll probably join if we get enough people

NeonFlow NeonFlow

That's why it's a group RP! /joke

You do raise a good point. My idea had been that it was going to be semi-sandbox, so like I give you guys essentially a mission/objectives, and then the team works together on how to proceed. That would allow for exploration and openness but it's not exactly a gripping story in and of itself. Other than the growth of the characters I don't have a central plot in mind, so I'd like to know if perhaps you have any thought/ideas on what might be fun or you?

NeonFlow NeonFlow

That's why it's a group RP! /joke

You do raise a good point. My idea had been that it was going to be semi-sandbox, so like I give you guys essentially a mission/objectives, and then the team works together on how to proceed. That would allow for exploration and openness but it's not exactly a gripping story in and of itself. Other than the growth of the characters I don't have a central plot in mind, so I'd like to know if perhaps you have any thought/ideas on what might be fun or you?
Yes and no. The idea by itself is fun provided you have a bunch of players play a role to defeat a big monster and reflect on what went good and wrong etc. If I was to suggest plots that can be long term goals apart from kill shit make shit I would be recycling my rp plots. Which I don't mind doing but stuff would need to be added an such and it might detract from people who want to rp monster hunter

Yes and no. The idea by itself is fun provided you have a bunch of players play a role to defeat a big monster and reflect on what went good and wrong etc. If I was to suggest plots that can be long term goals apart from kill shit make shit I would be recycling my rp plots. Which I don't mind doing but stuff would need to be added an such and it might detract from people who want to rp monster hunter
I can understand that! Granted, I was also planning on the players being able to interact in the city more than just making equipment — visiting family, sparring with other hunters, perhaps tutoring younger hunters (once you gain experience)...

So at the moment, with you, we'd have... Ace Cream Ace Cream Topless Topless Tuska Tuska , you, and me. So we'd have five characters, possibly with more. That would be enough for me to make the OOC.

Since this monster hunters is more of a goverment spec ops/survey corps, the plot can be whatever the city needs right? We will weave the underlying plot as we go.

Since this monster hunters is more of a goverment spec ops/survey corps, the plot can be whatever the city needs right? We will weave the underlying plot as we go.
Yeah, the main idea is you're getting materials not only for your gear, but for the survival of the city in general

So it’s basically monster hunter stories, I like it. Will there be only original monsters, or some from the series as well?

So it’s basically monster hunter stories, I like it. Will there be only original monsters, or some from the series as well?
I'd like a mix of both. Toying with the idea of a monster profile thread, but I think that might be too much

mewmilk mewmilk Tuska Tuska Ace Cream Ace Cream NeonFlow NeonFlow Topless Topless

The OOC is up! I'll work on the character sheet and my character now!

(The RP is still open for those interested!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back